Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SWEDISH FISH  (Read 20828 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SWEDISH FISH
« on: May 22, 2005, 10:07:59 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know all about the Swedish Fish and the Mexican Cows and now it is time for you to post until the Mexican Cows come home, which will be as soon as they leave south of the border.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 09:22:04 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SWEDISH FISH
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 10:09:25 PM »

And the word of the day is: FECUNDITY!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 10:23:10 PM »

Good Morning!

Dishes washed.  -And, thankfully, I did not break the skin on my right thumb when I was scrubbing some crud off a steak knife a little too zealously.  I was using a scrubber-sponge, but somehow "slipped".  So now I have some "grooves" in my thumb from the teeth of the knife.  Whew!  Close call!

*And what have I learned from all of this:  If you have a dishwasher, use it!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 10:24:49 PM »

Ah, FECUNDITY!

-Ah, reminds me of that marriage vows from Maltby & Shire's Closer Than Ever that uses the word "fecund".   I think it was the first - and only - time I've heard that word used in a song.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 10:26:25 PM »

DR MBarnum - See!!!!  If you had just saved up your pennies instead of buying Bollywood and Japanese Musical DVDs, and an all-region DVD player, etc., etc.,etc....You, too, could have run into Mr. Paul Haber in NYC this weekend!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 10:36:54 PM »

As for "weird" snacks and candies...

Ah, where to begin...

I am also a big fan of Swedish Fish, as well as their close cousin, Blue Dolphins (which are usually blue-raspberry flavored, not that I ever seen a blue raspberry).  The knock-offs, Jelly Fish, are OK, but they can't hold a candle to the original.   And I prefer the full-size Swedish Fish as opposed to the Mini-Swedish Fish.  *I believe a few years ago when the Sour Patch Kids craze caught on, there were also Sour Swedish Fish.  I liked those too.

Boston Baked Beans, Lemon Head, Grape Heads, etc... All those various Ferrara-Pan candies.  And you can still find them for $0.25 in those small boxes at some stores.

Fruit Slices - those sugared, jellied thingies.  Any and all colors/flavors.

Burnt Peanuts - A close cousin to Boston Baked Beans, but with a textured coating instead of a smooth one.  There's also a few names for this one too, but I can't recall them right now.

Corn Nuts - Preferably the Original Flavor.  -Brings back memories of the ferry ride to and from Port Angels to Seattle.

Beef Jerky - I like it too.  I go through phases where I always have some on hand to having none at all for a couple of months.  The new "soft style" and "nuggets" taste OK, but they sort of scare me - just what is keeping the beef soft?!?!?

Although it is not that weird in Europe, I also like some traditional salted licorice from time to time.  Quite the taste sensation to be sure.

Gummy Bears and almost any other Gummi-Fruit/Product from Haribo.  I'm especially fond of the Gummi Grapefruit, Peaches, Cherries and Coke Bottles.

Hmm.... 7-11 is open 24 hours, right?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 10:48:26 PM »

Ethnically speaking, I like a bunch of the tamarind snacks.  Just such a unique flavor, sour and sweet and ??.

I really like the Thai tamarind snacks that are sugared, salted and seasoned with ground red chiles.  A great rehearsal snack/pick-me-up.

There's a whole line of Filipino candies made with powdered and/or condensed milk and various flavorings.  I tend to overeat those whenever I find a bag of them.  The ube - purple yam - variety is my favorite, as well as the langka, jackfruit.

Some larger oriental markets also have vendors selling "dried peanut squid".  It's basically dried/cooked squid that been "tenderized" by cutting lots of little cuts in it, then it's basted with peanut-butter basically.  Try it!  You'll like it!

And I also like the middle-eastern and Spanish dried garbanzo beans, chick peas.  They've actually been cooked first, then roasted and/or dried until crisp and crunchy.  *Whole Foods now sells a Spanish snack mix which is comprised of dried chick peas, dried fava beans, Marcona almonds, pistachio nuts and corn nuts - very good!  (And I have a container downstairs in the kitchen as I type.)  I first came across these while sitting at the bar at Stella's in Richmond.  The owner offered me a handful of them.  I first tried the plain and salted kind.  A great bar knosh.  But then they also come with a candy/sugar coating on them, usually in bright colors - similar to a Jordan Almond coating, but much thinner.  Sort of like Greek m&m's.

I used to down those wasabi peas like there was no tomorrow, but there was one time when I had way too many of them - well, way too much wasabi in my system.  So, now, I usually prefer to have the plain dried/fried peas.

And then...

And then...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 10:49:05 PM »

Hmm....

No one else here but myself, the King of Weird Foods!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 10:51:53 PM »

Ohh!!....

Do Pixie Sticks (Stix - ??) count as weird food?

Or was it only weird when you poured them into soda?  And watched the chemical reaction?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 11:00:26 PM »

There is a huge Korean market near my parents house here in Fairfax.  Actually, two of them: Hanh Ah Reum and Super H Mart - they're both run by the same company, with the Super H being a bit more "American friendly".  In any case, they both have a large selection of bulk foods, with a bunch of bins of different snacks.  Some I will gladly sample and buy.  Others... well... I look at them at least.  Yes, the King of Weird Foods does have his limits.

