Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: BURNING THE MIDNIGHT OIL  (Read 20866 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re: BURNING THE MIDNIGHT OIL
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2011, 06:46:03 PM »

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2011, 06:47:23 PM »

Is it wrong that I enjoyed THE KING'S SPEECH wins even more so because they were at the expense of THE SOCIAL NETWORK?
Um, no.

I agree with John.

I also agree

Social Network was a decent movie but IMHO was not a great movie
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2011, 06:48:13 PM »

Good evening one and all!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2011, 06:55:31 PM »

Hi HHW people! I hope you will forgive me for popping in out of the proverbial blue like this, but I had a question and I thought "Who might know better than the theater-savvy crowd at HHW?"  DH Jed and I went to see Next To Normal at the 5th Ave in Seattle last night. The show opened on Thursday, I believe.  Alice Ripley was still in as Diana and she sounded HORRIBLE!  I had never heard the OCR, so I had nothing to compare it to, and I was astounded at how off-key, raspy, and warbling she sounded.  Jed, who knows the OCR pretty well, sat there with his mouth hanging open.  The final shocker?  They announced over the PA system that her understudy would be taking over for Act 2.  Never seen that happen mid-show before. 
I have seen rumblings on the web that her voice has been having trouble for awhile...

So...anyone know what the deal is? Why is she still doing the show??  It it really just illness or is her voice thrashed beyond repair?
I once saw a dreadful touring production of "South Pacific" with Robert Goulet as the star. The Nellie Forbush couldn't continue after the first act, so they replaced her with another actress. No one said anything. I think they were all asleep.

DR JohnG, was this in 2002 or so?  If it was, I was rather surprised at how good the show was. 
It was sometime between 1986 and 1991, when I was living in upstate New York. I saw it at Proctor's in Schenectady.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2011, 07:01:42 PM »

Is it wrong that I enjoyed THE KING'S SPEECH wins even more so because they were at the expense of THE SOCIAL NETWORK?
Um, no.

I agree with John.

I also agree

Sorry, I guess I don't agree.  Why does the THE KING'S SPEECH victory have to be savored at another film's expense?  Would you also say that you enjoyed THE KING'S SPEECH win as Best Picture at the expense of TOY STTORY 3?  THE SOCIAL NETWORK may not have been Jrand's cup of tea, but millions of people saw and enjoyed the film.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2011, 07:10:27 PM »

DR TCB how is Nicky today?

He seems a little better.  Hopefully it is just a hairball.

Vibes he continues to improve!!!

Jane

« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2011, 07:13:31 PM »

Um, no.

I agree with John.

I also agree

Sorry, I guess I don't agree.  Why does the THE KING'S SPEECH victory have to be savored at another film's expense?  Would you also say that you enjoyed THE KING'S SPEECH win as Best Picture at the expense of TOY STTORY 3?  THE SOCIAL NETWORK may not have been Jrand's cup of tea, but millions of people saw and enjoyed the film.

I don't think he should feel bad about having a natural reaction to something he didn't want to win.  With all the hype between the two I found his reaction understandable.

Jane

« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2011, 07:37:22 PM »

PAYMENT VIBES FOR DR ELMORE!!

John G.

« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2011, 08:21:26 PM »

Watching Jane Russell in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes." She's great, but how did she get top billing over Marilyn Monroe? Must have been a great contract.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2011, 08:21:38 PM »

Finished with my viewing for the evening.

FJL

« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »

Payment vibes indeed for Larry!

Cillaliz

« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2011, 09:05:27 PM »

Not real impressed with the new DWS cast

John G.

« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2011, 09:17:57 PM »

Not real impressed with the new DWS cast
Neither am I. I saw Ralph Macchio in a tour of "How to Succeed ..." and he moved well, but who really cares about him now?
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #193 on: February 28, 2011, 09:31:33 PM »

So, I woke up this morning to discover that I had a short paper due today on a movie of my choice from a list of five or six. I had seen "Lean on Me" ages ago and never wanted to see it again. So I ran to the library to get "Freedom Writers" with Hilary Swenk. Then watched the movie, cranked out four pages and was the second one to turn in the paper. Guess the rest of the class failed to notice the deadline, too.

This would have been a perfect time to finally see ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE, DR John. I would certainly be most curious to see what kind of paper would be written about it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: February 28, 2011, 10:18:28 PM »

I.

Can't.

Sleep.

Too.

Much.

Angst.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #195 on: February 28, 2011, 10:19:09 PM »

So, I woke up this morning to discover that I had a short paper due today on a movie of my choice from a list of five or six. I had seen "Lean on Me" ages ago and never wanted to see it again. So I ran to the library to get "Freedom Writers" with Hilary Swenk. Then watched the movie, cranked out four pages and was the second one to turn in the paper. Guess the rest of the class failed to notice the deadline, too.

This would have been a perfect time to finally see ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE, DR John. I would certainly be most curious to see what kind of paper would be written about it.
Unfortunately, it had to be a movie about education, not an educational movie like ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2011, 10:19:55 PM »

Night, all. And I hope you can get some sleep, Elmore. Bad books on tape sometimes help me.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up