Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: BRAKE PADS  (Read 20276 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:BRAKE PADS
« Reply #210 on: July 26, 2005, 03:48:08 PM »

Coincidentally, someone just brought in posters to the office that says "Don't twist while holding a load."

You shouldn't sneeze while holding a load, either.

Woof!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 03:54:17 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #211 on: July 26, 2005, 03:50:21 PM »

HooRay!

UPS just delivered the Complete 2nd Season of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" DVD boxed set!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Michael

« Reply #212 on: July 26, 2005, 04:13:25 PM »

Wow so many posts!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #213 on: July 26, 2005, 04:14:35 PM »

To answer Matt's question about the oscar. I always heard it was heavier than it looked. So I was prepared. But it was still heavier than I thought it would be.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #214 on: July 26, 2005, 04:17:05 PM »

Finally got caught up with today's posts.  Wow, when this crew gets in Chatty Cathy mode... :o ::) ;D

Der Brucer is away taking care of the grandlads while his daughter and in-law are at a concert.  That leaves me with five of the dogs (der B took Fletcher with him) and pizza for dinner.  I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: the salad bar at the market is a great place to get veggies for pizza.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #215 on: July 26, 2005, 04:17:10 PM »

This is going to have to a quick good evening folks because we have a storm brewing with lots of thunder boomers.

I’m very sorry that I don’t have any pictures to share of the shuttle launch.  I was so hoping to get some nice ones from our 22nd floor at work but the blasted dust from the Sahara made everything so hazy, we couldn’t see a thing.  Drat and double drat.

I only hope that they come home as safe as they left.  

Yes, I will be in NYC on that Monday night and I was honestly wondering what I was going to do since the theaters are all dark that night.

I’m planning on a bit of sight seeing during the day.  I’ve been to NYC 3 times now and very been anywhere near  Ms. Liberty.  I thought I’d get up extra early and go have a look/see and at least spend the morning down around that way.

I also want to go see the zoo I missed the last time in Central Park!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #216 on: July 26, 2005, 04:19:16 PM »

To answer Matt's question about the oscar. I always heard it was heavier than it looked. So I was prepared. But it was still heavier than I thought it would be.
They say you should always look for melons and other kinds of fruits and vegetables that are heavy for their size.

No, wait, that's more of a Bette Midler reference, from when she won her two Golden Globes.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jason

« Reply #217 on: July 26, 2005, 04:29:17 PM »

Actually, that was me not Dan (the Man) who asked about the accent, but thanks for the info!  

I have another question:  Is is common to raise the key for someone (an understudy, even) who can sing it higher or do you think that they raised it because the key was otherwise too low for David Burnham?

I'll answer this one. Mr. Burnham's keys are actually the original keys - Mr. Morrison's were lowered to fit his voice.

I actually got to meet David after a performance back in May. He's a very nice guy and he is very handsome. We hung out in his dressing room while he changed out of costume. Jealous??

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #218 on: July 26, 2005, 04:35:39 PM »

I'll answer this one. Mr. Burnham's keys are actually the original keys - Mr. Morrison's were lowered to fit his voice.
Interesting. :)

I actually got to meet David after a performance back in May. He's a very nice guy and he is very handsome. We hung out in his dressing room while he changed out of costume. Jealous??
I'm not going to say yes, I'm going to say HELL YES!! ;) ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #219 on: July 26, 2005, 04:46:20 PM »

Okay, boys...take a cold shower.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #220 on: July 26, 2005, 04:48:31 PM »

Yesterday, one of my co-workers brought in a batch of tomatoes and fresh basil for the rest of us to share.

I took some home last night, making a stop at my local deli for some fresh mozzarella, and I threw together a nice Caprese salad.

I have enough left to make another tonight, but found that we still have more than enough tomatoes/basil left here in the office to take just as much tonight as we did yesterday.

Man!  I love this stuff!

Jed

« Reply #221 on: July 26, 2005, 05:15:24 PM »

If only they'd lowered them for the Seattle production, as well.  Fabrizio's high notes (can't recall the actor's name, and don't have the playbill handy) were the musical weak spot of the show at that point.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Michael

« Reply #222 on: July 26, 2005, 05:25:01 PM »

Here is a great web page on Prescription: Murder

with all the answers!

http://www.columbo-site.freeuk.com/murderplay.htm
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #223 on: July 26, 2005, 05:37:14 PM »

Back from meeting number two.  It could have gone one of two ways, and it went the good way.  So, we may have an upcoming singer recording project in the next few months.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #224 on: July 26, 2005, 06:08:47 PM »

I hadn't heard that, Pogue, about Oliver Twist being the thing that turned Rod McKuen's voice into that smoky rasp. If you do listen to his late 50's folkish LPs, he definitely had a cleaner voice. I wonder if he smoked. Dylan said he quit smoking for a bit, and that's how he was able to change his voice for the Nashville Skyline, "Lay Lady Lay" period.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #225 on: July 26, 2005, 06:10:21 PM »

DR Jose, perhaps we can have a liquid refreshment at one of them thar "special interest" establishments when I come to New York.

