Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CLIPPED HEDGES  (Read 21466 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
CLIPPED HEDGES
« on: September 05, 2006, 12:24:26 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are now with it and happening, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're off clipping their toenails by the clipped hedges.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 12:20:23 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:CLIPPED HEDGES
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 12:25:46 AM »

And the word of the day is: ENUCLEATE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 12:27:34 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday cheer to duskglow, whomever they may be.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 12:29:17 AM »

And now, as promised, the How To Write A Dirty Book blurb - in fact, here's the blurb as featured on the back cover of the book.  If you remember the front cover, you'll know how cool this back cover is - again, the brilliance of Mr. Geissman shines forth.  Of course, the publisher logo and bar code will be added.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 12:42:10 AM »

Love the cover bk!!

I hope to get a copy.. .I still need to get off my duff and order the other two Kritzer novels.

CP, I really liked Dragonheart. I hoping to find a DVD of it. My VHS ate my tape of it tonight... GRRR!!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 12:53:46 AM »

TOTD:

One case was in the early 80s in ND and it involved Gordon Kahl and his son and other members of Posse Comitatus having a shootout on I-94 near Medina, ND. I became very curious about militant protest groups and about the circumstances that lead to protesting in this manner.

Disclaimer.... The MOTW based on the incident does have a number of inaccuracies. One that really bugged me was Mountains in the scenery... There are NO mountains in ND!

Another incident is a more recent occurence here in ND and that is the kidnapping and murder of Dru Sjodin, a college student that attended teh University of North Dakota. THe alledged perpetrator of the crime, Alfonso Rodriguez, Jr., was just found guilty of the crimes last week. He is a repeat sex offender that was released just two months before Sjodin was kidnapped, from a Minnesota prison. THe penalty phase of his trail is coming up and the jury has to decide if he gets the death penalty or life imprisonment. Since the crime has federal charges he is eligible for the death penalty. Since then, I have been reading a lot on sex offenders and the crimes they perpetuate and the consequences on society.

Sadly, I have close hand experience with another case that happened in Idaho, when a man by the name of Joseph Duncan kidnapped two small children and killed their family. He lived in FArgo for a time and he been charged with molesting in Detroit Lakes but was let go on his own reconnaissance. He was a student at NDSU and came into the library quite often. He is one person that gave me a very uneasy feeling.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 01:04:50 AM »

I am off to do some writing... I am feeling inspired at the moment...

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 01:14:59 AM »

Forgetfully, yesterday's Topic of the Day:  "A Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum."  I LOVE the musical (I even played Hero in a community theater production) and growing up, my sister and I used to watch the movie on TV.  HOWEVER,  when I grew up and became a fan of Stephen Sondheim's and learned about the stage version, I have not been able to watch the movie.  It's a travesty.  I mean, granted, they did film Zero Mostel and Jack Gilford and several others from the original cast (I can appreciate it for that), but eviscerating the score was unconscionable (in my humble opinion).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 01:19:30 AM »

Today's Topic of the Day:  I don't think I really "followed" any true crime event.  I did read some about the Matthew Shephard murder.  A few years ago, his mother Judy spoke in Seattle.  My ex-boyfriend and I went to see her speak.  She was very good...quite an emotional speech.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 01:23:15 AM »

And now, I must go to sleep.  I have to get up early and will probably (I'd better) have some e-mails from the lenders that I got quotes on so that I can make a final decision on who to get money from to buy my condo!  (someone better give me money...otherwise, I'm screwed!) ;)

Good night, DakotaCelt.

Write like the wind!

;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 03:44:36 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm up quite early, since I have quite a bit to accomplish today.  I've been listening to the delightful "Bus & Truck" demo, and easing my way into the morning.

DR MattH, my very first guess on the killer's identity after seeing the crime scene on THE CLOSER proved to be right, but I enjoyed immensely the continuous tension clouding the issue and putting suspicion on several othersnormously.  The show has a great supporting cast.

I was consumed by the O J Simpson case: such a farce and travesty of justice.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 04:12:02 AM »

And the word of the day is: ENUCLEATE!
Because he couldn't understand Mr. Spock's radioed CLUE EATEN by the giant space amoeba (along with it having eaten Mr. Spock and his shuttlecraft), Captain Kirk ordered Scotty to use photon torpedos to ENUCLEATE the beastie.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 04:16:03 AM »

True crime?  The only story I ever followed closely was back in high school, during my junior year, when a bunch of jocks stuffed the ballot box in order to throw the election of the student body president.  Hilarity ensued.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 04:16:15 AM »

Because he couldn't understand Mr. Spock's radioed CLUE EATEN by the giant space amoeba (along with it having eaten Mr. Spock and his shuttlecraft), Captain Kirk ordered Scotty to use photon torpedos to ENUCLEATE the beastie.

