Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE A CHICKEN WITH ITS HEAD CUT OFF  (Read 21924 times)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
Re:LIKE A CHICKEN WITH ITS HEAD CUT OFF
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2005, 06:49:51 AM »

I have a question.

Is "A CHICKEN WITH ITS HEAD CUT OFF " an idiomatic phrase?
Or has a special meaning? ???

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2005, 06:57:19 AM »

Good morning, DR GINNY!

I had my favorite chocolate cake, as I mentioned a few hours ago. :P
It was YUM as usual. :D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2005, 07:43:46 AM »

Correct, DR Cillaliz, about "it's" and "its."

Personal pronouns in English have their own possessive forms which do not require apostrophes. "His" for "he" and "their" for "they." "Its" is the possessive form for "it."

Apostrophes with personal pronouns imply contractions where two words have been joined together with one or more letters omitted.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2005, 07:46:50 AM »

I think I mentioned my favorite pastry some months ago. When I was on the swimming team as a teen, we used to go to the uptown bakery after practice each morning and buy sweets. Not sure exactly why we craved those rather than REAL food, but we did. At any rate, they made this fluffy pastry called a cream horn. The confection was bigger than a standard cream puff though it had the same basic idea, and it was flakier than a cream puff. Simply wonderful.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2005, 07:48:56 AM »

Oh, chocolate cake. Be still my beating heart. I have been wanting to bake one for weeks and have so far resisted, but I really do have a craving for one.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2005, 07:50:56 AM »

This next week will be renamed Sauna Carolina around here. Temps every day will be in the mid-90s with 100% humidity. When I went out to get the newspaper this morning close to 8 a.m., it was already 79 degrees, and it was oppressively humid.

This will be a great week to stay inside and watch movies.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2005, 07:51:24 AM »

"All alone Monday, singing the blues. . . ."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2005, 07:57:45 AM »

I have a question.

DRHisaka, it's actually a rather graphic description.  when my family used to visit my Father's mother in Appalachia, she'd go out to the yard where her chickens were wandering around pecking the gound for food; she'd chase one down, wring its neck until she could pull off the head, and the headless bird in its death throes would wander aimlessly about the yard till it fell over.   She'd do the same to two or three other birds and that's how we had fried chicken for dinner
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2005, 08:04:16 AM »

I am going to concentrate today of getting the DVR cleaned off (there are about four shows on there) and then finishing Season 2 of MONK. Not sure I can accomplish all of that viewing today (especially with a lunch invitation pending), but that will be my goal.

Michael

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2005, 08:27:18 AM »

Can someone tell me again what the dates of the HHW get together in NYC in October
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2005, 08:43:06 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Must run to Staples and buy one more batch of yet bigger-sized envelopes.  

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2005, 08:51:24 AM »

Betsy loves polenta.  I abhor it.  So this year, when I have been trying to diet pretty religiously (and succeeding, I might add), Betsy has been making one polenta dish after another for dinner, so that I am not "tempted."  Believe me, I am not tempted.   ;D

I hate eclairs.  Why ruin perfectly good chocolate with all that gooey creamy gunk?

I am having a rather amusing "conversation" with some idiot (technical term) over at IMDb, who wants to know why Frances Farmer didn't stop Jean Ratcliffe from spreading lies in "Will There Really Be a Morning?", Frances' purported autobiography which Jean actually wrote.  Well maybe because Frances had been DEAD for two years when the book was released.  (Just a wild guess).   8)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2005, 08:57:57 AM »

I have a question.

Yes, Hisaka, it is an idiom denoting wild and chaotic activity, frequently with no purpose.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2005, 08:59:23 AM »

Speaking of possessives and the like:  one of my big pet peeves is "your" vs. "you're."  Don't they teach these things anymore?  I have gotten more letters/emails from supposedly highly educated people substituting one for the other and it kind of bugs me.  (Time to get a life, I know).

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2005, 09:01:54 AM »

BK, speaking for JRand54 and myself, we want to know what you did think of MANSION OF THE GHOST CAT!!??

We both thought it was great!

And did you also get yourself the other films by that same director...JIGOKU, GHOST OF KASANE SWAMP, or DEATH ROW WOMAN (all 3 of which I just received in my mailbox on Saturday!).

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2005, 09:07:22 AM »

Can someone tell me again what the dates of the HHW get together in NYC in October

DR Michael Shayne - It's the first week in October, with the emphasis on the middle of the week, Tuesday-Thursday, October 4-6.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2005, 09:14:55 AM »

Good morning, DR GINNY!

I had my favorite chocolate cake, as I mentioned a few hours ago. :P
It was YUM as usual. :D

Hi, DR Hisaka!  Sorry I missed you earlier.  I'm glad you enjoyed your chocolate cake.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2005, 09:15:31 AM »

Yep, DR Michael Shayne, I know that dessert as Mille Feuille too!

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2005, 09:18:19 AM »

"Your" and "you're" are actually the same problem as with "it's" and "its" with the mix-up over possessives versus contractions. The problem is that with these near-sound alikes, the kids were writing the first word that popped into their heads rather than thinking what the words themselves actually mean. I suspect adults do the same thing when they're writing and in a hurry.

