Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: YESTERDAY, TODAY, AND TOMORROW  (Read 14437 times)

Danise

Re:YESTERDAY, TODAY, AND TOMORROW
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2005, 04:39:21 PM »

DR Jose, there's a hurricane with your name on it coming this summer.  (hopefully, it will be a non-destructive one that stays at sea.)

Yes, please stay away from Florida for the hurricane season!   ;)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2005, 04:49:14 PM »

best wishes and positive vibes to DR Elmore and Tomovoz ......

... and a big hi to everybody else

... one of my fave (auto)biographies ..... "Love is Where it Falls" by Simon Callow - insightful, honest, absorbing and deeply moving.  Wonderful!
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

Danise

« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2005, 05:16:20 PM »

I like the Harpies!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2005, 05:16:46 PM »

The interesting thing about cutting a four hour time slot to three is that the movie itself ends up being less than two hours because there are twenty-four minutes of commecials (sometimes more) per hour.  That is the most shocking thing about television today.  Pretty soon a half-hour show will run eighteen minutes.

There's a Canadian comedy called "This Hour Has 22 Minutes."  I guess that's getting closer and closer to the truth!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2005, 05:20:45 PM »

Ginny spring, when our world turns green, is always a pretty time here.

MBarnum I believe you mentioned a visit to your mother this spring.  I just hope it isn’t the last weekend in June, or when we finally visit Keith’s mother.

The female turkeys run (like quail) and then fly away, but the males just move away from us.  The cars don’t seem to bother them and sometimes we have to wait while slowly leave the driveway.   On several occasions they have kept Keith company while he worked in the vegetable garden, not too close but close enough.  Unfortunately we never have the camera at the right times.  

Danise

« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2005, 05:20:50 PM »

I LOVE the Centaur!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2005, 05:38:37 PM »

Danise, I don't know if you've seen this yet, but:

According to the Playbill article, Michael "will star as Reginald Bunthorne in Gilbert and Sullivan's Patience."

It goes on to say, "Patience will be performed at the New York State Theater Sept. 10 at 8 PM, Sept. 12 at 7:30 PM, Sept. 17 at 1:30 PM, Sept. 23 at 8 PM, Sept. 27 at 7:30 PM, Sept. 30 at 8 PM, Oct. 2 at 1:30 PM and Oct. 5 at 7:30 PM. Single tickets will go on sale Aug. 1, although tickets are currently available through subscriptions and group sales. Visit www.nycopera.com for more information..  

So, are ya gonna go?? ;D

Danise do you have to wait until August 1st to get your ticket?  If so that gives me more time to figure out NY.    I might be able to get an appointment for the 3rd & 4th so we could all have the evening of the 4th and all day on the 5th together.  Of course that is providing all is well and the NIH lets me leave.  ;D

Have you ever experienced autumn?  Mid October should be much prettier than the first week.  NY locals, how pretty does the city get mid October?  I know the country will be spectacular.

Danise

« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2005, 05:47:21 PM »

Not to dish DR George but when I went to that site, I didn't see anything about Michael Ball.  

I LOVE THE HYDRA!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2005, 05:53:17 PM »

Ozderek, I also am a fan of LOVE IS WHERE IT FALLS, by Simon Callow.  I've an autographed edition of it...though I didn't know it was autographed when I bought it.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2005, 06:06:31 PM »

Just wonderin'...

What the deal with all this German spam lately?!?!?!?

I think it's making it through the filters since the filters aren't catching the German words.

:-\

I thought it was something that was only happening to me.  One German spam got through my filters because it came using a good friend's e-mail address (he didn't send it).  When I opened it and saw all of the uses of the words Nazi and Stalin, I figured it was for my ex-wife, so I forwarded it to her.... I am kidding about that last part.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #160 on: May 16, 2005, 06:16:14 PM »

Not to dish DR George but when I went to that site, I didn't see anything about Michael Ball.

You're not the only one, Danise.  Hopefully, it's just the NYCO website that hasn't been updated.  I don't think Playbill.com is the kind of website that makes up things like that. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #161 on: May 16, 2005, 06:22:35 PM »

I was really into "Raven" and books about the Jonestown calamity for awhile there.
And I read two good biographies of Montgomery Clift.
When I read one interesting non-fic book, I end up developing an obsession and try to read everything I can.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #162 on: May 16, 2005, 06:27:06 PM »

Bk, my sis got me hooked on this crime website that has a ton of photos of places around LA where bad things happened. It was interesting to be looking at photos inside the Ambassador Hotel where RFK got shot, at the same time I'm reading about little Benjamin Kritzer going to prom there in KRITZER TIME.

Anyways, the site is called findadeath.com, and it is a bit ghoulish, but yet not mean-spirited, and I've seen a few photos on there from Studio City and thereabouts. Pretty fascinating.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #163 on: May 16, 2005, 06:29:32 PM »

NYC is nice in the fall. But since it isn't as green as other places, one wouldn't have as nice views of foliage turning color as elsewhere.

