Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: STIR CRAZY  (Read 4557 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re: STIR CRAZY
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2020, 03:30:58 PM »

Today's shopping adventure was at Whole Foods. Not crowded, which helped. But a joke! The hot foods counters were closed, the salad bar was closed, no prepared foods at all. The bakery had 1/3 to 1/2 of its usual stock. The sandwich counter was open, but they had only two loaves of bread, both challah. No lettuce. No avocado. The produce aisles were fairly bare, as well, and NO carrots! (I especially wanted carrots.) Many of the shelves of staples were low. I had brought my reusable shopping bags, but was told that I'd have to pack them myself -- the cashier wouldn't touch them, even with gloves on. I don't mind packing them (it was only one), but it seems to me that some of these measures make no sense.

Have any of the officials who are making lockdown decisions actually tried going shopping recently? I support social distancing, but we need to find ways to do it sensibly. And we all still need to eat.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:36:49 PM by Jeanne »

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2020, 03:32:00 PM »

Will you be going in again?

As long as I’m healthy and we’re allowed to remain open
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2020, 03:33:31 PM »

Glad to hear that Vixmom's back at work and hope it continues.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2020, 03:34:00 PM »

Ate tuna pasta salad and finished the Woody book, which I recommend for a whole slew of reasons.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2020, 03:34:14 PM »

I didn't realize you were with a law firm.  I've been thinking you were in a better real estate office!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2020, 03:37:00 PM »

Annabelle's tired of my wiping her nose and she's avoiding me.  She did eat some dry food out of my hand and that cheered me up.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2020, 03:38:28 PM »

TTFN.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2020, 03:38:46 PM »

Today's shopping adventure was at Whole Foods. Not crowded, which helped. But a joke! The hot foods counters were closed, the salad bar was closed, no prepared foods at all. The bakery had 1/3 to 1/2 of its usual stock. The sandwich counter was open, but they had only two loaves of bread, both challah. No lettuce. No avocado. The produce aisles were fairly bare, as well, and NO carrots! (I especially wanted carrots.) Many of the shelves of staples were low. I had brought my reusable shopping bags, but was told that I'd have to pack them myself -- the cashier wouldn't touch them, even with gloves on. I don't mind packing them (it was only one), but it seems to be that some of these measures make no sense.

Have any of the officials who are making lockdown decisions actually tried going shopping recently? I support social distancing, but need to find ways to do it sensibly. And we all still need to eat.

From what I am reading about reusable bags I kind of understand that.  So far we can still take our bags in.  Keith usually packs them anyway.  We are also using a mix of plastic bags as they are still available here.  I am saving them for when the stores stop using them next year. 

I am sorry you found so little to purchase. 

Jane

« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2020, 03:40:18 PM »

Will you be going in again?

As long as I’m healthy and we’re allowed to remain open

Excellent.  It must be strange to be there all alone.  Is your boss still attempting to set things up to work from home?

Jane

« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2020, 03:42:03 PM »

Annabelle's tired of my wiping her nose and she's avoiding me.  She did eat some dry food out of my hand and that cheered me up.

I am glad she ate.  Having a cat with a chronic health issue is exhausting at times.  Our Bogie was the sick cat, yet he outlived his sister and the other cat close to his age. 

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2020, 04:10:09 PM »

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2020, 04:41:39 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uWYdU5weIxc&feature=youtu.be#dialog

This wasn’t the city I saw.

I was worried about you traveling there when you did.

John G.

« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2020, 05:01:55 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uWYdU5weIxc&feature=youtu.be#dialog

This wasn’t the city I saw.

I was worried about you traveling there when you did.

You weren't the only friend with those worries. I do thank you.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2020, 05:11:00 PM »

You are welcome.  And DR Kevin was slightly ahead of you with his travels.

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2020, 05:11:08 PM »

Welcome back, Dr cillaliz!

Thanks Kevin!

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2020, 05:12:13 PM »

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2020, 05:12:46 PM »

DR Cilla it is good to see you back.

Thanks Jane

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2020, 05:13:46 PM »

Safe from COVID-19 vibes for Cillaliz’s mom, my mom and all of us.

Thanks, vibes to all to stay safe.  If Prince Charles can test positive any of us can

Poor man is self-isolating at a royal estate in Scotland.

Well, there is that

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2020, 05:24:17 PM »

Cillaliz, I just went back and read that youR father died just a few days ago. I’m so sorry. I hope you’re at peace with it. were you able to get together with you family? Or had self-quarantining measures going into effect then? How is your mom handling it?