Be careful, Michael!  I understand that Jose's bedroom has been reclassified as one of those "special interest" establishments.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #226 on: July 26, 2005, 06:31:21 PM »

DR Hisaka thank you for the name of the farm.  My initial search only showed a soy farmer but I shall look a bit more later.

MBarnum I agree with elmore you should have watched OKLAHOMA.  Please don’t pass on it because you didn’t care for CAROUSEL.  

Jason are you feeling better?

Jane

« Reply #227 on: July 26, 2005, 06:33:51 PM »

Jed CONGRATULATIONS!

Jane

« Reply #228 on: July 26, 2005, 06:42:43 PM »

Jennifer is your aunt okay?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #229 on: July 26, 2005, 07:01:14 PM »

Good Evening!

WOW!!!

My head is spinning.  And not because I had an adult beverage or two.  Although that might help right now...

However, it's all good.

Decisions, decisions...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #230 on: July 26, 2005, 07:05:57 PM »

While I am in NY I will be staying at the very, very small Washington Jefferson Hotel.  http://www.washingtonjeffersonhotel.com

There is a good chance I will be recreating Danise’s experience with the Midway, meaning small and no bathtub.  The hotel looks nice and clean and appears to be only a five minute walk to the Comfort Inn.  I tried to get as close as possible.  It was frustrating the Comfort Inn, and most hotels I checked, were available for every night I need, except one.  

For those who might want this info:

Washington Jefferson Hotel
318 West 51st Street
212-246-7550

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #231 on: July 26, 2005, 07:09:57 PM »

DR George - with my "apologies" to DR Dan (the Man)... As DR Jason pointed out, Fabrizio's music was lowered for Matthew Morrison.

And unless there's a star coming into a show, it is very rare that a song or songs will be lowered - or higher-ed - for a certain performer.  The copyist fees really add up.  However, with most copyist's using computer software nowadays, the turn around time for transpositions is a matter of minutes rather than hours.  But, still, since copyist's charge by the page - and sometimes by the measure... multiply by that the number of players in a pit...  It really does add up after a while - even for just one song.

As for the Seattle run of Light in the Piazza, Fabrizio was played by either Stephen di Pasquale or Wayne Wilcox (who I just worked with at Vassar).  -And the Clara for both productions was Celia Keenan-Bolger.  And she was replaced when the show came into New York, however, she got into Spelling Bee - and landed a Tony nomination too!

-Don't you just love happy endings?

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #232 on: July 26, 2005, 07:13:04 PM »

...And I think the last show that regularly customized songs for replacement performers was A Chorus Line.  In one of those books about the show, there is a mention of how the music librarian was always on his/her toes.  And after working with Fran Liebergall, the music supervisor for the show, she confirmed that there were nights when none of the solos were in their original keys!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 07:13:59 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #233 on: July 26, 2005, 07:36:07 PM »

DR George - with my "apologies" to DR Dan (the Man)... As DR Jason pointed out, Fabrizio's music was lowered for Matthew Morrison.

No problem at all--I found the information interesting in any case.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jed

« Reply #234 on: July 26, 2005, 07:43:39 PM »

As for the Seattle run of Light in the Piazza, Fabrizio was played by either Stephen di Pasquale or Wayne Wilcox (who I just worked with at Vassar).  -And the Clara for both productions was Celia Keenan-Bolger.  And she was replaced when the show came into New York, however, she got into Spelling Bee - and landed a Tony nomination too!

-Don't you just love happy endings?

:)

Yes, Celia was excellent.  Still can't remember which of those guys was Fabrizio, but I still say his high notes were the musical weak spot (particularly in "Passagiatta").
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #235 on: July 26, 2005, 07:59:26 PM »

It's after 11 p.m. here and still 85 degrees. This day is one for the record books. It did get to 100 today according to tonight's weather report.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #236 on: July 26, 2005, 08:00:28 PM »

HooRay!

UPS just delivered the Complete 2nd Season of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" DVD boxed set!

I get mine tomorrow. I am SO looking forward to these after such a long time since Season 1 was released.

Matt H.

« Reply #237 on: July 26, 2005, 08:04:36 PM »

I could never audition for Mike in A CHORUS LINE because the key the song is in, I suppose, is Wayne Cilento's original key which was too high for my voice. So, I made do with Greg and Don.

Matt H.

« Reply #238 on: July 26, 2005, 08:06:53 PM »

Well, I love CAROUSEL, and I think Gordon MacRae's performance is the finest on record and easily the best one I've ever seen. I did not see Raitt at Lincoln Center (though I have the cast recording), but I did see the most recent revival, and Michael Hayden just didn't do it for me AT ALL.

Matt H.

« Reply #239 on: July 26, 2005, 08:11:10 PM »

Well, EMPIRE came to a close tonight with Octavius SPARING Marc Antony's life, not a sign of Cleopatra anywhere, and no climactic sea battle. (In fact, Antony's legion turned on him and joined Octavius midway through the final battle.) The fates of the assassins including Brutus and Cassius were not revealed other than showing Antony taking them prisoner.

Not enough historical fact in this series to fill a thimble, but the men were very attractive. That's the most praise I can give it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 08:11:50 PM by Matt H. »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up