Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: EARTING  (Read 15258 times)

Ginny

Re: EARTING
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2010, 01:47:54 PM »

I'm still here, DR Cillaliz!  Actually, I was away at the grocery store and talking to my mom on the phone.  Your historic preservation work sounds very worthwhile.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2010, 01:51:30 PM »

Here's my cousin Perry and his wife Jessica, proudly showing off their "Oil Spill Beach Clean-Up" certification cards.  They received a 4-hour volunteer orientation this morning in Florida.

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2010, 01:53:19 PM »

Cilla, I'm exhausted reading about your life ;)  I hope someone buys the house and saves it.

Jane

« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2010, 01:54:13 PM »

Nice photo Ginny.  Will there be stories of their work?

Ginny

« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2010, 01:59:04 PM »

DR Jane, I don't know much about this volunteer venture of Jess & Perry's.  She said, "We're in the database now," which indicates to me some kind of on-call situation.  I'll keep you posted.

Michael

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2010, 02:10:30 PM »

Good morning, all! I slept in and now I am bathed and dressed and ready for whatever fresh hell comes down the pike.

Today I have to finish a big portion of THE ROSE OF ALGIERS so I can send the edits back to the conductor, and at 3:45 I will meet Bruce Pomahac at this new Dowling Music store on West 57th. We will browse, then go for dinner, and spend the evening watching DVDs and dishing. I bought earlier in the year his Christmas gift, but it's so good I think I will give it to him today.

DR vixmom, to answer your qustion from last night about my collection going to Miami U, there were two reasons: the first is that all the recording work I did for BK, the NY State Theatre Institute, other recordings, pretty much all my work from 1982-1999 has gone to the Library of Congress, but I stopped sending them things because of various disappointments, the last being the big disaster of LIFE BEGINS AT 8:40.

So, in 2008, because of the bed bug madness in the building I live in, I needed to clean out the apartment for extermination and further prevention; I inherited my mother's packrat gene, and this apartment was interesting, like a 19th Centry curio shop, but impossible to move around much.  After my dad's death, I had decided to redo my will to eliminate the Macbeths, and I decided then to leave the theatre collection and work to the Miami University Theatre Dept, since I am an alumnus, along with some royalty payments.

I threw out tons of old magazines, like the complete runs of AFTER DARK, and SHOW MUSIC, 10 years of GRAMOPHONE and FANFARE, and the Kurt Weill Foundation Newsletter, carted a ton of books to a dealer who offered me very little but it was take it or tote the books elsewhere. I threw out tons of videocassettes as well, and whatever didn't end up in the Manhattan Mini-Storage space I rented needed to be tossed or go somewhere, Every trash collection day, I dragged down two or three huge trashbags with things for the garbage men, but I still had a ton of books and personal things that needed to be sorted. My first thought was the Miami University Theatre Dept.  I called the director of theatre, Liz Mullenix, and asked if they would like all of the theatre-related books, plus a lot of librettos and scripts, like all of Noel Coward, Brecht, Ibsen, Chekhov, a ton of English versions of authors I like like Feydeau, Anoulh, Giraudoux, etc. Liz said yes, so I started packing up everything for the theatre.

Then, she decided there was really not enough space in the theatre dept for what I was threatening to send but she did offer from the dept's petty cash to pay for half the shipment to Oxford and she told me she would look into Special Collections at the Miami U Library. And that's how I met the wonderful Janet Stuckey, who's in charge of the Special Collections, and her staff. The initial shipment was huge, around 64 cartons as I recall, and there was a lot of tsuris about the cartons sitting in my buidlings 3rd floor hallway while I was waiting for the authorization to send them. They were finally shipped to Ohio around the end of February 2008 and later in the year I sent Janet another 20 or so. I sent more last year, and I'm up to 17 cartons to ship now.

I would have loved to have the After Dark collection.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2010, 02:16:22 PM »

Weren't people joking about a baseball musical yesterday?  I mean, there was a little show called DAMN YANKEES about 50 years or so ago.  ;)

There was also a flop about Jackie Robinson and BK recorded two numbers from it on UNSUNG MUSiCALS, and there was a revue, DIAMONDS, that had the great song "Hundredas of Hats."

And there is also IN THE CARDS a song sung by Roger Bart on Jamie DeRoy and Friends Vol. 2. It's about collecting Baseball Cards
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2010, 02:35:21 PM »

I just had a nice long conversation with DR Penny O.  We chatted while she was stuck in traffic & hung up when she finally reached her destination, Mystery and Imagination Books in Glendale. 

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2010, 02:35:40 PM »

I look forward to the link DR CILLA LIZ

Interesting info DR GINNY - did they also get a t-shirt that says:

BP MESSED UP THE GULF AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS T-SHIRT!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2010, 02:36:08 PM »

It's the last half hour at World of Wisdom today - and I am hoping it stays QUIET.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2010, 02:38:54 PM »

Vibes for the book signing! HOpe it went well! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2010, 02:39:28 PM »

The temperatures are going to be really hot here this week. With humidity it supposed to be like 90 every day.

Jennifer

« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2010, 02:41:52 PM »

I just watched the funniest thing. The guys from LOST were on Jimmy Kimmel last night.  I haven't watched much of it yet. But they started with jimmy kimmel going through their original pitch to the network.

I was killing myself laughing. I don't know if the interview is on abc.com or youtube yet. But basically they promised that each episode would be self-contained and that you wouldn't need to watch the episode before to be able to follow each episode.

But the way Jimmy Kimmel explained it was hilariouis.

Jennifer

« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2010, 02:42:52 PM »

Now I finally go and watch MEDIUM. I hope it was a good finale!

Jane

« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2010, 02:57:28 PM »

Jennifer, I did enjoy Mentalist.  I also had trouble with the ending.  We didn't see the promised previews for next week & I'm wondering if it will be explained next week.

