Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: BREATHLESS  (Read 25802 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: BREATHLESS
« Reply #270 on: December 06, 2008, 08:59:52 PM »

Late night surf over and now I think I'll head down to bed.

Good night!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #271 on: December 06, 2008, 09:00:05 PM »

Page Ten Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #272 on: December 06, 2008, 09:00:20 PM »

And now I'm REALLY going!

;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #273 on: December 06, 2008, 09:04:49 PM »

Good Evening!

It's snowing in New York City!!!!!!!!!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #274 on: December 06, 2008, 09:05:28 PM »

After the show, Chris and I walked out to find it snowing as we walked over to Radio City to see the tree; it's quite glorious this year. Now I'm home and it's time for my meds.

DR tomovoz, the late great Miss Bronhill never sang a bad note in her entire career, I do believe. Lordy, she was a wonder!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Healthy vibes to DR TCB and All In Need! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #275 on: December 06, 2008, 09:06:36 PM »

~~~~~MRSA-BE-GONE VIBES TO DR TCB~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #276 on: December 06, 2008, 09:07:55 PM »

~~~~~SICK-BE-GONE VIBES TO DR ANN AND HER DBB TOBY~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #277 on: December 06, 2008, 09:09:53 PM »

What kind of hardware company [Hewlett Packard] sells you a printer without the USB cable in the box to enable you to connect it to your computer and...oh, I don't know...actually USE it??   >:(

DR singdaw - Alas, that's standard procedure for almost all companies. :-\  -I remember when I was looking for a new printer a few years ago, and starting reading the customer reviews on Amazon.com.  The number one complaint across the board was the lack of a USB cable in the box.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #278 on: December 06, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »

Cilla - Well, the lovely 2 a.m. email was sent from California at 11 p.m., so it was nice to have read it sooner rather than later. :)

FJL

« Reply #279 on: December 06, 2008, 09:14:22 PM »

Thanks to Tomovoz from us as well for the lovely calendar!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #280 on: December 06, 2008, 09:15:40 PM »

Greetings all,

It's been a very busy and tiring week. I slept until 10am this morning, something I rarely do. Now I must eat breakfast and attend to many errands, including seeing Milk later in the day at Chelsea Cinemas (where dreams come true).

Good Morning, DR Ben - What showing of "Milk" are you going to?  I was planning on heading down there to see it too later today.  We could "double".  Well, "single and a half".  ;)

We are seeing the 5:30 show. I'm seeing it with friends since Anthony doesn't want to see the movie. Not that he's anti-Milk or anything but he has little interest in politics and he wants to spend the time working on his Christmas card list. If you decide to wait until 5:30 I'll scan the theatre when we arrive and look for you.

I, on the other hand, remember where I was when I saw the headline in the Minneapolis Star (it was the evening paper before it merged with the Minneapolis Tribune to become the Star-Tribune) in November of 1978. I was doing a show in Saint Paul at the time (we were in rehearsal) and I had gotten off work and was going to go to Brothers Cafeteria for dinner before taking the bus to rehearsal. I stopped into Shinders to buy the paper to read over dinner and there it was, the news that Milk had been shot dead along with Mayor Moscone.

I also know Cleve Jones from my work with the NAMES Project so I expect this movie will bring up many memories.

Sorry, our paths did not cress DR Ben today. I ended up meeting some friends for dinner in Times Square and then went to the 7:05 showing at the AMC 25...

I believe I started crying as soon as the movie started.  I had been hearing nothing but praise for Sean Penn's portrayal - basically, immersion - of Harvey Milk, and I would have to agree with all the superlatives.  And Van Sant's blending of existing footage from the time with his own images is practically seamless, and really tells the story.  I found myself genuinely and deeply moved at many points during the movie.  And the final images, well... I just had to stay in my seat until the credits finished.  I needed the time...

...And then when I stepped out of the theatre and saw that it was snowing outside, well... I cried again.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #281 on: December 06, 2008, 09:18:21 PM »

DR vixmom - I'm glad that your procedures went well after all that waiting and waiting.  -And that's very nice that your parents were there too.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #282 on: December 06, 2008, 09:19:20 PM »

This morning I received an absolutely beautiful arrangement of flowers signed, "from all my children".  That is soooo sweet.  In such a short time I'm going from two children to four-kind of fun.

And no labor pains either!  :D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #283 on: December 06, 2008, 09:20:18 PM »

According to Facebook, DR Ann is now officially sick. 

Physically, or mentally?

Isn't that what people normally about you, DR singdaw?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #284 on: December 06, 2008, 09:20:51 PM »

I am still in my vintage lounging pajamas and (comfy and quite striking) 1940s bathrobe.

And where was your camera?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #285 on: December 06, 2008, 09:25:50 PM »

I'm back from DOSTANA, a sex farce about as long as IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD and about half as funny. It could have lost an hour and I would have been happier since the screenplay is filled with needless subplots - such as the leading lady inviting her gay boss to meet her gay roommates - that go nowhere. I also suspect GLAAD will be unhappy with its stereotypes of all gay men as nelly screamers, although the film is very positive about being gay, but it's also a bit smarmy, reminding me of the worst moments of CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC. Also, for a sex comedy with a lot of near nudity, with lots of shots of boobs and male and female derrieres, it sure avoids any male crotch shots. For all the near nudity of John Abraham and his awesome body, he's either photographed from the back or from the waist up; he could be neuter.

