Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GLORIOUSLY GLORIOUS VERY LONG WEEKEND  (Read 22444 times)

Jennifer

Re:THE GLORIOUSLY GLORIOUS VERY LONG WEEKEND
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2004, 12:53:20 PM »

OMG Michael Riedel is vicious. Check out his Donna Murphy comments (at the bottom):

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05282004/entertainment/21774.htm

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2004, 12:57:15 PM »

Jrand, where did you get the photo of Caroll?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2004, 12:59:35 PM »

From ARNOLD M BROCKMAN who has been with ME for a very long time.

Thank You all for your Birthday Greetings.

And to BK who has been with us the longest--CHEERS!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #123 on: May 28, 2004, 01:00:28 PM »

We get tours through here all the time. How do you know if they are Equity or not?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2004, 01:02:20 PM »

I have had one memorable Memorial Day experience. The first time I ever went to Hilton Head, SC was with a group of gay friends (my first really all-gay holiday). We rented a house there for a week that encompassed Memorial Day, and for six days we had the time of our lives. Cooked when we wanted to, went out to eat other times, flew kites, went cycling, cruised every decent looking man on the beach. It was a glorious, happy time in my life.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2004, 01:03:12 PM »

DR MBarnum said: "Good choice! Another Universal that I would like to see out is THE THING THAT COULDN'T DIE and I'VE LIVED BEFORE. "

Hey, if we're going to name Universal films we'd like to see on DVD, how about FLOWER DRUM SONG?

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2004, 01:26:44 PM »

Today in his column, Ken Mandelbaum reviewed BARBARA COOK'S BROADWAY on CD. Now, here's my question:

Her last one woman show (MOSTLY SONDHEIM) was first released on CD and then months later showed up in video form on DVD.

Has anyone read anything about BARBARA COOK'S BROADWAY being video recorded for a later release? I'd love to hear it, of course, but I'd love to see AND hear it even more, and a video record will be far more complete than this audio version.

I made the rash decision to buy ELAINE STRITCH AT LIBERTY on CD and then got the whole show on DVD months later. Anybody have any inside information about future video plans for this event? Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 01:27:34 PM by Matt H. »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »

What beautiful postings.  Let the others try as they will, we are the ginchiest site on all the Internet.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2004, 01:28:11 PM »

Where in Tarnation is Everyone???   You would think this was the holiday weekend, or something.
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2004, 01:33:59 PM »

I am all for folks having memorable times whenever/wherever they can find them.

To me, the purpose for "Memorial Day" is to honor the memories of everyone who has died in the service of the United States.  

How this is accomplished, however, is a very mixed bag.  Some cities hold parades.  All businesses seem to have sales.  TV channels tend to program marathons, or to show John Wayne war movies.

Memorial Day became one of those holidays that the Federal government regulated would fall on a Monday so that people could have a three-day weekend (a regulated breather for the masses who do work set hours and days).

My best-spent Memorial Day was as the Navy representative on an all-service drill team, marching in a parade in Indianapolis.

Otherwise, I try to remember to find time for reflection on all who sacrificed to preserve freedom.  I also sleep late, watch movies, chat with friends and barbecue.   I do that because those who died in service to the U.S. made it possible for me to have those freedoms.

I'd call all of that worth a memory or two.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 01:49:50 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Robin

« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2004, 01:38:20 PM »

First off, Happy Natal Anniversary to Arnold M. Brockman...whom I hear has been around the brock a time or two.

Second off...to the week's weekly media check:

In the CD player: Ned Rorem's Three Symphonies (on Naxos, one of the best classical music labels around...and even though they're cheap CDs, they're terrific CDs.)

In the VHS player: Nada.  It's busted.  I actually don't think I'm going to bother replacing it.  

What I'm reading: Metropolis by Thea Von Harbou.  And a rough draft of a friend's as-yet-untitled science fiction novel, which is turning out surprisingly good.  

On deeveedee: Star Trek: Voyager--Season Two and Jonny Quest--Season One.  I love everything about Jonny Quest!  And I'm still working my way through the latest wave of Walt Disney Treasures.  The Tomorrow Land disc is especially good, but my blood pressure goes up every time Dr. Werner von Braun* (the old Nazi!) shows up.  

*Don't say that he's hypocritical,
Say rather that he's apolitical!
"Once the rockets go up, who cares where they come down,
That's not my department!" says Werner Von Braun.  

--Tom Lehrer, putting it all in a nutshell.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 01:40:04 PM by Robin »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2004, 01:52:47 PM »

I find Memorial Day Sales somewhat offensive. Sort of defeats the purpose of the whole thing, no? Are we going to have 9/11 Sales in 20 years?