:-\

Have any of the DRs in NYC been to that huge Japanese/Korean market across the river in Edgewater?  WOW!!!!  So much stuff!  And, like a lot of Asian supermarkets, the produce section is one big bargain bin - and since they do so much business, the turnover is very fast, and the produce is always fresh.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 11:02:27 PM »

And then there's all those "healthy snacks" in the Bulk Foods section of Whole Foods...

Who knew chocolate- or carob-covered rice cakes were health food?!?!?  -Especially the mint-chocolate or mint-carob coated ones!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2005, 11:03:34 PM »

But I do have to admit, I'm still trying to figure out the reasoning  behind chocolate coating soy nuts and sunflower seeds.  Although those brightly colored, candy-coated sunflower seeds do look cool.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2005, 11:03:58 PM »

Stop me, DR George!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2005, 11:04:08 PM »

NOW!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2005, 11:11:22 PM »

Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips

Chocolate Dipped Ritz Crackers

Chocolate/Fudge Dipped Oreos - Preferable homemade, not off the grocery store shelf.  I want the real deal chocolate-wise!

Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treats

Chocolate Dipped Slices of Frozen Cheesecake - Great State Fair food!

Oh... then there's the whole Fried/Battered category...

Fried Twinkies
Fried Mars Bars
Fried Snickers
Fried Oreos
Fried Cadbury Eggs

-Just check out the dessert menu of The Chip Shop in Park Slope.  *And they're Fish & Chips are very tasty too.  And they stick with tradition by frying their Fried Mars Bars (both the British and American versions) in the same oil they fry their fish 'n' chips.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2005, 11:11:54 PM »

I said, STOP ME!!!

;D

Maybe DR Ann, will come to my rescue....
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2005, 11:12:14 PM »

STOP!  Okay, I'm a little late...sorry! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2005, 11:13:33 PM »

I've never had a fried candy bar.  Are they really that good??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2005, 11:16:49 PM »

When I was on tour a few years ago, a mother of one of my tour-mates would always send her daughter a box full of goodies for the company.  My favorite treat of hers was an almond bark she would make with White Chocolate and Smokehouse Almonds - the original flavor, the one in the blue can.  The combination of the creamy, sweet white chocolate (actually, I've found the white chocolate "bark"/candy coating "bricks" work best), and the salty, seasoned roasted almonds... totally addictive.  And very easy to make too.  Just melt the package of white chocolate bark, stir in a can or two of Smokehouse almonds, spread onto a cookie sheet until cool and hard.  Break into pieces, and Enjoy!

Hmmm... Where's the nearest 24-hour grocery store... Ah, Harris Teeter is nearby... Hmmm.... Oh, and there's also the new Wegman's....
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 11:17:23 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2005, 11:16:57 PM »

Ah, FECUNDITY!

-Ah, reminds me of that marriage vows from Maltby & Shire's Closer Than Ever that uses the word "fecund".   I think it was the first - and only - time I've heard that word used in a song.

That's not just the first and only time that I've (also) heard that word used in a song, it's the ONLY that I've ever heard anyone use that word!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2005, 11:19:10 PM »

I've never had a fried candy bar.  Are they really that good??

In a word...

YES!!!![/size]

:D

-The Fried Mars Bars are the "original", and they're my favorite.  Hmm... When am I going to New York City again?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2005, 11:21:11 PM »

OH!!!

How could I forget...

Fried Pickles!!!

I prefer wedges/spears as opposed to slices/chips.  Some places do a cornmeal type breading - sort of like fried chicken - other places use a batter coating.  I like 'em either way.  And with ranch dressing on the side for dipping!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2005, 11:23:27 PM »

And does anyone still make that Fried Pasta Snack/Chip stuff anymore?  I used to buy something called "Past'Amore" in the bulk bins at Safeway all the time.  It was deep-fried pasta - usually rotini and penne shapes - seasoned with salt and parmesan cheese.  A great, surprisingly light crunch.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2005, 11:24:00 PM »

Ah.... Thank You, DR George...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2005, 11:24:27 PM »

OH!!!

How could I forget...

Fried Pickles!!!

I prefer wedges/spears as opposed to slices/chips.  Some places do a cornmeal type breading - sort of like fried chicken - other places use a batter coating.  I like 'em either way.  And with ranch dressing on the side for dipping!

There used to be a restaurant here in Olympia called Crackers (they closed probably 10-15 years ago).  They used to have deep fried pickle spears that were the best...okay, they were the only that I'd ever had, but they were darn good.  I can't remember what kind of batter they used, though.

George

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2005, 11:25:32 PM »

Only four more (after this post) till Page Two...just sayin'. ::)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 11:28:16 PM by George »

George

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2005, 11:28:47 PM »

Hi, Ann.  (three)

George

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2005, 11:29:33 PM »

Ebert and Roeper are just about to start.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2005, 11:32:05 PM »

And I also like that very Euro-snack of fried green beans - they're usually coated in a very thin batter before being put in the hot oil.  That chain of Euro-style hot dogs and other finger foods in NYC - just two locations, one in Chelsea, one up by Central Park - sells them.  -Can't remember the name right now...blue and white color scheme.  -And some pretty great hots dogs, franks, sausages, wursts, etc.  OHH!!  And the sell "Steak Fingers" too - pieces of beef that have been battered, then fried in oil.

-I only saw them on the menu... I haven't tried them.  Yet.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2005, 11:32:55 PM »

They're going to review "Cinderella Man" (an early review), "Empire Falls" and "Star Wars III:  Revenge of the Sith"...and others.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up