Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SECOND SESSION  (Read 15680 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE SECOND SESSION
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2005, 12:31:25 PM »

Bruce did Musso and Frank offer to comp any of your meal?  

Jed, where in NJ?  

Charles I don’t believe I have seen JUAREZ.  I shall have to rectify my error.

Ginny-great news!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2005, 12:36:00 PM »

DR JANE - once you see JUAREZ, I think you will want to find some good books on Maximillian and Carlotta.  It is a fascinating story - and the movie could barely scratch the surface.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2005, 12:36:29 PM »

If anyone is interested, SUNY Brockport's theatre department has announced the plays they have chosen for next year:

A PIECE OF MY HEART by Shirley Lauro
MARAT/SADE by Peter Weiss
TERRA NOVA by Ted Tally
LUCKY STIFF by Ahrens and Flaherty

What do they all have in common?  Implicitly or explicitly, there is a dead body in each and every one of them!

Oy, another season that's an uphill battle to promote.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2005, 12:39:15 PM »

Who here has bought the 2-DVD "Phantom of the Opera" besides me?

Anyone brave enough to fess up?

I bought it yesterday at Costco.  I haven't watched it yet, but I will.  Costco also had the 1-disc widescreen DVD paired with either "Dangerous Liaisons" or (I think) "The Bridges of Madison County" for the same price as the 2-DVD set on its own.  I was not interested in either of the other movies, so I didn't get the set.  Plus, I want the bonus stuff.  I also bought the 2-CD complete recording of the movie soundtrack.  I'm not interested in just the "tunes" from the movie.  I like to get the whole thing, if it's available.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 12:41:40 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2005, 12:46:14 PM »

I found this and thought I would share because it is sad...

500 Greyhounds Need Rescue...the rest die May 14th!

CONTACT: Dakin Animal Shelter (in MA) at 413-548-9898 The greyhound track in Plainfield, CT voted on April 26th that they would discontinue greyhound racing. Unfortunately - and heartbreakingly - they've also decided that rescuers have only two weeks to get the dogs out, and any dogs remaining at the track on May 14th will be euthanized. This is a monumental task because there are at least 500 dogs currently at the track. These are all young, healthy dogs, 2-4 years of age, who would make great family pets.

I went to their website and it was updated today.  Here's the new first paragraph with changes in bold:

The greyhound track in Plainfield, CT voted on April 26th that they would discontinue greyhound racing. Heartbreakingly, they also decided that rescuers would have only two weeks to get the dogs off the track; fortunately the kennel folks at the track have been able to get a court order to extend this time. This is a monumental task because there are between 800-1,000 dogs currently at the track. These are all young, healthy dogs, 2-4 years of age, who would make great family pets.

I work with a woman (my previously mentioned friend, Kathy) who has two rescued greyhounds.  I forwarded the information to her.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2005, 12:49:26 PM »

JMK welcome back and sorry I missed the episode of TZ.

Ann GOOD JOB VIBES!!

Joey the link isn’t working.  Vixmom did you try it?  Joey shall I wait to donate until you are after the big bucks?

Though the story of the Greyhounds is sound, and very unfair such a short time to rescue them was given, I’m pleased they have discontinued the racing. :D

Elmore I’m sorry you had such a terrible morning.

Stuart, and Ron-LOL.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2005, 12:55:31 PM »

BK:  No, I was using Newport as an adjective.  There's a very Newport-like poster on Max's list who took time out of his busy day (not!) to inform me that if a show doesn't play in New York or L.A., it's not worth listening to.

Elmore:  There are a lot more than 4 versions!!  There have been at least 3 other versions that have played in Seattle and Toronto.  And our copyright search uncovered our favorite:  Refer Madness, an industrial film about industrial refrigerators (I kid you not).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2005, 12:57:03 PM »

I never did get to the theatre to see the PHANTOM OF THE OPERA movie.  But since my dad is a Phantom addict, I will just watch his dvd (which he already has).  Although he didn't get the 2 disk version (the store he bought it at only had the single).

Although I do have to watch PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN this week (since have never seen it and I borrowed it from my brother-in-law a few weeks ago).  I like to be prompt about these things.

