Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: EARTING  (Read 15165 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: EARTING
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2010, 04:47:04 PM »

Weren't people joking about a baseball musical yesterday?  I mean, there was a little show called DAMN YANKEES about 50 years or so ago.  ;)

There was also a flop about Jackie Robinson and BK recorded two numbers from it on UNSUNG MUSiCALS, and there was a revue, DIAMONDS, that had the great song "Hundredas of Hats."

And there was a little show about Jackie Robinson called NATIONAL PASTIME that starred a handsome actor by the name of Tom Birkeland as Branch Rickey.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2010, 04:47:41 PM »

I think I was the most relaxed I've ever been - although reading from this book is not that easy at times, especially when there are references to my darling daughter and to people going out of their way to help me.  I get a little emotional.

Cillaliz

« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2010, 04:57:40 PM »

Cilla, I'm exhausted reading about your life ;)  I hope someone buys the house and saves it.

No, I don't think it's going to happen on that one.  Too bad, but there are others we can save and I did my best to hook up $$ with the owner. There really isn't much more I can do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2010, 05:00:13 PM »

HWHC and I are becoming friends.  He still makes cat jokes, but has admitted that he is just bugging me about it.

I was just thinking last night that he hasn't been mentioned lately and wondered what happened to him. Has he met Boo and Callie? And how is Callie?

He met Boo and Callie a while back.  He hasn't been here since the first time he stopped by.  He's going through a messy divorce and has other things going on right now so we're just being friends.  If it goes somewhere it does, if it doesn't we're still friends

Callie is good.  She's sitting on the desk behind the screen purring as I type. I've learned if I just give her a few days when I get back, she gets back on track

Cillaliz

« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2010, 05:03:05 PM »

This is an amazing story - well the cat surviving is the amazing part  but WARNING - the first link is to the original article and shows the cat with a nail in it's head.  It's not bloody but could be disturbing.   The second link is to the story about the cat surviving surgery and has no photos.  I really hope they find out who is responsible for this

Cat with nail in head to have surgery
http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/article_4a878125-e5f3-5d8b-85c7-7f251149c9e0.html

Cat survives surgery to take nail from its head
http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/article_30f38a1e-03c9-5cc3-bb07-ba36ea064c5f.html

I opted to only read the second story even though I'm sure the photo isn't nearly as bad as some I see on Facebook.  I have a number of friends who are involved in animal rescue.
That's why I posted the warning.   

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2010, 05:05:06 PM »

This is an amazing story - well the cat surviving is the amazing part  but WARNING - the first link is to the original article and shows the cat with a nail in it's head.  It's not bloody but could be disturbing.   The second link is to the story about the cat surviving surgery and has no photos.  I really hope they find out who is responsible for this

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/article_4a878125-e5f3-5d8b-85c7-7f251149c9e0.html

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/article_30f38a1e-03c9-5cc3-bb07-ba36ea064c5f.html

I opted to only read the second story even though I'm sure the photo isn't nearly as bad as some I see on Facebook.  I have a number of friends who are involved in animal rescue.

I couldn't look at either one.  I get choked up reading the postings at the Humane Society.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2010, 05:06:04 PM »

Jennifer, I did enjoy Mentalist.  I also had trouble with the ending.  We didn't see the promised previews for next week & I'm wondering if it will be explained next week.

I thought you knew it was the season finale. Hence no previews for next week. You'll have to wait for next year!

I did think so until it mentioned previews, which of course there weren't any.

Jane

« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2010, 05:06:43 PM »

Jennifer, thanks for the info on MEDIUM & MENTALIST.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2010, 05:08:22 PM »

And speaking of baseball, has anyone here read Stephen King's BLOCKADE BILLY?
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2010, 05:08:43 PM »

Appreciated, not that it would have been a big deal, stomach wise. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2010, 05:09:36 PM »

Today the winds are really bad here 40-50 mph.  Paul called around 4:00 and said "My tree just blew over!!"  So I rushed over with my camera and took a bunch of photos.  It was amazing that it didn't hit the cars in the street or anyone on the sidewalk or really do too much damage. The big green stuff on the ground used to be on the tree at the right

Jane

« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2010, 05:10:53 PM »

I couldn't look at either one.  I get choked up reading the postings at the Humane Society.

You don't want to see the stories or photos out of Romania, though I admit to putting some of them on my FB wall, not the worst of the worst.  I truly admire the people who expose themselves over & over again to these horrible situations & do what they can to help the abused.

