Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MADE FOR TELEVISION  (Read 10917 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: MADE FOR TELEVISION
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2012, 12:47:03 PM »

I'd expect to hear a marching band accompanying that one, DR George.

Don't tempt him!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2012, 12:47:14 PM »

!!!!PAGE FOUR!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2012, 12:48:36 PM »

Don't tempt him!

No...I'll stop right there.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ChasSmith

« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2012, 12:51:11 PM »

Don't tempt him!

No...I'll stop right there.

Whew.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2012, 12:54:56 PM »

In any case...

Yesterday was great. Perfect weather. Good food. Great friends.

My day wrapped up at Ditch Plains where Alex, the bartender, took very good care of me and my friends throughout the evening. For the first part of the evening, I stuck to ginger ale and water, but as things were wrapping up - and as the staff started to get things ready to close up for the night, I wanted something special to finish off my day. Alex suggested some Scotch, "Oaky or peaty?" I chose peaty. He then poured me a shot of Balvenie DoubleWood. Smooooooth. Then as I was almost done, Alex "noticed" that there was not enough left in the bottle for another full shot, so... He topped off my glass.  :) -Happy Birthday to Me! ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2012, 01:05:51 PM »

Hmm, I just did my basement walk listening to The University of Michigan Marching Band.  I have several different versions of The Victors on my iPod.  Why does the one from the 1950s or '60s, conducted by William Revelli, sound so different from the one from the 1990s, conducted by Gary Lewis?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:12:22 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2012, 01:46:40 PM »

TOD:

Gosh, I can't think of a lot of 1970s TV movies other than one with Eve Plumb in some sort of reform school or something and one about a bunch of people in a lifeboat after a ship sinks and they have to decide who lives and who dies 'cuz it is too crowded in their little boat. I liked both of those, as I recall.

Oh, and DUEL, which I always forget is a TV movie.

Oh, and that one with the people in the motor home being terrorized. I think Loretta Swit is in it.

I guess I am too lazy today to try and look these up and get the titles.

MBarnum

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2012, 01:47:21 PM »

DR Elmore, so glad you caught the error in time! I know you would have felt terrible if you hadn't.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2012, 01:47:49 PM »

A flurry of emails passed back and forth and the last one assured me the booklet hadn't gone to the printer and would be added today. Oy! Such a relief!

Thank goodness!!

MBarnum

« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2012, 01:48:55 PM »

It would appear that no DRs were impressed with Sharwanand, the actor, whose photo I posted last night. If you were me, you'd have been impressed.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2012, 01:49:15 PM »

Good lord, DR ELMORE.  Happy to hear that one had an upbeat ending. 

And my sister-in-law Joann just sent me a message that my carton of gifts from Dublin arrived unbroken. The Dublin Pub T-shirts are already in the washer. The mug arrived in one piece. It's been a pretty good day.

:)

Jane

« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2012, 01:50:08 PM »

It would appear that no DRs were impressed with Sharwanand, the actor, whose photo I posted last night. If you were me, you'd have been impressed.

;D

MBarnum

« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2012, 01:55:35 PM »

Hmmm...maybe you will see the talent in my new favorite Punjabi actor, Diljit Dosanjh?

Ginny

« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2012, 02:04:25 PM »

Another WHEW! for DR Elmore!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2012, 02:06:20 PM »

We are going to a fundraiser for our local symphony orchestra tonight at the Italian restaurant down the street.  A friend of ours and his daughter are competing in the annual conductor as the first father/daughter team ever.  Go, Mike & Laura!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2012, 02:07:20 PM »

Do I hear a "whew"?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2012, 02:09:26 PM »

TOD:

IN THIS HOUSE OF BREDE

Funny you should mention this one DR Dan!  Richard is now finishing up a major paper for the course he's taking on monasticism, comparing the novel IN THIS HOUSE OF BREDE (one of his all-time favorites) to St. Benedict's tenets.  We watched the movie the other evening, not for the first time, but for the first time in a long time.  Richard kept saying, "They've really messed up the story!"  I've never read the book and wanted to have my book group read it and have Richard lead the discussion, but it's not readily available enough to assign it to the others.  Our local public library doesn't even have a copy and it's not available for Kindle.

