Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: JUNE, JUNE, JUNE  (Read 21107 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:JUNE, JUNE, JUNE
« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2004, 05:09:45 PM »

Al is always at Joe Allen.  Long ago he found out it was my hangout, and always being a follower, he just started showing up like the joint was his.  Skammen.

I will be going out soon, about which more in tomorrow's notes, but be sure to keep the home fries burning until my returning, for which you'll be yearning.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: June 01, 2004, 05:14:47 PM »

Welcome seven GUESTS.  Do any of you know Al Pacino.

And don't we need a food report?

Danise

« Reply #152 on: June 01, 2004, 05:33:58 PM »

Dear Jane and Keith,

Don't know the hour you were joined in wedded bliss but using 12 noon as the time it's only been a mere:

It is now Tuesday 6/1/2004 at 8:33:18 PM
Event: Wedding day
Scheduled For 6/1/1969  12:00:00 PM
35 years 8 hours 33 minutes 18 seconds or
1,826 weekends or
12,784 days or
306,824 hours (204,549 waking hours) or
18,409,473 minutes or
1,104,568,398 seconds

Just thought you would like to know!   :)

Congrats, best wishes and many, many more!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #153 on: June 01, 2004, 05:56:15 PM »

It is now Tuesday 6/1/2004 at 8:33:18 PM
Event: Wedding day
Scheduled For 6/1/1969  12:00:00 PM
35 years 8 hours 33 minutes 18 seconds or
1,826 weekends or
12,784 days or
306,824 hours (204,549 waking hours) or
18,409,473 minutes or
1,104,568,398 seconds

Great, Danise!

Danise

« Reply #154 on: June 01, 2004, 06:07:51 PM »

Ya gotta love that Count down program (which also counts up as well!)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #155 on: June 01, 2004, 06:31:02 PM »

One hour to sirloin!

zach: Hal Holbrook
Cassie: Dixie Carter
Val: Jean Smart
Maggie: Delta Burke
Mike: Mesach Taylor
Sheila: Annie Potts
Connie: Alice Ghostley
Greg: Scott Bakula

....the DESIGNING WOMEN cast of A CHORUS LINE
Nothing for Gerald McRaney?  (Delta's hubby, and a recurring character as her novelist ex.)  As Paul, perhaps?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 06:31:46 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #156 on: June 01, 2004, 06:44:11 PM »

It appears that a fine time was had by all.  Pity we could not join you!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #157 on: June 01, 2004, 06:54:30 PM »

When is DR Der Brucer going to resume posting? That is what I want to know!!!
He's been quite busy with work, and feels guilty if he's on the computer and not working.  He's got a couple of projects that he's owed friends of his for some time.  He's doing well, though, and I keep him updated on the goings on.

Tonight, he surprised me at work when he came to pick me up.  He brought Bonnie with him.  She was practically prancing, she was so thrilled to be out on her own.  She was nice to Tim, my co-worker tonight, but her heart was into giving me her loving.

Maybe der B will bring the others to pick me up on other nights!  I'll be closing most nights, as far as I can tell.

(Dinner tonight: steaks, baked potatoes, and zucchini drizzled with olive oil, seasoned with pepper and a topping of fresh grated Parmesan, which I'll put in the oven while the steaks are cooking and the 'taters rest.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #158 on: June 01, 2004, 06:56:35 PM »

Yup, it's going to be tape delayed and be broadcast 8:00 p.m. PDT.
This will allow them to edit anything from Elaine Strich, so they can bring the show in on time.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #159 on: June 01, 2004, 07:03:31 PM »

Elmore-LOL.  I may be proud of myself, but it’s so fuzzy I can hardly read it. ;D

JoseSPiano thank you.  Your suggestions for Deluxe Mixed Nuts sounds good.  Unfortunately, with my allergies to selected nuts, I can’t eat mixed nuts.  Have fun tomorrow night.

Danise

« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2004, 07:11:35 PM »

As I have promised, here is the last installment of my NYC trip.  

After doing all of that walking down and through Central Park,  my hips were positively humming.  Stephanie was going to meet me at five so I didn’t have much time.  

