Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LOVELY GOODIES  (Read 19846 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:LOVELY GOODIES
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2005, 06:46:33 AM »

In my ongoing quest to lead Michael Barnum to culchah, today's opera lesson is the tenor and baritone.  We'll start with Rodney Gilfry, a baritone.

Mr. Gilfry gots some guns on him.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2005, 06:46:43 AM »

Media check:

DVD: Hopefully SWING HOSTESS if it arrives in the mail this weekend!

CD: INSTRUMENTAL GOLD
       Soundtrack to the Bollywood movie MURDER
       Soundtrack to the Bollywood movie MY BROTHER NIKHIL
       Ron Raines : BROADWAY PASSIONS

VHS: Nothing

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2005, 06:48:26 AM »

The best of vibes to OzDerek ... DRRLP - OUCH!!!  And walk vibes to DRGEORGE!  

What great posts we have.  DRJOSE I am glad you are enjoying Miss Annette singing all about MOSTLY boys.  I am wondering what DR ELMORE thinks of her efforts at Mr Victor Herbert's BABES?  Or maybe I don't want to know.

THE SITE IS GOING UP TODAY!!!  THE KRITZERLAND SITE IS GOING UP TODAY!!!  In case you missed the news!  I have been saving my pennies to get the Guy Haines CD.  As to the voice I think Mr Guy Haines resembles.  I think that Mr Guy Haines and Mr George Guetary have VERY similar voices.  Mr Guetary's version of "I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise" in AN AMERICAN IN PARIS is one of my ALL TIME favorite movie songs - and the staging with the lighted stairway is so lovely - would love to hear Mr Haines wrap his dulcet tones around that song....and with an accent!

Does the TABITHA series theme song have lyrics?

DR MS - is Arnold on the left or right in that photo?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2005, 06:51:10 AM »

DR MATTH - your new car is beautiful.  It reminds me of my favorite foreign car when I was growing up - the French Citroen!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2005, 06:51:19 AM »

Page Two Kritzerland Kick-Off Dance:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 07:02:03 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2005, 06:52:22 AM »

And my Bollywood movie for the weekend is:

ELAAN starring Arjun Rampal, Lara Dutta, and John Abraham!

Started watching it last night...wasn't expectingt to enjoy it very much, but it is actually a lot of fun...typical action flick using the standard action cliches that all the current action films (Indian and American made) use...but some great music and song numbers!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2005, 06:54:51 AM »

MEDIA CHECK:

DVD:  I am really loving the Gary Cooper Collection  Watching DESIGN FOR LIVING.
VCR: ILLUSIONS, the film version of I'LL BE BACK BEFORE MIDNIGHT - oy vey..such tsuris.  Oy...Heather Locklear, Robert Carradine, Emma Samms, and Ned Beatty...OY!!!
CD: Finalizing the music for the play....  I must say that Vic Mizzy could nail a show in one minute!  I love the GREEN ACRES theme.  Everything resolves AND I still can't figure out all the instrumentation in that tune!  There is some kind of genius involved...I am not sure what it is...but it is!

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2005, 06:55:38 AM »

Heathlful vibes to BK!

Recovery vibes to OzDerek!

Getting off the ground vibes to Michael Shayne!

Good walking vibes to DR George!

Good travel vibes to DRs Ginny and Rodzinski!

Saving pennies vibes to DR JRand54!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  :)  ;)  :D  ;D  8)  :-*  :)  ;)  :D  ;D  :-*  :)  ;)  :D  ;D  :-\  [/move]

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2005, 06:57:27 AM »

Nice shoes on that gal, DR DtM!

DR ELMORE - we don't need no one to teach kulture at us.  When it comes to kulture, me and MBARNUM are the first hogs to the trough.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2005, 06:59:10 AM »

MEDIA CHECK:

DVD:  I am really loving the Gary Cooper Collection  Watching DESIGN FOR LIVING.
VCR: ILLUSIONS, the film version of I'LL BE BACK BEFORE MIDNIGHT - oy vey..such tsuris.  Oy...Heather Locklear, Robert Carradine, Emma Samms, and Ned Beatty...OY!!!
CD: Finalizing the music for the play....  I must say that Vic Mizzy could nail a show in one minute!  I love the GREEN ACRES theme.  Everything resolves AND I still can't figure out all the instrumentation in that tune!  There is some kind of genius involved...I am not sure what it is...but it is!

LOL!  I still love hearing the Hooterville Marching Band play "A Hot Time in the Ol' Town Tonight".
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2005, 06:59:56 AM »

Thanks, MB.  The pennies are doing okay by themselves, it's the dollars that are hard to hold onto!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2005, 07:02:03 AM »

Don't plug in the waffle iron without unplugging the dishvasher!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2005, 07:03:52 AM »

Heathlful vibes to BK!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  :)  ;)  :D  ;D  8)  :-*  :)  ;)  :D  ;D  :-*  :)  ;)  :D  ;D  :-\  [/move]

Ditto.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2005, 07:06:27 AM »

I have much catching up to do, a couple of days worth at least, but I don't have the time right now to do it.  Drat.

At least I survived yesterday, although I was worried at times about managing that.  Der Brucer and I were on ladsitting duty again, taking the grandlads to their summer camps.  The day started well enough.  After dropping Alex off at his farming camp at the arboritum, we putzed for a while with William, watching the bullfrogs in the drifty river outside the main exhibit hall.  That was particularly interesting, since a female bullfrog and a male bullfrog were mating, and we actually got to watch them doing the deed!