I'm typing this while on Hold with my insurance company. I just received a TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR bill from them for an 8 day October 2003 hospital stay. The only problem is that I wasn't in the hospital for 8 days - or any days - in 2003. In fact, I've never spent 8 days in the hospital in my life. I didn't spend ANY days in the hospital in 2003. I've never even HEARD of the hospital in which I was supposed to have spent 8 days. I think you get the picture.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2004, 01:58:52 PM »

As I said, Ron, I am well aware of the real meaning of Memorial Day.   I, also, said that I didn't mean to sound flip, but since the government saw fit to make Memorial Day an excuse for a three-day weekend, rather than keeping it a day to pay tribute to the men and women who died in service to our country, I wondered if some how I had missed something.  Personally, I will still go the cemetery, as I do every year, but if others had developed other traditions or observances, I would like to hear about them.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2004, 02:24:49 PM »

DR Jason, I know you were saying that it was management that was kicking people out at the Met.  But what I don't understand is why.  If someone is standing, and there is an empty seat open in front of them, why shouldn't they sit down?  My point was that if they don't advertise their strict policy I would complain to no end if they kicked me out.

DRJennifer, the ushers at the Met are truly hostile and intimidating.  Standing room is patrolled like a prison yard and standees may not move to a seat until the second act.  This is done, really, to prevent awkward situation of moving people when latecomer arrive.

I once stood in City Opera, where the ushers don't do anything but direct and distribute programs.  The house lights went down and half the audience rushged down to the empty seats.  Most of the Overture and first scene of MAGIC FLUTE were inaudible from the ushers seating late comers are removing the squatters.  I prefer standing at the Met because the audience is at least under control.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2004, 02:24:53 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Steve made it up to Arlington, and made good time - and the one traffic back-up turned out to be a very short one.

We headed out to Tysons Corner.  I thought I found a pair of sale jeans at Banana Republic, but they rang up regular price at the register, and the saleswoman would not budge.  So, I took that as a sign and we headed to lunch.  California Pizza Kitchen - We shared a Field Greens Salad (those candied walnuts are yummy!), and their Grilled Chicken and Potato pizza.  Yummy too!  Then we wandered around for a little bit, headed over to the Container Store - bought some stuff... And now back at the apartment just taking a breather before heading in for the show.

And after the show.. The Flourless Chocolate Waffle, and/or The Banana Cream Pudding at the Carlyle Grand Cafe.  The Banana Pudding has caramlized(!) 'Nilla wafers!!!  -Or, we may check to see if we can get a nice rooftop seat at the Hotel Washington for their spectacular tableside dessert service.  Hmm.. Choices, choices...

OK - I need to tidy up myself...

Laters...

*Oh, and the main reason for the Memorial day being on a Monday - or any three day weekend for that matter - is so that it doesn't "float".  -Which is also why they "observe" certain holidays on Mondays rather than on their proper day.  Otherwise, people would have to make a pretty big decision whether to take the extra day should the holiday fall on a Thursday... or Tuesday.  -Also, Memorial Day is about 13 weeks after the previous government holiday.  It's the longest time span between holidays.  So... For whatever that is worth...

Yes, I'm babbling....

And once again... Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2004, 02:25:02 PM »

Well, think of it as a Memorial Bush!

In November, from your mouth... ::)

As for Media Check of the Day:

In my CD player at work:  Candide (still)...the Kristin/Patti concert broadcast on the Internet.  I'm still working on it, Ben!  After that will be a studio recording of Cyrano with Brent Carver that I got from eBay.  I've listened to it once and I really like it.  I first heard about it when Donald played it on his radio show not too long ago.  I liked one of the songs he played and not the other, but listening to the whole thing, I like the other song now, too!

In my DVD player:  "The First Nudie Musical"...hopefully, I'll actually get to watch it.  My housemate has never seen it and wants to sometime this weekend.  This'll be the first time in a whole month that I have nothing to do on a weekend.  Yippy!!

In my VCR:  nothing.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2004, 02:37:27 PM »

Food and drink in cinemas. I do not like to eat at the movies and I loathe the smell of popcorn. I don't snack in front of the TV at home either.
"Seat hopping" in theatres would not be approved of here in OZ. Opera rules about no late comers are strictly observed here as well.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2004, 02:48:27 PM »

Wow DR Panni: good luck.