I still managed to have a nice hot soak/shower and got a small cat nap of about 20 minutes. Little did I know how badly I was going to need it.  

I had phoned the airport van to arrange the time I was to be picked up the next day to go to the airport.  Even though my flight left at 1:45 PM, I was told to be ready to be picked up no later than 9:20 AM.  I had already started my pre-packing by putting everything that could be into my suitcase.

Stephanie phoned me, right on time, and we arranged to meet in lobby at five.  When the time came I had the pleasure of not only meeting her but her Mother as well.  Believe it or not we meet at almost the exact same spot were Elmore and I had met.  

Her Mom couldn’t stay so we found her a cab and off she went.

Stephanie and I headed over to the restaurant, Barrymores and I must say I liked the way she was greeted by the waiters there.  Everyone seemed to know her and it seemed so nice and friendly.  Since it was my last night in NYC, I decided to let out all of the stops and ordered a NY Strip steak, mashed potatoes (a big no-no on my diet), carrots were the veggie of the day (but I don’t like them even on a good day and did not eat them)  and a glass of ice tea.

The steak was wonderful, cooked just the way I like it.  Medium rare.  Yum!

We soon discovered that we both had a lot in common.  Widowed mother, some of the same medical problems and a wicked sense of humor.  We were laughing and joking like old friends in no time.

We still had time after our dinner so I offered to show Stephanie my Michael Ball pictures.  We went back to the hotel.  She was shocked when she saw the size of the room.  I showed her the “closet” and the bathroom I had fought for with the tub.  I was told I could have gotten a much better room someplace else and I do tend to believe that.  If there ever is a next time, I will NOT be staying at the Milford Plaza, believe me.

We left for our front row seats at “Boy From Oz”.  Stephanie told me as luck would have it, another friend of hers would be at the show and would be sitting in the seat directly behind us.  Worked for me.

As it turned out I met three other very nice ladies and we all laughed and talked before the show.

So how was the show and Mr. Jackman?  Well, I enjoyed the interaction between him and the audience.  I had never been to a play where one of the actors pulled people from the audience into the play.  He picked on a Marine and had him move down to better seats nearer the stage then had him do a dance.  It as great fun.  Can’t say I was in love with his singing voice, however.  All in all it was a good time but once was enough for me.  Some had been to see the show over a hundred times and as much as I love Michael Crawford and Michael Ball, I can’t see myself going to see them that many times.  Even if I did have the time/money.  

It seemed that Stephanie knew some of the people who were in the show.  They gave her little smiles and waves when they were on our side of the stage which was nice to see.

I’m not into hanging out at stage doors but the others wanted pictures so when the play was over, out we went.  I tried taking a picture or two since I as there but I think I only managed to get a wonderful shot of the back of Mr. Jackmans head.  I’m sure a true fan would know it was him instantly.  Oy.

After that, the five of us walked back over to Barrymores for coffee (hot tea in my case) and something good to eat.  I had the Mississippi Mud pie.  It was my last night of vacation and I was going to enjoy every bite of it.  I only ate half before I had to stop. Way to rich for me.  I’m not used to eating such things anymore.

We laughed and chatted until about 1 o’clock AM when we had to part company.  The pity of it was that they thought I was in the city until Sunday and wanted to go out to lunch and or dinner on both Friday and Saturday, go to a museum,  as well as go to a few more plays.  I had to sadly tell them I was leaving on the morrow which was a shame.  I would have enjoyed that very much.  It was why I had come to the city in the first place, hoping to spend time in the company of new friends.

We said our farewells and I went back to my hotel room, quickly went to bed and promptly fell asleep.  I was up by 6:00 AM, finished my packing and went for one last quick walk around Times Square.  I watched part of  the Today Show be filmed.  Called Mom to tell her I might be on TV is she would only turn it on but she didn’t answer the phone (to early for her, I guess).

I ate breakfast at McD’s in Time Square, bought a few T-shirts as gifts for the gang at work and a few pastries to take home with me.

I walked by the Minskoff Theater and put my hand on the window–Jane, you know why I had to do that but the magic didn’t work.  I think it was the timing.  Oh, well.  

I tryed to get a sense of Mr. Crawford there but it was like radio static.  To many people had walked the same steps and to much time had gone by for me to home in on anything.  Still it was nice to close my eyes and picture him at the door.