Cillaliz

« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2010, 05:11:16 PM »

It makes me upset too, but the story says the cat was up and around, recovering well, purring and at leat 5 people have offered to adopt her.

Cillaliz

« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2010, 05:17:32 PM »

HWHC lives across the street from Paul, so I did see him today.  He was looking pretty dorky in some long plaid shorts, unlike the tree guy....I could look at him all day

Cillaliz

« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2010, 05:17:59 PM »

BK Glad the reading went so well

Jane

« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2010, 05:18:58 PM »

I like to read the stories knowing there is a happy outcome.  With my facebook friends I read the stories as they happen.

Cillaliz

« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2010, 05:21:05 PM »

OK, time to find the charger for my cell phone and get some dinner....later

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2010, 05:21:40 PM »

Back from the signing, which was surprisingly well attended, about twenty-something people in all.  We sold quite a few books, I read, I answered questions and it was, for me, the best signing I've ever done.  In attendance, Cason Murphy, his girlfriend and the girlfriend's sister, my helper Ashely, PennyO, Sam Bobrick and his ever-lovin' Julie, several folks from the film music community, David Wechter, pianist/composer Rob Bowers, James McCloskey (he used to run the LACC theater department), a nightclub singer friend of Rob's, our very own Mark Wyckoff, my pal Lee Doebler and her two beautiful kids, Barbara Deutsch, Harrison White (he's going to Broadway with the Ray Charles musical, and played Dick Davis in the Nudie reading), Rebecca Johnson from The Roxy reading, Adryan Russ and her ever-lovin' Dale, and several others.  So, now that I think about it, at least twenty-five people, a terrific turnout.

No shows included dear reader Sam who, for the second year in a row, missed the signing - of course, she said she'd be there, but alas, she wasn't and no call either.  And a few others had cancelled this morning.  But I had a blast and it was great.  Cake was eaten, too.

Damn!

Does that mean you won't be sending me any cake?

:(

You can dream…or you can do.

KevinH

« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2010, 05:32:49 PM »

I'm happy the reading went so well, BK!  I'm sure those who bought your book will enjoy it as much as we all have!

Laura

« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2010, 05:58:33 PM »

Jennifer:

Jose:

Dan (the cat):

Tommy:

"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2010, 06:04:52 PM »

Thank you DR Laura :D

Laura

« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »

You're welcome, Jane.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2010, 06:07:55 PM »

Watching a motion picture and making track titles for our next release.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2010, 06:25:59 PM »

And speaking of baseball, has anyone here read Stephen King's BLOCKADE BILLY?

is it out yet? I haven't been able to go shopping yet. Liked the baseball book he wrote with Stewart O'Nan and "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon."
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2010, 06:27:02 PM »

What great kitty photos, DR Laura.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #145 on: May 22, 2010, 06:32:54 PM »

BK - congratulations on a successful book event today!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2010, 06:43:45 PM »

Oh...

Last night, I attended a concert by the Philharmonic Orchestra of the Americas at Alice Tully Hall (the recently renovated Alice Tully Hall).  The concert was presented as part of a series of events commemorating the Bicentennial of Mexico, so, consequently, the music of Mexican composers was featured on the program - with a brief detour to Argentina via Piazzolla.  My friend, Eric, was playing piano, and since he had some comps, well...

It was a very nice program, and even though a good portion of the works reflected more of the European training and influence of/on the composers, there were some moments of pure "Mexicanisms" throughout. The true highlight of the concert was Ponce's "Concierto del Sur" with Pablo Sainz-Villegas as the guitar soloist.  WOW! Truly some of the most expressive and cleanest(!) guitar playing I've ever heard. I used to play for a lot of guitar majors in school, so I know my good gee-tar playin'! ;)  In any case... I was truly impressed.  And his encore of "La Boda de Luis Alonso" was simply stunning!

-And here's a YouTube Clip of him playing that piece from an earlier appearance in NYC.

I am impressed by Pablo also!

...oh, I guess I should have say that after I watch the  video ;)

Laura

« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2010, 06:45:13 PM »

What great kitty photos, DR Laura.

Thank you. They move fast.

John G.

« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2010, 06:48:22 PM »

Find of the day: A copy of Ella Fitzgerald's "Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie" on CD for $4. Bought it because she sings "Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most," and I feel that way about any and all of the songs from "The Nervous Set," one of the many financial flopsicals that I listen to way too much.
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2010, 06:50:42 PM »

Thanks for the new kitty portraits, DR Laura. You could snap portraits like that for a living, you know.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up