Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MAIDS  (Read 20942 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE MAIDS
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2003, 12:07:15 PM »

Good morning... I mean, Good Afternoon!

WOWZA!  Yes, I planned to sleep in today, and boy did I sleep in.. until 12:43 p.m.!  *I've been a little sniffly the past couple of days, and there's been quite the cough going around the orchestra pit at Camelot - rest and sleep are very good things.  -And since I didn't get to bed until 3:30 a.m. anyway...

Well, I got up, and headed downstairs to check in on my niece and nephew.  My niece still starts to cry everytime I get near her, but my nephew is still as lovable as ever.

Breakfast consisted of more of those chocolate chip cookies my brother made last night... some eggs and bacon... some halvah (the marbled type with chocolate - love it!)... and some more cookies.  Welcome to the holidays!  *Can you guess what one of my New Year's Resolutions will be?  ;)

Then I was a "good son", and emptied out the dishwasher, loaded the dirty dishes, made some coffee, cleaned the various pots and pans that were still out, etc...  Oh, and read the Post while sipping my morning/afternoon coffee.

Next topic...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 12:07:41 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Diane

« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2003, 12:07:17 PM »

Matthew: Its going to be mild..Highs in the mid 40's to lows in the high 20's. Nice most days..possible rain on the 30th =-D
I LOVE A Piano....

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2003, 12:08:03 PM »

Hurricane Hugo hit here full force in 1989, and let me tell you it was an eye-opening experience. We had people without power for three weeks, and as Charlotte is loaded with lots and lots of tree-lined streets (featuring tremendous old water oaks) most of the streets were impassable due to fallen trees and pwoer lines. Horrendous damage, and I missed 10 days of school because there was no power.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2003, 12:10:27 PM »

Good thoughts from OZ to your friend Laura II.
Favourite Christmas: Traditional- "Once In Royal David City" Song the Nat King Cole version of Torme's "Christmas Song".
Australian Paul Kelly's "How To Make Gravy" (a moving song by a prisoner to his family).
Also like Enya's "Silent Night..

Magnus & Fosca were most pleased to hear the joyful news Jay.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2003, 12:11:52 PM »

Thanks DR Diane!!!   :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2003, 12:12:29 PM »

What a lovely full room of Hainsies/Kimlets!  That's what I'M talkin' about.  From what I've read there are still no reports of damages.

MBarnum

« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2003, 12:19:22 PM »

What a lovely full room of Hainsies/Kimlets!  That's what I'M talkin' about.  From what I've read there are still no reports of damages.

Damage from the Hainsies/Kimlets? Or the earthquake? LOL!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2003, 12:20:18 PM »

I have always wondered how all those beautiful glass and porcelain antiques in all of the antique shops in LA withstand the earthquakes! I always amazes me that any breakables are still around in that area!
It's even more fun around the liquor stores.  The winos don't know whether to cry or simply breathe in deeply!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2003, 12:20:28 PM »

JRand53,  I have a peculiar Keith Michell record called Keith Michell, Songs of My Time and on the flip side, it is Keith Michell in his Henry VIII regalia and it's called, Henry VIII, Songs of his Time.  Haven't played it in years, though I remember Fie Nay Prithee John...which was a round that went "Fie, nay, prithee, John, do not quarrel man, let's be merry and, sing a song!"

We actually have two copies of this album, because back in college I had given the lovely wife, Julieanne (before she was the lovely wife), a copy of it as well, so we now have two in the house. I may have to play this thing.

I, of course, do have a more conventional Michell recordings...Him in Irma La Douce and his complete version (play and all) of Man of La Mancha with Joan Diener.

For those younger readers, Mr. Michell played Henry the Eighth in THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII, one of the great mini-series of our times.

I did not feel the earthquake at all here in Hollywood, BK.  I think you are in the same building as my business manager (who's like up on the 21st floor); no wonder he hasn't returned my phone call yet.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 12:25:00 PM by Charles Pogue »

Diane

« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2003, 12:24:07 PM »

Matthew: You are quite welcome!
I LOVE A Piano....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2003, 12:24:17 PM »

Favorite Christmas Songs:

All time favorite is "The Christmas Song" - almost anyone's version, but I really like Nat King Cole, Rosemary Clooney and/or Tony Bennett.

Nostalgic favorites are "The Christmas Waltz" and "The Jingle Bell Polka" since they were the first two pieces of vintage Christmas music that I came across.  The polka always made me giddy - and when I finally heard a recorded version playing on the radio, I burst out laughing.

Classic carols:
"The Coventry Carol" (Lully, lullay) - Just so beautiful.
"Angels We Have Heard on High" - Many happy memories of singing the descant as a boy soprano.
"The Boar's Head Carol" -More as a curiosity - I just remember thinking "What is this?" when I heard it on SNL many, many years ago sung by the Whiffenpoofs (I think) - while they flashed funny captions underneath some of the singers' faces.
"Gesu, Bambino" - Always magical to me when "Venite adoremus" starts to be sung over the melody.
"Carol of the Bells" - I had a tape of Christmas songs when I was nine-years olds... and I would play this song over and over again... I wore out the cassette.  -Remember cassettes? ;)

DR George - The version I heard of "The 12 Steps of Christmas" was sung by a male folk singer - sounded like a live recording - lots of audience laughter in the background.  However, I would love to hear Janet Metz perform it!  I have no doubt that she could get the song across.  >:( :o :P :-X
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2003, 12:27:58 PM »

Re WEL's link to the European Connie Francis concert. If this is a reissue or a first USA issue of the concert disc I heard about 5 years ago, DON'T go there. Very sad. And I am a Connie Francis fan. Look for her Buddy Holly tribute album instead.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2003, 12:29:41 PM »

Yes - What a wonderful room/board full of H/Ks!

