Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: HO, HO, HO  (Read 28200 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:HO, HO, HO
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2007, 10:52:15 AM »

I think you're very rude to make fun of my new keyboard.

It wasn't the "keyboard" I was suspicious of....

;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2007, 10:52:27 AM »

Page 5....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2007, 10:52:39 AM »

When I first started traveling on business my rule was to pack as light as possible. But one fateful trip I arrived at my destination to find that my business clothes did NOT travel well at all--and I had nothing else with me. That taught me to allow for contingencies. Light, yes, but not THAT light. Of course, vacation travel is easier. And, best of all, have access to a washer and dryer.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2007, 10:59:50 AM »

Jeanne, why don't you have that person the TSA always asks you about ("has anyone else packed your bag"?) do it for you?

;D
Well, the question is: who? My friend Annabella packs everything under the sun. If you're traveling with her you have no worries if you forget something--she'll always have it. Cuticle scissors? She'll have them. Little hangers specially designed for hand-washing? She'll have them.

BTW, I do understand why TSA asks that, but just how many people these days have someone else to pack for them? A spouse, perhaps. Yes, that. I don't think many people have butlers these days. Does the KGB send over agents to pack for certain high-profile people? I mean, really!! Of COURSE I packed my bag!!  ;)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2007, 11:01:03 AM »

Keith has truly impressed on me the art of traveling lightly.  When he worked he traveled so much he was a million mile traveler on two separate airlines.   It was the rare occasion he checked luggage, and I mean rare occasion.  He carried on one hanging bag and his briefcase.  The hanging bag was never completely unpacked at home.  It was left hanging, mostly packed and ready to go within minutes.  Keith had it down to a science of what he needed.  Of course, basically it was toiletries and business clothes.

I will admit I travel with fewer clothes when I travel alone so I don’t have to carry a heavy suitcase & I basically take one roll-on bag and a BIG purse.  The new liquid rules on flights have forced me to check luggage if I’m staying for any length of time, otherwise I’ll run out products that require more than 3ounces for my entire stay.  So annoying-darn those terrorist.  

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2007, 11:08:55 AM »

I was advised by a frequent-traveler colleague to keep two sets of toiletries--one in the bathroom, the other for travel. I found that approach quite helpful. I couldn't standardize my clothes due to climates and such, but I could certainly standardize my toiletries.

Jane

« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2007, 11:10:13 AM »

The first time I flew to L.A. without Keith-had to take Bryan & the new baby home for a visit-Keith packed my bag for me while I was busy packing all the baby stuff.  When the boys were young I, or we, usually stayed with his parents.  When it was time to leave I found I couldn't get everything back into the suitcase and turned to Keith’s father for help.  His father, who Keith obviously acquired his organizational & artistic skills from, began laughing & asked if Keith had done my packing.  It was very embarrassing & the last time Keith did the packing unless he was with me.  

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2007, 11:10:44 AM »

Another coworker had a system where he kept a suitcase fully packed in the trunk of his car. When he returned from a trip he dumped the old suitcase and grabbed the fresh one.

Jane

« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2007, 11:12:19 AM »

From Keith's example and all my emergency trips home I always keep a toiletry bag backed, we both do.  Within that I now keep a separate baggie with those little 3 oz bottles in case I fly.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2007, 11:12:20 AM »

I will need a separate suitcase just for my Prozac when we fly to NC in January.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2007, 11:12:30 AM »

But, Jane, dirty clothes always take up more room than clean ones! That's always the case with me. I don't know why.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2007, 11:12:32 AM »

When I go home for my annual visit, there are various "occasions" I have to pack for.  Church is one.  Dinner "out" is another...either at someone's home or in a restaurant.

Plus, there's visiting.  I don't want to wear the same things everywhere I go for two weeks...primarily because I keep seeing the same people who would start wondering if I owned more than one pair of pants and one shirt.  ;)

TSA rules have some idiosyncracies.  What's the deal with "no food" brought from home?  What harm can there be in a couple of sandwiches and a piece of cake or some homemade candy or cookies?  (aside from dietary harm, that is).

I'd be far more suspicious of airport personnel putting something sinister in my food than TSA should be of my mom's sandwiches.  :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2007, 11:14:51 AM »

From Keith's example and all my emergency trips home I always keep a toiletry bag backed, we both do.  Within that I now keep a separate baggie with those little 3 oz bottles in case I fly.

