Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH  (Read 35713 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2006, 02:17:31 PM »

If there are singers that will shock us tonight by getting voted off, I think it may very well be Elliott and/or Katharine. As I mentioned, neither of their lines were busy the last two nights at all when I called.

I'd really be interested to learn whether they get more phone calls or more text messages.

I text-messaged about 25 votes for Elliot last night!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2006, 02:18:38 PM »

Page 7....and....don't know if I wanna dance....or SING!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: March 09, 2006, 02:20:25 PM »

Larry, I'm playing the audio right now for the commercial. It's very funny! There is no video to go along is there? I don't need any video just wondering if I'm missing more.

No, DR Ben!  Only the audio.

DRvixmom, to answer your Babes In Toyland question:  I first got involved with the show when the Houston Grand Opera hired me in 1989 to do a new musical adaptation for a holiday piece they hoped (and later abandoned faith in) would become an opera house equivalent of NUTCRACKER.  At that point I went to the Library of Congress and looked at everything in the Victor Herbert Collection, which is enormous.

After a dismal experience in Houston, which opened, and never performed the piece again after 1991, Babes amidst too much infighting and too little faith in the piece.  Losing a Great Performances broadcast because PBS waffled too long before saying yes was the coup de grace.

Several years later, I proposed the piece to John McGlinn, who looked into it, became interested in Herbert's music, and conducted a nearly complete concert performance with the St Paul Chamber Orchestra.

In 2001, the Packard Humanities Institute began an Americn Music Theatre project, which employed me and the very first thing we recorded was every piece of extant music (at that time) for ther show.  We're still waiting to release the discs.  The project was to include new editions of the Kern and Herbert shows we recorded, and I'm finishing up the work to publish a new edition of the show.  I love what I do, and I believe I do it quite well.

I'm back from TRISTRAM SHANDY, which is quite wonderful, bawdy, and outrageously funny and intelligent.  In the Sterne novel (?), which is the most unique book I've ever encountered, Uncle toby's favorite song is "Luliburlero."  In one of the film's scenes, Uncle Toby is whistling the song, which was a nice throwaway bit.  Lots of other funny bits are blithely tossed off, like the discussion of Al Pacino's MERCHANT OF VENICE.  The cast is wonderful:  Steve Coogan, Rob Brydon, Gillian Anderson, Roger Allam, Kieran O'Brien, Stephen Fry, and Jeremy Northam as the film's director Michael.  I recommend it highly.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: March 09, 2006, 02:27:33 PM »

Ron... I am sitting here salivating for your meatloaf!!!

A majority of one!  That's the title of my new novel.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #184 on: March 09, 2006, 02:28:52 PM »

I just read the very mixed to negative review of THE MOST HAPPY FELLA with Paul Sorvino. The VARIETY reviewer didn't much think Mr. Sorvino was up to the task, but did like the actress playing Cleo.

He also thought the direction was listless and the dancing generic

According to the review, two songs dropped from the original Broadway version have been reinstated.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #185 on: March 09, 2006, 02:30:37 PM »

I text-messaged about 25 votes for Elliot last night!

And I telephoned in at least that many and maybe more.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: March 09, 2006, 02:32:09 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~VIBES TO DR JOSE'S COUSIN RICHARD!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/move]

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2006, 02:34:07 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~AND MORE VIBES FOR RICHARD!!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/move]

Tomovoz

« Reply #188 on: March 09, 2006, 02:34:43 PM »

For you Larry.. a post.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #189 on: March 09, 2006, 02:35:28 PM »

Supportive OZ vibes for DR Jose's cousin.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: March 09, 2006, 02:36:18 PM »

According to the review, two songs dropped from the original Broadway version have been reinstated.

You should have asked me.  I thought I mentioned that I had pulled the materials at the Loesser Office for City Opera over a month ago.

Maybe I didn't.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: March 09, 2006, 02:36:54 PM »

For you Larry.. a post.
Awwwww! Thank you.

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: March 09, 2006, 02:38:10 PM »

You should have asked me.  I thought I mentioned that I had pulled the materials at the Loesser Office for City Opera over a month ago.

Maybe I didn't.

Come to think of it, maybe you did mention it. Seems like you did mention Jo Loesser in a post as well. I assume you had to clear this through her.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #193 on: March 09, 2006, 02:38:27 PM »

In other news...

I just booked six days of work over the next few weeks which all just happened to coordinate beautifully with my Lestat schedule.  When it rains it pours.  And the extra bit of financial compensation will be quite welcome after the past couple of weeks of being "between gigs".

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #194 on: March 09, 2006, 02:40:49 PM »

Well, off for household chores and to finish HARRY POTTER before IDOL results show.

