Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: KIMMEL ON KINDLE  (Read 21804 times)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
Re: KIMMEL ON KINDLE
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2010, 10:34:53 AM »

There's a rumor that Amazon is going to give free Kindles to Amazon Prime subscribers.  I don't know if that means it would be a gift for new subscribers only or to anyone who already subscribes.

And, where did you hear this rumor?

::)
You can dream…or you can do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2010, 11:32:33 AM »

DR Druxy,

Jane

« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2010, 11:33:40 AM »

HOUSE REPAIR VIBES TO DS OF DR GEORGE!

Jane

« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2010, 11:35:48 AM »

I've never seen a Kindle, but there's something nice about holding a book and I sometimes chose books based on the cover design. If I see it in a store, and it grabs my eye, I'll read the back, and then flip through and decide if I want to buy.

I do the same thing.  Just recently I read a book I discovered just that way which I enjoyed very much, THE SUMMER KITCHEN.  I lent it to a friend & she thought it was wonderful. :-)

Jane

« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2010, 11:39:19 AM »

I've never seen a Kindle, but there's something nice about holding a book and I sometimes chose books based on the cover design. If I see it in a store, and it grabs my eye, I'll read the back, and then flip through and decide if I want to buy.

I do the same thing.  Just recently I read a book I discovered just that way which I enjoyed very much, THE SUMMER KITCHEN.  I lent it to a friend & she thought it was wonderful. :-)

I also read the book because of the title.  I'm very influenced by titles to read or ignore a book.  When DR td mentioned HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET, I knew I had to read the book simply because of the title.

Jane

« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2010, 11:41:51 AM »

My brother in-law recently had jury duty.  He mentioned a number of people were reading on their Kindles. 

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2010, 11:47:35 AM »

Ooohh...vibes to your sister, George. Being on my 3rd old house, I feel her pain. After all the September rains, part of our house is sinking.

Thanks, Edi!

I hope the builder makes good on his 1 year coverage!

He'd better!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2010, 11:48:58 AM »

DR Jane, be sure to read THE LOST CITY OF Z.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

George

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2010, 11:50:32 AM »

That's awful about the burst pipe, George. How in the world could that happen on a new house? Didn't they use copper?

I don't know about the pipes.  Talking to my supervisor this morning, he thinks that it could probably have been a problem with a joint, but the plumber is supposed to be there now, so hopefully he'll be able to figure it out.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2010, 11:51:11 AM »

I know it probably seems trivial to those of you who have at least an inkling of your family's history, but when you've grown up "in the dark", as my sisters and I did, it's really been both revelatory and very moving to find out at least a little something about our grandparents and, now, even further back.

My mother's father was missing, not because he split but because he didn't know where his ex-wife moved after remarrying.  My mother never found her father or knew what happened to him.  An uncle gave her two letters from her father years after they were written.  Had she had them sooner she could have found him.  My parents hired a private eye to search for him.  I think he took their money & did nothing.  A few years back we learned where he is buried, in a popper's grave, in Wales.  I cried when I found out.  He died young & my mother's search was too late.  It is very sad we don't even have a photo of him.

George

« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2010, 11:51:41 AM »

Sorry to hear of your sister's troubles, DR GEORGE....most distressing.

Yes, very distressing for several reasons.

Jane

« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2010, 11:53:05 AM »

A most happy birthday to you, DR Druxy!! Go out and make some snow angels!

Who knew there were politically incorrect birf'day birthday cards?

;D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2010, 11:53:16 AM »

There's a rumor that Amazon is going to give free Kindles to Amazon Prime subscribers.  I don't know if that means it would be a gift for new subscribers only or to anyone who already subscribes.

And, where did you hear this rumor?

Um, here...

...here...

...here...

...and here...

... and here...

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2010, 11:59:22 AM »

If you want to talk "politically incorrect," try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04BhAxBNWIo

Merv's reaction is priceless.

OMG!  I almost peed myself!  Pat Paulsen was a genius!

I liked Merv's reaction.

George

« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2010, 12:06:34 PM »

Vibes to DR George's sister. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks, Jennifer!

Jane

« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2010, 12:10:12 PM »

DR Jane, be sure to read THE LOST CITY OF Z.

After my injury the friend I had lunch with sent me a small desk calendar, the kind you tear the page off each day.  Every day I read about a different book.  The other day THE LOST CITY was the book of the day.  I thought it was the same book you suggested, now I realize it isn't.  Did you also read The Lost City?  I have Z on my list of books to read.  At the moment I have a bag full books to work through.