Over the past two years, I've stocked my mom's guest bathroom with everthing I need in the way of toiletries for my stay.  Now I don't have to carry anything more than my "meds".

I've considered what I'd do if I went "elsewhere" and have decided I'd just buy stuff I need when I get there.

Jane

« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2007, 11:15:56 AM »

Keith doesn't enjoy traveling anymore.  He is happy to stay at home.  I still have much of the world I want to see, not that I want to get there by plane or step into another airport.  

Just think if you had your own jet you could leave extra clothes & things on the plane.  Best of all we could go almost anywhere with Sherlock.

Jane

« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2007, 11:16:26 AM »

I will need a separate suitcase just for my Prozac when we fly to NC in January.  ;)

;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #135 on: December 12, 2007, 11:17:37 AM »

Except for deciding what I'll wear for the flight, I'm virtually done now.  All is not inside the suitcase and carryon, but all is sitting out ready to be baggied (!) and tucked away.  I ditched a pair of black dress shoes.  If my black walking shoes are sniffed at when I wear them to church, so be it.  They look okay to me.  They're clean and shiny.  

Tough noogies if someone judges me based upon those shoes.

Jane

« Reply #136 on: December 12, 2007, 11:18:49 AM »

But, Jane, dirty clothes always take up more room than clean ones! That's always the case with me. I don't know why.

I know what you mean.  You can clean your clothes while traveling.  

When Craig was in the Peace Corps & had to wash his clothes in the bathtub, after boiling water for them, he met us in Budapest with a suitcase full of dirty clothes.  We sent them all out, including his underwear, with the hotel laundry.  I have never seen anyone so excited about clean clothes.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #137 on: December 12, 2007, 11:20:15 AM »

I'm carrying three full weeks worth of meds (blood pressure, blood sugar, assorted other stuff including potassium supplements).  And they're traveling in three of those plastic medicine tablet cases.  My only real concern is having to pack a Christmas ornament in my suitcase.  I fear it will be broken.  But I don't think they'll let me have it in my carry-on, because it's glass. I'll have to scour my TSA rules printout.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: December 12, 2007, 11:20:18 AM »

Keith doesn't enjoy traveling anymore.  He is happy to stay at home.  I still have much of the world I want to see, not that I want to get there by plane or step into another airport.  

Just think if you had your own jet you could leave extra clothes & things on the plane.  Best of all we could go almost anywhere with Sherlock.

Did you ask Santa for your own jet?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #139 on: December 12, 2007, 11:21:11 AM »

Onward.  I have some clothes in the dryer, some of which must be folded and added to my suitcase.

Jane

« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2007, 11:24:41 AM »

Ron I carry food with me.  I thought you just can't take water from home.  

Great idea keeping stuff at your mother's.  My problem with toiletries is my allergies.  I can't put just any product on my skin or hair & I have always made a practice of carrying those items on the plane with me in case my luggage is lost.  

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: December 12, 2007, 11:24:50 AM »

And I must at least try to get some more work done.

Jane

« Reply #142 on: December 12, 2007, 11:27:23 AM »

Ron, if the meds are liquids there shouldn't be a problem.  

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: December 12, 2007, 11:27:37 AM »

Ron I carry food with me.  I thought you just can't take water from home.  

Great idea keeping stuff at your mother's.  My problem with toiletries is my allergies.  I can't put just any product on my skin or hair & I have always made a practice of carrying those items on the plane with me in case my luggage is lost.  

I, too, carry food. And I, too, would have difficulty finding the toiletries I prefer.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2007, 11:28:15 AM »

Now, work!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2007, 11:33:03 AM »

Ron, I don't think there are any problems with carrying glass. I carried an entire set of vintage mixing bowls when I went to visit my sister. No problem.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2007, 11:34:36 AM »

I ordered a couple of books while at Barnes and Noble this morning; I will wait until they are in before buying the rest. I should take DR Sandra along to choose the older kids' books.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2007, 11:34:49 AM »

Back from the post office, which was empty (they told me the reason for the huge lines was property tax deadline on Monday, and then all those people on Monday who couldn't get in overflowed to Tuesday), and other errands, and shall now be on my way to lunch with Hisaka.

Jane

« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2007, 11:36:50 AM »

Say hello to Hisaka

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2007, 11:50:22 AM »

Ron, I don't think there are any problems with carrying glass. I carried an entire set of vintage mixing bowls when I went to visit my sister. No problem.

Then maybe all is not lost/hopeless/beyond reasoning just yet!  :D

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up