Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT...  (Read 25617 times)

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
Re:IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT...
« Reply #270 on: February 27, 2006, 07:32:09 PM »

Ginny, Jane, and anyone else who wants to know about my sister's wedding in three weeks (eek!):

My sister and I share our father, but I was born six years before her and my parents split up shortly thereafter and my mom & I moved back to the Washington, D.C. area, where she was from.  My dad met my sister's mom (hereinafter referred to as ESM - short for Evil StepMother) and they got married and lived in Reno.  I started going to visit my dad when I was six; I would go every summer and one or two Christmases.  My sister Amanda was born the second summer I visited my Dad (I think).  They had two other kids, Justin, then Lindsay.  When I was 11 I moved in with them in Reno.  When I was 14 I moved out (making a very, very long story short) and back to my mom.  I didn't even speak to anyone in my Dad's family until I was a freshman in college.  That Christmas we reconciled and I spent the holiday with them.  I visited them a couple times a year.  My Dad and ESM got divorced my senior year in college.  My Dad got remarried to Lynn, who gets her real name because she is a wonderful person and my salvation with all the wedding planning drama.  Amanda (the bride) met Brent a few years ago and I absolutely LOVE him and I love them together.

SO, the wedding will be at my dad's country club in the suburbs of Phoenix.  It's a lovely venue facing the SanTan Mountains, on a golf course, and the reception will be held in the outdoor patio of the clubhouse.  It's a beautiful setting and it will be absolutely lovely... if a little boring by my admittedly oddball standards.  :-)  My sister is very concerned with what people think and what is traditionally "done" at weddings, and very uninterested in using any sort of creativity.  Everything will happen basically exactly the way you would expect it, and you can bet you will be hearing Pachelbel's Canon at some point in the evening.  Which is fine, and only annoying because she is so afraid of disappointing anyone or causing any waves.  I think she might be on to something, though:  there is SOOO much potential for drama, it might be a really wise idea to play it all as carefully as possible.

(Begin Theme to Days of Our Lives)

Potential Drama -- If you don't like soap opera, stop reading now:
1) Lindsay acts like she hates Amanda and doesn't want anything to do with the wedding, other than complaining about everything and being as offensive as possible around the guests (filthy mouth, very negative, abrasive personality, generally very unhappy person).  It's all a defense mechanism but disturbing nonetheless.  Sad.  Amanda is worried that Lindsay will cause a problem and ruin the wedding day.

2) ESM and I haven't spoken in something like 4 years.  I don't give up on people and I don't believe that most people are truly evil or past redemption -- but this is the exception.  This woman poisoned my life until I finally got the courage and strength to let go of the relationship.  I tried to reach out to her on a professional level when Amanda asked me to be her MOH, just to make things easier on her (Amanda).  Didn't work.   She'd rather have her poison and drama.  Amanda is afraid she'll cause a problem with me and ruin the wedding day.

3) Amanda's aunt (we'll call her Shirley) is pissed at my Dad (her brother) and is threatening to cause a scene at the wedding.  Amanda is afraid she WILL cause a scene and ruin the wedding day.

Anybody wanna come hide behind the palm trees?  :-)
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

FJL

« Reply #271 on: February 27, 2006, 07:32:20 PM »

Speaking of Stritch -

One for Mahler!

FJL

« Reply #272 on: February 27, 2006, 07:33:24 PM »

Oops, missed the page turn by 11 seconds.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #273 on: February 27, 2006, 07:34:20 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page 10 wedding drama dance!![/move]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 07:35:03 PM by Joy »

FJL

« Reply #274 on: February 27, 2006, 07:37:23 PM »

Another wacky saying:  Mr. Ed can't talk right now, he's a little hoarse.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #275 on: February 27, 2006, 07:39:57 PM »

Ginny, Jane, and anyone else who wants to know about my sister's wedding in three weeks (eek!):

My sister and I share our father, but I was born six years before her and my parents split up shortly thereafter and my mom & I moved back to the Washington, D.C. area, where she was from.  My dad met my sister's mom (hereinafter referred to as ESM - short for Evil StepMother) and they got married and lived in Reno.  I started going to visit my dad when I was six; I would go every summer and one or two Christmases.  My sister Amanda was born the second summer I visited my Dad (I think).  They had two other kids, Justin, then Lindsay.  When I was 11 I moved in with them in Reno.  When I was 14 I moved out (making a very, very long story short) and back to my mom.  I didn't even speak to anyone in my Dad's family until I was a freshman in college.  That Christmas we reconciled and I spent the holiday with them.  I visited them a couple times a year.  My Dad and ESM got divorced my senior year in college.  My Dad got remarried to Lynn, who gets her real name because she is a wonderful person and my salvation with all the wedding planning drama.  Amanda (the bride) met Brent a few years ago and I absolutely LOVE him and I love them together.

