Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RUG STORY  (Read 20344 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
RUG STORY
« on: November 10, 2004, 12:01:33 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're now in the know and up on the latest, so therefore it is time for you to post until the rugged cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 12:01:31 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:RUG STORY
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 12:45:14 AM »

This reminds me that I also need to get some rugs for my new home environment.
Today is my last day in Budapest, alas. It's lovely out - which it wasn't yesterday. This morning I go out to the cemetery to visit my father's grave. After that, the day is more or less free. Cabaret (in Hungarian) in the evening.
Just arranged for the shuttle pick-up tomorrow. 4 AM. That should be fun. DD lives on a pedestrians only street, so I'll have to lug my bags down the stairs and around the corner. Ouch.
Will catch up with the posts after I'm back in LA. Lovely pics, Jane!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 01:00:11 AM »

William Shatner probably has a number of rug stories to tell.

A question for all: is there a restrarant or two (or more) that you have always wanted to try, but have never had the chance to visit?  Let's make it interesting, and allow for the restaurant to be anywhere in the world, and time travel is also allowed.

Myself first.  One restaurant in Los Angeles that der Brucer and I kept promising ourselves to visit, but never did, is Musso and Frank's, one of BK's favorites.  I'm still unclear as to why we never went there; we certainly were in the neighborhood often enough.  Our timing was never right, I guess.

I'd love to go to Commander's Palace in New Orleans someday.  I've no desire to be in that city during Mardi Gras, it's my thing about crowds, but at any other time I think it would be wonderful.

And, for a little time travel, I wish we could have gone to Windows on the World in NYC.  
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 04:35:37 AM »

Oh, my. Only two posts after Mr. BK. What shall we do?

I guess I will have to post before beginning my work day.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 04:42:04 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've got a bit of traveling today.  First, down to the recording office to pull  LADY OF THE SLIPPER materials, then City Opera for their CINDERELLA dress, back home to check out what's happening on HHW.  At 5:30, I meet DRs Ben and Jose at Barrymore's.

DRSWW, while I like cooking and ceertainly like food, I've always preferred to spend money on a book, a piece of music, something tangible, over a great dinner in a restaurant.  As a result, I don't think too much about dining out.  I'm going to be a dud on your question, I fear.  When I was a college Latin major, I wanted to go to The Forum of the Twelve Caesars in New York, which seemed the height of Roman Empire chic in restaurants.  If I could time travel, it would be to dine at Maxim's around 1905 in Paris.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 04:43:36 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 04:44:24 AM »

Yesterday TD asked:

"Way off-topic, but, has anyone tried the newest web browser FIREFOX?  It supposedly fixes all the security issues that are associated with Interntet Explorer, and believe me, there are multitudes of issues with IE."

I use Firefox at work. I also continue to use IE because (warning, rant ahead), many Web site producers have bought into the idea that Microsoft is the be all and end all of computer operating systems and they "optimize" their Web pages so they only work properly when viewed using Internet Explorer. I usually have two browsers open when I'm working. One of them is always at a specific search page (which only works properly in IE) and the other I use for searching and reference work. When I come across a page that won't load properly in Firefox I copy the address and view it in IE. Firefox is simple to use, if you have a high speed connection it's a pretty quick download and you have control over how the browser operates. If you don't have the updated version of IE (available through a buggy Microsoft download called SP2 or Service Pack 2) then you don't have an automatic pop-up blocker which comes standard as part of Firefox.

Neither one of them (even the updated IE) will necessarily stop "spyware" or "adware" but Firefox is written to be much less vulnerable to certain attacks from programs using plug-ins such as Active X and Direct X.

I would download and use Firefox (I haven't done it at home only because we have dial-up and I don't want to tie up the phone for an hour or more while it downloads) with the proviso that you will probably, from time to time, have to use IE to see a page properly. Can't say how often it will happen, but it will probably happen.

And that ends your technology lesson for today.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 04:51:25 AM »

And now, I actually have a question. Isn't that exciting? Isn't that just too too?

