Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MY BONNIE LIES OVER THE OCEAN  (Read 20464 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:MY BONNIE LIES OVER THE OCEAN
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2004, 01:56:14 PM »

I watched "Damn Yankees" on DVD this past weekend.  I have to say I find it dreary viewing...an amazing misfire by Stanley Donen, especially given the spirited filming he and George Abbott made of "The Pajama Game."

There were, to my mind, some terribly wrongheaded decisions to treat the songs as though the audience would react to them the way audiences did in the theater...replete with encores.  Oof.

It seems little more than an enormous "what were they thinking" curiousity of a movie compared to much, much better ones that preceded and followed.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2004, 02:03:05 PM »

In that book on Stanley Donen, seems like he mentioned that George Abbott didn't direct much of either movie, but that when he did have a suggestion, Stanley would follow it. Perhaps George wanted DAMN YANKEES to be more "stage-like" than THE PAJAMA GAME turned out to be.

I have the laserdisc of DAMN YANKEES, and I haven't watched it in quite a long time, but I don't remember having the same negative feelings about it. I think THE PAJAMA GAME is a stronger piece of material with better music. Also, the song added to the film of DAMN YANKEES is a dog of dogs, and I really miss the deleted ones. That's really the only "what were they thinking" moment I have had in the past while viewing the movie. But I may have a complete change of mind once I view this DVD.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2004, 02:09:56 PM »

RLP: There are many potential victims in Writer's Block and the victim is not necessarily a performer.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2004, 02:16:18 PM »

I like DAMN YANKEES - I saw it on television when I was little and was scandalized byt the title!  I remember liking it.  I have the video, but probably won't buy the DVD - I think I have only watched it once since I bought it.  Of course, if I get involved in a production of it....

I LOVE LOVE LOVE "The Pajama Game" - stage and screen versions....OBC and OST.

Yesterday BYE BYE BIRDIE the London cast was mentioned.  My London cast LP is on the Mercury Wing label and features Mr Peter Marshall and Miss Chita Rivera.  Was there another London cast album?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2004, 02:17:15 PM »

RLP: There are many potential victims in Writer's Block and the victim is not necessarily a performer.

Ah-HAH!  Quite right.  A key member of the production "team" is what he said....

Hmmmmm.

Nice play on names with Conrad Ballinger!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2004, 02:23:16 PM »

Yesterday BYE BYE BIRDIE the London cast was mentioned.  My London cast LP is on the Mercury Wing label and features Mr Peter Marshall and Miss Chita Rivera.  Was there another London cast album?

DRHRand54, I mentioned it yesterday in mentioning Goddard Lieberson:  the London cast album is now on CD from Decca Broadway.  It was originally on Phillips and my memory is that the exact musical cuts and adjustments made for the Columbia OBC by Lieberson were used on the London cast album.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2004, 02:24:04 PM »

Nice play on names with Conrad Ballinger!
We love you, Conrad!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2004, 02:32:14 PM »

Magazines: I subscribed to "Billboard" magazine in the 1970's. I still subscribe to the Sondheim Review.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2004, 02:40:27 PM »

Hmmmmmmm....how did the London Cast end up on the Mercury budget label?

I remember that of the OBC and the OST...that London album had some of my favorite versions of the songs.  The Telephone Hour was hilarious...and the Conrad...hmmmm....what was his name, I will ahve to check when I get home...was terrific...oh wait I think it was Jess Conrad...is there such a person?

Just checked....it was Marty Wilde!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 02:41:29 PM by JRand54 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2004, 02:53:36 PM »

Hmmmmmmm....how did the London Cast end up on the Mercury budget label?

I'm not sure of all the ins and outs of recording companies, but Mercury is now owned by Polygram, which owns Decca.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2004, 02:57:28 PM »

In the US the Brit version was on Mercury Wing.  I had it back then - one of the few instances of a London cast album making it to these shores (although there were many foreign My Fair Lady albums that seemed to find their way here).

I had a blast coming up with the names for Writer's Block - really fun.  And, of course, the fictional people are mixed in with some real-life people's names.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2004, 03:48:11 PM »

I think SHOW BOAT is considered to be the first book musical where most of the songs were an integral part of the book and not just dropped in for no purpose.  And OKLAHOMA! was the first intigrated musical where every song furthered the plot and the dance was also important in furthering the story and not just thrown in for entertainment.

By the way, some DRs mentioned that they read Variety.  I used to, but stopped about ten years ago when it stopped being about Show Business and became more about Show Business.  
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Danise

« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2004, 03:49:28 PM »

I thought about this post and realized, I'm jumping the gun.  Tomorrow is HHW's birthday!

I took it back--until tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 04:04:31 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2004, 03:49:36 PM »

In the spirit of that's what makes a horse race, I have got to say that DAMN YANKEES (which as a kid I pronounced as DAM-N YANKESS) remains one of my favorite movie musicals of all time.  On of the main reasons I loved it was because it was so very theatrical. It was probably the only movie musical, I can remember, that retained almost the entire Broadway cast, with the exception of Stephen Douglass.  Growing up in Tacoma, Washington, I had little exposure to Broadway theater, nor could I afford to buy OBC LPs, and the staged quality of the show was absolutely wonderful to me.  And then, of course, there was Gwen Verdon!  What a talent....what legs...what a STAR!

And it didn't hurt that Tab Hunter was one of my first crushes (at the tender age of eleven, or something like that)!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2004, 03:51:56 PM »

In the US the Brit version was on Mercury Wing.  I had it back then - one of the few instances of a London cast album making it to these shores (although there were many foreign My Fair Lady albums that seemed to find their way here).