SO, the wedding will be at my dad's country club in the suburbs of Phoenix.  It's a lovely venue facing the SanTan Mountains, on a golf course, and the reception will be held in the outdoor patio of the clubhouse.  It's a beautiful setting and it will be absolutely lovely... if a little boring by my admittedly oddball standards.  :-)  My sister is very concerned with what people think and what is traditionally "done" at weddings, and very uninterested in using any sort of creativity.  Everything will happen basically exactly the way you would expect it, and you can bet you will be hearing Pachelbel's Canon at some point in the evening.  Which is fine, and only annoying because she is so afraid of disappointing anyone or causing any waves.  I think she might be on to something, though:  there is SOOO much potential for drama, it might be a really wise idea to play it all as carefully as possible.

(Begin Theme to Days of Our Lives)

Potential Drama -- If you don't like soap opera, stop reading now:
1) Lindsay acts like she hates Amanda and doesn't want anything to do with the wedding, other than complaining about everything and being as offensive as possible around the guests (filthy mouth, very negative, abrasive personality, generally very unhappy person).  It's all a defense mechanism but disturbing nonetheless.  Sad.  Amanda is worried that Lindsay will cause a problem and ruin the wedding day.

2) ESM and I haven't spoken in something like 4 years.  I don't give up on people and I don't believe that most people are truly evil or past redemption -- but this is the exception.  This woman poisoned my life until I finally got the courage and strength to let go of the relationship.  I tried to reach out to her on a professional level when Amanda asked me to be her MOH, just to make things easier on her (Amanda).  Didn't work.   She'd rather have her poison and drama.  Amanda is afraid she'll cause a problem with me and ruin the wedding day.

3) Amanda's aunt (we'll call her Shirley) is pissed at my Dad (her brother) and is threatening to cause a scene at the wedding.  Amanda is afraid she WILL cause a scene and ruin the wedding day.

Anybody wanna come hide behind the palm trees?  :-)

DR Joy, great drama but now worthy of Days at the present moment...  I hope it all works out

I will opt to be the maitre 'd
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 07:41:49 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #276 on: February 27, 2006, 07:40:59 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page 10 wedding drama dance!![/move][/size]

Just read some interesting stuff on the boards....

I see NBC has signed a deal for telenovelas on the nbc networks....

Not sure what that will mean for Days and the other show that shall remain nameless

I read that on NBCUMV

http://nbcumv.com/entertainment/release_detail.nbc/entertainment-20060227000000-inlandmarkmovenb.html
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 07:43:52 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

FJL

« Reply #277 on: February 27, 2006, 07:49:56 PM »

Wow, that's quite a family drama, Joy.  Vibes to all of you.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #278 on: February 27, 2006, 08:34:40 PM »

Joy-
I think that toast is marvelous. I saw nothing redundant. The only thing, and this is just the editor in me, is you could not say "Antoine" the second time you refer to the author. Otherwise, perfect!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #279 on: February 27, 2006, 08:35:23 PM »

I know quite a few men who had crushes on Tony Dow. He was a VERY utilitarian heartthrob.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #280 on: February 27, 2006, 08:36:32 PM »

Fife, Kolchak, McCloud...
It's too much!

Matt H.

« Reply #281 on: February 27, 2006, 08:38:33 PM »

Started the evening watching several more episodes of THE MARY TYLER MORE SHOW including a hilarious one where Ted and Loud become best friends until Ted does something boneheaded during the news instead of reading a breaking news story.

Classics!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #282 on: February 27, 2006, 08:38:40 PM »

The last time I saw Dennis Weaver was on, gosh it may have still been Johnny Carson, and he was talking about his house he lived in out in the desert which was made of recycled tires.

