Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GLOBAL NOTES  (Read 81734 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:THE GLOBAL NOTES
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2005, 08:07:20 AM »

Anal retentive post alert:  I managed to stop myself from correcting whoever called an original cast recording a soundtrack a while ago, but as the resident Sergio Mendes freak here, I must state for the record (Fool on the Hill, according to La Jolie Femme) that he spelled his band with an "S", not a "Z"--Brasil '66.  However, it is very interesting to see some of the CD reissues of his work, where both his surname and his bandname are spelled with a "Z".  As the Great Beast Aleister Crowley so wisely prophesied almost 100 years ago, "Spelling is defunct."  (Though I don't think he meant that kind of spelling, LOL).

La Jolie Femme, you can see a picture of me with Sergio at:

http://hometown.aol.com/jmkauffman/page1.html

This is the same page that has a nice picture of our very own BK at Jerry's in Encino, and that picture in turn has a little Afikomen (the Jewish Easter Egg) that you can look for and find.

Jose:  yes, thanks for your help with the Confession stuff.  What I was actually wondering was if there were rote *amounts* of Hail Marys and Our Fathers that were routinely given as penance (e.g., "Do 500 Hail Marys and 17,000 Our Fathers", etc.).  But I think I finessed that section of the book.

Now I am waiting for DR Francois (how does one do a cedilla online?  I can't get the Ctrl+',C to work when I'm online for some reason) to answer my IM for help with the French sections.  Maybe La Jolie Femme would like to step into the fray?

BK:  check your email.  I gave you the wrong name to drop yesterday.  Sorry.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #151 on: January 07, 2005, 08:16:19 AM »

Elmoore:  I scored the David Maddux CD on eBay yesterday.  Hopefully the rest of his stuff is wretched so that I can commiserate with you.   ;D

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2005, 08:19:27 AM »

I am my own mini-frenzy.

Media check:

CD:  I've been on a Gilberto kick for the last two days.  Yesterday I did Bebel (well, I listened to Bebel, anyway).  And this morning I have her Dad, the great Joao, on that fantastic World Pacific CD that has his first 2 LPs on it, the ones that started the Bossa Nova craze in 1958.  What fantastic music.

DVD:  I am kind of loathe to admit I'm watching the Mummy sequels from the Universal Legacy collection.  They're so bad they're enjoyable.  Is that Arnold Moss playing the sneaky Arab (was there any other kind in movies back then) in The Mummy's Hand?  Haven't had a chance to look on IMDb yet.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2005, 08:20:25 AM »

I did watch "Committed" last night...and as it followed the lethally dreary "Joey," it practically shone.

I had two laughs...both involving pies...Poston got one and Newhart got the other (laugh and pie).  The rest was okay, but seemed strained.  Nice bit with the mailman and the ditz's friend (sorry, but recalling their names at this point isn't worth my energies),  The animosity between the lead and the handicapped man tries much too hard and, as a result, fails to amuse.

NBC, at one point, promoed an "all new 'Committed'" following "Will and Grace," but it was a repeat of the first episode. (Does anyone else think the cast of "Will and Grace" is looking decidedly older/chunkier?  Earlier this season, only Debra Messing seemed bloated...now they're all looking that way).

DVDs:  I'm delighted to see that the fourth (and arguably BEST) season of "Frasier" is forthcoming on DVD.  This is the season that produced "Ham Radio," the ever-hilarious episode in which the radio station attempts to recreate "live drama" with Frasier "directing and starring" in a tale of mystery (and much, much WOE).

It's also the season that begat the episode in which Daphne discovers, in one of Martin's boxes in storage, a electric shaving cream dispenser.  She decides to try it out and plugs it into the guest bath.  Late in the episdoe, one of the great comedic sight gags ensues as Niles emerges covered in hot foamy shaving cream.

I've preordered this, plus the fourth season of "Oz" and the two MGM musical 2-DVD sets coming out in the spring -- "Easter Parade" and "The Band Wagon."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 09:00:17 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2005, 08:21:45 AM »

Good golly, miss (unsinkable) Molly! Much too much time taken from work to read through all of the morning's notes.