Laura

« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2010, 02:58:54 PM »

DR Laura I think it is time for new kitten photos.

I tried to do a video the other day but ran out of space on the memory card.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2010, 03:02:41 PM »

HWHC and I are becoming friends.  He still makes cat jokes, but has admitted that he is just bugging me about it.

I was just thinking last night that he hasn't been mentioned lately and wondered what happened to him. Has he met Boo and Callie? And how is Callie?

Ginny

« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2010, 03:02:45 PM »

...Interesting info DR GINNY - did they also get a t-shirt that says:

BP MESSED UP THE GULF AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS T-SHIRT!

I don't think so, DR JRand, but Jessica did get a 32 oz. pina colada after the orientation.

Jane

« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2010, 03:05:51 PM »

;D

Jane

« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2010, 03:10:21 PM »

In the small world category...

Keith is part of a genealogy DNA group.  Almost every day he receives email from someone with a DNA "match" of some sort.  This morning he received an email from someone who also included his facebook link.  When I checked him out I found we had 17 FB friends in common, all with Bernese Mountain Dogs.  Of course I wrote him & yes, he does have a Bernese Mountain Dog.  He comes from DR Laura's neck of the woods, maybe the world will get smaller & she will meet them (the guy & his dog named Stella. ;)

Laura

« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2010, 03:14:54 PM »

Oh my gosh! You know the guy with Stella!!???!!!???

Jane

« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2010, 03:16:31 PM »

ROTFLOL! :)

Jane

« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2010, 03:29:25 PM »

This is an amazing story - well the cat surviving is the amazing part  but WARNING - the first link is to the original article and shows the cat with a nail in it's head.  It's not bloody but could be disturbing.   The second link is to the story about the cat surviving surgery and has no photos.  I really hope they find out who is responsible for this

Cat with nail in head to have surgery
http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/article_4a878125-e5f3-5d8b-85c7-7f251149c9e0.html

Cat survives surgery to take nail from its head
http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/article_30f38a1e-03c9-5cc3-bb07-ba36ea064c5f.html

I opted to only read the second story even though I'm sure the photo isn't nearly as bad as some I see on Facebook.  I have a number of friends who are involved in animal rescue.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2010, 04:08:33 PM »

On baseball songs: There's also the part of "One Hundred Easy Ways" from "Wonderful Town," but the I think the point of yesterday's conversation was about Jews and Baseball. Still, are there any more baseball songs out there. Obviously something from "Babe," but I haven't heard the whole score, only the song Emily Skinner recorded, "A Growing Boy."

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2010, 04:14:15 PM »

BK-

Just Viewed JANE EYRE(TV Adaptation) with George C. Scott and Susannah York- Wonderful Score by JOHN WILLIAMS(CD has been out of print for a long time) Would You Consider releasing this score? One Of Williams Best,Methinks!
I loved that version of the story.

When I worked in Florida, we had some great times at the office. One day, I organized a musical writing seminar for all the folks who loved "Jane Eyre." (A really bad version was playing at the Asolo that year and it was not the one that played Broadway a year or so later.) We got some great songs, including the grand finale: "Love Is Blind -- And So Are You," in which Jane sings to blind Mr. Rochester about how beautiful she's become but he can't appreciate it. I did a choral piece while the estate burned.

We had a new publisher at the time, and he didn't know what was going on, but he was sure shocked when he looked over one woman's shooulder and read the first line of her song, "There's a Dead Girl in My Bed."

I think I still have those lyrics someplace. I'm sure I do. I fit in with the packrat club that has shared a few stories here today. I even have the stock of a now-defunct mystery bookstore. Ugh.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2010, 04:40:53 PM »

Back from the signing, which was surprisingly well attended, about twenty-something people in all.  We sold quite a few books, I read, I answered questions and it was, for me, the best signing I've ever done.  In attendance, Cason Murphy, his girlfriend and the girlfriend's sister, my helper Ashely, PennyO, Sam Bobrick and his ever-lovin' Julie, several folks from the film music community, David Wechter, pianist/composer Rob Bowers, James McCloskey (he used to run the LACC theater department), a nightclub singer friend of Rob's, our very own Mark Wyckoff, my pal Lee Doebler and her two beautiful kids, Barbara Deutsch, Harrison White (he's going to Broadway with the Ray Charles musical, and played Dick Davis in the Nudie reading), Rebecca Johnson from The Roxy reading, Adryan Russ and her ever-lovin' Dale, and several others.  So, now that I think about it, at least twenty-five people, a terrific turnout.

No shows included dear reader Sam who, for the second year in a row, missed the signing - of course, she said she'd be there, but alas, she wasn't and no call either.  And a few others had cancelled this morning.  But I had a blast and it was great.  Cake was eaten, too.

Jennifer

« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2010, 04:42:57 PM »

Jennifer, I did enjoy Mentalist.  I also had trouble with the ending.  We didn't see the promised previews for next week & I'm wondering if it will be explained next week.

I thought you knew it was the season finale. Hence no previews for next week. You'll have to wait for next year!

John G.

« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2010, 04:44:10 PM »

Great news about the signing. Glad to hear it was fun.
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2010, 04:44:15 PM »

Weren't people joking about a baseball musical yesterday?  I mean, there was a little show called DAMN YANKEES about 50 years or so ago.  ;)

And there was a little show called DAMN YANKEES last summer.   ;)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2010, 04:46:47 PM »

And yes last night was MEDIUM's season finale.  Interesting, because there were rumors that they were going to be cancelled (the show is not cancelled). But you could see that the writers wrote last night's show as if it could be the series finale.

It was sort of odd. And it could have worked for a series finale. But i'm glad it's not the end.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up