Then it was back to the hotel.  I got a porter and checked out of my room, saying “Farewell” to it and closing the door for the final time.

I was lucky that I was ready when I was.  A van was already downstairs to go to JFK so I quickly checked out.  I tried to look down the streets as we rode through the city to get last glimpses of the theaters I had been at and Times Square.  It was another rainy/ cloudy day.  I couldn’t see any of the skyscrapers or the Empire State Build when we crossed the bridge.  It was like it as all hiding from me.

I arrived at the airport, way, way early for my flight .  It turned out my one bag was overweight so I had to pay an extra $25.00 for it.  They said I had more then enough time to go through both bags and transfer some stuff to the lighter bag but I was so tired, I didn’t care.  I was just burning with tiredness at that point.   I just paid the fee and let it go at that.

I settled in a seat by the terminal and played my mp3s while I did a Circle A Word Puzzle or two or three or four.  I lost count.  At some point, I called Elmore to thank him once again and let him know I was at the airport soon to be heading home.  

I would like to say at this point that both Jane and Elmore called me a number of times while I was in the city and I deeply appreciated both their time and caring to see that I was alright.  It was more than I could have hoped for or deserved.

The wait for my flight was finely over and I boarded the plane .  Oddly I felt myself crying when the plane took off but if it was relief, sadness at leaving, or just plain tiredness, I honestly can’t say.  I tried to keep my face towards the window so I wouldn’t bother the kid next to me.  I didn’t want him to see me cry but I’m sure he knew what I was doing.  Then (to my great amazement)  I nodded off for about forty five minutes.  Fell dead asleep without even giving it a thought.   I was so startled when I woke up–I didn’t know where I was for a moment or two.

Soon the plane was touching down in Tampa and my trip to NYC was at an end.

They say that traveling is a great teacher.  I would say I have to agree.  I did learn a lot.  About NYC, about friendship, about myself.  I did it.  I got myself to NYC and back.  Something to be proud of, I think.  Will I ever go to NYC again?  Who knows.  I would have said “no” but perhaps now that I’ve had some time to think about it, I find I might.  Not for the reasons that lead me there the first time.  No, never, ever for them again but someday there might be other, better reasons to go.  And I will know the place next time.  I will do some things better, I think.  I will go to Joe Allens and Barrymores.

And who knows, maybe, if there is a next time, I might even try to ride a subway by myself.    
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #161 on: June 01, 2004, 07:16:41 PM »

Tomovoz we did have a wonderful day.  The weather is perfect.  We woke up to the wonderful aroma of the flowers our younger son sent us, which arrived last night.  

To also answer Jennifer’s question:

We went to a matinee of COMEDY OF ERROR.  The two leads had an incredible amount of energy and were very good.  All in all we had a good time.  The sets and staging were well done. The show was modernized a bit, to the thirties (?) and set in a Vegas type location.  We don’t normally enjoy Shakespeare out of the traditional settings but this was fun and the tough guy accents were a hoot.

Following the show we walked around town a bit, shopped a bit, and then went for an early dinner, or late lunch.  Now we are stuffed.  We had homemade potato chips and a creamy sauce to dip them in.  Our second appetizer was a pastry with a caramelized leek and brie filling.  For dinner we each had the eggplant “sandwich”.  Extremely thin slices of eggplant fried in Panko made up the outside of the “sandwich”.  The inside of the sandwich consisted of caramelized onions and French goats cheese.  The meal was excellent.

Tomovoz

« Reply #162 on: June 01, 2004, 07:23:37 PM »

Good to hear your day was a great one Jane.
Thanks Danise for your travel stories. I now shall await your experiences when you get to London to see "The Woman In White". It's easier than going to New York!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2004, 07:30:17 PM »

We went to a matinee of COMEDY OF ERROR.  The two leads had an incredible amount of energy and were very good.  All in all we had a good time.  The sets and staging were well done. The show was modernized a bit, to the thirties (?) and set in a Vegas type location.  We don’t normally enjoy Shakespeare out of the traditional settings but this was fun and the tough guy accents were a hoot.

