Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: BURNT UMBER  (Read 37892 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:BURNT UMBER
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2007, 11:48:38 AM »

Some frustrating news for the PROJECT RUNWAY fans among us.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2007, 11:49:52 AM »

My beloved goddaughter Charlotte and her friends at the Horace Mann school discuss HARRY POTTER!

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1562375&vid=156597

:)

*And I'm wondering just how many copies will be run as a "First Edition"?  And how soon those will pop up on e-Bay?  Or will the initial print run be so big, that "First Edition" really won't mean anything?
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2007, 11:51:58 AM »

Page Seven Dance:

This is from the Off-Bway show, SHOUT, which I'm listening to right now.  Purists of 60's music probably won't like it, but I'm finding the performances sort of sweet.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2007, 11:53:39 AM »

Some frustrating news for the PROJECT RUNWAY fans among us.

I had an inkling it would not come back till this fall.  I know the final "casting" didn't finish until a few weeks ago, and just doing the timeline, well...

However, with "Top Chef" and "Hey, Paula (Abdul)" ::) this summer on Bravo, there's enough reality TV to keep one occupied.  I think.  ;)

-Besides, once the new Harry Potter book comes out, no one will be watching TV anyway.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 11:55:31 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2007, 11:54:38 AM »

Page Seven Dance:

This is from the Off-Bway show, SHOUT, which I'm listening to right now.  Purists of 60's music probably won't like it, but I'm finding the performances sort of sweet.

...And they're currently looking for a musical director for the upcoming production in Rochester and elsewhere.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #185 on: June 14, 2007, 11:56:23 AM »

I am actually contemplating taking off a few days from work and hiding out at the beach to read the book when it first comes out.  I'm worried that it will be hard to duck spoilers reported in the news or on the internet.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #186 on: June 14, 2007, 11:56:50 AM »

TOD/WOD:  I have amative feelings for the following:

* Duruflé: Requiem
* Fauré: Cantique de Jean Racine

When I was in high school, we did the Fauré and when I was in college, we did the Duruflé.  I loved them both. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #187 on: June 14, 2007, 11:57:19 AM »

-Besides, once the new Harry Potter book comes out, no one will be watching TV anyway.

And I remember when the last book was released, walking through Central Park and people were curled up on benches, on the lawn, sitting on the rocks, all reading Harry Potter.  I'm betting there will be a similar scene in a few weeks.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #188 on: June 14, 2007, 11:58:35 AM »

OH!  And as for Shout - I loves me some Denise Summerford!  A true powerhouse voice!
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #189 on: June 14, 2007, 12:02:36 PM »

Does Denise Summerford sing the title song?  She's got me jumpin'!
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #190 on: June 14, 2007, 12:06:08 PM »

I am actually contemplating taking off a few days from work and hiding out at the beach to read the book when it first comes out.  I'm worried that it will be hard to duck spoilers reported in the news or on the internet.

I am worried about this, too, and alas, I think your plan is the only thing that will work!    :-\

Ginny

« Reply #191 on: June 14, 2007, 12:15:57 PM »

I just put myself on the reserve list for the new Harry Potter book on CD.  We've ordered 98 copies and I'm #118, so it'll be a while.  Love that Jim Dale!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #192 on: June 14, 2007, 12:26:39 PM »

HA!

Just watching Dr. Phil shut down the "Dr. Phil Scammers".  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: June 14, 2007, 12:45:42 PM »

elmore, I thought I was the love of your life?  Hah!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: June 14, 2007, 12:47:46 PM »

The first editions of the last few Harry Potter books are meaningless as first editions go - because the first edition print run was over 5,000,000 copies.  The first HP book in its original first UK edition had under 2000 copies printed, the bulk of which went to libraries and schools and it's why that one sometimes goes for twenty to twenty-five thousand bucks (although the HP market in firsts has dropped significantly over the last few years).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: June 14, 2007, 12:48:20 PM »

Had a nice time with the Kritzerland designer.  I think we're going to go ahead and reissue Classical Broadway.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: June 14, 2007, 12:50:15 PM »

elmore, I thought I was the love of your life?  Hah!

Words fail me!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #197 on: June 14, 2007, 12:59:06 PM »

Words fail me!

Don't let that stop you, though, from letting us know how you really feel!   ;)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #198 on: June 14, 2007, 01:12:29 PM »

I slept very, very , very well last night.

IT was night two of sleeping in an air-conditioned bedroom.

For all unfamiliar with the Bay Area of California, "central air" is not a "usual" feature of homes.  The "marine layer" is nature's air conditioning and is prevalent throughout the year.   Yes, we have hot days....hot weeks, even....but never for extended durations.  Folks are generally jiggy with waiting the heat out because the cool always returns.

That said, there are occasions when A/C is a necessity.

