Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SPEAKING VOLUMES  (Read 20212 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:SPEAKING VOLUMES
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2005, 01:17:22 PM »

When I ordered my August show tickets a couple of months ago, LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA was scheduled then to close in mid-September. I chose not to order tickets because at the time it wasn't selling all that well, and I didn't want to risk getting tickets for a show and then it closing prematurely as the Roundabout did with ASSASSINS last year (which closed while still doing healthy if not sellout business, better business than PIAZZA had been doing.)

ASSASSINS won 5 Tonys (the most of any musical last year) and it still closed early. Who knows what will happen to PIAZZA? I have to say I wasn't so swept away with the music that I'm sorry I didn't order tickets for it. Perhaps when my CD arrives on Wednesday, I'll change my mind and be regretful, but for now, I'm satisfied with the four shows I'll be seeing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2005, 01:19:37 PM »

I have a question regarding SPELLING BEE. Is Al Sharpton in it? Or do they have a different celebrity in each show as a joke?

God love Al!  He irritates and amuses me, often at the same time, but I have great admiration for him.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2005, 01:19:45 PM »

TOD:

Company OCR
ALNM OCR
SITPWG
A New Brain

All I can think of at the moment, but these have held up well for me.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2005, 01:20:55 PM »

I think I heard that The Light In The Piazza was a limited run that's already been extended through to the end of summer.

I have tickets for Spamalot the weekend after next and I'm trying to decide which of the other three shows I will also take in.  In some ways, I wish I could see something different other than Spamalot, except I don't want to miss Hank Azara before he goes on his summer hiatus from the show.

Well, DRDTM, are any of us getting to meet you when you show up?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2005, 01:21:34 PM »

DR Vixmom, it would all depend on what genre he would be most interested in...action, adventure, dramatic, tearjerker, thriller, comedy, war...new or vintage.

I think something he wouldn't view as a 'chick flick' and I wouldn't view as too violent ( no flying body parts  ;D)

I guess adventure or comedy, but whatever you think

We watched "Jan Daar", a Thai movie, over the weekend it was a wild ride... sex, incest, rape, pologamy

I think the Bollywood movies are a bit tamer aren't they?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2005, 01:38:21 PM »

Well, DRDTM, are any of us getting to meet you when you show up?

Has no one made plans to meet with dear Dan (the man) yet? That's no good!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2005, 01:45:17 PM »

I think something he wouldn't view as a 'chick flick' and I wouldn't view as too violent ( no flying body parts  ;D)

I guess adventure or comedy, but whatever you think

We watched "Jan Daar", a Thai movie, over the weekend it was a wild ride... sex, incest, rape, pologamy

I think the Bollywood movies are a bit tamer aren't they?

Hmmmm...I was going to suggest the movie that DR Jose got (but hasn't watched). It is a remake of LOVE STORY...but that might be a chick flick...there are some very good comedies out....Hera Pheri (2000) is quite funny, I liked it, and there is a sequel coming out this year...Yeh Tera Ghar Yeh Mera Ghar (2001) was also a fun comedy. You can probably get both movies from NETFLIX.

For action/adventure I highly recommend PAAP. It is only mildly violent, no decapitations or anything, LOL, but there are some fights and shooting, and a little sexiness! A good story, and one heck of a gorgeous leading man!!! Hubba Hubba!

Any of those 3 films I think you would both enjoy.

If you want something from the 50s or 60s I can suggest many others.

vixmom

« Reply #127 on: June 06, 2005, 01:49:17 PM »

Perhaps someone can explain this to me:  Well, probably not because you are all intelligent beings....

A conservative Christian activist group said Monday that it had suspended its boycott of Ford Motor Co. after Ford dealers promised to lobby the automaker to address the group’s concerns about its support for gay and lesbian rights.

The American Family Association, which is based in Tupelo, Miss., announced the boycott only a week ago, calling Ford “the company which has done the most to affirm and promote the homosexual lifestyle.” Ford extends benefits to employees’ same-sex partners, offers to make donations to gay advocacy groups when their members buy specific automobiles, sponsors gay pride celebrations and advertises in gay-oriented publications, part of what it says is an important diversity outreach.

Does this group think that Ford employees and/or consumers  'choose' their sexual orientation based on  benefit packages ?  

"Gosh, I can't get health care coverage for my live-in boyfriend  so I guess I'm going to become a lesbian."

Geez Louise!!!

vixmom

« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2005, 01:54:57 PM »

Hmmmm...I was going to suggest the movie that DR Jose got (but hasn't watched). It is a remake of LOVE STORY...but that might be a chick flick...there are some very good comedies out....Hera Pheri (2000) is quite funny, I liked it, and there is a sequel coming out this year...Yeh Tera Ghar Yeh Mera Ghar (2001) was also a fun comedy. You can probably get both movies from NETFLIX.