When I taught, those two problems (it's-your) along with students confusing "to-too-two" and the infuriating habit of students making "a lot" into one word ("alot") were the most common spelling errors I experienced at the junior high/middle school level.

I am sure the students had been taught these things in elementary school, and I KNOW for a fact I re-taught them again and again, but it honestly never seemed to burrow itself into their brains, and I'd still have students making those mistakes when they left my room at the end of the year. (But after teaching it a couple of times, I'd start docking points from composition grades to start making them take more serious notice. Still didn't seem to matter to many though I'm sure a few got the point eventually.)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 09:21:29 AM by Matt H. »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2005, 09:21:59 AM »

Watching "The High and the Mighty" last night, I found it interesting to hear one of the characters use the phrase "....and get a load of this..."

It reminded me that I had heard this phrase most of my life until probably the last 20 years.

I appreciate the genesis of such phrases as "...a load of bull..." because the imply a large quantity is at hand.

And I'm guessing that "...get a load of XXXX..." might have some similar implications, only I've heard it used when someone was simply referring to a person walking by..."Well!  Get a load of her!"  Generally speaking, of course, it's because "her" was in something slinky, or decked out in too many jewels, or had more than one fella following her around.

All that WWII and post-WWII lingo is fascinating, IMO.

But what would younger folks today make of "...get a load of this..."???
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 09:28:35 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2005, 09:23:29 AM »

I do have a date for lunch so I'll be off in a second and will return later this afternoon.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2005, 09:24:12 AM »

When I taught, those two problems (it's-your) along with students confusing "to-too-two" and the infuriating habit of students making "a lot" into one word ("alot") were the most common spelling errors I experienced at the junior high/middle school level.

What??!!!  And "mary, marry and merry" never caused any problems???????

:D

(You are welcome, TomovOz!)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2005, 09:27:53 AM »

"Your" and "you're" are actually the same problem as with "it's" and "its" with the mix-up over possessives versus contractions. The problem is that with these near-sound alikes, the kids were writing the first word that popped into their heads rather than thinking what the words themselves actually mean. I suspect adults do the same thing when  they're writing and in a hurry.

This is very true.  It chagrins me no end to see I've made similar errors after having posted an entry.  Many times, I've modified posts to correct typos, missed letters and errant contractions/possessives.

And I know I've missed a few, too!  

The grammatical errors that drive me nuts involve number agreement.

A common misuse:  "A person would be....if 'they' tried to..."  A "person" is singular...and would take a "he" or a "she" (or, on random occasion, an "it").  

In Britain, corporate entities are plural in nature.  "Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer....they....have....are...."

But in the US, corporate entites are singular:  "AT&T...it....has....is...."  We refer to such things as "collective nouns" requiring singular modifiers.

Misuse is absolutely RAMPANT in the media.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 09:35:36 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2005, 09:28:02 AM »

What??!!!  And "mary, marry and merry" never caused any problems???????

(You are welcome, TomovOz!)

It did come up on occasion, but not with the regularity of those other errors.

I DO know that has been a major source of discussion at HHW.

Jason

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2005, 09:28:22 AM »

I'm 28 years old - I have a Master's Degree - and I've just learned (finally!) how to properly use "its" and "it's." I know it's silly, but I always got them confused before, so I'd add in apostrophes all willy-nilly when there needn't be any. But I've ALWAYS known the difference between "your" and "you're."

Mr. Sandy Wilson (composer of THE BOY FRIEND) just walked in the office.

I have to admit, and I know it's low-brow and many of you do not agree with me, that Krispy Kreme Donuts are my favorite pastries, if you can call them that. I love them. I also love lemon and berry tarts like we used to have in the old country. And by "old country," I mean England. Their strawberry tarts are to die for. I also could go for a croissant any time of day.

Elmore...your chicken story makes me homesick. ;)

Jason

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2005, 09:29:42 AM »

"there," "they're" and "their" often cause problems, as well.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2005, 09:34:23 AM »

"there," "they're" and "their" often cause problems, as well.

Their-their, now.

They're-they're!

Jason

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2005, 09:36:37 AM »

Current temperature in Nueva York: 86 degrees and sunny with 70% humidity. Heat index: 95 F.  By 3pm, the heat index should reach 100 F with 86% humidity. Low tonight: 83 F (heat index) with 87% humidity and a chance of storms.

God, I love New York summers....

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2005, 09:43:34 AM »

Speaking of possessives and the like:  one of my big pet peeves is "your" vs. "you're."  Don't they teach these things anymore?  I have gotten more letters/emails from supposedly highly educated people substituting one for the other and it kind of bugs me.  (Time to get a life, I know).

Same with their, there and they're.

Urp!  I missed DR Jason's post.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 09:46:23 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2005, 09:43:50 AM »

Current temperature in the Dale of Scotts is 98F at 9:45 a.m., dewpoint of 57. Looks like we are on the countdown to the monsoon!

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up