Jennifer

« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2005, 12:58:10 PM »

HEY DRs STUART, JRAND, JMK and MBARNUM and whoever else watches TAR).  How come no comments about last night's show? :( :( :(

Jane

« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2005, 01:02:01 PM »

George thanks for the update.  I hope they can find homes for all of them.  When Echo had the strange condition similar to Lyme disease my research mentioned tick infested Greyhounds were spreading it as they are sent to homes across the country.  So anyone rescuing a Greyhound might want to check it for Ehrilichiosis, especially if the dog shows arthritic or neurological symptoms.  

JRand I will remember what you said after I get around to watching the movie.  I set TiVo to record it and who knows when that will be.

JMK

« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2005, 01:05:02 PM »

TAR:  Well, I loved Gretchen and Meredith, but were there ever two more STUPID players on this show?   ;D  I mean, here they are 70-something, with a choice to solve riddles or hoist 200 lb. boats, and what do they choose?  I half-expected there to be an episode with a road block:  Cliff or Cake.  If you choose cliff, you must jump off this 200 foot cliff with no parachute.  If you choose cake, you must eat a piece of yummilicious chocolate cake.  At which point, Gretchen and Meredith turn to each other and say, "Well, I guess we'd better jump off the cliff, then."

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2005, 01:11:30 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I AM OUT!!!!!

-Well, actually, I've been "out" since I was 17, but that's beside the point.

I loaded the final bag of stuff from my old place into my car about an hour ago.  I did one final vacuum and dusting/Swiffer-ing , pointed out what I had left behind, and what should probably be brought to the attention of the landlord - after moving some more shelves, I found a few more mouse holes.  Then after a brief quasi-exit inspection with my roomie, I got into my car and drove off.

:)

-Since I'm here this week with Mamma Mia!, I just went ahead and had my mail forwarding request effective for next Monday, so I'll just pop by the place each afternoon this week to pick up the day's mail.

I also took a bunch of boxes from Steve's place to the recycling center, and a bag of garbage to the dumpster.

And now....

I'm just taking a little breather.  I need a nice shower, and then a nice dinner before I have my nice show tonight.  ...Then I can catch up on today's posts.

Whew!

So...

In the meantime, VIBES to those who need them.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2005, 01:21:17 PM »

HEY DRs STUART, JRAND, JMK and MBARNUM and whoever else watches TAR).  How come no comments about last night's show? :( :( :(

Have to run, but I was sorry to see Gretchen & Meredith go, even though I knew they'd never win.  And as JMK pointed out above, they had to have chosen some of the strangest roadblocks to do.

I am still all for Uchenna and Joyce pulling it out...with each installment they grow on me.  (Not unlike a fungus.)

You know I don't care for Romber, and my feelings for Ron & Kelly are quickly heading south, as well.

May the best, if not the most deserving, team win!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2005, 01:27:35 PM »

I saw about 20 minutes of PHANTOM at my friend's house today as he got lunch prepared. As I said before, I will not put one dime more money in ALW's pocket on his PHANTOM project. The twenty minutes I saw and heard looked good, the Phantom (Gerard Butler) does not have a trained voice but certainly hits all the notes and is even more gorgeous to look at than Patrick Wilson's Raoul. Christine (Emily somebody) has a slight, pretty voice and is lovely to look at. I don't fault the choice of these actors as they seem right for the roles and in a motion picture on the big screen you want these operatic-melodramatic emotions played by pretty people. Those who cried foul about Crawford and Brightman not repeating their stage roles are not being realistic. I wouldn't want to watch either of them magnified on the big screen (or close-up on my TV) for over two hours.

I still just can't stand the material, so no PHANTOM DVD for me. My friend loved it, however, and will eventually let me borrow it to finish watching.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2005, 01:31:23 PM »

Got his DVD recorder set up to with very little hassle and everything was working fine when I left. He was getting ready to dub one of his old show VHS tapes to a DVD+R. He's planning on doing that for all of the shows on tape he has.

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2005, 01:33:12 PM »

When I got home, I watched the first hour of the two hour LAW & ORDER marathon from last night that featured Angela Lansbury as a wealthy matriarch with a serial rapist son (played by Alfred Molina). Their lawyer was played by the adorable Bradley Cooper (from the first two seasons of ALIAS). Rita Moreno was also a guest star on the show! A starry cast!

I'll finish the second hour when I go back downstairs a little later.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2005, 01:36:31 PM »

SKIP THIS POST IF YOU ARE NOT A TAR FAN>

DR JENNIFER - I think that Rob should have Yielded Uchenna & Joyce - I think that more than likely would have knocked them out.  Ron & Kelly were not that far behind them and no matter what they did were going to come in second last night.

