Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN  (Read 25733 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2003, 09:11:15 AM »

MDS -- let me, also, extend my sympathies to you on the loss of your two family members.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2003, 09:23:42 AM »

It did not, however, have wit.  And it needed some wit.  

Thank you, Ron, for providing me with guidance on The Hulk.  I will never see it, because I don't waste my time on anything that lacks wit.  Life has wit.  Bad art doesn't.  In this way the two things are unlike each other.

Yes, birthday girl, I found "caprice" in the Oxford American Dictionary paperback.  This dictionary has hardly any words in it, so, when it does, you can be sure the word is used (in America, at least).

I read no comic books in my youth.  As a young man visiting Japan, I was surprised to find the newsstands had comic books aimed at adults, filled with sex and violence.  Not at all an enlightened attitude about women.  It all seemed so very foreign.

Now of course, on the subway, I see such comics read by people of different languages on seats next to me.

While waiting for the dentist, Dr. Bocarsky, I would read Mad Magazine.  But only then.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2003, 09:26:21 AM »

Good afternoon to my fellow Hainsies/Kimlets (the E. Coast ones anyway)! I am stuck here in my room until it is cleaned, which is going to take a million and a half years. Every article of clothing I own is on the floor, along with everything else you could possibly think of. Sad, really.

The Holiday babysitting season has begun, and I'm already on a roll. I have a job today at 1:30, and I'm already getting scheduled for parties in mid-December. I shall be rolling in the dough, although I'm going to have absolutely no life. I'll be rich and lifeless. Like Donald Trump.

I never read comics when I was younger, except the ones in the newspaper. They were too boy-ish for me. But I remember my brother always had Spiderman or X-Men or something of the sort lying around.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO EMILY! No longer a teenager, *sob*, you've ditched me. I hope your day is filled with cake and happiness and presents and all that jazz.

I'll add to the story when I'm done with my lunch. Weren't we talking about roses in chat last night? It all goes fuzzy when you look at the shocking number of things that were revealed, I'm forgetting the details.

Pink tanktop, black sweatpants, pink flip flops. It is nice and warm here in VA...again...I'm loving it.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Ben

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2003, 09:44:33 AM »

It is a GORGEOUS day here in NYC. 78 degrees at last notation. November and 78 degrees. Wow! I'm wearing tan khakis, a brown short-sleeved button down shirt and penny loafers with brown socks.

I still need to come back to the story. Sorry. I will get to it later, I hope. This silly thing called my job keeps interfering.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2003, 09:49:26 AM »

Dear BK--I will be at Dear World tonight in Glendale.  Not sure if that's incentive for you to come.  Or stay away.   ;)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2003, 09:52:25 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday Emily!!![/move]

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2003, 09:53:20 AM »

I came into the library to do an assignment for my Computers class. I need to make a Power Point presentation out of a file we put together in class. But we have to share computers, so the file is saved to the H:/ drive of the guy I worked with in class. Why does the teacher give assignments if only half the people in the class have the file? And this isn't the first time he's done this. AAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2003, 09:55:12 AM »

Oh, and happy birthday, Emily. May your day be free of stupid Computers teachers and rich in Cherry Coke.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jay

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2003, 09:56:54 AM »

Dear Reader Laura--I have been meaning to ask you:  What is the picture you've posted as part of your profile?  It's very blurry.  Is it one of those "Magic Eye" thingies where if I cross my eyes and stare at it for a while I'll see DaVinci's "The Last Supper" or something?

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2003, 10:03:26 AM »

Happy Birthday[/color] EMILY

Sorry I wasn't in chat yesterday. But I was actually already in bed at 9 o'clock. My sinuses were just hurting too much :(

For DR Kerry: I'm glad you figured out how to post your pic.

For DR Swishy: For all we've heard about your dad not letting you use the internet right now (hey has that decision been reversed yet?), what you described yesterday was just really nice.  The fact that he waits up for you till you come home from babysitting, and the fact that he picks you up no questions asked ... he sounds like a really great dad.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2003, 10:11:51 AM »

People, we're telling a story here - go back to MDS' post on page one and continue it - it's Emily's birthday wish that you do so.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2003, 10:15:59 AM »

Jennifer: My dad is awesome. Really smart and nice and funny and yeah. He always makes those corny "dad jokes", and he LIVES to go to my concerts and games and stuff. Uber-supportive and proud. Gotta love him.