For action/adventure I highly recommend PAAP. It is only mildly violent, no decapitations or anything, LOL, but there are some fights and shooting, and a little sexiness! A good story, and one heck of a gorgeous leading man!!! Hubba Hubba!

Any of those 3 films I think you would both enjoy.

If you want something from the 50s or 60s I can suggest many others.

I will go and see if I can find them..  Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know what we got and what we thought.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2005, 01:58:57 PM »

The OCR of Bells are Ringing is completely in stereo.  The Columbia album that had some experimental stereo tracks done (but not released at the time) was Li'l Abner - for the current reissue both of those tracks are included.

I love that playbill thing about amazon.  How pathetic are theater people trying to shove this stuff down the throats of the public - and it DOESN'T work, kiddies.  And why is this the first year, do you suppose, that they've tried this ploy?  Because it's the ONLY way they can pretend that something is happening, sales-wise.  Certainly, these albums are not going to be appearing on the Billboard chart EVER.  So, what's the deal on amazon?  Let's say something is sitting at number 100 on the sales rank.  If five people buy that album within a few hours, that sales rank number will change to number 10.  That's how it works.  How else would Writer's Block jump from sales rank number 500,000 to sales rank number 29,000 (which is comparable to what they're saying is happening with these CDs)?  I mean, Writer's Block didn't have HUGE sales, but it did improve its sales rank by 300 percent.  Why?  Because ten people bought the book after the theatermania review came out.  After Filichia's plug it had consistent good sales ranking during Christmas.  Why?  Because two or three people a day were buying the book.

Even Guy Haines made  the top 100, and if THAT doesn't tell you something, nothing will.

And The First Nudie Musical was in the top fifty DVD sales when it came out.  What do you think that translated into, sales-wise?  Fifty copies or thereabouts.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #130 on: June 06, 2005, 02:32:39 PM »

DRs vixmon and Danise - Check your mailboxes.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #131 on: June 06, 2005, 02:38:55 PM »

OK... I'm heading out to dinner with some friends...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #132 on: June 06, 2005, 02:39:50 PM »

God love Al!  He irritates and amuses me, often at the same time, but I have great admiration for him.

I really had no use for Mr. Sharpton until he decided to run for Seantor from NY.  There was a field of 4 or 5 candidates for the Democratic nomination, and they had a televised debate.

The whole thing was a big mud-slinging match, with each one trying to emphasize some "scandal" in the others' pasts.  Until Al took the stage as the Voice of Reason--a shock to me--and asked if they shouldn't perhaps discuss The Issues.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: June 06, 2005, 03:04:26 PM »

...And at least it wasn't that arrangement of "Somewhere" that Barbra Streisand used on her first Broadway album... well, you know what I mean...  -And I still remember my jaw-dropping to the ground in disbelief when I saw Kiri Te Kanawa in concert, and she used that same arrangement.
My David Foster comment of yesterday. A truly dreadful arrangement.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #134 on: June 06, 2005, 03:08:23 PM »

FYI, for DR Vixmom,

PAAP

Plot: A police detective investigates a murder that was witnessed by a little Buddhist kid who must now be protected from the bad guys.

Starring these two people:

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #135 on: June 06, 2005, 03:16:01 PM »

Well, here I posted at long last, went and took my shower, and came back to no posts.  Makes me feel less like a Wussburger.

I have been catching up on the posts whenever I can--I don't like to post until I've read everything, and maybe that is a bad thing, but hey, it's my Protestant upbringing, I guess.  And it is much harder to find time at home than at work.  What does that tell you?  I'm off for the summer, and whenever I sit at the computer I see so many papers to file, bills to pay, that I just grab odd moments for hhw.  Which is the appropriate type of moment, I suppose.

Taped the Tonys last night and will probably watch them tonight.  I'm not bothered by having read all the spoilers here in advance, and this way I can zap the "vaginal bleeding" and other commercial messages.

The problem with reading all the posts late is that I want to jump into last Thursday's TOD and then forget it by the time I get to today.  Aaargh!

Hi, everybody!
--Wayland Flowers

MBarnum

« Reply #136 on: June 06, 2005, 03:18:20 PM »

Hi WFO!

Yes, it seems to be a slow afternoon (Pacifice Time) here at HHW...I think it was my Bollywood posts that did it....that subject is certain to clear a room.  :D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 03:18:56 PM by MBarnum »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2005, 03:26:29 PM »

FYI, for DR Vixmom,

PAAP

Plot: A police detective investigates a murder that was witnessed by a little Buddhist kid who must now be protected from the bad guys.

