Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THEY ABIDE, AND THEY ENDURE  (Read 13588 times)

Cillaliz

Re: THEY ABIDE, AND THEY ENDURE
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2010, 07:56:22 PM »

Cuddle Duds

Laura

« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2010, 08:05:57 PM »

The Monarch Scientist will take a look at my little monarch tomorrow to see if she thinks she can fly.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2010, 08:09:01 PM »

Was the Raposo Raggedy Ann an adaptation of the animated film he wrote the score for?  I love several of those songs, especially Blue, What Did I See, and Candy Hearts and Paper Flowers.  I'll discuss Wonderful Life in the notes tonight.

I think the musical came first, although I could be wrong. It was such a mess: doctors trying to kill the little girl who owned Raggedy Ann and Andy, a werewolf in cahoots with the doctors, a bunch of evil and sexy bats who tried to seduce and strip Raggedy Andy for a map to locate whatever object will save the girl from death. At the beginning of Act Two, the werewolf came down to the apron and howled. This litle kid in the balcony panicked, started shrieking and screaming "Get me out of here!" I thought, kid, you're speaking for all of us.
The movie came first. I think most of the score was dropped for the stage show, which was illogically conceived. Terrible costumes, choreography and a cast that was uneven in talent. If I recall, many were not in the union, which prompted its own problems when it arrived on Broadway. The only song I remember was something called "Buttons and Bows" that was repeated one too many times for its own good.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2010, 08:14:21 PM »

The doctor finally came through and called in a prescription for an antibiotic. I've taken two so far and already feel some better. But it's still difficult to chew, which is hard for someone who eats. Had pumpkin ice cream for dinner. And a fruitsicle.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #184 on: November 17, 2010, 08:20:17 PM »

I hope you feel better real soon, John G.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #185 on: November 17, 2010, 08:24:52 PM »

Feel better vibes for DR John G!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2010, 08:27:33 PM »

You can see most of the film of Raggedy Ann and Andy on You Tube.  Didi Conn voices Ann and I think the boy who played Candide in the Harold Prince production plays Andy - it's not a good movie (my daughter and I finally walked out) but some of the songs are just aces.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2010, 08:28:38 PM »

Finished watching the close to three hour Charles Laughton Directs Night Of The Hunter on disc two of the new Criterion set.  Really fascinating on many levels.  I dare say, that if someone tried to direct Laughton the way he's directing his actors he would have had them for dinner or quit.

Ginny

« Reply #188 on: November 17, 2010, 08:28:38 PM »

'night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #189 on: November 17, 2010, 08:37:42 PM »

Finished watching the close to three hour Charles Laughton Directs Night Of The Hunter on disc two of the new Criterion set.  Really fascinating on many levels.  I dare say, that if someone tried to direct Laughton the way he's directing his actors he would have had them for dinner or quit.
I heard he treated Elsa the same way.
― Voltaire

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #190 on: November 17, 2010, 09:08:19 PM »

My deepest condolences to Matthew on the loss of your friend
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #191 on: November 17, 2010, 09:08:34 PM »

Feel Better Vibes to John G

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #192 on: November 17, 2010, 09:08:49 PM »

BK's close personal friends at A-1 Record Finders gave me a copy of the Raposo RAGGEDY ANN one day when I was in there spending too much money.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

« Reply #193 on: November 17, 2010, 09:08:59 PM »

I hope TCB's earache has gone away l

John G.

« Reply #194 on: November 17, 2010, 09:11:15 PM »

thank you all for the vibes. I hope a good night's sleep also helps.
― Voltaire

vixmom

« Reply #195 on: November 17, 2010, 09:18:27 PM »

tonight the Vixter and I went to the mvie theatre for the One Night Only showing of the 25th Anniversary Concert of Les Miserables

Marius was sung by one of the Jonas brothers - the front seats were all occupied by fangirls who, whenever young Mr Jonas appeared on screen, would immedialtely start taking flash photos  and holding up their phones and video the movie -

the manager of the movie theatre happened to be in the audience in the row behind ours - he had a large uniformed security guard warn the girls to put their phones away - with limited success - but at the 10 minute intermission he walkewd down  and said "Not only is your behavior rude and distracting to the rest of the audience but it is also illegal - if there is an repeat of this behavior in the second half of the show, I will bring the house  lights up and you will be leaving in a police vehicle." 

The second half of the show the audience was very well behaved

vixmom

« Reply #196 on: November 17, 2010, 09:20:53 PM »

Laura not only do I not think you are wasting your time - I greatly admire how you spend your time !

vixmom

« Reply #197 on: November 17, 2010, 09:21:12 PM »

wing vibes for your pet butterfly

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: November 17, 2010, 09:37:24 PM »

Listening to music.

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #199 on: November 17, 2010, 09:43:02 PM »

MEGA VIBES FOR EVERYONE WHO NEEDS THEM  :) ;)
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #200 on: November 17, 2010, 09:45:18 PM »

That's all.  I'm tired. 