And no, the internet thing hasn't been reversed. But I think he's just choosing to look the other way, because he hasn't said anything. I'm just not on as MUCH as I was. Like less than half the time. When report cards come out, we'll see what they say. If I have a B, then I think they'll let up on it. It I have a C or below, the computer is probably going to be taken away. I'm trying not to think about it.

Don't have time to write on the story, but I promise I will when I get home!! I get to go babysit kids while they're napping. Hopefully the stress won't kill me. ;)
...Walk in the sunshine...

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2003, 10:34:09 AM »

Roger DeBris. He'll get you fit for your leather costumes (He Loves It) and you of course will have to have a crash course in playing a banjo and then it started to thunder and the skies opened up and a deluge occured. He immediatley started to sing If the Rains Gotta Fall.....

Suddenly, none other than Broadway's favorite producer, Max Bialystock, burst in and grabbed Roger by the arm.  

Bialy's face was tomato-red...this of course, meant that he was not pleased.  "Roger, I've been looking all over for you!  I've just had an amazing idea for a new show."

Roger stood there, rapt.  "What...."Out Brief Candle," the Macbeth musical??  Or "Sexy Oedipus Rexy," the risque Ancient Greek revue??

"NO!" cried Bialy.  I'm going to put up the greatest musical of all time and I want you to direct it.  It's a musical about Atilla the Hun!!"

Roger clapped his hands together.  "I love it!  I can only imagine the possibilities!!!"

TCB--LOL, I stand corrected!  Emily is out of her teen years today, not going into her tween ones!

Sarah--Your dad does sound very cool...I love his new "Turn head the other way while Swishy posts on HHW" policy!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2003, 10:59:23 AM »

Roger immediately launched into a title song:

Attila, he was a killa
He was a darling, a sweetheart, a hun
Don't want to cross him
Don't want to boss him
Because if he gets mad it's really bad
And not a lot of fun!

Attila, strong as a pilla
He had such muscles especially his buns
He'll put your eye out
And you will cry out
Because Attila is the mother of all Huns
I really mean it
Attila is the mother of all Huns
He's pretty beefy
Attila is the mother of all Huns!

Roger looked at Max and said, "Well, what do you think?"

Max looked at Roger and said...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2003, 11:02:33 AM »

Max looked at Roger and said:  

"It's killer - we open in two weeks!"

Rushing to his office - with the strains of the Half a Sixpence Entracte filling his ears, Roger's feverish brain began to calculate.....

Attila the Hun....a hun-ey of a show....DeBris does it again...Hun Conquers Broadway...Hun's the One!

But the star would have to be someone who could command the stage.  A name that would mean instant box office and theatre parties for months.  Roger could always find someone to write the book and music, those people were easy to find - in fact why not just buy the James Darren catalog and work from that?  Inspired.

Roger thought a moment more and then flipped his rolodex.  He knew the man for the part.  He knew the performer who had those mysterious qualities that stage audiences love.  He checked the card and dialed a number in Las Vegas.

The dark haired man picked up on the first ring:  "Hello this is Robert Goulet speaking."

"Bob," said Roger excitedly, "do you have Michael Crawford's telephone number?"

-----------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 11:03:55 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2003, 11:07:08 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Emilyyyyyyyyyyyy.... Happy Birthday to you!![/move]

Wasn't into comic books, but I read Mad and Cracked.  Favorite books were The Chronicles of Narnia and Sweet Valley High.

Unfortunately, that's it for now...must get back to work but wanted to pop in and say hi!
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Ben

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2003, 11:09:47 AM »

"How lucky is this", Goulet crooned, in that velvet baritone of his. I'm having lunch with Michael this afternoon. We're going to discuss my taking Dance of the Vampires out on a full-blown Equity tour. Would you care to join us? Meet us at the Cafe Edison in 10 minutes. Love you. He blows air kisses through the phone and hangs up.

Ben

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2003, 11:10:54 AM »

JRand, only 8 more to 200 posts. I eagly await the outcome.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2003, 11:15:00 AM »

DR Ben- hmmmmmmmm....I don't think anything is supposed to happen at 200 posts - but time will tell!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2003, 11:22:01 AM »

Just once...just once...I would like to get to the beginning of the New Year without having to change my Insurance Carrier.  All of the paperwork, all of the aggravation.  Making sure your doctor is in the plan, making sure that your premium doesn't triple, and making sure everything you need is in the plan.

I am NOT ready for government sponsored insurance, but why does it have to change every year???