I live in a condo that has windows/balcony on the west side of the building...on the top floor....and my unit gets the full brunt of the sun until sunset.  When the marine layer rolls in, normally in the afternoons, it blocks the sun during the course of the afternoon when my unit would "super heat."

When a high pressure system prevents the marine layer from penetrating inland, I get that "super heat".  The only times that are bearable is when I'm getting an onshore breeze.  I can then open my front door and get a cross-current in effect, drawing out the warm air and replacing it with cool.

When offshore winds are the norm, we get heated wind off the valley/deserts....and THAT's when I need my A/C.

I have a window unit in the living room.  And about six weeks ago, I invested in a portable unit for my bedroom (it vents out the window).  I used it two days a month ago.  And I've used it this week.  The past two nights, I left it running all night.

And believe me, the difference between a cool room and a heated, oxygen-deprived room is STAGGERING.

(And you could only read about such things here on HainesHisWay.com without getting a sales pitch).

Ron, I have been thinking about getting one of those portable units, but the only other person I know has had one, hated it.  You said that yours vents out the window.  Do you have sliding windows or the regular up and down variety?  How long of a hose did your air conditioner come with?  The longest I have seen advertised is about four and a half feet.  That doesn't sound like allows you much mobility with the unit.  Does it?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #199 on: June 14, 2007, 01:13:54 PM »

Surely they wouldn't begrudge you a bouquet of man-in-the-moon marigolds!

Before or after the gamma rays?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2007, 01:31:41 PM »

It has again been raining off and on all day today. It has stopped for the moment. Of course, as we went to lunch, the heavens opened and we got drenched.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2007, 01:35:19 PM »

Got my friend's computer files transferred onto a CD for him this morning, but it was a little bit of a hassle since the old computer he wanted them off of used Windows 98, and it's NOT a very intuitive operating system. The old computer didn't have a CD burner on it either, so I was doing the transfers va floppy discs (remember those?)!

Matt H.

« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2007, 01:36:46 PM »

While we were waiting for our ride, we watched PLANET EARTH off the Blu-ray disc. I showed him the "Shallow Seas" episode which features some of the most astonishing underwater photography I've ever seen. He had never seen Blu-ray HD before, so he was very suitably blown away.

Matt H.

« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2007, 01:37:58 PM »

When we got in from lunch, I watched another episode of THE CLOSER, the one with the Japanese mother and child found in Los Angeles harbor. Some great performances in the episode, but one of the least suspenseful mysteries of the second season.

Matt H.

« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2007, 01:39:46 PM »

I ended my afternoon with the last ANGEL episode on disc 5 as Fred is being stalked through LA trying to escape capture by her former friends (who are under the influence of the "goodness goddess").

A late afternoon phone call of lengthy duration (a friend bored at work) prevented me from finishing it, so I'll do that when I go back to viewing later today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2007, 01:41:32 PM »

Good Afternoon!!!!

*Although, the ones that were just delivered to me were/are much prettier. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2007, 01:45:07 PM »

Cool review of the Creature CD!

A "muppet" though? I never thought that.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2007, 01:52:14 PM »

Ron, I have been thinking about getting one of those portable units, but the only other person I know has had one, hated it.  

TCB:  I can't for the life of me recall the brand/model of my unit, but it looks much like the unit below.  My window is regular up and down.  The hose was collapsed upon receipt but expands 8 feet.  Of course, it has to take a bend or two from window to back of A/C unit, so it probably won't expand beyond 5 feet from window.

You can put it anywhere you have a window.  It rolls around on casters.  But no, you can't just place it wherever you want and turn it on.

Some models have two hoses, but I've never read anything that said they did what the descriptions declared they did.

I went to a local ACE Hardware and asked the questions I needed answering:

1. Do you sell any other units than this model? (No)
2. Have any ever been returned, and why? (Yes.  Folks didn't like the fact that they had to empty the water from the unit after running it for about a week)
3. Have you ever had one returned because it didn't cool sufficiently based on the area it was designed for? (No.  We've sold these with success.  We warn folks it's for a room of no more than 300 square feet -- the model I got, that is -- and no more)

That information, plus a money-back guarantee should it not perform to my satisfaction and I paid my money and took my prize.

I am NOT disappointed, thus far
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #208 on: June 14, 2007, 02:00:37 PM »

Elmore, I have now e-mailed you my itinerary, such as it is.

Will you be contacting some of the missing in action HHWers such as DR Jason and DR TPunk so that we may get to see there lovely smiling faces whilst we are in NY?

If I lived in the Portland area and could fly JetBlue, I just might have booked a seat on MBarnum's flights.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #209 on: June 14, 2007, 02:01:08 PM »

"Je Vien De Loins"

"Disparue" which was this new-wavy pop song my French teacher played us in high school.

"Saperlipopette" by Clothilde

Lots of songs by Françoise Hardy

"Quand un amour Renaît" by Sylvie Vartan (that's a French version of the Left Banke's "Walk Away Renee")

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Up