DRJane, I knew you'd have a good time!  O excellent day!  The COMEDY OF ERRORS has one of my favorite Shakespeare lines "I to the world am like a drop of water That in the ocean seeks another drop, Who, falling there to find his fellow forth, Unseen, inquisitive, confounds himself.  So I, to find a mother and a brother, In quest of them, unhappy, lose myself."

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2004, 07:39:46 PM »

I would like to say at this point that both Jane and Elmore called me a number of times while I was in the city and I deeply appreciated both their time and caring to see that I was alright.  It was more than I could have hoped for or deserved.

And who knows, maybe, if there is a next time, I might even try to ride a subway by myself.    

DRDanise, what a lovely saga!  I think it turned into a pretty decent trip.  I'm thrilled about the friendships that developed at the last minute with your friends at BOY FROM OZ.  You found a lot of positive things about making the trek, and I think anyone who comes to New York alone has to be a brave and resourceful person.  I'd like to give you a little gold star to reward you and to thank you for your kind words about me.  I can't speak for DRJane (well, I could but it's her day today and I'll let her), but meeting you, as well as my new friends from today, have been highlights to my time here.  I couldn't let a friend hang out here without checking in on them, could I?

Maybe a group of Hainsies will ride the first subway trip with you!  Count me in.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2004, 07:41:26 PM »

Thank you Michael Shayne-WE DID! :) :) :)

Danise, very clever and close enough.  The wedding began at twelve noon.  I’m not sure at what time after that we were pronounced husband and wife.  I was having too much fun to look at my watch.  I enjoyed your story very much.  London is easy, you can spend days walking around by yourself and taking the train to the charming towns outside of the city.

I just love when Keith has Echo, or any dog we have ever had, in the car when he picks me up from someplace.  Our Medford airport is rather small and most often we exit the plane outside.  Last winter it was great fun to get off the plane and hear Echo bark at me from the fence. :D

Elmore, yes it is a good line.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2004, 07:44:54 PM »

DR Danise, I completely loved reading your stories about NYC!  I especially liked reading about how you took the town and went walking around and taking buses by yourself as a first-timer in the city.  In one of your stories, I must have missed a line or two because I thought you took your stroll through Central Park immediately after you had seen Wicked--I thought, "Damn, that's one gutsy gal!"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2004, 07:50:22 PM »

Elmore you can speak for me.  Danise, talking to you on the phone was great and I look forward to meeting you in person one day.

Elmore, Keith said to tell you he favors the line "There's many a man hath more hair than wit".  As he ages and his hair recedes, he appreciates the wisdom of that quote.

Goodnight.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2004, 07:53:19 PM »

I'm making real progress on my room. You can almost open the door.

Today we went to the Burg of Wicken and ate yummy sandwiches.

I wore my pretty white Edwardian gloves with my pretty lacy Edwardian dress and walked through the mall for a school project. I was very pretty.

And happy anniversary Jane and Keith!!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 07:55:21 PM by Sandra »
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2004, 07:54:17 PM »

Yo! Here I am, once again in my tiny luxurious bedsit-with kitchenette at 73rd and Broadway. Oh, whatta day I've had!

Awoke at about 6 ayem to begin the coffee ritual that would get me the $%#@&^%$ outa here in time for the 9 ayem lineup at Equity. I got a good time: after lunch in the first wave. Scurry, scurry, Little Pen! Back to the apartment to get all fahrpitzed, thence to the studios one can rent cheaply, on 72nd St, just around the corner, to scream my bloody head off with impunity, crank up ye olde voix. Kids, it cranked beautifully, I must say, for such an antique!

Then, catch the train down to the office again, hand in the (years-old) headshot and res, and get in line. Adrenaline! Thank you; NEXT! and Little Pen swoops evah so graciously into the inner sanctum, smilingWAAYYYY too happily at the trio seated on the other side of the table. Plunk the Lucia score in front of the terrified kid at the piano - "just the end of the Mad Scene from Lucia... give me two bars from here..." and away we go. I held the high E-flat at the end with a vengeance, friends, a vengeance.

"Wow, that was a high note..." Ms. Blodgett (one of the conductors of Phantom) sez. "Yup," sez I. "E-flat. Yer show has an E, but I'll spare you."

