Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SOMETIMES I STAND IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FLOOR  (Read 16021 times)

ChasSmith

Re: SOMETIMES I STAND IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FLOOR
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2012, 06:53:34 AM »

PAGE 3.

Kerry

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2012, 06:59:25 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR Cillaliz!
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2012, 07:15:09 AM »

Just spent thirty minutes trying to decide what the musical credits on the appalachian Christmas piece should be. That was an unexpected surprise this morning.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2012, 07:25:17 AM »

I think the worst Sondheim song I ever heard was something like "Crunch, Boom," which was replaced by "Last Midnight" in "Into the Woods." I heard it during the second or third preview, and when I returned to see the show just after opening the entire second act had been rewritten, not entirely for the better. But that horror of a song was gone. I remember Bernadette stamping across the stage as if squishing bugs under her feet. 
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2012, 07:45:21 AM »

Happy Birthday DR CILLA LIZ!!

And of course all kinds of vibes for your Dear Brother David.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2012, 07:46:12 AM »

So happy to see DR ARNOLDMBROCKMAN back where he belongs and to hear that he had a good time.

DR JOHNG congrats on your tome!!!

Continued show vibes for DR MATTHEW.....people with conflicts....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2012, 07:47:14 AM »

Yes, I will try to take a photo of Bethany in the new wig this evening - and thanks again to DR TCB for speaking out.

The new wig is SHORT, but it is more natural and becoming than the other one.....and more comfortable, I am told.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2012, 07:50:31 AM »

Why don't we ever discuss things like the worst lyrics Sondheim ever wrote? From the attitude of the "cult" and THE SONDHEIM REVIEW, wherein even the worst high school production of a Sondheim show smacks of High Art, I don't know how he had time to work in musical theatre, what with inventing the McCormick Reaper, digging the Panama Canal, and creating the world in six days! You just know those REVIEW editors believe he did it in five and took the last day to finesse things. ;)

Wow, I couldn't agree more with this post.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2012, 07:51:52 AM »

Well....many.....well....some of you may remember that my friend of more than 30 years - Vickie - was originally cast in the lead in THE CURIOUS SAVAGE.  She left the second week of rehearsals for health reasons.

Tonight is opening night!!!

I received an email from my dear friend this morning telling me that she learned that she does indeed have ....  cancer.  She is going back to the doctor today to learn what her course of treatment will be.

She asked me NOT to mention it to anyone in the cast or at the theater - and to sell her two opening night season tickets.

I told her I would certainly follow her wishes BUT that I would NOT sell her two seats.  I will give the curtain speech and look at that seat, and imagine that she is there.

So thoughts and prayers and vibes are requested for a really nice person who has had and continues to have a very POSITIVE influence on the lives of many people.

Matthew

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2012, 07:53:06 AM »

I think the worst Sondheim song I ever heard was something like "Crunch, Boom," which was replaced by "Last Midnight" in "Into the Woods." I heard it during the second or third preview, and when I returned to see the show just after opening the entire second act had been rewritten, not entirely for the better. But that horror of a song was gone. I remember Bernadette stamping across the stage as if squishing bugs under her feet. 

Yes, if you've ever heard "Boom Crunch" - it's 5 minutes of your life you cannot get back.  However, watching Miss Peters stomping across the stage is a close second.

I've never like "Last Midnight" as a song.  I get really BORED playing it.  Maybe it's because I've had to SOOO many times.  I just find it boring.  Also, besides professional theatre, no one knows what to do with the end.   Very anti-climatic. 

Matthew

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2012, 07:53:24 AM »

Oh, and I'm awake. 

Hello, Goodbye

Matthew

« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2012, 07:53:40 AM »

Off to camp.   

Matthew

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2012, 07:53:52 AM »

Maybe I'll try the Road I didn't Take today

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2012, 07:57:17 AM »

Here is a picture of Miss Vickie and myself from 1982....."backstage" at THE SOUND OF MUSIC....we were performing on an outdoor stage, and our dressing rooms were in the small barn....and our green room was the backyard.....

Vickie was wearing a lovely powder blue jumper....and my pants were the same color....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2012, 08:04:50 AM »

TOD - so many ....  so I will just mention the first one that struck me like a thunderbolt and gave me a new philosophy of life:

Some people sit on their butts.
Got the dream - yea-
But NOT the guts.

That's livin' for SOME people
For some humdrum people
I suppose.....