Jane

« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2005, 06:35:46 PM »

Larry, GOOD VIBES TOMORROW!  My thoughts will be with you all day. :)

Charles Pogue

« Reply #165 on: May 16, 2005, 06:37:55 PM »

Speaking of the Ambassador, there is talk of tearing it down...heartily approved of by the Kennedy Clan.  I think this would be terrible.  It's a rather beautiful piece of design inside.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2005, 06:38:48 PM »

I don't want to presume you have interest in reviews, Pogue, but David Bianculli of the NY Daily News seems to really "get it" in terms of the quality screenplay being wrecked by the reduced running time.
nydailynews.com

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2005, 06:43:04 PM »

According to that site, the destruction of the Ambassador is a fait accompli. They are building a school there.
To which, I think it was Diane Keaton, made an eloquent argument to the point of, "Kids could study history in RFK's final footsteps, study language arts where F. Scott Fitzgerald devised some of his great work, music in The Coconut Grove, etc." In other words, why not make the Ambassador into a school rather than tear it down?

Jane

« Reply #168 on: May 16, 2005, 06:46:39 PM »

Ozderek, I also am a fan of LOVE IS WHERE IT FALLS, by Simon Callow.  I've an autographed edition of it...though I didn't know it was autographed when I bought it.

I just read the opening pages of chapter one.  If this is an accurate example, I can tell why you enjoy it so much.

Jane

« Reply #169 on: May 16, 2005, 06:50:00 PM »

NYC is nice in the fall. But since it isn't as green as other places, one wouldn't have as nice views of foliage turning color as elsewhere.

My plan is to convince Keith to join me and travel to Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Connecticut visiting friends.  Mid October would be the time to do this.  If not this year then next year, my last one to participate in the NIH study.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #170 on: May 16, 2005, 06:56:55 PM »

Those states will have marvelous foliage.

Jane

« Reply #171 on: May 16, 2005, 07:07:28 PM »

I know, we lived in all of them.

Jane

« Reply #172 on: May 16, 2005, 07:26:21 PM »

We have been watching the turkeys-all seven of them-and the squirrel that likes to follow them around.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 07:32:49 PM by Jane »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #173 on: May 16, 2005, 08:21:59 PM »

Oh, how I LONGED for DR Jose tonight. The music director was not there, and a substitute pianist was there who was a terrible sight reader. Plus, the keys for the LA CAGE songs are mostly 5 flats or 5 sharps, and her fingers were stumbling all over the place. I was totally dissatisfied with both of my first act songs tonight. (We only ran Act I).

For those who perform, don't you despise rehearsals that you feel you've taken a couple of steps backward instead of progressing forward toward being performance-ready. That's exactly how I felt tonight.

Also, the actor playing Jacob was not there tonight also causing me a somewhat major bit of frustration.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #174 on: May 16, 2005, 08:25:31 PM »

It's going to get warmer and more humid the rest of the week with thundershowers likely some of those days. I HATED to see this marvelously bright but cool day come to an end. This is the type of weather I could enjoy year-round.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 08:26:28 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2005, 09:00:16 PM »

Well....I enjoyed HERCULES tonight on NBC.  Some very good actors...a couple who weren't as good, but okay.  It looked great and had a nice musical score.   AND all the villians got great comeuppances!  Very satisfying...and it all came down to two arrows aimed at each other....very satisfying.  I do hope the four hour version is run on SCI FI or some other channel, but I liked it.  Sean Astin had some especially good dialog.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #176 on: May 16, 2005, 09:07:50 PM »

Rodzinski, Thanks for David's review.  Back in January I had a great dinner with him and another TV reviewer and Harlan Ellison.  They are all pals and now I like to think they're my pals also.  So David got all the stories behind Herc.  Great guy!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #177 on: May 16, 2005, 09:09:22 PM »

I went with Everybody Loves Raymond, which went out in a classy way.  No deaths or births or characters moving away or saying good-bye.  Just a typical funny episode with one very touching moment.  I'm going to miss this show very much.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 09:09:40 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: May 16, 2005, 09:34:45 PM »

I'm back from a lovely dinner with Mr. Nick Redman and Julie Kirgo.  What fun we all had.  We laughed and laughed and just when we thought we could laugh no more we laughed again.  Nick loved his birthday/Christmas present - the new huge The Stanley Kubrick Archives book.  And I got to feel very nice because Miss Julie Kirgo had read my new tome and really loved it.  I have TIVOd Hercules and shall start watching it a bit later this evening, or I may save it for one viewing tomorrow evening.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2005, 09:42:29 PM »

Everyone must be off watching Hercules, which is the ONLY excuse we will be accepting.

In the meantime, here is a lovely photograph of the lovely Nick Redman and Julie Kirgo having a lovely time.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up