I took the CD of One Touch of Venus (with songs from Lute Song) out of the New York Public Library. It's part of the Decca Broadway Gold series and it's now out of print. Well, of course, the inside of the book is missing! I know the story of One Touch of Venus, but what the hell happens in Lute Song? I've searched all over and can't find a plot synopsis. I can find all sorts of references to the fact that Mary Martin and Nancy Davis (Reagan) play Chinese court women (Yes, that Miss Davis, before she moved out West and met a certain governor/president) and that Yul Brynner played the male lead and it's a love story with music based on the famous Chinese play "Pi-Pa-Ki" by Kao-Tong-Kia and Mao-Tseo but I can't find any kind of synopsis. Being the somewhat obsessive character that I am, I would like to have some idea of what's going on. Since the CD is out of print, it precludes an easy purchase and I don't see other copies in the library. I am sure there are some eriudite souls at this here ginchy Web site who know the plot for Lute Song.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 07:15:47 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 04:58:51 AM »

While I have eaten at some really wonderful restaurants, La Côte Basque, Union Square Café (not 4 star in the NYTimes but still a grand experience), Le Bernardin and the original Le Cirque, all those experiences (except for Union Square which was a 50th birthday treat) were happy accidents of time and place. I never would have chosen to go on my own. I don't want to repeat Larry's post, but I too would prefer to spend the money on something else, probably theatre tickets. I eat to live (not saying that anyone else lives to eat mind you). I certainly enjoy eating out with friends and eating dinner, etc., but if I could take a pill so that I would never have to eat another meal again, unless I wanted to, I would do it without looking back. Having to eat can sometimes be such an imposition and it would certainly solve some of the world's biggest problems, i.e. hunger. Anyway, that's just a little bit of my unchecked philosopy too early in the morning. Now, back to work.

See ya later, Larry!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 06:21:48 AM by Ben »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 05:47:04 AM »

Good Morning!

-About to head out into the city for a day's worth of fun, frolic and more fun!

Last night's dinner was wonderful, and the bartender seemed to be in a very generous mood.  Two words:  Pineapple grappa!

WOW!

::)

I'll check in post-Cinderella...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 06:14:40 AM »

While I have eaten at some really wonderful restaurants, La Cote Basque (don't have the characters for the circumflex and accents, sorry), Union Square Cafe

Sure you do. ALT+0244 gives you ô (Circumflex)
                      ALT + 0233 gives you é (Acute)

La Côte Basque, Union Square Café

Voilà (ALT+0224) (Grave)

der pendant Brucer

PS If you are anally retentive and a Windows user, have charmap.exe on a toolbar always at the ready

« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 06:18:12 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 06:21:10 AM »

Thanks, DerBrucer. I've changed my post to reflect your kind assistance.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 06:21:48 AM »

but if I could take a pill so that I would never have to eat another meal again, unless I wanted to, I would do it without looking back. Having to eat can sometimes be such an imposition and it would certainly solve some of the world's biggest problems, i.e. hunger.

Your pill would also go a long way solving NYC's waste disposal problems. (The Sewers Workers Union would probably have it outlawed!)

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 06:24:25 AM »

Two words:  Pineapple grappa!

WOW!

::)

A few of those followed by ButtCheek Grabba, no doubt!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 06:28:26 AM »

DR  Jane, those photos yesterday were TRULY spectacular.  Foliage season has past us here in western New York, and we have entered into snow season.  Yes, I said snow.  We had a snow....(hmmm, there should be a word that indicates something between a squall and a storm)...anyway, it snowed Monday night, just in time for the evening rush hour, and it was a bear to get through!

DR DerBrucer, those puppies are just about the cutest things I ever done seen.  (except perhaps the person to whom BK pays his rent.  Or is it Panni?)

BK, in case the launch at the mystery bookshop in the Village of Greenwich does not work out, there is also one on West 56 Street, between 6th & 7th, a few doors down from the Parker Meridien.

I can't think of any questions for AskBK day right now, but perhaps later.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 06:41:12 AM »

...I've always preferred to spend money on a book, a piece of music, something tangible, over a great dinner in a restaurant.  

OK then, what musical performance would you most like to attend (time travel allowed)?