My problems began when we took William to his soccer camp.  It was just a ninty-minute class, but my allergies began to kick in almost immediately when we arrived, a giant congestion and dripping from the nasal passages.  Still, I wasn't worried.

After the class, William, der B and I headed back to the park area where the arboritum is located for lunch.  Sandwiches and Pepsi.  It was there that the allergies got worse, and got into my eyes of all places.  I'm not used to that happening.  I excused myself to the restroom, and washed my face, as that usually helps clear away the pollens, but it didn't help at all.  While my eyes were swelling shut, scratchy and hurting, I managed to tell der B what was happening, and that I wanted to get out of the area.

He reacted quickly, piling us all back into the car and driving us to a local drug store, where he bought me eye drops, antihistimines, and a box of Kleenex.  It was an interesting ride, as I was keeping my eyes shut the entire way while William, not understanding that I couldn't see all of a sudden, kept asking me to play certain songs on the CD player.

Fortunately, the eye drops were an instant success, and the antihistimines kicked in not too long after.  I'm still feeling loopy from the antihistimes, which is going to make work today more fun that usual.

And that is the state of the art.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2005, 07:06:46 AM »

I've been speding my evening mostly reading a new book about the making of 1776, David McCullough's 1776.

Yes, and I bet the song cues are glaringly obvious!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2005, 07:07:48 AM »

Must get ready to go to work.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2005, 07:09:08 AM »

I just got McCullough's 1776 as well; we'll have to compare notes later, Dan (the Man)!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2005, 07:10:56 AM »

Media Check:

VCR: tape of Tony's and this week's telecast of the Rochester Broadway Theatre League's STARS OF TOMORROW ceremony.  (Two hours!  In Primetime!  On NBC affiliate!) [And DR Jose thinks there's nothing on primetime TV.  It's SUMMER!  Of course there isn't!!]

DVD:  We've had the boxed QUEER AS FOLK collection on loan for several weeks now, and still haven't gotten around to Disc 1.

Car CD:  (Finally got that connection patched up.)  This morning, Liz Callaway (On & Off Broadway).  On Deck:  PIAZZA sampler that I received yesterday.  (And I don't mean Mike.)

Still listening to AOL radio at the office.  It's just easier.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 07:15:40 AM by Stuart »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2005, 07:12:18 AM »

-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2005, 07:16:38 AM »

I spy SteveO.  And I wanted to tell him that I thought his post was charming.  And that it's not the quantity, but the quality of the posts that counts in these here parts.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2005, 07:19:07 AM »

Heathlful vibes to BK!

I
 I'
  I'l
    ll
     lll drink to that!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2005, 07:21:07 AM »

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2005, 07:23:38 AM »

DR ELMORE - we don't need no one to teach kulture at us.  When it comes to kulture, me and MBARNUM are the first hogs to the trough.

Ain't it the Truth!

Which reminds me, I guess I need to finish watching my DVD double feature of THE DEFILERS and SCUM OF THE EARTH...part of my "1960s films made in Florida" collection!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2005, 07:26:23 AM »

Dear BK,I think you have not enough energy to fight against germs because of being in diet and being tired.  Diet person is apt to catch a cold and to have troubles with one’s vulnerable spots/parts.  Be a good boy and rest yourself this whole weekend, and you’ll be better. You must rest up, I think.

EmergenC is a nice name. I like it!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2005, 07:27:17 AM »

And
OOMPH has a very funny spelling!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2005, 07:33:04 AM »

Most likely I will be largely E&T this weekend as we madly rehearse and then open our Bacharach show tonight.  (On top of which, I have *another* gig tonight *before* the Bacharach show--oy!).

BK, I seriously doubt you got anything from Zach, as we took him to the doctor on Wednesday as a precaution and:  he isn't sick.  (No fever, no throat distress.  He evidently just had a moment where he coughed up the milk and water he had just drunk).

Elmore:  Amelie is a very charming film (IMHO) if you get yourself in the right, quirky frame of mind (you reside in that frame, don't you? ;) ).  Have you seen City of Lost Children by the same director?  Hilarious Ron Perlman commentary on that one, worth the price of admission.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2005, 07:37:04 AM »

Been thinking a lot about LOST IN THE STARS these last few days, and I woke up this morning and realized that I have the script for the musical in a book of famous plays of the 1940s. I immediately got it out and read it.

Good lord, why did the screenwriter change the end of the story where the two fathers who had lost sons come together in a new beginning, perhaps uniting because of their shared loss rather than being separated by their political differences? It certainly gives the tragic nature of the story a little ray of sunshine at the end of a very sad story.

Anyway, today I am going to fish out that cast recording and listen to the whole thing again.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2005, 07:42:13 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - OLIVER! (OBC)

cassette - LOST IN THE STARS (OBC)

DVD - ADVISE AND CONSENT
          ANGEL, Season 2, Disc 6 (eps 21 and 22)
          TROY

DVR - "The Green Hornet"

laserdisc - FLAMINGO ROAD
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 07:43:17 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2005, 07:44:14 AM »

Thank you, DR JRand, for the comments on the car. I will be driving around in it a little more today.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2005, 08:03:14 AM »

I will also be e & t tomorrow as I'll be trucking up the turnpike tomorrow to go see Spamalot.  Hopefully, I'll be able to take in something else, too.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up