Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NEW ENTRY  (Read 11366 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE NEW ENTRY
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2011, 03:57:25 PM »

And push it some more.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2011, 03:57:45 PM »

On to Page Four.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2011, 03:59:40 PM »

T.O.D.

I believe I know sixteen or seventeen of the actors nominated for Oscars.  And if I don't know every film nominated is it really the Academy's fault; or is it my own fault?  Like most things in life, the Oscars, and the movie industry itself, is very cyclical.  There have been many periods over the past 50 years or so in Hollywood; where I have found myself puzzling over the question, "Who nominated this crap?"

But even during those periods when I have felt out of touch with the industry, I have always continued to watch the Oscars.  To me, they are one of the few remaining glimmers of the Hollywood that used to be.  So, I will continue to shake my head when Rob Lowe dances with Snow White or when The Theme from SHAFT wins Best Song of the year; but I will still be glued to my TV set every year.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2011, 04:01:17 PM »

Vibes to JohnG and Elmore.

JohnG, I think Ralph's Fourth would also suit your mood, at least the first movement.

Elmore, have you seen this great (IMHO) production of ELEKTRA from Baden Baden with Linda Watson?
That was yesterday's listening. I have this wonderful collection of Leonard Slatkin conducting all of his symphonies and a few extras. Good set.

Previn also does surprisingly well with the Symphonies.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

John G.

« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2011, 04:02:47 PM »

T.O.D.

I believe I know sixteen or seventeen of the actors nominated for Oscars.  And if I don't know every film nominated is it really the Academy's fault; or is it my own fault?  Like most things in life, the Oscars, and the movie industry itself, is very cyclical.  There have been many periods over the past 50 years or so in Hollywood; where I have found myself puzzling over the question, "Who nominated this crap?"

But even during those periods when I have felt out of touch with the industry, I have always continued to watch the Oscars.  To me, they are one of the few remaining glimmers of the Hollywood that used to be.  So, I will continue to shake my head when Rob Lowe dances with Snow White or when The Theme from SHAFT wins Best Song of the year; but I will still be glued to my TV set every year.
I liked "Shaft" when it came out. Good song for the times. 'Cause that Shaft is a mean mother--

Shut yo mouth.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2011, 04:05:11 PM »

JohnG, I think Ralph's Fourth would also suit your mood, at least the first movement.

Elmore, have you seen this great (IMHO) production of ELEKTRA from Baden Baden with Linda Watson?

I have not, but ELEKTRA is not an opera I'm dying to watch in various productions. Endless hogcalling, and not nearly so much fun as SALOME. The old film verson with Leonie Rysanek is the only video I have of the piece. I will check it out, though, since you like it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 04:14:31 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2011, 04:06:36 PM »

T.O.D.

I liked "Shaft" when it came out. Good song for the times. 'Cause that Shaft is a mean mother--

Shut yo mouth.

Yes, and I actually liked Eminem's Oscar winnning song, as well.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JMK

« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »

Today's semi-rhetorical question:  Why are some people so humorless?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Danise

« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2011, 04:10:06 PM »

Hi all!

We just went though a very bad storm. 

I just made it to the front door when all heck broke loose.

BOOM!!!!!!!!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2011, 04:11:42 PM »

Today's second semi-rhetorical question:  Why do some people try to insert their need for control when it's completely misplaced?

Case in point:  the church I work for has approximately 20 handicapped parking spaces.  Due to my chronic pain issues, I was "assigned" one by a door, despite my not having a tag, that requires a key to get in, i.e., no "visitors" would use that space anyway.  This is a private parking lot and we are able to do what we wish with all spots.  I got outside today and there was an irate lady boxing in my car.  She had a large yellow looseleaf pad and was on the SECOND page of a handwritten rant she was going to leave on my car.  She became very aggressive.  I pointed to the approximately 15 other handicapped spaces (all vacant) within view, all of which were by the only door she could have gotten into without a key.  I also explained we were a private parking lot and I was an employee with permission to park in this spot.  She was having none of it.  I went back in and spoke with our ever calm Executive Director who told me not to worry about it.

KevinH

« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2011, 04:13:40 PM »

I haven't seen any of the nominated films.  

