Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RETURN OF L'APPARTEMENT  (Read 2370 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE RETURN OF L'APPARTEMENT
« on: November 22, 2020, 12:06:53 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes returned, and now it is time for you to post until the returning cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE RETURN OF L'APPARTEMENT
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 12:07:30 AM »

And the word of the day is: REGALE!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 04:12:48 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 04:14:16 AM »

DR singdaw, as I type this I am listening to Gounod's St Cecilia Mass, which is quite beautiful.  I hope your Thanksgiving shopping went well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 04:16:36 AM »

DR JohnG, thanks for the Kino information on Mephisto!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 04:18:34 AM »

With all of this Hansel and Gretel discussion, I'm ready to drag out my DVDs!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 04:32:42 AM »

I looked on eBay, and there is quite a bit of the 1954 merchandizing for sale: the Dell comic book, several different posters, stills, jigsaw puzzles, but neither of the two recordings I owned then.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 04:40:48 AM »

I have no plans today, so after a general tidy up, I'll most likely spend the day lying about with the babies.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 05:10:25 AM »

DR elmore3003, the Gounod is beautiful.  And the shopping went off without a hitch; thank you!

I always go very early or very late anyway, to avoid the most germs, but I didn't know if that would work so close to Thanksgiving. But it did.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 05:14:36 AM »

HHW has got me in the mood; I'm going to go watch Hansel und Gretel, and that will be my morning worship.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 05:20:12 AM »

I've moved from Gounod to Britten's "Hymn to St Cecilia" and then to Bach Cantata #147.

ChasSmith

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 05:34:35 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 05:42:39 AM »

Coming across it on cable years ago, I was taken in by Wicker Park. "Disappearance" movies simultaneously fascinate and freak me the hell out. Seeing it a second time a few years after that, it seemed weak. I knew I should follow up on the original, but never got around to it.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 07:32:14 AM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 05:55:01 AM »

Nice merchandizing stuff there, and it makes me wonder if my sister and I had any of that when we were kids. We certainly knew the H&G story, had plenty of childrens' books, and certainly some records. I'll have to ask my sister what she remembers.

Bottom line on my reaction to the opera:  The music is incredibly beautiful throughout, and I hadn't ever dived into it enough to know that. Everyone "knows" the Evening Prayer, of course, but as with most things, hearing it properly played and sung can blow you away.

DR Elmore:  Is there a "best" edition of the score out there, or does it matter?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 06:32:29 AM »

DR Elmore:  Is there a "best" edition of the score out there, or does it matter?

Vocal or orchestral? I had the old Schirmer vocal score, which I recall was only in English in the Constance Bache version used in that 1947 Columbia-Met recording.  I have the Eulenberg miniature score and the larger Dover full score, which is a great deal at $24.95.  There's also a Dover vocal score, also the Constance Bache version, at $19.95, but for $5.00 more you can get the full score.

Theodore Front Music says the Eulenberg miniature score is now $61.00.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 06:41:03 AM »

Sunday.....rainy Sunday.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ChasSmith

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 06:44:23 AM »

Thank you! I love many of Dover’s and might go for both, or at least the full score. Sure beats settling for somebody’s crappy old Kalmus.

Today’s Eulenberg prices are unbelievable. Well, music prices in general. It’s hard for me to fathom how today’s music students buy anything.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 07:32:24 AM by ChasSmith »

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 06:53:08 AM »

On the archeological front, I discovered an unopened tin of Irish steel-cut oatmeal in our pantry. The "sell by" date is in 2013.

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 06:54:35 AM »

On the archeological front, I discovered an unopened tin of Irish steel-cut oatmeal in our pantry. The "sell by" date is in 2013.

Did I ever tell my tale of the Sucrets tin in my bathroom cabinet?

Well, you don’t want to hear it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2020, 07:05:46 AM »

Did I ever tell my tale of the Sucrets tin in my bathroom cabinet?

Well, you don’t want to hear it.

On Friday afternoon, when I took my bath, I removed my Bermuda shorts - I only wear short pants in the apartment because long pants are too painful an ordeal to get into - and hung them on the bathroom door knob. Then I lost them.  I moved them from the door, but I could not remember where the fat hell I moved them to. So . . . yesterday I wore another pair while I searched for the shorts I'd misplaced.  I found them this morning.  I prefer to blame the cats rather than my mental state.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 07:13:03 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 07:33:41 AM »

Cats are a good excuse for a lot of things.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2020, 07:38:59 AM »

I want to be lazy today.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 07:39:09 AM »

I'm succeeding so far.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2020, 07:40:49 AM »

Last night at the grocery, I noticed they had pheasants next to the turkeys. The price was decent, for pheasant, I guess. So, I bought one. It will be dinner Thursday. I haven't figured out how to fix it yet. Auditioning recipes.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2020, 07:43:53 AM »

I just dropped a bottle of olive oil on the kitchen floor.  By the time I lowered myself to the floor with the aid of my walker. I had a big mess to clean up.  Thank God for three things: paper towels, Fantastick, and Stella's not walking though the mess.

John G.

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2020, 07:46:35 AM »

Here’s a nice kitty. Regal.

https://m.hindustantimes.com/it-s-viral/images-of-gorgeous-black-jaguar-named-neron-will-make-you-go-wow-seen-them-yet/story-bcFb4QlWDeIwTNz5LEGH1K.html

Wow! He's beautiful. And huge!

He reminds me of one of my most precious memories. When I was living in Florida, we had a wildlife rehabilitation center in the area. They took in the exotics that the rich would buy and then not know what to do with, such as leopards, large monkeys, you name it. They had a black panther who had a baby, and in the hopes of getting some positive press, they brought the baby to the newspaper office. I got to cuddle the baby. Oh, what a joy. He was an armful, I'll admit, but holding him was indescribable bliss. Somewhere I have a photo of him in my arms. I've looked for that photo, but it's in a folder with other treasured photos and it's filed somewhere where I won't lose it. Right.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2020, 07:51:51 AM »

Let's move on up!
― Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up