Well they can stay and rot, but not ROSE or

ME!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2012, 08:07:46 AM »

TOD:

Careful the things you say,
Children will listen....

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2012, 08:10:12 AM »

Color me confused:  In today's column, BK, you indicate your fence-sitting over the "plain" and "mastered" version of "Follies."  For several weeks, you have been telling us how much better the re-mixed songs sounded to you.   Are these not what make up the "mastered" version?

Why the indecision? 
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2012, 08:15:05 AM »

The new mixes sound great - it then goes to mastering, the final step and there the levels get smoothed out (when mixing, we have no idea if the levels match, so one song may be much louder than another) and the mastering engineer adds his own touch - which I talk about in the book.  In this case, I waffled between our plain new mixes without any additional stuff from the mastering guy versus his mastered version, but in the end both engineer and I felt he'd really helped - more depth, cleaner low end, etc.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2012, 08:15:30 AM »

I'm up and must be to storage in forty minutes.  I seem to have over four hundred e-mails.

John G.

« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2012, 08:18:32 AM »

Thanks, George and JRand.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2012, 08:21:20 AM »

Well....many.....well....some of you may remember that my friend of more than 30 years - Vickie - was originally cast in the lead in THE CURIOUS SAVAGE.  She left the second week of rehearsals for health reasons.

Tonight is opening night!!!

I received an email from my dear friend this morning telling me that she learned that she does indeed have ....  cancer.  She is going back to the doctor today to learn what her course of treatment will be.

She asked me NOT to mention it to anyone in the cast or at the theater - and to sell her two opening night season tickets.

I told her I would certainly follow her wishes BUT that I would NOT sell her two seats.  I will give the curtain speech and look at that seat, and imagine that she is there.

So thoughts and prayers and vibes are requested for a really nice person who has had and continues to have a very POSITIVE influence on the lives of many people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Vibes for the dear friend of our DR JRand61! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2012, 08:24:38 AM »

And another round of hell: the carton of orchestra parts shipped last Thursday to Dublin has been sittign in Dublin for three days with no delivery attempt.  So, I called Fed Ex and the problem is that the ladies in the Mail Room didn't tell me - or led me tobelieve they were covering the problem - a commercial invocie for a $500 value!

I've now been emailed a pdf and, once it's filled out,  I must go to Staples and fax thedamnedforms to Fed Ex.

The other package, Fed Extells me,was delivered today and signed for by a C.Larkin. The Dublin producers tell me they were out and missed the delivery attempt. WTF?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2012, 08:27:20 AM »

Yes, if you've ever heard "Boom Crunch" - it's 5 minutes of your life you cannot get back.  However, watching Miss Peters stomping across the stage is a close second.

I've never like "Last Midnight" as a song.  I get really BORED playing it.  Maybe it's because I've had to SOOO many times.  I just find it boring.  Also, besides professional theatre, no one knows what to do with the end.   Very anti-climatic. 

I've never understood in either stupid song, and i've seen them both, how the hell the witch gets her magic back when in Act one we're told that she lost it t become beautiful! I hate this show. THE FANTASTICKS tells the same story clearer and better and the score is superior.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2012, 08:37:09 AM »

Ah...a bit of Sondheim vitriole. 

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »

TOD:

I still don't know from Sondheim, the good or bad.

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2012, 08:44:34 AM »

Many, many vibes going out to DR JRand's friend.

MBarnum

« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2012, 08:45:01 AM »

and a double dose of vibeage to DR Cillaliz's brother! My his surgery be a success!

MBarnum

« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2012, 08:47:24 AM »

And also, a very, very happy birthday to the birthday girl, Cillaliz!

MBarnum

« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2012, 09:00:24 AM »

I was  very sad to wake up to the news that my # 1 favorite Bollywood star, Dara Singh passed away today at age 84.

It was news that I was expecting as he had suffered a cardiac arrest on July 7th and I had been following his progress, or lack of, in the news all week. Yesterday his family brought him home so that he could pass away peacefully with his loved ones nearby. Still, it saddens me very much. He was the person I most desired to meet when, and if, I ever get to visit India, and he is one of the main reasons I love old Bollywood movies so much, particularly the "stunt films."

Dara was a professional wrestler who became popular after starring in the hit film KING KONG (1962).

He made mostly action films, including some science fiction, sword and sandal, James Bond/espionage pictures, and mythologicals. Here is a look at some of them.

RIP Dara Singh saab.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up