I think I talked about it last night....next week two hour finale!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2005, 01:36:44 PM »

Forgot to mention that, of course, Bebe Neuwirth plays an ADA trying the case (she's the star of the latest offshoot LAW & ORDER: TRIAL BY JURY, so it made sense for her to be there) so that added even more star power to the actor line-up.

George

« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2005, 01:55:25 PM »

....Those who cried foul about Crawford and Brightman not repeating their stage roles are not being realistic. I wouldn't want to watch either of them magnified on the big screen (or close-up on my TV) for over two hours....

I know that Sarah and Michael never had a chance to play Christine and the Phantom (respectively ;)), but I always wonder, what if Sarah had played Carlotta?  She certainly has the voice and I think it would have been nice to have had everyone do their own singing.  I've seen interviews with her and she's got a sense of humor.  I think she could've done it and been very good.  Any thoughts??

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2005, 02:06:30 PM »

Well, the bits I saw with Minnie Driver today were very funny. I'm not sure Sarah would have been as effective. I'm also not sure she would have taken the lesser role when it was Christine that she wanted.

And since ALW financed the film himself, he may not have wanted her in that part (though I understand their divorce was amicable).

Jane

« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2005, 02:11:56 PM »

Just from watching and listening to the previews of Phantom I had no interest in seeing or listening to the movie.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2005, 02:23:18 PM »

Who here has bought the 2-DVD "Phantom of the Opera" besides me?

Anyone brave enough to fess up?
Uh...... here.

Der Brucer was insisting that we get it, but only spotted the 1-disc version at the store.  I have sharper eyes, and spotted the slightly different cover.  He still insisted on hogging all the televisions last night.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2005, 02:26:46 PM »

I found this and thought I would share because it is sad...

500 Greyhounds Need Rescue...the rest die May 14th!
Every year, a gathering of Greyhounds and their people is held in Rehoboth Beach...but I don't remember exactly when.  They are graceful, sweet animals that are being overbred and killed for one of the most heartless gambling practices I know of.  If der B and I were living near a track, we'd be exhausted from all the rescue work.

:'(
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2005, 02:32:57 PM »

Elmore:  There are a lot more than 4 versions!!  There have been at least 3 other versions that have played in Seattle and Toronto.  And our copyright search uncovered our favorite:  Refer Madness, an industrial film about industrial refrigerators (I kid you not).
Curious, that so many different versions of RM have played in Seattle/Toronto.  Why is this?

::)

;D

JMK

« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2005, 02:38:15 PM »

;D ;D
Curious, that so many different versions of RM have played in Seattle/Toronto.  Why is this?

::)

;D
No doubt all the "field research" has resulted in short-term memory loss--so the public has simply forgotten they saw Version A two nights ago, and go out again to see Version B.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2005, 02:45:17 PM »

Maybe what we need is a Bad Casting Call for POTO.

The Phantom - Nathan Lane
Christine - Uma Thurman
Raul - Matthew Broderick
Madame Giry - Roger Bart
Carlotta - Gary Beach

No, wait, Mel Brooks is already producing this version.   ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2005, 02:49:53 PM »

Just got the two disc Phantom, so I'll watch it this very evening.

I'm gonna eat some lunch right now, then I'll tell you all about my adventure clothes shopping.

Jane: I didn't ask to be comped, and they certainly didn't offer - they are not that sort of establishment.  I am pondering calling one of the managers today.

JMK

« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2005, 02:50:28 PM »

Mystery of the day department:  Why would 58 people from Canada access my Frances Farmer article in one day?  And none of them using links from other sites--in other words, these were 58 independent people who either used a search engine to find it or who already knew the URL.  Did Frances just play up there on tv, perhaps?  This is a very large number--usually I get between 10 and 20 hits per day total.  And those are spread between several countries worldwide.  Weird.

JMK

« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2005, 02:51:50 PM »

Or maybe it's just Jennifer giving me the Gaslight treatment.  Powla, what have you done with the lovely brooch, Powla?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2005, 03:03:35 PM »

Mystery of the day department:  Why would 58 people from Canada access my Frances Farmer article in one day?  And none of them using links from other sites--in other words, these were 58 independent people who either used a search engine to find it or who already knew the URL.  Did Frances just play up there on tv, perhaps?  This is a very large number--usually I get between 10 and 20 hits per day total.  And those are spread between several countries worldwide.  Weird.
Class assignment?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up