My two choices would be:

The première of Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" at Paul Whiteman's concert "An Experiment in Modern Music" in 1924 at Aeolian Hall (with brilliant arrangementsby your good friend Ferde Grofé). (Wow, that sentence sure gave charmap.exe a workout.) (But the sie wouldn't do the fance AE for Aeolian :()

The première performance of Mozart's "Don Giovanni" at Prague, National Theater, October 29, 1787

der Brucer

« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 06:42:40 AM by DERBRUCER »

Ben

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 06:43:10 AM »

First performance at the Globe Theatre in London

DERBRUCER

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 06:51:05 AM »

While I have eaten at some really wonderful restaurants, La Côte Basque

My internet search yields a before and after:

Before: (from NY Metro)

La Cote Basque
60 W. 55th St. (Midtown West)

This restaurant has closed.

Decorated with harbor murals of St. Jean de Luz, dark ceiling beams and buttercream walls, the room feels as rich as chef-owner Jean-Jacques Rachou's repertoire: Cassoulet Toulousain. Boeuf Bordelaise. Veal kidneys in mustard. Specialties of the house -- anything involving truffles or foie gras -- pad the $70 prix fixe. But in a place like this, who's counting?

Recommended Dishes: Terrine of Foie Gras, Cassoulet Toulousain, Veal Kidneys in Mustard Sauce, Monkfish with Truffle and Madeira Sauce, $68 prix fixe

After: (From CitySearch)

La Cote Basque is reinvented, serving its familiar, old-school French fare in a cleverly re-done room.

The Scene
Goldenrod-colored walls trimmed with dark-wood accents, tile floor, brass rails, aged mirrors and frosted tulip lamps make the formerly stuffy room feel like a midtown sibling of Pastis and Balthazar. Once awash with hushed, reverent conversation, the space now bustles with a mixed crowd, though it's not quite as hip as the groovy lounge music might suggest. The relaxed service seems happy to have exhaled, though staff still sport bowties and whip off silver dish domes with grand "voila!" gestures.

The Food
The refreshingly retro menu includes supple, garlicky escargot, a flaky, smoky onion tart and wonderful classics like rich pot au feu, with a generous portion of short ribs, sausage, chicken and marrow-packed bones simmering in a leek-infused beef broth. Tender steak with fryer-fresh frites and airy souffles trnasport diners straight to Paris. The only sign of jetlag is the stringy seared foie gras.

Has the mighty indeed so fallen?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 06:54:57 AM »

BK asks: Does anyone wish to volunteer for the Unseemly Interview formatting job?

Does it involve much more than horsing around stuff in Word?

Is there a prize involved? (A Free Pass for 10 groans on HHW would be nice).

der Brucer (some day I'll tell the story about the charity auction in which I sold 5 "Bruce Shut Up" cards)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2004, 07:02:40 AM »

Hmmmmmm.....ANY restaurant in ROME!!!  I have dined in The Plaza in NYC and Sardi's and Joe Allen's - all very nice!  

Would love to have been at the first performance of The Bolero!

My question for today.....I have heard of A FAREWELL TO ARMS and ARMS AND THE MAN and Russell Arms....but why are some apartment buildings called Arms.....I was watching a movie the other day and there it was again....Azure Arms Apartments.  What the hell does that mean?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2004, 07:02:58 AM »

Re La Côte Basque: I had heard that a new place w/the same name re-opened. I will stay with my memories of the old place which, was, indeed, wonderful. The service, the food, the decor and the ambience all converged to make a beautiful dining experience. This was in the mid-80s and we had the prix fixe lunch which was affordable (it also had not moved to its last location on 55th Street between Fifth and Sixth, it was still at the original location.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 07:04:41 AM by Ben »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2004, 07:04:32 AM »

Oh.....IE has so many popups that I couldn't get rid of no matter what I did, that I switched to Mozilla.org  a simple download and NO popups.  I also keep IE open in the background, but I have not yet found a page that didn't download in Mozilla....sometimes pictures or mouse descriptions (when you point your mouse and get a popup describing what you are pointing at) are problems, but rarely.