I bought (used) the Italian and Spanish cast recordings of My Fair Lady (the Spanish cast having a very young Placido Domingo) and last year I got a CD of the 1964 Israeli cast recording...in Hebrew!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Danise

« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2004, 03:57:04 PM »

I really don't read magazines.  I don't have a  place to put them when I'm finished.  

Of course, when I was younger **cough** I bought Tigar Beat and the other teen magazines.  Just had to keep up with the doings of The Osmonds, David Cassidy, Bobby Sherman, etc.   :)

Good vibes to DR Elmore and his test tomorrow!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2004, 04:14:38 PM »

Danise

« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2004, 04:15:38 PM »

I received an e-mail that Sarah Brightman is coming to town.  I would have liked to go see her but then I saw the ticket prices:

Sarah Brightman: Harem World Tour 04
Saturday, Nov. 13, at 8 p.m.
$116.75, $76.75 and $46.75

Gasp!   :o  

I think I'll have to pass.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2004, 04:23:55 PM »

RLP: Buried within the description is "click here for other live recordings" -

Sounds like a bootleg to me, although the seller has given a catalog number for it.  Write him and simply ask him if this is an "official" release from LA Opera.  If he doesn't respond, the answer is obvious.  If he does respond he'll either say no or yes - if the answer is "yes" - I'd call the LA Opera offices and ask them.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2004, 04:55:49 PM »

"Farscape" fans:  Are there any more out there????

Did you see the four-hour "Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars" last weekend?

If not, it's going to be re-aired, in its entirety, on Sunday.

I loved the show, but I hated to see one of the main characters die.  

Was this new or reruns?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2004, 05:01:44 PM »

I am attaching a photo of San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, whom many of you will know by name as the first U.S. mayor to sanction/promote gay marriage.

And this is the talk of the town currently...the article first deals with Arnold Schwarzenegger, but gets much better as it reveals information from Newsom's wife who represented him at a gay pride function:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/10/20/BAG6O9CG5M1.DTL

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2004, 05:03:29 PM »

DRDANISE - I have seen Sarah Brightman in concert....went with someone, didn't buy the tickets on my own.  I have to say I don't like her type of voice much....BUT she did a nice job, put on a rousing show with a LOT of musicians....and she was FUNNY.

And when she sang "Another Suitcase in the Hall" - well I forgave her a lot things....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2004, 05:05:50 PM »

I would also say a 'bootleg' RLP - but the catalog number does give me pause....not fur and paws....but pause.

DRELMORE - and THAT'S how the OLC ended up where it was and is.  I may get that CD.....

My Original Soundtrack LP from LES UNS ET LES AUTRES just arrived and am about to put it on the record player!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2004, 05:10:18 PM »

RLP I do remember the story and seem to recall being told there was a follow up story years later which I never read.  Did you try searching on line?

Matt H, I also skipped most of the review.  I felt it was too telling and want to wait until I read the book.

Bruce, I’m not sure I should post a question, with names included, regarding the similarity in the death scene to an actual event.

I’m going to go see why TIVO failed me and didn’t record FARSCAPE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2004, 05:43:31 PM »

From the back of the Les uns et les autres LP.   8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2004, 05:55:58 PM »

Been listening to a few of the excerpts from the London Cast CD of Bye Bye Birdie!  Darn....I keep forgetting what a dynamite score it is.  What fun....so sweet....and so funny.  And the rock 'n roll numbers really rock!

We love you, Conrad, indeed!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2004, 06:17:11 PM »

Bruce, I’m not sure I should post a question, with names included, regarding the similarity in the death scene to an actual event.

e me the question first.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2004, 06:17:45 PM »

Now, might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  Sandra excluded, of course, since she is here.

Whaddup, dawgs?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2004, 06:31:28 PM »

Was this new or reruns?

ALL NEW -- tied up all the loose ends that were left when the series was cancelled one season early...and leaves the door open for more.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2004, 06:34:52 PM »

I think SHOW BOAT is considered to be the first book musical where most of the songs were an integral part of the book and not just dropped in for no purpose.  And OKLAHOMA! was the first intigrated musical where every song furthered the plot and the dance was also important in furthering the story and not just thrown in for entertainment.

DRWEL, there are book musicals much earlier with integrated scores, but  I believe SHOWBOAT is the first musical to expand beyond its parameters of a 1920s operetta and tell a rather epic story, with  themes and emotional undercurrents far beyond the scope of most shows of the period.  On one level, you've got the Ravenal-Hawks family epic of several generations of performers, on another a look at bigotry in the South, and on another a history of popular music from the 1880s through 1928.  Robert Russell Bennett in his bio makes mention of the fact that he tried to keep in his scoring a feeling of different musical styles.  The constant in all this is the Mississppii River, and no matter how far SHOWBOAT's characters roam, they all end up back at the Levee.

OKLAHOMA! is a better book adaptation by Hammerstein of someone else's source material.  SHOWBOAT sprawls as a novel, but GREEN GROW THE LILACS is a well written play and most of Hammerstein's work was pruning the text for songs and creating the character of Will Parker, who is only mentioned and never seen in GREEN GROW THE LILACS.  I really don't think Rodgers, Hammerstein, deMille, or Mamoulian thought they were breaking new ground, only following their instincts on how to maintain their integrity to Lynn Riggs' original play and be true to their characters.  What a surprise!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up