Recently, I did see DUEL for the first time ever.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #283 on: February 27, 2006, 08:40:03 PM »

DakotaCelt-
Did you ever see THE CURSE OF FATAL DEATH, the Dr. Who spoof with Rowan Atkinson, Joanna Lumley, Hugh Grant and Jim Broadbent as various incarnations of the Doctor, and Jonathan Pryce as The Master? Quite funny.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #284 on: February 27, 2006, 08:41:03 PM »

Watched the Howie Mandel briefcase show tonight. It was okay, but I could do it maybe once a month, tops. It seems like a stretch, entertainment-wise.

Matt H.

« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2006, 08:41:25 PM »

Couldn't resist starting prime time with DEAL OR NO DEAL, and dang if it didn't suck me in again. Such a simple premise but as the odds go up that the person has chosen a suitcase with a huge dollar figure inside and he's offered a nice sum (but substantially less) instead of what might be in the case, it gets VERY involving.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #286 on: February 27, 2006, 08:42:23 PM »

While I'm on a role, I must dish out vibes to Tomovoz's pal and to Ginny and Co. as well as Vixmom.

And a hearty thanks to Tomovoz from whom I received a fine CD in the post today!

Matt H.

« Reply #287 on: February 27, 2006, 08:43:04 PM »

At 8:30, I switched over to HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER. Interesting backstory on Barney but again, not hilarious comedy.

Great to see one of my faves, Mark Derwin, guest starring on the episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #288 on: February 27, 2006, 08:44:18 PM »

'24' was, as always, engrossing, suspense-filled entertainment. Wouldn't think of missing it. Ever.

Matt H.

« Reply #289 on: February 27, 2006, 08:45:35 PM »

MEDIUM had another off the cuff episode that I thought I had figured out. The killer was who I suspected but the motive was not at all what I was expecting.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #290 on: February 27, 2006, 08:46:29 PM »

McCloud had an interesting theme song. Was it a synthesizer, a theremin or somebody whistling?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #291 on: February 27, 2006, 08:49:11 PM »

Tony Dow was the host of my documentary for ABC - Weekday Heroes.  A wonderful chap.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #292 on: February 27, 2006, 08:49:48 PM »

HELLO LARRY also had an interesting theme song. Well, not interesting per se, but the fact that I remember it all these years later after the show's brief run proves it was at least catchy. And I can thank FJL for reviving that memory!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #293 on: February 27, 2006, 08:54:51 PM »

DakotaCelt-
Did you ever see THE CURSE OF FATAL DEATH, the Dr. Who spoof with Rowan Atkinson, Joanna Lumley, Hugh Grant and Jim Broadbent as various incarnations of the Doctor, and Jonathan Pryce as The Master? Quite funny.

I have heard about it and seen a few excerpts but I would LOVE to see the whole thing....

FJL

« Reply #294 on: February 27, 2006, 08:59:18 PM »

And the theme song went something like:

Well, Hello Larry (Hello Larry..)
You talk to people all day for a living (Hello Larry..)
But all those easy answers you are giving..
Are you really living your life that way?
Portland is a long way from L.A. (A long way)

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #295 on: February 27, 2006, 08:59:58 PM »

Thanks all for listening to my long wedding drama post... I am definitely getting frazzled!  I appreciate you all letting me vent and your comments re: the toast.  

Vibes to the sick, flooded, injured, and non-refrigerated among ye.

Good night!

FJL

« Reply #296 on: February 27, 2006, 09:01:29 PM »

Just ran across the theme song for JAMES AT 15, which later became JAMES AT 16, and which had to have been the best series to ever come out of a Godawful pilot TV-movie.  

FJL

« Reply #297 on: February 27, 2006, 09:03:54 PM »

Although I recall the pilot for THE PAPER CHASE TV series being a bit crass and crude, and that also turned out to be a very classy series.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #298 on: February 27, 2006, 09:05:18 PM »

What was that kid's name who played James? Lance something. He seemed like he could become an actor of some merit. Last I heard about him, I remember a USA Today article some years ago where he was involved in a domestic dispute where he said his "old lady" had hit him.

Thanks for the Hello Larry lyrics (Hello Larry)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #299 on: February 27, 2006, 09:06:28 PM »

I remember PAPER CHASE came on a network first and fizzled, then it was on cable that it became something better.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up