Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THERE ARE TWO WAYS TO APPROACH A PROBLEM  (Read 22065 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: THERE ARE TWO WAYS TO APPROACH A PROBLEM
« Reply #180 on: June 11, 2009, 04:08:08 PM »

Another potential topic:

If you could bring back one classic television show for another season of episodes, which would it be and why?

"Quark"

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #181 on: June 11, 2009, 04:12:05 PM »

We have one of those boxes nearby.  I will avoid it & mention your problem to our friends.

Do you really think an Arizona problem is going to affect Oregon?

der Brucer

Did she say it was only local?  I thought it was everywhere.

Ginny

« Reply #182 on: June 11, 2009, 04:15:37 PM »

New Yorkers:  We are looking for advice on getting from Midtown to Schenectady (Scotia, actually) for an 11am Monday ordination of one of Richard's seminary classmates.  My quick look at Amtrak indicated that the earliest train is 7:15, with a 10:30 arrival and that's cutting it too close.  Any suggestions?

Go the night before and stay over.

Yeah, we could do that, but we don't get into LGA until 6-something on Sunday evening.  The latest train to SDY leaves NYP before we even leave Dayton around 4pm.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #183 on: June 11, 2009, 04:17:53 PM »

I am awake and heading to work.  That is all. 

Oh!  and the NEW policy where I work:  you can no longer get a Rewards Card if you don't have an email address. . . .this comes from corporate.

We just got notice that for our payroll, direct deposit will be manditory...no more printed checks.  I've had direct deposit for years, so it's not an issue, but there have been some strong opinions being expressed in e-mails.  Administration says that it's a done deal...it's not optional.

I remember all the bitching when pay day went from cash to check!

der Brucer

You probably remember when it went from pounds to dollars!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Miss Karen

« Reply #184 on: June 11, 2009, 04:19:36 PM »

Story for DR TCB that I hope helps:

When Boo-Key was in 8th grade he wanted a puppy. We went to the Humane Society and he picked out this adorable, little female part German Shepherd and some other mix puppy, but a young college student wanted her, too. Well, they had the rule that since she had just come in, they had to wait the 72 hours to give the original owner the chance to claim her if indeed she were lost and not just dumped. So we and the student were told to come back after the weekend if we were still interested. Yes, we all showed up after the deadline, so they then followed their other rule, a drawing/raffle.  Case drew a number and the other boy drew a number, the other boy won and he got the puppy. We were bummed, especially Case, so we told him are you sure you don't want to look at the other dogs and see if you can find another one you like. He did look, and he did find one:

Our beloved, adorable, doofy, nutty, pound puppy Deuce, who is now going on 9 years as a Murphy (he's some kind of mutt with black lab, border collie, etc., and we kid "coyote" cause he has a wild streak -- he looks like he's wearing a tuxedo with his markings -- his spats saved him, cause his little white feet/paws made him look so cute happily jumping at the side of the cage that day)

(so there were two happy endings that day cause two puppies got placed in loving homes, not just one -- Perfect Kitty is out there, you'll see)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #185 on: June 11, 2009, 04:20:09 PM »

Question for DR MattH (or anyone):

There was a Q&A brief about an actor named Gardner McKay in American Profile (a mag in our local newspaper) and a show he did in the late 50s, early 60s called Adventures in Paradise. It made me wonder:

What TV shows are still available in some type of format for viewing -- just newer shows and the popular shows of the past, or all shows? I mean, are all old shows available -- or are many old TV shows "lost" for good?

Like, if someone wanted to watch an old show, like McKay's, is it even available to the public these days?

Adventures in Paradise was my eldest sister's favorite show.  She had the soundtrack.  The show itself was before my time.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #187 on: June 11, 2009, 04:22:48 PM »

Quote from: Miss Karen link=topic=2164.msg583885#msg583885

[/quote

I have been renting from REDBOX regularly for over a year and have never had a problem - sounds like somebody hacked your local Redbox service.

der Brucer

[/quote]We didn't get a $500 charge -- the card company froze the card because apparently they had enough of this happening that a Red Box charge was a trigger/red flag.
[/quote]

So the real warning is your card might have a freeze put on it to protect the credit card company from potential losses.

It would be interesting to know if this is wide spread or only in your neighborhood.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 04:38:32 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #188 on: June 11, 2009, 04:31:01 PM »

I liked the photo of Anne Hathaway, but a quick comb through her hair before the pic was snapped might have been nice.

However, a lot of ladies seem to like that touseled look. I don't like it.

;D Tousled is my natural look.  It worked much better when I was young.