Once again, Ms. Streisand has been snubbed!  She should have been nominated for Little Fockers.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2011, 04:15:19 PM »

It's my opinion because they are so damned stupid.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2011, 04:16:40 PM »

Today makes 6 years that I have owned my very dear Bonny Blue.   
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2011, 04:20:12 PM »

I have mentioned this before, but Kaye Ballard did a hilarious "recitation" of the Theme from Shaft on the Tonight Show after it won the Best Song Oscar.

Danise

« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2011, 04:23:10 PM »

A very,

to Dear Juliana!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

John G.

« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2011, 04:28:12 PM »

'Cause.
― Voltaire

JMK

« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2011, 04:36:04 PM »

I have not, but ELEKTRA is not an opera I'm dying to watch in various productions. Endless hogcalling, and not nearly so much fun as SALOME. The old film verson with Leonie Rysanek is the only video I have of the piece. I will check it out, though, since you like it.

It's not my fave, either, but this new production is pretty shattering.  You can see some screencaps on my review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Strauss-Elektra-Blu-ray/19402/#Review

John G.

« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2011, 04:43:09 PM »

The mention of Kaye Ballad let me to discover this gem on YouTube of her and Arthur Siegel singing Yip Harburg, someone who needs his own Kritzerland album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JdC0UXmd6o
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2011, 04:44:45 PM »

Today's second semi-rhetorical question:  Why do some people try to insert their need for control when it's completely misplaced?

Case in point:  the church I work for has approximately 20 handicapped parking spaces.  Due to my chronic pain issues, I was "assigned" one by a door, despite my not having a tag, that requires a key to get in, i.e., no "visitors" would use that space anyway.  This is a private parking lot and we are able to do what we wish with all spots.  I got outside today and there was an irate lady boxing in my car.  She had a large yellow looseleaf pad and was on the SECOND page of a handwritten rant she was going to leave on my car.  She became very aggressive.  I pointed to the approximately 15 other handicapped spaces (all vacant) within view, all of which were by the only door she could have gotten into without a key.  I also explained we were a private parking lot and I was an employee with permission to park in this spot.  She was having none of it.  I went back in and spoke with our ever calm Executive Director who told me not to worry about it.
And you shouldn't worry about. Her soul, perhaps. Her blood pressure, definitely. But not the incident.
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2011, 04:44:55 PM »

And...

Good Evening!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2011, 04:45:38 PM »

Happy Birthday, Juliana!
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2011, 04:46:34 PM »

The wind has been wreaking havoc with my Internet connection today. I have posted several items (or thought I had) and they didn't post. It's also happened with trying access e-mail, other sites, etc.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2011, 04:47:07 PM »

We're zipping through page 4.
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2011, 04:49:54 PM »

Vibes for DR JohnG's mom. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laura

« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2011, 04:50:59 PM »

Imagine how many more posts we'd have if I had gone for a walk today.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2011, 04:59:03 PM »

Today's non-spoiler:

1.  Soylent Green is people.

Don't tell Craig that! :)

Jane

« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2011, 05:00:24 PM »

Mom had surgery this morning to repair a hernia. She's home, and the doctor told Dad it went well, but she's in a tremendous amount of pain and I'm sure she won't take a pain pill until the pain gets unbearable, which means waiting that much longer before the pill begins to work.

Your poor mother.  Tell her reducing the pain to begin with reduces the length of time the pain lasts.

Jane

« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »

Richard and I went on an errand today that I thought would never happen - we went to pick up Rob's restored car from the body shop!  Of course, it needs some kind of official inspection before it can be driven, so it will sit in the garage until the *first* available appointment - a week from tomorrow.  That means that it will have been 3 full months that I've been without my own car - assuming Rob's passes the inspection...

Vibes his car passes inspection!!!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2011, 05:04:53 PM »

So...

I just threw out some 3-year old chocolate. -It was actually starting to leak from the wrapper. :\
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2011, 05:04:59 PM »

I spent quite a bit of time today looking for the two books about my father, which the French journalist needs, and of course they seemed to be the only two books missing from the new house.  Finally went out into the garage and discovered one last box I hadn't unpacked and lo and behold, and also behold and lo, they were in there.

Jane, tell Keith the French genealogist is having the same issues finding out anything about Jacob and Hyman.  ;)

I shall & I'm glad you found the missing books.

I want to got to that market again & get almond cake. :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up