FAST.

Time to logout and finish bk's book before sleep.

Night all.  ;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

vixmom

« Reply #201 on: November 17, 2010, 10:11:26 PM »

well ot is tomorrow so tme for sleeps

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #202 on: November 17, 2010, 10:11:45 PM »

The doctor finally came through and called in a prescription for an antibiotic. I've taken two so far and already feel some better. But it's still difficult to chew, which is hard for someone who eats. Had pumpkin ice cream for dinner. And a fruitsicle.

~~~Continued Vibes for John G.!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #203 on: November 17, 2010, 10:14:39 PM »

tonight the Vixter and I went to the mvie theatre for the One Night Only showing of the 25th Anniversary Concert of Les Miserables

Marius was sung by one of the Jonas brothers - the front seats were all occupied by fangirls who, whenever young Mr Jonas appeared on screen, would immedialtely start taking flash photos  and holding up their phones and video the movie -

the manager of the movie theatre happened to be in the audience in the row behind ours - he had a large uniformed security guard warn the girls to put their phones away - with limited success - but at the 10 minute intermission he walkewd down  and said "Not only is your behavior rude and distracting to the rest of the audience but it is also illegal - if there is an repeat of this behavior in the second half of the show, I will bring the house  lights up and you will be leaving in a police vehicle." 

The second half of the show the audience was very well behaved

Good for the manager!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #204 on: November 17, 2010, 10:43:26 PM »

Is anyone else having trouble with Facebook?  I get this message:

Account Temporarily Unavailable.

Your account is currently unavailable due to a site issue. We expect this to be resolved shortly. Please try again in a few minutes.

:-\

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #205 on: November 17, 2010, 11:24:09 PM »

Oh, man. I've just returned from The Academy, where we screened our film. WOW!!! I don't htink it will ever look of sound as good as it did in that room; spectacular! I've noticed when I see movies in LA that they sound better than anywhere else, but this was superb!

We had a surprise---Al Rosen attended and was part of the group of speakers afterwards. We didn't know he was coming; it was a thrilled to meet him! We also had Mike Lieberthal and Shawn Green there. It was great to meet them all after looking at them on my laptop computer for months on end. They were all adorable, and Al said he cries every time he sees the film (in a good way!). It was so neat to see the film with them; it was the first time Shawn and Mike had seen it and they really loved it! The audience was very appreciative, and it was interesting to see the film with a NY crowd and what they bring to it, and then an LA crowd, since those two towns are such a big part of the story, especially with Sandy Koufax.

So I'm just kvelling in a major way!

Tomorrow we're shooting for our next film, and interviewing Lieber and Stoller. Can't wait to meet them!

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #206 on: November 17, 2010, 11:29:09 PM »

Good Evening!

Bryn Terfel's recital at Carnegie Hall was truly wonderful. An all-Schumann first half, with Finzi, Ibert and a tribute to the Welsh-American baritone, John Charles Thomas, in the second half. -He sang Albert Hay Malotte's setting of "The Lord's Prayer" - it was truly the most beautiful and sincere version I've ever heard of that song. And, yes, it made me cry. -Oh, and he invited the audience to sing along with him during "Home On The Range". :)

And his pianist, Malcolm Martineau, was flawless as always.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: November 17, 2010, 11:30:32 PM »

Oh, man. I've just returned from The Academy, where we screened our film. WOW!!! I don't htink it will ever look of sound as good as it did in that room; spectacular! I've noticed when I see movies in LA that they sound better than anywhere else, but this was superb!

We had a surprise---Al Rosen attended and was part of the group of speakers afterwards. We didn't know he was coming; it was a thrilled to meet him! We also had Mike Lieberthal and Shawn Green there. It was great to meet them all after looking at them on my laptop computer for months on end. They were all adorable, and Al said he cries every time he sees the film (in a good way!). It was so neat to see the film with them; it was the first time Shawn and Mike had seen it and they really loved it! The audience was very appreciative, and it was interesting to see the film with a NY crowd and what they bring to it, and then an LA crowd, since those two towns are such a big part of the story, especially with Sandy Koufax.

So I'm just kvelling in a major way!

Tomorrow we're shooting for our next film, and interviewing Lieber and Stoller. Can't wait to meet them!

:) :) :) :)

Wonderful! Wonderful!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: November 17, 2010, 11:32:07 PM »

Is anyone else having trouble with Facebook?  I get this message:

Account Temporarily Unavailable.

Your account is currently unavailable due to a site issue. We expect this to be resolved shortly. Please try again in a few minutes.

:-\

That's been happening periodically to "everyone".  You'll have access again soon enough.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: November 17, 2010, 11:34:49 PM »

As for Raggedy Ann - The Musical Adventure - I vaguely remember seeing it at The Kennedy Center.  And I think it's a good thing that my memory is vague of it. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up