-Oh, family portrait update... After getting up early yesterday - well early for me - and schlepping to the mall, and getting five poses taken, only one(!) shot came out good enough for public distribution.  My mom didn't bring back the other shots, but I had a feeling there wouldn't be much to choose from - plus, they only took two shots of each of the five poses - ???  And even the one keeper has a strange "tilt" to it.  Due to the angle of our bodies, there's this kind of optical illusion happening - it looks like the right side of the pic is leaning to the right.  Ah, well... At least the sitting was free - they had a coupon, and the very nice attendant gave my mom a free sheet of pics.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2003, 12:31:26 PM »

And I just heard the report about the earthquake in LA over NPR - they didn't mention any damage reports either.

I've never been through an earthquake, but my brother, Jay, who moved out to LA about five years ago, has been through some minor ones.  -And I missed the one we had in Richmond two weeks ago.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2003, 12:32:21 PM »

Oh, and DR Tomovoz - The "English singer" I mentioned is technically a Scotsman...  -Fill in your own kilt joke here. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2003, 12:33:29 PM »

DR ladodgerjon - Beautiful pics.  The wonder and the beauty... and the Hope.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2003, 12:37:45 PM »

DR Jay - So glad to hear that Roller is on the mend!  My only experience with a pet was kind of unfortunate - when we lived in Seattle, we had a poodle named Princess, who was anything but.  She always seem to dig under the fence, and she would bite various people - adults and children.  My parents eventually just sent her to a shelter - where, apparently, they found that she had rabies.  But... there are some pets of friends that  I adore!  -I guess I'm still "scarred" from my own experience.  However, I would love to have a dog again, but with my crazy schedule, I would never be able to properly care for him/her, and that would not be good.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2003, 12:38:45 PM »

OK - I think that's enough for me for right now... I have to run some errands before heading in for the show later - in just a few hours.  Keep the home fires burning!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2003, 12:48:51 PM »

Thank you, Dear Readers Tomovoz and Jose.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jason

« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2003, 12:51:37 PM »

Oh my goodness...I didn't realize I was so close to hitting 200 posts! I will do my best to NOT do vanity posts, but I can't promise anything...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2003, 12:52:14 PM »

Having Won Ton Soup from P.F. Chang's.  Very warm and lovely and low-cal.

Jason

« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2003, 12:56:02 PM »

Who here celebrates Kwanza? I don't. But perhaps some of you do...

Andrea

« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2003, 12:57:36 PM »

DR ladodgerjon - Beautiful pics.  The wonder and the beauty... and the Hope.

Agreed... I'm absolutely smitten. And I have to agree with the person (I forgot who), who said that  he was a most attractive baby. Cause he is:)

I'm being festive in my home. Woke up at around noon after a late night watching the movie "Elf" with my darling friend Alexandra (Emily, please refrain from comments-- Alex is a lovely person!).  Since noon I have done nothing but eat truffles and mini oranges and do some cleaning.

My darling, darling mother, also decided to clean up her closets. While cleaning, she found a half full bottle of sherry and a full bottle of cherry brandy. This woman (whom I adore and admire) waved me towards the kitchen to get some glasses and then proceeded to tell me to pour both of us a "wee" bit more. Then we started on my peach snapps. The world really is a wonderful place!

Jason

« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2003, 12:58:13 PM »

Speaking of natural disasters, I lived in Oklahoma City for two years and never once saw a tornado. We had a few close calls, a lot of hail and sideways rain, green skies and golf-ball sized raindrops, but no actual tornados. All that other stuff was plenty for me...I was glad to get out of there.

Jason

« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2003, 01:02:22 PM »

OK...I gotta do it. Please forgive me...

#200!!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #115 on: December 22, 2003, 01:14:35 PM »

Not only did Keith Michell play Henry VIII in that marvelous mini-series (available on tape and DVD), he won an Emmy for episode 5 - "Catherine Howard." Oddly, that year he was also nominated as Best Actor in a continuing role in a Drama Series for the mini-series, but he lost that one to Peter Falk for COLUMBO!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jed

« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2003, 01:28:23 PM »

Ahh, finally a chance to catch up after an oh-so-busy weekend.  We had our final 4 performances of A Christmas Carol, which went very well.  Gonna miss this show.  A lot of fun, with a truly wonderful cast to be a part of.  Then set strike (I only have 2 resultant scrapes, so I'm happy :)) and our end-of-the-year banquet last night.  When I wasn't off at the theater, I got a chance to visit some with DR Ann who came over to see the show.

ladodgerjon - Love the baby pics.  Congrats to you and the new mommy!

So have we confirmed chat for tonight?  If so, I do believe I'll be around!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2003, 01:30:41 PM »

We can do chat.  I'll open the room at five-thirty, as I'm going to try to leave work at six.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2003, 01:38:25 PM »

Yes DRCHARLESPOGUE that is the Keith Mitchell LP I have....somewhere...the funnest song ever and the one I can't get out of my head is about pickin' chickens!

Chat at 5:30 PST!!!  Hurray!

I got my DVD's of BONJOUR TRISTESSE and THE LIVING CORPSE today....the Hindi Dracula recommended by DRMBARNUM!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2003, 01:51:07 PM »

Tom---
Why not check out the Connie Francis being sold on Footlights.Com and see if it is the same one you are thinking of.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up