Miss Karen

« Reply #189 on: June 11, 2009, 04:34:11 PM »

We have one of those boxes nearby.  I will avoid it & mention your problem to our friends.

Do you really think an Arizona problem is going to affect Oregon?

der Brucer

Did she say it was only local?  I thought it was everywhere.
Quote from: Miss Karen link=topic=2164.msg583885#msg583885

[/quote

I have been renting from REDBOX regularly for over a year and have never had a problem - sounds like somebody hacked your local Redbox service.

der Brucer

We didn't get a $500 charge -- the card company froze the card because apparently they had enough of this happening that a Red Box charge was a trigger/red flag.

So the real warning is your card might have a freeze put on it to protect the credit card company from potential losses.

It would be interesting to know if this is wide spread or only in your neighborhood.

[/quote]

I think that was derB's point -- and I have to admit, that wasn't made clear by the card company -- DH got off the phone with the impression it wasn't just us, a local isolated case but a bigger problem (the over view of the conversation is what I detailed earlier ). And the letter dated June 5 from the card company just arrived this afternoon letting us know they tried to call. Guess I'll call them again to see just what is the deal.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 04:37:00 PM by Miss Karen »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #190 on: June 11, 2009, 04:35:10 PM »

I slept extremely poorly last night and I have been dozing most of the afternoon. I suspect I'll be in bed by 9 tonight.  Tomorrow, I've got an early meeting in Toyland, and I'm hoping I get a call to come and pick up a check for the Act Two MOST HAPPY FELLA work; I need to de[posit it to pay my estimated taxes on Monday.

I could use a lot of vibes!

EVERYTHING VIBES FOR DR ELMORE!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“One thing’s universal,

Miss Karen

« Reply #191 on: June 11, 2009, 04:35:27 PM »

Oh!  and the NEW policy where I work:  you can no longer get a Rewards Card if you don't have an email address. . . .this comes from corporate.

We just got notice that for our payroll, direct deposit will be manditory...no more printed checks.  I've had direct deposit for years, so it's not an issue, but there have been some strong opinions being expressed in e-mails.  Administration says that it's a done deal...it's not optional.

der Brucer

He probably remembers trading pretty pebbles and shiny rocks ...

(just teasing ya, derB)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: June 11, 2009, 04:35:56 PM »

New Yorkers:  We are looking for advice on getting from Midtown to Schenectady (Scotia, actually) for an 11am Monday ordination of one of Richard's seminary classmates.  My quick look at Amtrak indicated that the earliest train is 7:15, with a 10:30 arrival and that's cutting it too close.  Any suggestions?

Go the night before and stay over.

Yeah, we could do that, but we don't get into LGA until 6-something on Sunday evening.  The latest train to SDY leaves NYP before we even leave Dayton around 4pm.

Check the  bus schedules from Port authority.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: June 11, 2009, 04:36:38 PM »

der Brucer

My last memory is going from riches to rags.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #194 on: June 11, 2009, 04:37:53 PM »

Vibes to DR Elmore  :-*
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #195 on: June 11, 2009, 04:39:29 PM »

VIBES DR ELMORE!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #196 on: June 11, 2009, 04:41:57 PM »

Story for DR TCB that I hope helps:

When Boo-Key was in 8th grade he wanted a puppy. We went to the Humane Society and he picked out this adorable, little female part German Shepherd and some other mix puppy, but a young college student wanted her, too. Well, they had the rule that since she had just come in, they had to wait the 72 hours to give the original owner the chance to claim her if indeed she were lost and not just dumped. So we and the student were told to come back after the weekend if we were still interested. Yes, we all showed up after the deadline, so they then followed their other rule, a drawing/raffle.  Case drew a number and the other boy drew a number, the other boy won and he got the puppy. We were bummed, especially Case, so we told him are you sure you don't want to look at the other dogs and see if you can find another one you like. He did look, and he did find one:

Our beloved, adorable, doofy, nutty, pound puppy Deuce, who is now going on 9 years as a Murphy (he's some kind of mutt with black lab, border collie, etc., and we kid "coyote" cause he has a wild streak -- he looks like he's wearing a tuxedo with his markings -- his spats saved him, cause his little white feet/paws made him look so cute happily jumping at the side of the cage that day)

(so there were two happy endings that day cause two puppies got placed in loving homes, not just one -- Perfect Kitty is out there, you'll see)

:)  Thanks, Miss Karen!  And it is very nice to have you and Case posting from time to time.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #197 on: June 11, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »

There was a Q&A brief about an actor named Gardner McKay in American Profile (a mag in our local newspaper) and a show he did in the late 50s, early 60s called Adventures in Paradise. It made me wonder:

What TV shows are still available in some type of format for viewing -- just newer shows and the popular shows of the past, or all shows? I mean, are all old shows available -- or are many old TV shows "lost" for good?

