Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: TOMORROW'S NOTES TODAY  (Read 80721 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:TOMORROW'S NOTES TODAY
« Reply #180 on: January 16, 2007, 01:41:10 PM »

For my Blu-ray movie of the afternoon, I chose BLAZING SADDLES. Warners struck this high def disc from the new transfer it produced for the film's anniversary DVD release a couple of years ago.

The main titles were gorgeous, very three dimensional looking (and the title song in 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus was superb.) But, I have to admit, my heart sank a little with the first shot looking like an ugly, grainy, noisy mess. However, immediately after that, the grain and noise went away, and I was left with a strikingly clear, clean, beautiful picture with strong color. (Only a couple of what appeared to be stock shots looked blown up to fit the Panavision frame.) Seeing it look this good really increased my enjoyment of this comedy, one I hadn't watched in many years.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 01:44:45 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Miss Karen

« Reply #181 on: January 16, 2007, 01:42:16 PM »

I like your choices Karen, I also like Van Morrison, Sheryl Crow, Enya and Nora Jones.

Ahhhhhh, Van, my fav -- Tupelo Honey, Wild Night, Domino, Moondance, Into the Mystic, Wavelength, Brown-Eyed Girl, Crazy Love -- oh, have you heard the CD he did with the Chieftains "Irish Heartbeats"? -- Star of the County Down.  And check out  John Mellencamp's version of Wild Night -- it's on his "Dance Naked" CD. I think I like it even more than Van's version (oh, strike me down, blasphemer).  My music tastes are most eclectic -- I love it all -- so that's why I couldn't just stick to 10 CDs.   And on any given day, it might be 10 different ones.

Miss Karen

« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2007, 01:44:07 PM »

Hey Elmo!   :-*

Matt H.

« Reply #183 on: January 16, 2007, 01:44:09 PM »

Page Seven Eeyore Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2007, 01:45:39 PM »

I also watched the "making of" documentary on the disc. Nice to hear about the genesis of the film.

Matt H.

« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2007, 01:48:39 PM »

DR DakotaCelt,

You asked last night about the Audrey Hepburn Collection on DVD. I could be mistaken, but I THINK the DVD of BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S that is part of that set is the older DVD transfer that's darker and contains dirt and debris in the print they used for the transfer.

I mean, if you don't have the film any more on VHS, the disc is fine as a substitute (and it's going to look better than tape regardless of which DVD version it is), but I did want to caution you about that. The older transfer doesn't have the special features on it that the newer one does.

Miss Karen

« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2007, 01:55:50 PM »

I sense "authority issues" here 8)
Perhaps some military training would help :)

der Brucer
You are indeed wise, oh great der Brucer.  I do have authority issues, although I like to think when it comes to music, it's just that I have eclectic tastes so I'm unable and unwilling to narrow it down to only 10 favorites.  And, trust me, military training would be the worst possible treatment.  Oil and water -- why, I'd be dishonorably discharged before I even hit the barber's seat for that buzz cut.... :P

Miss Karen

« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2007, 02:03:28 PM »

Whelp, enough chit-chat -- and I see once again that Elmo popped in and out without so much as a "how do you do" to me -- plus the dryer just dinged or pinged -- whatever that sound is -- and unlike all of you who can post, watch DVDs and TV shows, write books, mail packages, and eat sandwiches with Russian dressing all at the same time, I can only do one thing at a time, and for now that's laundry.  Adieu sweet princes and princesses.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2007, 02:09:16 PM »

Back from Fed Ex and the post office and some other errands and I'm all caught up.  Whew!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2007, 02:09:45 PM »

I'm eating tuna sandwiches for my meal o' the day and I don't care who says boo about it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2007, 02:10:25 PM »

Haven't decided whether to jog or not - they're shooting some stupid TV show or movie along my route and I will not change my route.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2007, 02:12:26 PM »

Perhaps this afternoon I'll give a jog a whirl.

And I have to say again, if there are stupider drivers than those in LA, I have yet to meet them.  LA drivers have their heads in the clouds - they simply have no idea where they're driving, how they're driving, or even why they're driving, other than they like to be seen in those humungous vehicles they drive.  And I could have sworn a law was passed that made the use of cell phones in cars illegal - or did someone give me some false information?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: January 16, 2007, 02:13:27 PM »

I also noticed a brand spanking new restaurant around the corner - called Tommy Ray's - already had a nice number of people inside - looks like yet another trendy "grill" as in Daily Grill.  I suppose I'll give it a try one of these fine days.

Miss Karen

« Reply #193 on: January 16, 2007, 02:16:49 PM »

I'm eating tuna sandwiches for my meal o' the day and I don't care who says boo about it.

How about:  :'(

(that stands for boo-hoo, Charles)

-- is that with Russian dressing or Thousand Island?

Miss Karen

« Reply #194 on: January 16, 2007, 02:19:15 PM »

Thanks for the "Walk of Fame" information George.  anyone can buy "fame" it seems! Sort of lessens the tribute to real "stars".