CD Player: Haines His Way (to hear the Natalie Toro track again: we just caught her playing Mary Magdalen in the JCS tour... imagine, if you will, three orthodox Jews at a production of JCS, and all of us apparently knowing more about Christianity than the yapping couple behind us... "Yes! That's where communion comes from, and that's where the expression 'Judas kiss' derives from.")

DVD drive: most recently "Kissing Jessica Stein" (good lord, but there's a lot of my favorite Jewish stage actresses in this thing... Tova Feldshuh, Idina Menzel, Ilana Levine, Jackie Hoffman... also, how often does a guy get to watch lesbian action in a "chick flick" with his wife? :) )

Okay, time to put the yoke back on...

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #155 on: January 07, 2005, 08:24:53 AM »

I am wearing a bra with heavenly uplift and I do believe my close personal friend Jose is wearing a bra with the revolutionary cantilever principal.

As designed by Leonardo Howard Hughes:

Hughes designed a better garment to show off Russell's cleavage in 1943's "The Outlaw." Hughes built aircraft and interested some of his best engineers in designing the first cantilevered bra for Russell.
The bra, which lifts and separates the breasts, helped Russell to become a legend.

(Above courtesy of CNN STYLE)

However, he never did design a ball-stretcher.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #156 on: January 07, 2005, 08:26:07 AM »

Mawnin', mawnin'!

Wow - it has taken 2 cups of coffee to get through these fershluggeneh notes!! Does no one sleep???

Just checkin' in before heading off to the parents. Thanks, all DR's, for such nice vibes yesterday. Actually, it isn't bad over there. We all move as if under water, so slowly... and time whizzes past in a flurry. Who will I be when I am not Their Daughter any more??

DR VixMom!! I read your post from yesterday, asking about my show... sorry to have been unclear for our Noo Yawk DR's... I hesitate to self-promote too much on this site (yeah, right) - but I can guarantee a wonderful evening, full of laughs and music, at the Clurman Theatre March 16-27. My show is JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY, based on my novel of the same name. DR JoseSPiano is Music Director. Tickets are already on sale at TicketCentral. Butts in Seats!!! I will be posting more about the show as we get closer.

Okay, off I go to the p's for the final time before I head back to the greatest city in the world. Another leave-taking. Have a good day, friends.
PennyO

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #157 on: January 07, 2005, 08:28:43 AM »

The "bro" may, indeed, exist in real time, but it was an "invention" on the comedy series "Seinfeld," created by both Kramer and George's dad.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #158 on: January 07, 2005, 08:36:58 AM »

DR VixMom!! I read your post from yesterday, asking about my show... sorry to have been unclear for our Noo Yawk DR's... I hesitate to self-promote too much on this site (yeah, right) - but I can guarantee a wonderful evening, full of laughs and music, at the Clurman Theatre March 16-27. My show is JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY, based on my novel of the same name. DR JoseSPiano is Music Director. Tickets are already on sale at TicketCentral. Butts in Seats!!! I will be posting more about the show as we get closer.

Well I will see if I can get myself (and a few others) there, if nothing else maybe, I can get WFO to join me.  It would be lovely of we could arrange a Hansie/Kimlet meet! :D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 08:37:35 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #159 on: January 07, 2005, 08:41:59 AM »

However, he never did design a ball-stretcher.

der Brucer

Perhaps he had no need of one.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 08:43:15 AM by RLP »

Jennifer

« Reply #160 on: January 07, 2005, 09:10:49 AM »

A plan is afoot to make cast replacements in long-running Broadway shows eligible for Tony Awards:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01072005/entertainment/37801.htm

Personally I would love it if they did this.

Ginny

« Reply #161 on: January 07, 2005, 09:12:56 AM »

New slogan for HHW:  The Site that Never Sleeps!

Friday media report:

CD (car) - The bk/Borders compilation that was discussed here earlier this week and mentioned by DRvixmom this morning.