Jane

« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2010, 12:11:46 PM »

Ron I really don’t remember why I was surprised Hamilton won.  Maybe I did prefer Orsers skate, it is just a vague memory.  I knew who Hamilton was.  In fact when we lived in Massachusetts his cousin was a neighbor. She was also very athletic & taught the best, as in most fun, aerobics class I ever took.  By the ’84 Olympics we had left Massachusetts & lived in Pennsylvania.  The boys were at an age that kept me very busy with less time to focus on the Olympics.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2010, 12:13:18 PM »

Thanks for all these terrific titles.  One nice thing about using a Kindle is that you can download a sample of a title before you buy the entire book. 

Jane

« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2010, 12:14:56 PM »

Speaking of the Olympics, Shannon Bahrke winner of the Olympic bronze in the moguls competition is a supporter of Best Friends Animal Sanctuary.  When you buy a special Best Friends blend from her Silver Bean Coffee company, the animals get a portion of the proceeds. The coffee is 100 percent organic and Free Trade.

Matthew

« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2010, 12:15:33 PM »

I also read the book because of the title.  I'm very influenced by titles to read or ignore a book.  When DR td mentioned HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET, I knew I had to read the book simply because of the title.

DR Jane, who is the author of "The Summer Kitchen" - there are 2 on Amazon.

Jane

« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2010, 12:20:05 PM »

Lisa Wingate

Jane

« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2010, 12:23:46 PM »

DR Matthew, after checking it out, is it the kind of book you want to read?  I'm not sure it is for everyone, not that every book is.  When I read the Kite Runner I practically insisted everyone read it.

Matthew

« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2010, 12:31:44 PM »

I check everything out first.  That's what's nice about the sample :)

George

« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2010, 12:32:38 PM »

TOD:

I love my Kindle!  I also love books.  But I don't have to own a hardcopy of every single book that I want to read--my bookshelves are already packed and overflowing.  The Kindle can hold thousands of books, plus anything I purchase through the Kindle bookstore is stored in my Amazon Digital Locker (or whatever it's called) and I can download them whenever I need to.  If I come across a book elsewhere that's in pdf form, I can e-mail it to Amazon and they will convert it to the Kindle format. 

The Kindle is lightweight, so reading something like that last Stephen King book was not also a weightlifting experience. And the screen is completely readable in all kinds of light.  I regularly read from my Kindle on the beach during the summer. (I do wish that it had a back light for bedtime reading, but it seems they are concerned with battery life.  I get around this by using a clip-on light.)  The unit is also durable--I've dropped it a number of times with no ill effect....

A woman that I work with had a Kindle and hers dropped from her kitchen table.  A corner hit the ground just right and cracked the screen...totally ruined.  And I guess you can't even get any kind of insurance like you can with cell phones.  She was out the $300. :P

Matthew

« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2010, 12:34:39 PM »

Speaking of checking things out - I highly recommend

"The Glass Castle - A Memoir" by Jeannette Walls

George

« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2010, 12:36:02 PM »

Birthday Snow!

There's something I'm not ever likely to see.

Me either! (My birthday is in July)

Cilla, you could vacation in Australia for your birthday! ;)

George

« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2010, 12:36:09 PM »

HOUSE REPAIR VIBES TO DS OF DR GEORGE!

Thanks Jane!!

Matthew

« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2010, 12:36:32 PM »

TOD:

I love my Kindle!  I also love books.  But I don't have to own a hardcopy of every single book that I want to read--my bookshelves are already packed and overflowing.  The Kindle can hold thousands of books, plus anything I purchase through the Kindle bookstore is stored in my Amazon Digital Locker (or whatever it's called) and I can download them whenever I need to.  If I come across a book elsewhere that's in pdf form, I can e-mail it to Amazon and they will convert it to the Kindle format. 

The Kindle is lightweight, so reading something like that last Stephen King book was not also a weightlifting experience. And the screen is completely readable in all kinds of light.  I regularly read from my Kindle on the beach during the summer. (I do wish that it had a back light for bedtime reading, but it seems they are concerned with battery life.  I get around this by using a clip-on light.)  The unit is also durable--I've dropped it a number of times with no ill effect....

A woman that I work with had a Kindle and hers dropped from her kitchen table.  A corner hit the ground just right and cracked the screen...totally ruined.  And I guess you can't even get any kind of insurance like you can with cell phones.  She was out the $300. :P

Yeah, I dropped mine, the ink exploded rendering it useless.  Luckily, the DP knows me well and purchased an insurance plan and I was able to replace it free.  But just once.... :)

George

« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2010, 12:37:29 PM »

Evidently, my co-worker didn't know that you COULD get insurance.

td

• td
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2010, 12:48:39 PM »

Thanks for all these terrific titles.  One nice thing about using a Kindle is that you can download a sample of a title before you buy the entire book. 

You simply must get Robert Goddard's IN PALE BATTALIONS.  Trust me on this one.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up