Bo Bice is making a return appearance tonight. Will be interested to see him after all of the health issues he's had over the past few months.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2006, 02:43:45 PM »

Oh, and April 8 is good for me too in regards to Lunch with Panni.  During previews, our dark day will be Sundays.  -Then we switch to the regular Tuesday-Sunday schedule after Opening.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #196 on: March 09, 2006, 02:50:03 PM »

TOTD:
I too have never really liked the scores for "Peter Pan".
"J C Superstar" is way down on my list  too.

Of the scores for flop musicals I would concur with most of those mentioned.  "Merrily" and "Overtures" are wonderful.  I'm also fond of the scores for "The Good Old Bad Old Days, "Gone With The Wind" and "The Good Companions".

IMHO "Carousel" is possibly the most beautiful score written for a musical.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: March 09, 2006, 02:52:30 PM »

Come to think of it, maybe you did mention it. Seems like you did mention Jo Loesser in a post as well. I assume you had to clear this through her.

She's the one that needed me to come in and pull the materials for City Opera.  This show's been my bailiwick in the Loesser office since the 1997 complete recording, with many cut numbers in the Appendix, for Jay Records.  And I went back and checked my post; I didn't mention what I did on Jan. 30 at the Loesser office.  I only remember the date since it was exactly one week after the recording of the Styne song for PS Classics.  In my advancing senility, I need signposts.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: March 09, 2006, 02:54:41 PM »

Oh, and April 8 is good for me too in regards to Lunch with Panni.  During previews, our dark day will be Sundays.  -Then we switch to the regular Tuesday-Sunday schedule after Opening.

April 9!! She arrives the evening of April 8, and she wants to keep Sunday open for a bit until she plans her schedule for her commitments.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: March 09, 2006, 02:57:36 PM »

IMHO "Carousel" is possibly the most beautiful score written for a musical.

It's high on my list as well!  

I could be wrong, but I suspect PETER PAN counts as a flop; it closed soon after the NBC broadcast, I believe.  This is all DR Matt H's bailiwick, not mine, but I doubt it paid itself off as a theatre run.  NBC may have helped it clear the books.

MBarnum

« Reply #200 on: March 09, 2006, 03:03:58 PM »

DR MBARNUM do you have any revelations or interesting bits in the Diana Darrin interview that you care to share with us?

Hmmmm....she said that her starring role in the 1961 western THE BROKEN LAND was likely the only time she would have billing above Jack Nicholson (the film was one of his early roles).

She adored Shemp Howard and the other Stooges that she worked with, and she had a 10 year affair with Carbine Williams who was the one who brought her out to California from the East Coast.

MBarnum

« Reply #201 on: March 09, 2006, 03:07:44 PM »

And just what did the materials do to deserve such a pulling? That is what I would like to know.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: March 09, 2006, 03:12:14 PM »

And just what did the materials do to deserve such a pulling? That is what I would like to know.

You are soooo banished to the fire escape.  I will pull your ears.

MBarnum

« Reply #203 on: March 09, 2006, 03:12:48 PM »

Elmoore3003, everytime you mention TRISTRAM SHANDY it makes me think of Perry Mason and Allison Hayes.

Only, JRand55 will know why.

Michael

« Reply #204 on: March 09, 2006, 03:15:08 PM »

Some recent news headlines

COMMENTARY
The fiction in Kimmel's lawsuit settlement
By Peter Dobrin
Inquirer Music Critic

Kimmel reaches a
By Peter DobrinInquirer
Culture Writer
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: March 09, 2006, 03:16:03 PM »

Back from class, lunch, and a plethora of errands, and have completed the annoying business of providing the Kritzerland royalty statement info to the person who'll be preparing that stuff, and also doing the new Kritzerland press release.  Preorders for our two new albums should be up and running this weekend.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #206 on: March 09, 2006, 03:33:12 PM »

A majority of one!  That's the title of my new novel.

You're just jealous.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: March 09, 2006, 03:41:36 PM »

You're just jealous.

You see right through me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #208 on: March 09, 2006, 03:45:33 PM »

And the word of the day is: ENCAPSULATE!

If we are talking about the Ides of March, shouldn't today's word be Caesarean?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #209 on: March 09, 2006, 03:49:16 PM »

In other news...

I believe I finally know what a pulled groin muscle feels like.  And I told him that it felt fine to me.

<ba-doom chick>

However...  I believe that some of the compensating I was doing due the callous on my right foot has caused me to strain some other muscles.  I'm still mobile, but I'm aching where I've not ached before.  :)

Oh, now, I bet you have!
[/i]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Up