Indeed it does...

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #195 on: January 16, 2007, 02:20:27 PM »

Thanks for the "Walk of Fame" information George.  anyone can buy "fame" it seems! Sort of lessens the tribute to real "stars".

I believe DR Jose even had a star on Hollywood Boulevard. I lost my photo of it when my old computer crashed.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: January 16, 2007, 02:49:14 PM »

Heading down now to clean the living room.

WBBL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: January 16, 2007, 02:49:21 PM »

LIGHT THE FLAMING ZERO!
[/b]
Oh, God, I detest that actress!

On another demeaning note, the much touted news analyst Katie Couric will discuss at 6 whether husbands are obsolete.  What would Walter Cronkite think?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: January 16, 2007, 02:57:24 PM »

Actually, Ms Couric is on at 6:30.

The temperature has dropped drastically.  It is freezing in this apartment.  Perhaps winter will settle in for a while now.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #199 on: January 16, 2007, 03:08:42 PM »

And I could have sworn a law was passed that made the use of cell phones in cars illegal - or did someone give me some false information?

Yes, but....

CA CONSUMER INFO
New California law banning use of hand-held cell phones while driving takes effect July 1, 2008

Starting July 1, 2008, it will be illegal to drive in California while talking on a cell phone unless you use a hands-free device, like an earpiece that plugs into the phone or a wireless earpiece. If you have a walkie-talkie feature on your cell phone, you can use that while driving until July 1, 2011. But after 2011, you will need to use a hands-free device.

Under the new law, if you are caught driving while holding a cell phone to your ear, you will be fined $20 the first time, and then $50 every time after that. If you were using your cell phone to call 911, however, you will not be fined. Cell phone fines will not affect your driving record.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2007, 03:11:56 PM »

Interesting "American Idol" notes:

The producers say that of all the "audition" shows, the one EVERYone should watch is the one from Seattle on Wednesday night.  Apparently, it's the most appalling display of non-talent, tackiness and side-splittingly unbelievable auditions the show has ever had.

Sounds like MY kind of show!

And this season, something different is in the works for the finale!  Instead of ANOTHER ROTTEN NEW SONG being forced upon the finalists and us, "Idol" will have a songwriting contest and WE get to vote on which song we want the finalists to sing.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2007, 03:13:03 PM »

LIGHT THE FLAMING ZERO!
[/b]
Oh, God, I detest that actress!

On another demeaning note, the much touted news analyst Katie Couric will discuss at 6 whether husbands are obsolete.  What would Walter Cronkite think?

Probably better Ms Koric than Ms Walters.

der Brucer

Heck, I still miss Lowell Thomas!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2007, 03:16:34 PM »

"Idol" will have a songwriting contest and WE get to vote on which song we want the finalists to sing.

A patter song with FJL lyrics!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2007, 03:19:09 PM »

Anyone need a new avatar?

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2007, 03:25:08 PM »

Is that the mother of the grandlads?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2007, 03:27:10 PM »

Are they freaking kidding us with that comedy actor award for Alec Baldwin?

I think Alec Baldwin is terrific on 30 ROCK.  I was thrilled to see him win the Golden Globe.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2007, 03:28:11 PM »

$5,000 Reward Offered in Sexual Attack of Pit-Bull Puppy in New Jersey
Tuesday , January 16, 2007

A $5,000 reward is being offered in the search for a suspect Tuesday in a sexual assault of a 10-month-old pit-bull puppy in New Jersey.

Police discovered the dog, apparently sodomized by a local resident, Tuesday and notified the Associated Humane Societies of Newark.

…two women witnessed a man having intercourse with the dog but refused to get involved.

So, will Leno go the low road and do "Jesey Girl" jokes in tonigh'ts monologue?

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2007, 03:32:18 PM »

I agree. How else does a reader know if you're being sarcastic or facetious? Or, in my case, just plain rude.

der Brucer

It's okay.  We always know that you are being rude.

;)
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2007, 03:38:44 PM »

Interesting "American Idol" notes:

The producers say that of all the "audition" shows, the one EVERYone should watch is the one from Seattle on Wednesday night.  Apparently, it's the most appalling display of non-talent, tackiness and side-splittingly unbelievable auditions the show has ever had.

Sounds like MY kind of show!

And this season, something different is in the works for the finale!  Instead of ANOTHER ROTTEN NEW SONG being forced upon the finalists and us, "Idol" will have a songwriting contest and WE get to vote on which song we want the finalists to sing.

I should probably record this...Alexis, the daughter of my friend Margo, auditioned in Seattle but didn't make it past that point.  I wonder if they'll show her at all.  She is a good singer, but she's a theater singer more than a "pop" singer.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 03:39:17 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2007, 03:38:45 PM »

I will see my breath for several more months

Hmm, you might try mouthwash!
[/i]
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up