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2003, 11:27:34 AM »

LOL...I just looked at today's heading again....perfect for my last rant!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2003, 11:32:06 AM »

Are we having another slow morning?  Will we set another record by going nuts at the end of the day?  Have you promised me a rose garden?

Laura II

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2003, 11:35:11 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy birthday, Emily![/move]

May your day be merry and bright! (I stole that from "White Christmas"-- so sue me)

As you can see, my creative juices are not flowing, so I've decided to just read the story for now! I can't wait to read the rest!

RE comic books: I read Archie comics when I was younger. I loved his love triangle with Betty and Veronica.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2003, 11:37:40 AM »

JRand53, I am so enjoying the Allison Hayes picture of the day!!! I do hope that I am not the only one  ;D

Perhaps it will entice other DRs to go out and view some of her wonderful films and become Allison cultists...er...fans, just like you and I!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2003, 11:43:05 AM »

Somehow, DR MBarnum, I feel that we are voices in the wilderness and that Miss District of Columbia 1949 is destined to remain a cult figure, known only to a few.

Until the Criterion DVD Release of Pier Five Havana, that stirring political diatribe starring Mary Jane and Cameron Mitchell, she will be only footnote in the annals of Hollywood Show Business.

Jason

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2003, 11:47:41 AM »

I'm finally back from DC...what a long weekend it has been. I think I got about 6 hours of sleep the whole time I was there. First off, my allergies are all in a tizzy because of the weird temperature changes (as DR Ben said, it's November and nearly 80 degrees! What's that about?!) Secondly, I saw BOUNCE yesterday and could hardly make it through the first performance, so I skipped out on the evening performance and let someone else go in my place.

The show is bad. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. The direction is bad, the music is apparently the rest of Sondheim's trunks songs from other shows that he didn't get to use in PASSION, the scenery didn't make sense a lot of the time, and a few of the performances were quite dull--especially Ms. Jane Powell. The story isn't at all worthy of being musicalized and at intermission I was ready to go home. Howard McGillin sounded fabulous, as usual, but brought very little interest to his character, though I fear that is the way the role is written...Richard Kind was wonderful, and our very own Ms. Michele Pawk was very good as well. Mr. Gavin Creel was quite handsome, but wasted in his role, and Ms. Jane Powell...well...she didn't impress me at all and her voice is practically non-existent now. Mr. Prince's direction is stale, predictable and sometimes downright silly, and Mr. Sondheim, as I said, has recycled some of his favorite...um...melodies...and even some of his favorite "clever" lyrics. Is it a requisite now to use the combination of "reverse/curse" in every show he writes? I love Sondheim...I love Prince...but I think this show was a bad idea. Perhaps with a few listens to the score I might appreciate it more, but I really doubt that I could sit through it again.

The trip home thoroughly exhausted me. Greyhound Busses aren't the most comfortable things in the world, so I think I'm going to take a nap now.

Happy Birthday, Emily and a Happy Belated Birthday to DR Mark Rothman!! (Only 16 days to my natal day celebration...)

DR Tom: Thank you for the new calendar! The pictures are gorgeous!

DR Ben: Loved the pictures. Who knew you looked like William Katt?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2003, 11:50:16 AM »

You see?  I am just too anal for this kind of story.  I thought the story was taking place in New York, and then it kind of shifted to L.A.  But then Roger called Goulet in Vegas and the three of them decided to get together for lunch at the Cafe Edison in ten minutes.  Well, I don't know where the Cafe Edison is, but I know you can't get from L.A. to Vegas in ten minutes...... So, was Roger in Vegas the whole time?  Does Roger have a rocket ship to get from L.A. to the Cafe Edison?  So, I am at a total loss as to how to proceed with the story?  Does any of that make sense?
“One thing’s universal,

Jason

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2003, 11:52:12 AM »

Isn't the Cafe Edison somewhere in the low 50's between B'way and 8th Ave. at the Hotel Edison? I believe I ate there once...it was tasty and CHEAP! The only thing that scared me about it was the very pushy Czech man who asked me what I wanted before he ever gave me a menu...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2003, 11:55:23 AM »

Someone said, "How can we be in three places at the same time, that's what I'd like to know?"  It was then that they all realized they were in a time/space continuum.  The theme from The Twilight Zone began to play inside their heads as Robert Goulet said...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2003, 12:05:55 PM »

Jason:  Maybe the Czech man wasn't asking about food?

Thank you, BK, I just needed you to get the story back on track.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 12:17:54 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up