Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: MILK DUDS  (Read 43270 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:MILK DUDS
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2007, 10:04:17 AM »

MBarnum, have you ever listened to The Collins Kids? They were a brother and sister rockabilly act from @ the 50's, I think. I was listening to "Whistle Bait" on my iPod (creatively named "My iPod") this morning and thought you might like it.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jennifer

« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2007, 10:05:30 AM »

Re: last night's LOST

SPOILERS

I had not seen the previews so i did not know anything about what desmond would say.  Wow, quite an interesting episode.

It sort of makes me sad that they feel the need to either focus on jack/sawyer/kate or the island. I wish we could see bits of both on the same show. I don't like that we have to wait to find out what sawyer and kate are doing.

Desmond's backstory was quite interesting. But also quite confusing. I couldn't quite figure out if he was dreaming, reliving his life or what.

But wow, what a fantastic revelation that desmond was trying to save charlie. I love it that the older woman told desmond that you can't change what was meant to be. And then desmond tells charlie the same line when explaining things to him.

Now i wonder what will happen to charlie.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 10:08:58 AM by Jennifer »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2007, 10:07:13 AM »

Happy birthday steveg, wherever you are.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2007, 10:07:15 AM »

I would like to read your father's obituary, and I imagine others here would, too. It sounds like you have a wonderful send-off that will honor him well!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2007, 10:16:04 AM »

After that, a trek to the bank to empty dad's safe deposit box: insurance premiums, a CD for $7000 and my mother's wedding rings, which dad left to Randy's daughter Allison.

Have you checked on legal authority - safe deposit boxes and all financial accounts are generally frozen at death until proper probate procedures are followed!

My poor father was hounded by the state of New Jersey for a criminal prosecution because he drew a check on my parents' joint bank account to pay a previsously contracted joint obligation. (That he was executor and sole benficiary mattered not.)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2007, 10:18:44 AM »

I guess I will be buried in my Go-Me-Go Duds.

Why have I visions of you on a flaming raft drifting over the horizon?

der Brucer

And who will edit the film of your end-times?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2007, 10:19:59 AM »

(creatively named "My iPod")

Better than "An iPod"!

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2007, 10:25:54 AM »

I would like to read your father's obituary, and I imagine others here would, too. It sounds like you have a wonderful send-off that will honor him well!

If it's OK with DR Elmore, I can post the link as soon as it's on the website of the local newspaper.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »

My father did not want a funeral, but there was a memorial later which was for him as well as 4 other WW2 veterans and was held at the Vet Hospital Church in Roseburg...so I had no hand in any arrangements.

I do wish I had offered to help my stepmom with the obit as she really got things wrong in it (no mention of his previous marriages or his kids from his first marriage...things like that). Not her fault really as I am sure she wasn't up to par at the time and I don't think dad and she talked about his past much anyway.

MBarnum

« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2007, 10:33:53 AM »

DR Edisaurus, I have never heard of The Collins Kids...but I am now intrigued.

Ginny

« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2007, 10:38:20 AM »

My DH Richard is a member of the honor guard that will be part of Mr. Moore's funeral, but won't be back from Wisconsin in time to participate  :'(
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2007, 10:42:43 AM »

DR Edisaurus, I have never heard of The Collins Kids...but I am now intrigued.

Collins Kids

Larry Collins experienced considerable success as the author of "Delta Dawn" and "You're the Reason God Made Oklahoma," both nominated for Grammy awards, and he recorded his sister singing duets with longtime friends and associates like Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson

der Brucer

Miss Karen

« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2007, 10:44:56 AM »

I dropped my trousers off to this cute little Greek(?) tailor between the age of 60 and 1000 who measured my waist and wrote "open all seams."  

Oh, my.......(just teasing, I know what you meant, but the sentence sounds so... :o...one way to get your mind off all the funeral details...) ;)  Love you, DR ELmo!

Miss Karen

« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2007, 10:47:25 AM »

Pictures, pitchers - all good funeral talk!

der Brucer

Here, here -- or Slainte!

Ben

« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2007, 10:50:28 AM »

Edisaurus said:

It made me think...is this weird, or have other DR's chosen a song or two for their funeral? If so, what would they be?

Nope, retentive man that I am, I placed a couple of suggestions in my last wishes document. I did say that whoever arranges may play whatever they want (within reason) but I want two songs played, "Until I Met You (Corner Pocket)" from the Manhattan Transfer Mecca for Moderns album and "What Would I Do?" from Falsettoland. No matter how many times I've heard the song it still makes me cry.

MBarnum

« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2007, 10:51:55 AM »

I love the pop music of the 70s...and that includes disco!