But at least you know you weren't in the hospital and that the bill will be erased.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2004, 02:56:20 PM »

We look forward to the rest of Panni's Twilight Zone adventure.  I wonder if it will have a twist ending - like maybe she's got a doppelganger that's trying to take over her life.  Holy smokes - two Pannis.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #139 on: May 28, 2004, 03:01:22 PM »

TCB - I just searched for CARROLL BAKER HARLOW on Google and come up on the WEHT (Whatever Happened To....) and the picture was there!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2004, 03:17:48 PM »

As I said, Ron, I am well aware of the real meaning of Memorial Day.   I, also, said that I didn't mean to sound flip, but since the government saw fit to make Memorial Day an excuse for a three-day weekend, rather than keeping it a day to pay tribute to the men and women who died in service to our country, I wondered if some how I had missed something.  Personally, I will still go the cemetery, as I do every year, but if others had developed other traditions or observances, I would like to hear about them.

My response was my answer to your question.  No criticism was intended or implied by the fact that my memories are tied to the purposes for which the holiday exists.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 04:34:30 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

HollyLynn

« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2004, 03:20:25 PM »

The Memorial Day I remember most: I was about 10 and my sister was about 7.  It was cold--about 50 degrees--and we were helping my parents putting flowers on our grandparent's grave.  My sister and I had been fighting all day and she dared me to pour the jug (a large, orange, Gott jug) of water on her.

I proceded to pour the entire jug of water all over her.  My mother was so mad!  Even though we weren't finished, she grabbed both of us, and we went home.  I was grounded, but seeing my sister looking like a drowned rat on the 20 minute drive home was worth being grounded for the first two weeks of summer vacation.

Panni-I hope you get your insurance problem figured out.

Happy Weekend!
HollyLynn :o

Danise

« Reply #142 on: May 28, 2004, 03:28:45 PM »

Honey, I'm home!  

I made it but am I TIRED.  I will be hitting the hay VERY, VERY, VERY early tonight.  In fact, now sound good.   :D

I will tell you all about my adventures when I've had a chance to rest.

Thank you to both Jane and Elmore for everything!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2004, 03:31:35 PM »

50 degrees! Took a moment to realise that it is not celsius. Does your sister laugh about the incident these days HL. I know there were times I would have loved to done the same to my sister (older!) Come to the think of it, I could still do it.
Great to see you posting regularly.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2004, 03:32:19 PM »

Glad you are back before the TRAVEL MANIA sets in, DRDANISE and can't wait to hear all about your trip!

I always remember Memorial Day as the START of summer vacation.  Of course living in Indiana - the 500 Mile Race was a topic of conversation, newspapers, and tv all the month of May - and by the time the race was run (NEVER on a Sunday back then, ya know) school was out for the summer and it was time to go swimming!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2004, 03:34:14 PM »

Welcome home Danise.
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2004, 03:45:08 PM »

Thank you for the welcome homes.  I have so much to tell you all and I didn't even tell you about SLC!  Somehow that seems like a million years ago--if you can believe that!

I know I've missed out on a lot of things.  Someone will have to catch me up on the B-days and important events I missed.  

It is nice to go away but it's very true that theres no place like home!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2004, 04:00:38 PM »

Bonjour, mes amies. Responses to today's postings and going-ons:

To all Canadians: I was watching some reruns of "Conan O'Brien", and apparently he was in Canada for a week a while back. He sang a little ditty and it goes like this "There's a place to stand, and a place to go, they call this land Ontario, a place to stand and a place to go, Ontari-ari-ari-oooooooooooooo!"

I CANNOT STOP SINGING IT! AAAAAAAAAGH!

Anyway...

Jose: I may be seeing "Eden" sometime in the next month or so...What's a good day to see the show?

Arnold: I wish you a have happy birthday, and I hope your cake is yummy.

These cicadas are making me crazy. I don't think I can handle another night of them!

Question: When your cousin has a baby, what relation is that baby to you? Is there a term?

CD: Josh Groban...I know, I know, he isn't amazing, but he makes me swoon and I don't know why.
DVD: The Lion King, "Special Edition"...this is such a cute movie.
VHS: Brigadoon.

How is everyone today?
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jennifer

« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2004, 04:03:28 PM »

I don't like to eat at the movies either.  But I DO like to eat in front of the tv. :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #149 on: May 28, 2004, 04:05:31 PM »

Maybe be "Second Cousin" SS or possibly cousin "once removed". Depends on which book you read.

My Grandmother's brother is the father of a famous football player/coach here. Sounds distant but he is supposedly my second cousin! We have common great grand parents.
It's all too too.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up