The film's about two Indian men in Miami FL who pretend to be a gay couple to move into an apartment with a beautiful, single 27 year-old Indian woman. For a while I thought the film could be called HAROLD AND KUMAR LIKE IT HOT or SOME LIKE IT BOLLYWOOD and the one man would turn out to be actually gay, but the film kind of went in all directions and ended rather unsatisfactorily, to my thinking. There are subplots about a gay boss, not telling your mother you're gay, filing for US residency as a gay couple and the nelly queen in the government who's investigating the claim, and many musical numbers. There was a funny musical number involving Sam's mother and her disappointment to learn her son is gay, but I suspect that the first 10 minutes of watching Mr Abraham in his speedos and briefs will send DR MBarnum into a coma and he will never see the other 140 minutes of the film.

Well... I didn't see "Dostana", but I did see this at MoMA earlier this afternoon:

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #286 on: December 06, 2008, 09:26:52 PM »

And I also saw this at MoMA:

*This is especially for DR Ginny. :)

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #287 on: December 06, 2008, 09:32:34 PM »

I am still in my vintage lounging pajamas and (comfy and quite striking) 1940s bathrobe.

What planet are you from?

What planet?  I've always thought more along the lines of: Which cabbage patch?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #288 on: December 06, 2008, 09:35:23 PM »

Not really.  The one thing I was trying to do, which was get him to come out here to do one of his college appearances that he's been doing isn't going to happen, because the colleges that have booked him apparently have all the money in the world to pay him and other names.  I mean, a LOT of dough.  I'd already gotten funding to get him out here and pay him what I thought was a pretty good fee, but apparently it's not even in the same country as what these people are paying (he told me I would be appalled - even he is appalled) - which, to my mind, is a little reprehensible, what with the economy and the school systems in the state they are.  But I tried and he was very sweet about it all.

It seems that Stephen Sondheim and Frank Rich come as a pair lately.  Well, ever since they appeared during the Sondheim Celebration at the Kennedy Center.  -I just wonder how many truly "new" questions Frank Rich could have for Stephen Sondheim after all of these years?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #289 on: December 06, 2008, 09:36:36 PM »

I think DR MBARNUM once linked to a site that showed the 'influences' of other films on various Bollywood movies.

But DISCO Dancer is still my favorite recent viewing.....and just in case you forgot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYzo1NebtDk

Ummm.. I haven't forgotten that... ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #290 on: December 06, 2008, 09:40:02 PM »

Shockingly my niece begged to go sit on santa. My sister did not want her to do it since her husband was not there (he didn't want to go).

But she was dragging me. So i suggested we just have her go meet santa and see if she would even sit near him. And then if they wanted to take a pic, they go as a family together.

She did go see santa. And i was shocked. She sat there and told him what she wanted. And then he told her he loved her. And she hugged him and told him she loved him. I really would not have believed that one.

My sis decided to get the pic.

My brother, Mike, is really hoping that his youngest daughter - and my god-daughter - won't hit(!) Santa this year during the kiddie portrait sitting.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #291 on: December 06, 2008, 09:40:03 PM »

Good Evening!

It's snowing in New York City!!!!!!!!!!!

Fickle maybe...handsome, yes!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #292 on: December 06, 2008, 09:41:06 PM »

OY!  As if I hadn't done enough crying over the past few weeks...  -Good cries, so...

The STORY: BWW TV: When Lin-Manuel Met Nicholas 'IN THE HEIGHTS'*
*Written in part by our very own DR CraigBrockman, son of our very own DR ArnoldMBrockman.

The VIDEO: IN THE HEIGHTS... DREAMS COME TRUE*
The video features the finale of the show, so consider this a partial spoiler.  But it's still worth watching, regardless.

Thanks Jose, that made me cry. What a totally cool thing for them to do for him

You're very welcome, DR Cillaliz.  -And that kid really is good!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #293 on: December 06, 2008, 09:41:23 PM »

Like elmore, I, too, went into White Christmas to enjoy it.  I wish I had.  I thought the book was terrible, but that's what makes horse racing.  And I also thought the cast was sub-par save for Bogardus, but that's what makes horse racing.  But frankly, if elmore liked Jeffrey Denman I simply throw up my hands (no mean feat - I mean, have you ever thrown up your hands - dinner, yes, but hands?) because the guy is so obviously charmless and personalityless. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #294 on: December 06, 2008, 09:41:41 PM »

Me? Fickle?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #295 on: December 06, 2008, 09:41:46 PM »

I saw Miss Beverly Garland about three years ago - she looked great and was sharp as a tack.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #296 on: December 06, 2008, 09:42:06 PM »

Finished with my viewing - think I'll take a nice hot shower and then listen to more CDs.

MBarnum

« Reply #297 on: December 06, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »

Finished C.I.D 909. Now debating on watching another movie or going grocery shopping at the all night market. Bosco has no pig ears or greenies, and he has not been a happy camper about it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #298 on: December 06, 2008, 09:47:57 PM »

DR MBarnum - I don't believe refusing to see not seeing "Dostana" actually makes me "fickle".  If anything, it makes me "prescient".

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #299 on: December 06, 2008, 09:50:31 PM »

And in other entertainment-related news, Bettie Page is said to be critically ill after suffering a heart attack.

The NBC affiliate here in NYC ran that story last night.  Unfortunately, the accompanying footage was taken from YouTube... ???
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up