Band of Gold

Tighter and Tighter

Rose Garden

Precious and Few

Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes

If I Can't Have You

Love is the Answer

Here Comes that Rainy Day Feeling Again

Sky High

I Feel The Earth Move

Lotta Love

If You Could Read My Mind

I'd Love You To Want Me

For the Love of Him

Snowbird

Hello It's Me

After Noon Delight

Peace Train

Everything is Beautiful

I Can Help

Raindrops Keep Fallin on my Head

I Just Wanna Stop

The Hustle

Every Time I Think of You

You Are The Woman

Bungle in the Jungle

We Just Disagree

Baker Street

Lido Shuffle

Moonlight Feels Right

Gold

Fox on the Run

Whew....that was a looooong list! But I do really love 70s music....that is when I really started listening to contemporary popular music.

Miss Karen

« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2007, 10:52:35 AM »

German/English

But the large Italian/Polish/Irish immigrant community in Philly
surely influenced family habits.

der Brucer

Hey, the Germans and English like their libations (and pubs), too.  Come to think of it, there are only a few cultures/heritages that don't...so I guess the Irish don't have that market cornered...

MBarnum

« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2007, 10:53:49 AM »

Oh, and just about anything by The Carpenters, The Doobie Brothers, Paul Davis, and George Harrison (solo).

MBarnum

« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2007, 10:54:41 AM »

Least favorite 70s stuff...anything by The Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, or The Eagles.  :P

DERBRUCER

« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2007, 10:55:35 AM »

Oh, my.......(just teasing, I know what you meant, but the sentence sounds so... :o...one way to get your mind off all the funeral details...) ;)  Love you, DR ELmo!

Well...I abstained! (dropped trou, indeed :o)

der Brucer

Miss Karen

« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2007, 10:57:20 AM »

I'm sure my GaGa is showing him around the other side right now!

I hope your GaGa greets me at the Gate (IF and when I arrive) playing a tune on that ukulele -- with all her bandmates -- how fun would that be?!

MBarnum

« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2007, 10:58:35 AM »

If I were to have a memorial service I would likely choose SEASONS IN THE SUN....cause that would make everyone cry.  ;)

Or I could choose one of my favorite Hindi or Arabic pop songs....that would also make everyone cry, I suppose.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2007, 10:58:36 AM »

Hey, the Germans and English like their libations (and pubs), too.  Come to think of it, there are only a few cultures/heritages that don't...so I guess the Irish don't have that market cornered...

The English and Irish have the 100 proof market cornered!

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2007, 11:00:16 AM »

Dan the Man - Did you ever see the brief, uptempo rendition of "At Seventeen" on THE SIMPSONS,  with gorgeous beauty pageant contestants smiling and singing "We learned the truth at seventeen, That love was meant for beauty queens!!!"

DERBRUCER

« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2007, 11:03:16 AM »

I hope your GaGa greets me at the Gate (IF and when I arrive) playing a tune on that ukulele -- with all her bandmates -- how fun would that be?!

It could be worse:

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2007, 11:04:16 AM »

A two-fer:

der Brucer

Miss Karen

« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2007, 11:13:33 AM »

It made me think...is this weird, or have other DR's chosen a song or two for their funeral? If so, what would they be?

Nope, not weird.  I know lots of folks who have picked out songs for their funerals.  Cason's Paw-Paw had his whole funeral mapped out (songs, passages, verses, folks to participate, down to the military burial) and it was great cause "it was all him" -- had Pat Muphy written, literally and figuratively, all over it.

Now, for me, I'd want "Wild Night" by Van Morrison playing, followed immediately by John Mellencamp's version -- not that it's really a funeral type song, but it's one of my favorites and it always makes me want to dance when I hear it, so I want to go out dancing and have everyone feeling the dance vibe that day as well -- with me naked (who needs clothes at a closed casket funeral) in a pine box with all the money saved going to the Humane Society...but alas, I'm being cremated with a wake (no service, no burial) so maybe they can play "Wild Night" (among other favorites) at the wake. I really like the idea behind the Irish Wake -- a time to celebrate the life and times of the dearly departed... piece of toast, in my case...

Miss Karen

« Reply #147 on: February 15, 2007, 11:16:25 AM »

The English and Irish have the 100 proof market cornered!

der Brucer

Here! Here!  ... Slainte!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2007, 11:17:06 AM »

-- with me naked (who needs clothes at a closed casket funeral) in a pine box...

Not sure I like the idea of entering the hereafter with splinters in my ass :-\

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2007, 11:25:28 AM »

SPLINTER IN THE ASS - wasn't that an old film, or am I thinking of Splendor in...oh, never mind.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up