They were kind enough to laugh. "Thanks," they said. "Dontcha wanna hear some of Vilia?" "yeah, okay, sure." Another high note, this one so floaty it musta had helium. "Thank you; NEXT!"

And then the crash. Oy, I should just go back to the cabin and weed the garden in the rain for the rest of my pathetic life! But halfway home, a jolt of Feel-Good, and by the time I was outa my fancy duds and wearing jeans and tennies and on my way to meet my Lads, well, I was one joyous little woodsprite, i can tell you.

So - Joe Allen's: what can I say? the gents have already described the ambience, the food, the (ssshhhhh!) banter. We toasted old friends and new, and were regaled with hilarious riffs by that wicked raconteur, Monsieur Elmore. It was like Old Times, even if it was the first time - something about having exchanged so much of life for months on the site here means no formality, no breaking-in stuff. We're already friends. It was swell. Made me sorry I had bought a ticket to Phantom tonight. Ah, well, other evenings, other conversations...

Phantom: what can I say??? I walked home whistling the scenery! Yowza! Sixty jillion dollars, and you can see every dime up there on stage! Whatta show! I sure hope i get to play Carlotta - cuz her costumes are outrageous! Good performances, packed house. Go figure, after 16 years...

Thanks, gents, for such a lovely visit. See you soon.
PennyO

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2004, 08:29:17 PM »

The Cary Grant documentary was fine, but the stories of his life in New York before he went west were curiously glossed over. Still, it went into some detail over his marriages without delving too much. I don't think he ever let many people into his life who KNEW too much about him.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2004, 08:51:35 PM »

Yes DRJASON that is the part I am playing....makeup man....but also THE GREAT STRELENKO - the guy who runs the girly show on the Midway.

I missed the chat 8-( and I missed Joe Allen's 8-( - heck I even missed PHANTOM 8-( - but thanks for the updates!

And DRDANISE thanks for the NYC trip - it was great fun....and even though others disagree...I still like AIDA myself.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: June 01, 2004, 08:53:24 PM »

Yep, I have to disagree about AIDA. I wouldn't mind my $100 back on it. or maybe four years ago, it was just $90.

Matt H.

« Reply #173 on: June 01, 2004, 08:55:04 PM »

How about some opinions about MAMMA MIA? The national tour comes back through here in early August, and I'm trying to decide if I'm going. I skipped it the first time around. Any fans of it? ANy non-fans? I'd really like to hear both sides from people whose opinions I respect. Thanks in advance.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #174 on: June 01, 2004, 09:00:48 PM »

How about some opinions about MAMMA MIA? The national tour comes back through here in early August, and I'm trying to decide if I'm going. I skipped it the first time around. Any fans of it? ANy non-fans? I'd really like to hear both sides from people whose opinions I respect. Thanks in advance.

If you go in expecting enjoyable entertainment but not necessarily Pulitzer Prize-winning theatre, it's a great deal of fun.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 09:01:33 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #175 on: June 01, 2004, 09:00:56 PM »

Danise - I really enjoyed reading about your NY adventures.

MBarnum

« Reply #176 on: June 01, 2004, 09:24:22 PM »

DR Danise what a lovely sweet ending to you New York trip! I loved reading about it all and you should be very proud of yourself! I am so happy you had the opportunity, and spunk, to go!

MBarnum

« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2004, 09:26:24 PM »

I just finished watching the most wonderful film. KM.0 (Kilometer Zero). It is a recent Spanish film, and oh my gosh, it was good. I highly recommend it. And who knew there were so many good looking gay men in Madrid! LOL!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2004, 09:26:40 PM »

If you go in expecting enjoyable entertainment but not necessarily Pulitzer Prize-winning theatre, it's a great deal of fun.

I agree with Jay in that MM is fun (and believe me, I went in kicking and screaming and wound up enjoying it.)

One thing, though--you should have some familiarity with the ABBA catalog or you will probably wonder what all the fuss is about.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Tomovoz

« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2004, 09:29:21 PM »

MBarnum: I have fond memories of my first visit (alone) to Madrid  in 1973. Beautiful people. I'll look out for the movie.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up