DVD - PBS' Broadway: The American Musical - finally came in on my library request list.  I've seen bits and pieces as it's been broadcast on our local stations, but I'm looking forward to the bonus features.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #162 on: January 07, 2005, 09:14:49 AM »

We had a wonderful meeting with my cousin from Sheffield last night. Went much longer than I thought it would. Even though we've never met, we talked for hours. One of his aunts even remembers my father who was in England during WWII. He was able to look up relatives in Sheffield (where my grandmother, his mother, came from) and spent a few days with them. I think all the other relatives from that time have passed away but she remembers my father's visit. She must have been a young child at the time. Ray (my cousin) is a great guy and it was a real treat to meet him.

How wonderful.  I'm still looking forward to a trip to England to meet long lost cousins.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 09:15:18 AM by Jane »

Ginny

« Reply #163 on: January 07, 2005, 09:21:39 AM »

For Jane and others in Oregon:

On Fridays, I spend a lot of time here at work catching up on my book selection tasks (I select all of the 900's - history -  for the library system).  In one of the vendor magazines there is a 2-page profile of Grass Roots Books & Music in Corvallis.  Sounds like a very cool place in a very nice college town.  Has anyone been there?  Makes me want to take a trip back to my birth state (I was born in Portland) and meet all of you who live there.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #164 on: January 07, 2005, 09:23:26 AM »

Matt H, we finally disagree on a show.  Granted we didn’t give COMITTED much of a chance and turned it off after a few minutes.

Ann don’t change your enchanting avatar.

I have mentioned this before but since the subject was mentioned, I spent a very fun evening dancing the Mashed Potato with Jeff Bridges.

Jane

« Reply #165 on: January 07, 2005, 09:25:09 AM »

Ginny I have never been to Corvallis but it sounds like fun if you will be there.

Must do errands before we get snowed in.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #166 on: January 07, 2005, 09:41:54 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

WOW!  I wake up this morning, and there are already SIX PAGES of posts!...

;)

...Well, I need to head downstairs and mix up my oatmeal...

As one of my refrigerator magnets says: "Out of my mind...  Back in five minutes!"
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #167 on: January 07, 2005, 09:45:23 AM »

A plan is afoot to make cast replacements in long-running Broadway shows eligible for Tony Awards:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01072005/entertainment/37801.htm

Personally I would love it if they did this.

It would be interesting to see if this ever came to fruitition.  I wonder if such a rule would actually influence the original cast members to stay on longer.  I dunno...  But then again, it could also bode not so well for future star and stunt casting.

Alas, it could not take effect this season due to the Tony procedures - it would have to be voted on and put into effect before the start of the season rather mid-season.  Sorry Harvery Fierstein and Brooke Shields.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2005, 10:03:54 AM »

I'm still looking forward to a trip to England to meet long lost cousins.

Would it not be best to delay your trip until they are found?

der always-helpful Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2005, 10:05:36 AM »

Okay, time to put the yoke back on...

Is this "gimme" set up for "The Yoke's On You"?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2005, 10:09:13 AM »

WARNING - BLITHERING NONSENSE AHEAD!

MOVE OVER TINKY-WINKY!
An alert from WhakosRUs:

Researcher Says Children's 'Tolerance' Video Promotes Homosexuality
Latest Version Going Out to Public and Private Schools Nationwide
By Jim Brown and Jody Brown
January 4, 2005
(AgapePress) - A pro-family group is accusing homosexual activists of using popular children's TV characters to indoctrinate young children into their lifestyle. Specifically, the group is questioning the intention of a new children's video featuring those characters.

SpongeBob SquarePants, Barney the Dinosaur, Arthur, Dora the Explorer, JoJo, Clifford the Big Red Dog, Big Bird, Bob the Builder -- those and many others are among the characters starring in a music video remake of the 1970s song "We Are Family" that is designed to promote diversity and tolerance in the classroom.

Ed Vitagliano, a researcher for the American Family Association, questions the motives behind the project. The problem, he says, is that it is an "open door" to a secondary discussion of homosexuality.

"When you go to the We Are Family Foundation website, there is a 'tolerance pledge' that children and others are encouraged to sign, which includes sexual orientation," he explains. That, he says, is the crux of the problem. "While we want everyone to respect other people's beliefs, we do not consider it appropriate for children's television to be used in an effort to indoctrinate children to accept homosexuality."

