Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: MY NOCTURNAL WANDERINGS  (Read 35325 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:MY NOCTURNAL WANDERINGS
« Reply #150 on: September 25, 2007, 08:42:28 AM »

And the word of the day is: CLERISY!
Shannon discovered that hanging out with the high school CLERISY made her appear smarter than she really was, but did nothing to clear up her acne the way she had hoped.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2007, 08:43:04 AM »

A bigger photo of The Paramount. I remember seeing SHENDANDOAH there and crying my eyes out, especially sisnce we were living where it all took place.

I also remember seeing Lawrence of Arabia with my girlfriend, and during intermission, I had the bright idea of putting sand from the cigarette containers in the restroom into our shoes and then sitting down in the lobby and dumping sand out of our shoes at intermission.

Now I'm appalled at this mild act of vandalism. I'm really not that sort of person!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #152 on: September 25, 2007, 08:43:11 AM »

THAT starts us on page six?  I ain't dancin'!   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

FJL

« Reply #153 on: September 25, 2007, 08:44:10 AM »

Is postingest pronounced "posting-guest" or "post-in-jest"

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2007, 08:46:16 AM »

It just means I don't have a life.    :P

Yes, you do! It's with US!!

Don't change a post for me,
Our web host would agree,
Stay little singdingdaw, stay!
Each little post makes my day!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #155 on: September 25, 2007, 08:48:24 AM »

There were two large movie theatres in Minneapolis but I never considered them "palaces" the way Radio City Music Hall is a "palace" and some of the other grand sites like the Roxy and The Fox. When I saw movies in the State and the Orpheum they were rather ordinary. I know now that since I've left Mpls both theatres have been renovated and returned (somewhat) to their former glory. Both theatres were stops in the 40s, 50s and early 60s for Broadway road shows. By the time I began seeing theatre Minneapolis had fallen off the road tour circuit but then in the mid-70s it seems, things began to change and shows began to filter back to the city. I don't remember seeing great movies in great movies palaces. I saw them in ordinary or nice places but no palaces for this poor, deprived child  :'(

Gee Ben, as a kid from a little town near the Iowa/Minnesota border, just getting to GO to Minneapolis was like going to the Emerald City, and we usually only went to the Southdale Mall, lol.  

Ben

« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2007, 08:52:09 AM »

Gee Ben, as a kid from a little town near the Iowa/Minnesota border, just getting to GO to Minneapolis was like going to the Emerald City, and we usually only went to the Southdale Mall, lol.  

As Kander and Ebb (or somebody) said

The grass is always greener  :D

That's how I looked on New York, as the Emerald City, and now I'm here and where is the Wizard???

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2007, 09:02:22 AM »

The Carolina Theater in Greenville SC was "magic central" for me during my teen years.  It's where I saw most of the films I still love today.

It was built in 1925 and had a seating capacity of 1,400.  Many vaudeville acts played there until vaudeville died (hush, Rose!) and it converted to movie palace.  It was closed/demolished in the early 1970s.  It had the widest CinemaScope screen I ever saw and was the largest theater in town.

Here is a photo of it in the 1940s:
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #158 on: September 25, 2007, 09:04:28 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam, you have my condolences.  I pre-ordered from Amazon just several weeks ago.  Mine is scheduled for delivery Thursday, but I have Amazon Prime.

It is frustrating, their inconsistency.  You may not feel it's worth it, cost-wise,  to upgrade to Prime, but I have found it much more consistent and very satisfactory.

I've had Amazon Prime for three years.  That's the whole crux of my turmoil.  

I believe the trouble is that I ordered something else at the same time....something I got within days.  But the Mickey-Judy box remains attached to that completed order.

Amazon has difficulty, apparently, maintaining tracking on pre-orders attached to allready-filled orders.

I live, I experience, and I learn.

Sigh.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 09:09:47 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #159 on: September 25, 2007, 09:08:36 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And watching the Noon news... Hmm... Security officers asleep - on tape! - at nuclear power plant... :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2007, 09:10:38 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And watching the Noon news... Hmm... Security officers asleep - on tape! - at nuclear power plant... :-\

Well good.  That means the alarms haven't been activated by prowlers or other trouble.

;D

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2007, 09:18:59 AM »

Wow!  All the great things to see, and we never had to leave our computer screens.

LA - San Fernando Valley - Atlanta - NYC - Australia....whew!