Thanks John.  It's a bit of a relief, but still sad.  Something told me to go visit him on Thursday the 12 so I did, he died early in the morning on the 13th, so I got to say goodbye. Because of the virus, we planned a private family funeral for the 18th and the only 10 people thing went into effect either the day before or 2 days before. He was the first post corona guidelines death at the funeral home so everyone decided to go through with funeral as planned. We will do a celebration of life sometime later.  We only had 15 plus the honor guard who stayed on the other side of the funeral home and then did the salute outside. So we only cheated a little.

My mom is handling it pretty well.  They've had in home care and the VA was in there all the time. Mom was totally stressed out over his condition and all the people coming and going, so there is a lot of relief for her.    She knew it was coming and he got to die in his sleep in his home.  It's what he wanted.   She has dementia too, so there's that, but she knows what is happening.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 05:39:22 PM by cillaliz »

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2020, 05:24:54 PM »

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2020, 05:26:14 PM »

Cillaliz, I just went back and read that youR father died just a few days ago. I’m so sorry. I hope you’re at peace with it. were you able to get together with you family? Or had self-quarantining measures going into effect then? How is your mom handling it?

DR Cilla, not too long ago DR John lost his father.

I didn't know that, sorry for your loss DR John. Hope you are at peace with it

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2020, 05:29:12 PM »

Welcome back, Cilla.  I am so sorry to hear about all your losses.

Thanks Vixmom.  It's been rough, but it's just life.  My sister was the big shock as she wasn't sick.  My dad was almost 92.  He had a great long life and passed the way he wanted to.  It's sad but a blessing.

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2020, 05:30:33 PM »

:-\I was the only one in my department alone in my little cubicle

Much safer than having everyone there.  Sad we have to think that way

John G.

« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2020, 05:31:44 PM »

Dad also had dementia. When he started to go, it was quickly, within five days. Mom was with him, holding his hand as he went. The last month he was in a nursing home, which was for the best. Mom, at 92, is too frail for the physical needs of keeping someone else.

She's hale and hearty, for the moment still living in their home by herself. But the loneliness is beginning to get to her, though she understands that being in assisted living is not the answer right now during this scare.
― Voltaire

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2020, 05:34:06 PM »

I am glad she ate.  Having a cat with a chronic health issue is exhausting at times.  Our Bogie was the sick cat, yet he outlived his sister and the other cat close to his age.

Callie needed meds 3 times a day.  She lived to be 14 and had a good life, with a few episodes from time to time.

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2020, 05:37:57 PM »

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2020, 05:43:50 PM »

Dad also had dementia. When he started to go, it was quickly, within five days. Mom was with him, holding his hand as he went. The last month he was in a nursing home, which was for the best. Mom, at 92, is too frail for the physical needs of keeping someone else.

She's hale and hearty, for the moment still living in their home by herself. But the loneliness is beginning to get to her, though she understands that being in assisted living is not the answer right now during this scare.

My dad never wanted to go to a nursing home, so we went the in home route.  They have a care giver who is there probably 4-5 hours a day and sometimes more.  Dad had a VA nurse and then was in hospice the last week.  Mom will still have Krista every day and Cory deep cleans twice a month.   Mom refuses to leave her house.  When the doctor asked what she'd do if she couldn't climb the stairs, she said "Crawl".   She still plays bridge and her friends say she doesn't remember much but is still a hell of a bridge player. 

cillaliz

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2020, 05:45:58 PM »

There are some amazing assisted living centers.  Hopefully when this virus passes she can find a place she likes. 

Jane

« Reply #148 on: March 25, 2020, 05:46:29 PM »

Safe from COVID-19 vibes for Cillaliz’s mom, my mom and all of us.

Thanks, vibes to all to stay safe.  If Prince Charles can test positive any of us can

Poor man is self-isolating at a royal estate in Scotland.

Well, there is that

;D

Jane

« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2020, 05:48:56 PM »

My dad never wanted to go to a nursing home, so we went the in home route.  They have a care giver who is there probably 4-5 hours a day and sometimes more.  Dad had a VA nurse and then was in hospice the last week.  Mom will still have Krista every day and Cory deep cleans twice a month.   Mom refuses to leave her house.  When the doctor asked what she'd do if she couldn't climb the stairs, she said "Crawl".   She still plays bridge and her friends say she doesn't remember much but is still a hell of a bridge player. 

I love the response "Crawl".
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up