Like, if someone wanted to watch an old show, like McKay's, is it even available to the public these days?

Adventures in Paradise was my eldest sister's favorite show.  She had the soundtrack.  The show itself was before my time.

I think Gardner McKay was my first man crush when I was a boy.  Either that or Chuck Conners.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #198 on: June 11, 2009, 04:50:18 PM »

All of the New York area Hainies can rest easier now. 

I almost booked myself for 4th of July Weekend in New York; but, at the last minute I changed my mind.  When I started looking, the air fare prices were pretty good, but next thing you know the weekend was over a thousand dollars and I hadn't even gotten theater tickets yet.

I did want to see Miss Lansbury one more time on Broadway, but I guess that isn't to be either.
“One thing’s universal,

François

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 04:57:56 PM by François »

DAW

« Reply #200 on: June 11, 2009, 04:55:01 PM »

I almost booked myself for 4th of July Weekend in New York; but, at the last minute I changed my mind. 

:(

Miss Karen

« Reply #201 on: June 11, 2009, 04:57:52 PM »

I think Gardner McKay was my first man crush when I was a boy.  Either that or Chuck Conners.

There was a picture of him with the Q&A column -- yep, a good looking man.

DAW

« Reply #202 on: June 11, 2009, 04:59:10 PM »

***VIBE$***
for DR elmore3003!!!!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #203 on: June 11, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »

Another potential topic:

If you could bring back one classic television show for another season of episodes, which would it be and why?

"Quark"

;)

I cannot believe you just said that, George!
“One thing’s universal,

DAW

« Reply #204 on: June 11, 2009, 05:14:38 PM »

I cannot believe you just said that

One might say that about many posts here at HHW.    Mine included!       :D

Miss Karen

« Reply #205 on: June 11, 2009, 05:16:27 PM »

Did anybody watch last night's SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE?

I thought it was pretty good. Lots of great dances. Not sure who my favorites are yet. But i did love ballet melissa's dance. and the last one with kayla and max. And broadway evan and randi were good too.

For DR MBARNUM is here last night's Bollywood number with caitlin and jason. Which was also very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2iK_5t8Gxk

I did. I got hooked on the show last year -- the dancers and choreographers were so impressive. I agree -- I haven't decided on my favs among the couples yet (I had some individual favs coming in based on the little I saw during auditions and now I'm impressed with some that I knew nothing about -- no coverage of them during the auditions) -- I need to see more from the couples first, especially since some were dancing in their genre/comfort zone and some were doing dances they had never tried, plus just starting out as couples I want to see what they do when they're used to each other/developed more chemistry.  That's why I always feel sorry for the first couple cut -- we hardly knew ye!

Jane

« Reply #206 on: June 11, 2009, 05:20:02 PM »

I almost booked myself for 4th of July Weekend in New York; but, at the last minute I changed my mind.  When I started looking, the air fare prices were pretty good, but next thing you know the weekend was over a thousand dollars and I hadn't even gotten theater tickets yet.

I did want to see Miss Lansbury one more time on Broadway, but I guess that isn't to be either.

When we lived on the East Coast I think it rained almost every 4th of July.  I'm not sure that is true or if it only seemed that way, the 4th & every other holiday.  There was one great 4th at Hershey Park-rides, fireworks & no rain :)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #207 on: June 11, 2009, 05:25:27 PM »

According to the ever reliable Wikipedia, Gardner McKay has been dead for 8 years.  When exactly did you read this article, Karen?  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Miss Karen

« Reply #208 on: June 11, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »

DR Jennifer ~ Have you read or heard how they match the couples? Is it strictly drawing from a hat like they supposedly do for the dances each week? I was just wondering cause like Broadway Evan and Randi match each other perfectly (Cat was even kidding them about how cute and short they were -- and she wanted to put them in her pocket -- of course, she's like 6 ft tall) Would it hurt a couple if a really short guy got a really tall girl -- and then when they do the ball room dances, would it look strange, for example?

I really like Cat as a host -- she really grows on ya, I think.

Ginny

« Reply #209 on: June 11, 2009, 05:28:23 PM »

Oh, darn! We're there June 28-July 4 and maybe our trips would have overlapped - are you sure you won't reconsider?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up