DR Ginny, I'm pretty sure I have a paperback copy of the novel should you need it.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »

Hmmm...maybe you will see the talent in my new favorite Punjabi actor, Diljit Dosanjh?

He has nice eyes.

Ginny

« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2012, 02:18:18 PM »

TOD:

IN THIS HOUSE OF BREDE

Funny you should mention this one DR Dan!  Richard is now finishing up a major paper for the course he's taking on monasticism, comparing the novel IN THIS HOUSE OF BREDE (one of his all-time favorites) to St. Benedict's tenets.  We watched the movie the other evening, not for the first time, but for the first time in a long time.  Richard kept saying, "They've really messed up the story!"  I've never read the book and wanted to have my book group read it and have Richard lead the discussion, but it's not readily available enough to assign it to the others.  Our local public library doesn't even have a copy and it's not available for Kindle.

DR Ginny, I'm pretty sure I have a paperback copy of the novel should you need it.

Thanks, DR Dan (the Man).  We have 2 copies in the house - Richard's old worn paperback and an autographed hardcover that I found at the AAUW booksale years ago.  My concern is availability for the other members of the book group...

Ginny

« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »

And, we're off to Stefano's - bye for now!

Jane

« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2012, 02:50:23 PM »

TOD:

IN THIS HOUSE OF BREDE

Thanks, DR Dan (the Man).  We have 2 copies in the house - Richard's old worn paperback and an autographed hardcover that I found at the AAUW booksale years ago.  My concern is availability for the other members of the book group...

Is this the book you want?
http://www.amazon.com/This-House-Brede-Rumer-Godden/dp/0829421289

If so you could order all the books at once, just don't order a new hardback. ;)

Jane

« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2012, 03:12:22 PM »

In any case...

Yesterday was great. Perfect weather. Good food. Great friends.

My day wrapped up at Ditch Plains where Alex, the bartender, took very good care of me and my friends throughout the evening. For the first part of the evening, I stuck to ginger ale and water, but as things were wrapping up - and as the staff started to get things ready to close up for the night, I wanted something special to finish off my day. Alex suggested some Scotch, "Oaky or peaty?" I chose peaty. He then poured me a shot of Balvenie DoubleWood. Smooooooth. Then as I was almost done, Alex "noticed" that there was not enough left in the bottle for another full shot, so... He topped off my glass.  :) -Happy Birthday to Me! ::)

:)

I don't think I have had Balvenie DoubleWood.  Is that a smokey scotch?

At my cousin's daughter's wedding the bartender finished the bottle of Macallan's giving me almost double what I asked for.   I couldn't waste good scotch.  That plus the two margarita's I had earlier dancing was easy without any pain. 

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2012, 03:18:04 PM »

Well, this is an interesting article on film and copyright:  'Essential' film copyright protection turns 100.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »

I bought one of those DVD's yesterday at Target that were 4 musicals for $9.99.   In this bundle was Annie Get Your Gun, Kiss Me Kate. 7 Brides for 7 Brothers, and Show Boat.  I'm betting this version of Show Boat is the later one.  I don't know one from the other so I'm really excited to see something!!

MBarnum

« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2012, 03:42:34 PM »

He has nice eyes.

Yes, DR Jane. And he sings, too.

Jennifer

« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2012, 03:48:53 PM »

Does anybody here watching Big Brother AFter Dark?  Such a good show last night. OMG!

Ginny

« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2012, 03:54:43 PM »

We had a nice time at the fundraiser, visiting with lots of friends and eating a yummy dinner of pasta, salad, and dessert.

Jane

« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2012, 04:53:32 PM »

He has nice eyes.

I'm sure he does.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2012, 05:03:50 PM »

I bought one of those DVD's yesterday at Target that were 4 musicals for $9.99.   In this bundle was Annie Get Your Gun, Kiss Me Kate. 7 Brides for 7 Brothers, and Show Boat.  I'm betting this version of Show Boat is the later one.  I don't know one from the other so I'm really excited to see something!!

After reading this I had to listen to Paul Robeson and William Warfield sing Old Man River.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2012, 05:09:33 PM »

He has nice eyes.

I'm sure he does.

He could croak like a frog and Mikey would call it singing!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up