Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OPENING NIGHT 2: NIGHT AND DAY  (Read 21517 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:OPENING NIGHT 2: NIGHT AND DAY
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2006, 07:07:39 PM »

Tomorrow the floor guy returns to finish refinishing the hardwood floor so chances are I won’t be around much the next couple of days.  I will let Keith deal with the smell and the toxins.

MBarnum

« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2006, 07:08:14 PM »

After dinner we all went downtown and had a few drinks and played some pool at a "special interest" establishment. I bailed out at 9:30pm and headed back to Mark and James' house in West Linn where I spent the night because today I had to drive to Sherwood to take little Taylor to the movies and it just didn't make sense to drive all the way back to Salem and then back up north again in the morning.

Unfortunately Mark and James had quite a tiff and so things were uncomfortable in the morning as we drank coffee  :(

So I scaddaddled as soon as possible! LOL!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2006, 07:09:41 PM »

Jane, a Brasileira is a woman from Brasil (Brasileiro is a man from Brasil).

MBarnum
, yes, Astrud does indeed still do concerts.  I knew her late pianist Kimson Plaut quite well through the Brasil Usenet group.  He died very young and very unexpectedly a few years ago and is sorely missed.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2006, 07:10:36 PM »

Taylor and I went to see HOODWINKED. What a fun movie! I wasn't sure if it would be any good but I laughed my head off! It did a fine job of spoofing the old film noir and detective shows along with making fun of that matrix style of fighting and many other things. Good film for kids and still lots of fun for adults!

It is the story of LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD done RASHOMAN style. Very clever.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2006, 07:11:01 PM »

I wonder when we will get the matinee report.....
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

MBarnum

« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2006, 07:13:17 PM »

Wow, JMK, I would love, love, love (that is 3 loves) to see Astrud in concert! Maybe I will check out her website and suggest she should tour the Pacific Northwest...maybe have Yma Sumac open for her! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #156 on: January 15, 2006, 07:13:52 PM »

Yes, I always try to keep my pipes warm and safe from the cold! LOL!

vixmom

« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2006, 07:15:31 PM »

Taylor and I went to see HOODWINKED. What a fun movie! I wasn't sure if it would be any good but I laughed my head off! It did a fine job of spoofing the old film noir and detective shows along with making fun of that matrix style of fighting and many other things. Good film for kids and still lots of fun for adults!

It is the story of LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD done RASHOMAN style. Very clever.

From the commercials I thought it was an "adults only" movie a la South Park. Thanks for the correction, I shall have to oput it on oyur family viewing list if we ever get a chance to go to the movies..  The past few weekends we have been stuck inside while the Vixter works on term projects.  This weekend has likewise been kidnapped.  

Ben

« Reply #158 on: January 15, 2006, 07:15:33 PM »

I am now caught up! We are back from the Isle of Long and the Reach of Center. We had a delightful and restful time and woke up to snow, snow, snow. It seems to hit the Island harder than the city. There is a LOT of snow in Centereach. When we got out of the subway at 18th Street to walk back to the apartment there was very little snow in our parts.

We ate lots of good food, gave out our small souvenirs to Anthony's parents and we didn't watch anything. We showed pictures of our trip. I will try to post more this week but I begin Jury Duty on Tuesday and I don't know how long I'll be downtown.

Before dinner tomorrow Anthony and I are seeing a friend's show. I think I mentioned it on Friday before I left. We will be sleeping late and then heading to the theatre at 47th Street and Eighth Avenue. We will need to kill some time after the show since we will be out around 4 or 4:30 and dinner is not for another two hours. If it's as cold as it is today perhaps the answer is to go home for a while. We shall see.

Another theatrical landmark bar is closing. McHales, on the northeast corner of 46th Street will be closing some time this week according to Playbill On-Line. That block will undergo the same kind of overbuilding that will hit 45th Street, causing the closure of Barrymore's, Sam's, Puelo's, Puelo's Two, JR's, Frankie and Johnny's Steakhouse and other comfort locations. When will the developers learn that there are already enough tall buildings in the Times Square area?

I'm tired and I wanna go to bed. See some of you tomorrow! I'm very excited about that get together.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2006, 07:16:46 PM »

Elmoore, re:  handwriting charts.  I've told this story before (what else is new?  ::)), but it still kind of makes me laugh.

I was in a group of composers that had gotten a grant to write scores as part of an opera series, where we'd pair up with a different librettist, be given our subject, and then have to have a completed score (I mean written, notated and ready to perform) by the next day.  This went on for two weeks.

So of course all the composers were bitching about their software glitches (this was back when Encore was still the industry standard and most of us had that--some of us still do, LOL), and comparing different release versions, etc.  Except for this one guy who was (insanely, considering the time crunches) hand notating everything by pencil.

So we were in our peer review group one morning, and the computer people were all bitching about their software (as usual).  At which point I turned to John, the by-hand notator and asked:

"John, are you still using a Number 2 pencil?  You know, they've released an upgrade to 2.5."