From that very simple description, it sounds a bit like "Witness" starring Patti LuPone (as Harrison Ford's sister ;)).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2005, 03:28:53 PM »

OK, so BELLS ARE RINGING was the first Columbia stereo OCR?

I know CANDIDE wasn't originally released in stereo. Isn't it in real stereo now? Is it the first?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #139 on: June 06, 2005, 03:39:19 PM »

From that very simple description, it sounds a bit like "Witness" starring Patti LuPone (as Harrison Ford's sister ;)).

And it very likely is a remake of witness....India is infamous for doing that....they even remade E.T.!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #140 on: June 06, 2005, 03:41:28 PM »

Hey, MBarnum!  I congratulate you on sticking it out through the entire Tony show--theatre neophyte that you are.  Now if I can get my Joe to watch the tape of it tonight.  Begging and pleading might help.  Hugh Jackman might help even more.  We shall see.
--Wayland Flowers

MBarnum

« Reply #141 on: June 06, 2005, 03:47:34 PM »

Hey, MBarnum!  I congratulate you on sticking it out through the entire Tony show--theatre neophyte that you are.  Now if I can get my Joe to watch the tape of it tonight.  Begging and pleading might help.  Hugh Jackman might help even more.  We shall see.

It was fun! It surprised me how much fun it was!

Hugh was worth the price of admission, I must say!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #142 on: June 06, 2005, 03:49:05 PM »

Old TOD, Poetry

Two of my favorite modern poets are Marilyn Hacker and Richard Wilbur (known to some of you as one of the lyricists for Candide, in particular of "Dear Boy")

Here is a Wilbur poem I committed to memory in High School.

Mind
          By: Richard Wilbur

Mind in its purest play is like some bat
That beats about in caverns all alone,
Contriving by a kind of senseless wit
Not to conclude against a wall of stone.

It has no need to falter or explore;
Darkly it knows what obstacles are there,
And so may wave and flitter, dip and soar
In perfect courses through the blackest air.

And has this simile a like perfection?
The mind is like a bat. Precisely. Save
That in the very happiest intellection
A graceful error may correct the cave.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #143 on: June 06, 2005, 03:51:57 PM »

And in honor of the Island of Long, here an example from Whitman that is a bit more characteristic than "Oh Captain, My Captain":

To a Stranger
                       By: Walt Whitman

Passing stranger! you do not know how longingly I look upon you,
You must be he I was seeking, or she I was seeking, (it comes to me as of a dream,)
I have somewhere surely lived a life of joy with you,
All is recall'd as we flit by each other, fluid, affectionate, chaste, matured,
You grew up with me, were a boy with me or a girl with me,
I ate with you and slept with you, your body has become not yours only nor left my body mine only,
You give me the pleasure of your eyes, face, flesh, as we pass,
you take of my beard, breast, hands, in return,
I am not to speak to you, I am to think of you when I sit alone
or wake at night alone,
I am to wait, I do not doubt I am to meet you again,
I am to see to it that I do not lose you.
--Wayland Flowers

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #144 on: June 06, 2005, 03:57:40 PM »

Last night, DR TCB wrote: "Jesse L. Martin's performance tonight was even better than I remember his work being in RENT."

Except his last note was god-awful: way off pitch. If you reocrded the show, go back and listen to the last note he sings past the end of the song. He's not on pitch AT ALL.

Yes I know, and it was still ten times better than his performance in RENT.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #145 on: June 06, 2005, 04:05:45 PM »

It seems like the "in memoriam" section of all the awards shows have gone downhill in the last few years.

At least you didn't say it died in recent years.

And the song Razzle Dazzle relates to Cy Coleman how?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #146 on: June 06, 2005, 04:14:50 PM »

It was fun! It surprised me how much fun it was!

Hugh was worth the price of admission, I must say!

You got that right! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #147 on: June 06, 2005, 04:17:46 PM »

I've just collected my mail.  Surprise.  A parcel containing Ann-Margret.  Thank you BK. Most appreciated. "A friend to me".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #148 on: June 06, 2005, 04:19:03 PM »

A reminder: Russell Crowe is from New Zealand. I'm not sure that they know about telephone etiquette there.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #149 on: June 06, 2005, 04:42:18 PM »

Taped the Tonys last night and will probably watch them tonight.  I'm not bothered by having read all the spoilers here in advance, and this way I can zap the "vaginal bleeding" and other commercial messages.

Good thing, then.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up