Didn't have to pack a bag either.

or get a passport... fight the crowds at the airport and bad cofffee
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #162 on: September 25, 2007, 09:19:48 AM »

No palaces where I grew up either. The closest theatre  of any sort was 10 miles awa
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2007, 09:21:28 AM »

Vibes to the cast of THE BRAIN!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2007, 09:22:21 AM »

I didn't go to no stinkin' movie palaces while I was growin' up. ;)

Instead, I have the Byrd Theare in Richmond, VA.  A beautiful theatre with some "traditionally" uncomfortable seats.  It always seems to be on the verge of being bought by Someone, and then torn down, but, thankfully, there's enough local interest and support to keep The Byrd, The Byrd.  -And they still have an organ player on the weekends too before the feature film.  It's a second run house, so the top ticket price is $1.99.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2007, 09:22:39 AM »

Well good.  That means the alarms haven't been activated by prowlers or other trouble.

;D

Now that's looking at the glass half-full, you must be having a good day today ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2007, 09:24:14 AM »

~~~~~BROKEN LEGS AND GOOD SOUNDBOARD VIBES TO THE BRAIN~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2007, 09:24:38 AM »

I did not get a chance to watch HEROES yet. I am looking forward to it though.

I did watch DWTS though. Interesting women. Not sure i really liked anyone. Did not know a couple of them (sabrina the cheetah girl and the model). There are others i don't really think have the potential to win (marie osmond, jennie garth). I liked jane seymour and although i don't think she will win, i think she has potential.

It should be interesting to see the men.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2007, 09:24:50 AM »

The Empire in Grand Forks and the Fargo Theatre in Fargo have been restored but they are quite small theatres and they were built in the 20s and early 30s.

They have been restored.

I would not call it a palace but I do like the State Theatre in downtown Mpls that has been restored.

singdaw

« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2007, 09:25:40 AM »

Thanks for that NPR link, DR Cillaliz.  Very interesting & moving story!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2007, 09:26:44 AM »

Hmm... Currently, no Amtrak service along the Northeast Corridor due to a traffic accident in Philadelphia.  I hope it's cleared up in time for DR Jeanne's journey tomorrow.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2007, 09:28:50 AM »

Now that's looking at the glass half-full, you must be having a good day today ;)

;D

singdaw

« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2007, 09:30:51 AM »

***SAFE & EASY TRAVEL VIBES***
for DR MusicGuy!

Jennifer

« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2007, 09:31:24 AM »

Tonight i will record BOSTON LEGAL and DANCING WITH THE STARS (though i'll probably start watching at around 8:30pm).  I will also record GOSSIP GIRL and i think i will try REAPER.

I did record last night's JOURNEYMAN but not CHUCK.  IF they repeat the first show i may try it. But I have DANCING WITH THE STARS on already at that time.

singdaw

« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2007, 09:31:33 AM »

Now that's looking at the glass half-full, you must be having a good day today

He took his meds today, he did.    ;)

Jennifer

« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2007, 09:32:25 AM »

Btw for any BIG BROTHER fans the last 2 housecalls are quite interesting. The 2nd to last show (the wed) has dani/dick. And the last show has zach/eric.

You can go to www.cbs.com/innertube and click on big brother (housecalls is one of the choices).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 09:32:53 AM by Jennifer »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2007, 09:33:22 AM »

Tomovoz your gardens are beautiful.

DR Jason….CONGRATULATIONS!!!  You look good with long hair, have you thought about letting yours grow out a little bit longer?

Thanks for the wonderful walking tour photos.

Edi, I like your office, especially the lamp sitting on the desk.  The kitties are all beautiful & look very content.

More photos from Adriana… :D

Jennifer

« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2007, 09:33:27 AM »

Good vibes for the BRAIN today. ~~~~~~~~~~~

Cillaliz

« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2007, 09:34:44 AM »

Thanks for that NPR link, DR Cillaliz.  Very interesting & moving story!

You're welcome, DR Singdaw. I was one of the 1000+ people at the world premiere of the doc and exhibit of the photos etc.  The doc was moving but actually quite funny at times. It's really the story of the men finding each other 50 years later and the friendships that formed with Vernon and the survivor's families as a result of the photos.  

There is one scene were a photo is passed around and everyone is absolutely sure they can identify someone in a photo, of course they all disagree on who it is, but they are all sure, that sort of thing.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2007, 09:36:19 AM »

POSITIVE BRAIN VIBES ~~~~~~~~~
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Up