Firefox....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ben

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2004, 07:06:26 AM »

Firefox is actually developed by the same people who created Mozilla. It's an offshoot of Mozilla.org. If you use Mozilla, you've got a lot of what is in Firefox so you don't need to think about switching.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2004, 07:23:51 AM »

TODAY'S LITANY
(From the AP):
Falwell Forms Evangelical Coalition
Wednesday, November 10, 2004

RICHMOND, Va. — Seeking to take advantage of the momentum from an election where moral values proved important to voters, the Rev. Jerry Falwell  announced Tuesday he has formed a new coalition to guide an "evangelical revolution."

Falwell, a religious broadcaster based in Lynchburg, Va., said the Faith and Values Coalition  will be a "21st century resurrection of the Moral Majority," the organization he founded in 1979.

Falwell said he would serve as the coalition's national chairman for four years.

He added that the new group's mission would be to lobby for anti-abortion conservatives to fill openings on the Supreme Court and lower courts, a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, and the election of another "George Bush-type" conservative in 2008.

"We all, for the first time, began to realize the potential of religious conservatives, particularly evangelicals, when something over 30 million of them went to the polls," he said, noting most supported the president and anti-abortion candidates, and voted to approve 11 initiatives across the country banning gay marriage.

Also, a decision by the Massachusetts Supreme Court allowing gay marriages "helped energize our people," Falwell said.
And when San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom  began performing gay marriages, it "really caught the attention of people of faith in this country, and what we have been saying could happen actually happened," he said.

"The timing could not have been better. That, along with the abortion issues and the terrorism issue, helped us to get our people awakened."

From these, and all other devils garbed with angels wings, Good Lord, deliver us!
der Brucer

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2004, 07:27:44 AM »

What a great idea, SWW.  I would love to time-travel to Delmonico's in 1880s New York City and the Brown Derby in 1930's Hollywood (and if we could stretch the definition of "restaurant" a bit, '30s Hollywood would also be a great place to stay and visit Mocambo's and the Cocoanut Grove and Ciro's and and and...)

:)
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2004, 07:29:12 AM »

Okay I will stop thinking...thanks dRBEN!

4 pm EST today on TCM:  DECEPTION, a movie with Bette Davis that was discussed here a couple of weeks ago!

Nicest collection of rugs I have ever seen was when the TV camera took a reverse angle of the Lawrence Welk band!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2004, 07:29:51 AM »

Stuart: The Mysterious Bookshop on 56th is the first store we called, since I've been a customer since the seventies and know the owner well.  But they don't do signings anymore - haven't for fifteen years.  They will carry the book and I'll be signing their stock when I'm in town.

The event I alluded to yesterday is on and happening - I just heard.  So, mark your calendars, you NY people - it's December 6 at Partner's in Crime in Greenwich Village.  I'll have all the details, but we're inviting some pretty interesting people who I'm hoping will show up.  It's a combo launch party/signing and it will be a ton of fun.  I'm hoping all our east coast hainsies/kimlets will attend and I'm also hoping we can have a proper hainsies/kimlets get-together the night before or the night after.  I'm going to fly in on the 5th (I have a signing in LA on the 4th), and leave the morning of my birthday, the 8th, unless I decide to leave on an afternoon flight on the 7th.  I'll have complete details by the end of the week.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2004, 07:31:24 AM »

What terrific news, derBrucer.  *sigh*

NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Ben

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2004, 07:34:17 AM »

Here is a link to the Bookstore.

http://www.crimepays.com/

Since the signing is in December, they don't yet have BK on the Calendar but you can wander through the Web site anyway.

PARTNERS & CRIME
MYSTERY BOOKSELLERS in
GREENWICH VILLAGE
44 Greenwich Avenue (corner of Charles)
New York, NY 10011  
Phone: (212) 243-0440   Fax: (212) 243-4624  
Store hours: Noon until 8:00 Mon-Thurs; 10:00 Fri-Sat
7:00 Sun

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2004, 07:43:48 AM »

New York in December!!!  I hope I win the lottery in the next couple of weeks, and I will be THERE!  8)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 07:44:14 AM by JRand54 »

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2004, 07:46:47 AM »

Even though I've been there many times before, where I'd really like to have dinner tonight is Barrymore's.   Have fun Ben, Jose, and Larry!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up