Good morning, DR SWW!  I hope you have a fantastic day!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 04:31:46 AM »

I hope so, too, and the best for your day as well, Elmore!  As it is, I must be hasty and get ready for work.  The summer season has ended, and we'll soon be saying goodbye to our Russian staffers.   :'(

(A couple of whom are really cute!   ;D)

Michael

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 04:34:17 AM »

TOD

I think it would also have to be the OJ Simpson trial.

I believe that he did it, but there was so much reasonable doubt that the jury acquited him. Although people have been been found guilty on less.

When I think of OJ Simpson trial I think of some lyrics from Chicago

It's all a circus, kid. A three ring circus.
These trials- the wholeworld- all show business.
But kid, you're working with a star, the biggest!

(Singing)
Give 'em the old razzle dazzle
Razzle Dazzle 'em
Give 'em an act with lots of flash in it
And the reaction will be passionate
Give 'em the old hocus pocus
Bead and feather 'em
How can they see with sequins in their eyes?

What if your hinges all are rusting?
What if, in fact, you're just disgusting?

Razzle dazzle 'em
And they'll never catch wise!

AND

In fifty years or so
It's gonna change, you know
But, oh, it's heaven
Nowadays

(But it didn't)
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 05:23:25 AM »

I have returned from Long Island. I need to catch up but before I do, birthday greetings to those who have grown a year older in the past few days. And vibes to those who need them.

We bought a new monochrome laser printer while on the Island. We needed a new printer and this came well recommended and on sale. Because we bought the printer and a toner cartridge the nice young clerk also gave us a ream of paper. We carried the printer on the LI Railroad into Penn Station and on the subway. We climbed up the stairs at 14th Street, through the slam gate and along the blocks to our apartment. We will set up the printer tonight. I am looking forward to a spanking new printer. We had looked at color lasers and although the price has come down and I could have afforded to purchase one, we just didn't want an electronic device the size of a small refrigerator (I exaggerate but not by much) sitting on the cabinet in the bedroom. We have a color ink jet and we will just keep that for fancy things like cards and important CD inserts.

I must begin catching up and also I must get back to work.

In two weeks and a day Mr. Guest will be a guest in our fair city!

Ben

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 05:24:56 AM »

I did follow some of the O.J. saga but I generally have little interest in "true crime". The whole sad spectacle of JonBenet Ramsey is one reason why I don't want to know.

Later!

Ben

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 05:40:06 AM »

I have caught up with Friday. Wow, Deb/Vixmom, what a story about the car key!

I will now go back to work and not catch up on Saturday, Sunday or Monday. I will do that later.

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 06:30:01 AM »

Monday Tuesday morning greetings!  Actually, tomorrow will seem like Monday to me, because I'm off today, too.  Love it when those Monday holidays fall on my regular day off.

TOD - I don't follow true crime much, but do tend to fixate on stories like the deaths of Princess Diana and JFK, Jr.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 07:46:36 AM »

Good morning!

It had rained during the night (never heard a thing) when I got up this morning, but that didn't cool things off any. In fact, it just made it more uncomfortable outside. They're promising cooler weather later in the week. I hope they're right.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2006, 07:49:52 AM »

I agree with you, DR Elmore. The marvelous thing about THE CLOSER is that the audience was expertly misdirected by other events and characters. Agatha Christie was a genius at that kind of misdirection (the most obvious suspect being the guilty party but making it seem as though others had just as likely a reason to commit the crime), and having read almost all of her books, it usually doesn't fool me.

I usually go wrong from the get-go if I settle on the wrong person to start with the then start bending the evidence to support my theory.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2006, 07:52:09 AM »

Today, TCM is running five Mario Lanza films back-to-back. I got THAT MIDNIGHT KISS (his screen debut) at the end of July, but the others I'm looking forward to watching, and THE TOAST OF NEW ORLEANS I'm looking forward to burning onto a DVD-R.

I've never even seen THE SEVEN HILLS OF ROME or FOR THE FIRST TIME (his last film).

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2006, 07:55:18 AM »

Note to HOUSE fans.

Fox is running HOUSE out of its normal time period for the first few weeks of the season so as to give the new show STANDOFF a good lead-in audience. So, if you want to see the season premiere, it's on at 8 p.m. tonight (EDT) instead of the usual 9 p.m.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2006, 07:56:55 AM »

In addition to the Lanza films (which I'll watch leisurely over the next few days since I have no films on DVD scheduled to come in), I do have last night's VANISHED to watch.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2006, 08:02:13 AM »

I really wanted to sleep a bit later, but here I am, up.  I'm sure it's already eighty outside.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2006, 08:19:01 AM »

Since we didn't get to go to lunch yesterday, I'm going to lunch with best friend John today. Guess I'd better get off here and go clean up.

WBBL.

George

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2006, 08:23:49 AM »

Good morning, Matt, Ben and Jeff (JMK)!

George

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2006, 08:33:26 AM »

Well, I'm off to shower, shave, dress and go to work.  Later!

George

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 08:33:37 AM »

And since we're so close...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up