The pro-family researcher sees an age-old tactic being employed by those behind the project. "This is a bait-and-switch approach. It's been used for years," he says, "and homosexuals are now using well-known and beloved children's television characters in an effort to use [them] as bait and switch."

der Brucer

JMK

« Reply #171 on: January 07, 2005, 10:10:00 AM »

In one of the vendor magazines there is a 2-page profile of Grass Roots Books & Music in Corvallis.  Sounds like a very cool place in a very nice college town.  Has anyone been there?  

Yes, I think I went in there when I was playing a show in the beautiful restored theater there I mentioned to MB the other day (as opposed to the rundown, funky one in Salem, LOL).  It's an OK used record store, nothing too amazing.  Portland has tons of used record stores, though, and it's one of my favorite pastimes to browse amongst them.  There are four or five of them downtown within a stone's throw of Powell's, the biggest bookstore on the planet.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #172 on: January 07, 2005, 10:13:04 AM »

Well I will see if I can get myself (and a few others) there, if nothing else maybe, I can get WFO to join me.  It would be lovely of we could arrange a Hansie/Kimlet meet! :D

I am on the telephone with WFO now an we are going to try to arrange a double date,  he and his Joe and me and my DH, to see the matinee performance on the 26th, we just have to finish checking our respective calenders before we buy the tix   :D

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

DERBRUCER

« Reply #173 on: January 07, 2005, 10:16:01 AM »

I've also been eating very bad that past week.  I almost felt like I was eating self-destructively at times.  Of course, the reason - a.k.a. excuse - was that the donut, cookie, bowl of ice cream, serving of french fries, etc. - I was eating at the time was going to be the last one for a while.  My sort of farewell to "bad food" for the time being.  Sometimes I would have a few "farewells" in one day.  

::Von Trapp Children enter from stage left; each child bears a bowl/plate/basket brimming with yummylicious delectables. The children parade past the piano player, leaving their caloric offerings on the Steinway, while they sing::

"Farewell, Adieu, obesity for you-ou"

der keeping-the-day-job Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: January 07, 2005, 10:24:05 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

WOW!  I wake up this morning, and there are already SIX PAGES of posts!...

Well, when you go to bed at 3 am and get up at noon, it happens! :-*
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2005, 10:25:57 AM »

Just to confirm what Jose said, the possibility of replacements being eligible for Tony Awards won't happen this year. Here's a link to an article from Playbill On-Line regarding the issue.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/90509.html

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2005, 10:26:49 AM »

Elmoore:  I scored the David Maddux CD on eBay yesterday.  Hopefully the rest of his stuff is wretched so that I can commiserate with you.   ;D

DRJMK, I hope the rest of the CD is as delightful as the track you sent me.  I've just never liked the arrangements of his that the New York City Gay Men's Chorus did.  Or the man.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2005, 10:28:50 AM »

JMK said:

"Portland has tons of used record stores, though, and it's one of my favorite pastimes to browse amongst them."

Well, that makes a reason to come visit Portland, besides a surfeit of HKs living in the surrounding area. Anthony and I LOVE used record stores.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 10:29:40 AM by Ben »

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2005, 10:29:27 AM »

Dear DerBrucer:

The really big mind explosion reading that article was that I can't think of "We Are Family" without thinking of the last scene from "The Birdcage"... I just had an image (WARNING! BAAAD VISUAL ahead) of Spongebob, Big Bird, Bob et al dancing down the street in drag (Actually, Big Bird would look pretty good in sequins... *smacks head* "no! Bad visual-thinking brain!")

DERBRUCER

« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2005, 10:30:06 AM »

..I may have also voted for King Solomon's Mines which, though I love the book, I don't think is a particularly good movie.  There has never been a good movie version of the book.

It seems Classic Reader agrees with you:

The author's fantasy and myth-making later inspired several film directors. Allan Quatermain (1987), directed by Gary Nelson, was a follow up to 1985's King Solomon's Mines (1985), directed J. Lee-Thompson and starring Richard Chamberlain and Sharon Stone. The favorite adventure novel has been filmed half a dozen times, but none of the films have captured the spirit of Haggard's original work.

Perhaps "someone" needs to take sylus quill fountain ball-point mouse the appropriate tool in hand and "write" this wrong.

der prodding Brucer

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Up