Semi-hilarity ensued.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2006, 07:16:56 PM »

We could all meet in Portland to see MBarnum and JMK.

Jane, I am begining to think that you are wanted by the authorities in Washington state.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2006, 07:17:07 PM »

Have a wonderful trip DRGINNY and DHRICHARD!!!

And a safe trip north for DRJOSE as well.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2006, 07:18:05 PM »

After the movie I drove Taylor to Tigard and we visited the India Import store...Taylor was very popular with the two Hindu gals who worked there...they were dressed in beautiful sari's...and Taylor was quite take with all the bangles and jewelry so the younger shopkeeper helped Taylor pick out some lovely gold (colored) bangles/bracelets...6 in all, which made a lovely jingling sound, Taylor discovered. We also bought some imported India sweets and a shiny, colorful, dangly thing that Taylor spotted hanging from the ceiling.

I looked at some of the very fancy, expensive kurtas..the kind you would wear to a festival or a wedding...had to leave though, as I knew I could not afford such a purchase at this time...even though they were willing to give me a price break. Sweet ladies! I will have to go back there some time.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #163 on: January 15, 2006, 07:18:48 PM »

Bruce Kimmel brunching with The Bride of Frankenstein....I am intrigued.

DRCP - what show did you do with Miss Nancy Kulp?  Did you know she was in the military service in WWII?  She could also play a mean piano and sing better than you might imagine!  AND she was a friend of Miss Allison Hayes.

vixmom

« Reply #164 on: January 15, 2006, 07:19:29 PM »

Another theatrical landmark bar is closing. McHales, on the northeast corner of 46th Street will be closing some time this week according to Playbill On-Line. That block will undergo the same kind of overbuilding that will hit 45th Street, causing the closure of Barrymore's, Sam's, Puelo's, Puelo's Two, JR's, Frankie and Johnny's Steakhouse and other comfort locations. When will the developers learn that there are already enough tall buildings in the Times Square area?

Has there been any word of any of these places relocating elsewhere in the city or are all their owners folding their tents and moving south?

MBarnum

« Reply #165 on: January 15, 2006, 07:19:38 PM »

No package yet JRand55? I knew I should have sent it priority....I can't believe it is taking so long!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #166 on: January 15, 2006, 07:21:10 PM »

Every time DRJOSE mentions the Tidal Basin, I am reminded of Miss Fanne Foxe and Senator Wilbur Mills!!

Ah yes - those were the days!  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #167 on: January 15, 2006, 07:21:44 PM »

Nope MB, nothing yet - an NO mail tomorrow.  Maybe it will get here Tuesday with my Kurta!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: January 15, 2006, 07:23:23 PM »

Yes, I always try to keep my pipes warm and safe from the cold! LOL!

Keep that pussy warm, too!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #169 on: January 15, 2006, 07:24:18 PM »

Every time DRJOSE mentions the Tidal Basin, I am reminded of Miss Fanne Foxe and Senator Wilbur Mills!!

Ah yes - those were the days!  ;D

Hmm, must have been before my time!
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #170 on: January 15, 2006, 07:24:42 PM »

Ok, tomorrow is a holiday so tonight is another Bollywood movie..

APNE HUYE PARAYE (1964) starring the ever handsome Manoj Kumar and the always lovely Mala Sinha.

I believe this one is a murder mystery! With singing and dancing, of course.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: January 15, 2006, 07:25:10 PM »

The cheapest entree was 26 dollars! A simple salad was $10 and a cocktail was $9.

Shoulda made you homesick for New York! ;D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #172 on: January 15, 2006, 07:26:33 PM »

I was looking around EBAY - waiting for the remastered OBC SWEENEY TODD cd to be released, and saw the two album set with a libretto for 1.99....I bid and won!!  At least the print will be BIGGER!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #173 on: January 15, 2006, 07:26:37 PM »

Oh, and I see I won an ebay auction...that makes me quite happy!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #174 on: January 15, 2006, 07:27:18 PM »

Hmm, must have been before my time!

Yea...uh...mine, too....someone told me about it!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2006, 07:27:27 PM »

JRand55, LOL! We both won!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #176 on: January 15, 2006, 07:31:15 PM »

Ok, tomorrow is a holiday so tonight is another Bollywood movie..

APNE HUYE PARAYE (1964) starring the ever handsome Manoj Kumar and the always lovely Mala Sinha.

I believe this one is a murder mystery! With singing and dancing, of course.

Manoj Kumar looks to be a very attractive man.  However, if you are a fan of his, Michael, I assume he must be in his seventies by now.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 07:32:54 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: January 15, 2006, 07:32:31 PM »

Manoj Kumar looks to be a very attractive man.  However, if you are a fan of his, Michael, I assume he must be in his seventies by now.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Jane

« Reply #178 on: January 15, 2006, 07:33:36 PM »

JMK no wonder I was confused when I googled Brasileira ;D

TCB have you forgotten we plan to visit Washington in July?  Sorry to ruin your joke. :o

Jane

« Reply #179 on: January 15, 2006, 07:34:03 PM »

'night.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up