Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SAVAGE BREAST  (Read 33155 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE SAVAGE BREAST
« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2009, 02:23:08 PM »

It is Wednesday....DR JOSE is seeing THE SEARCHERS....that would be a fine movie to see on the BIG screen.

And it is ASK BK Day......so......

Which classic 20th century play or musical do you think works specifically in its time period....i.e. even if it were revived, it should take place in the time it was first produced....this would apply to pieces of contemporary theatre.....not, for example, a 1959 show set in 1888.

Li'l Abner and Bells Are Ringing come to mind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: February 18, 2009, 02:23:34 PM »

Or.....if you don't like that question.....who was prettier in 1962:

Connie Stevens
Diane McBain
Angie Dickinson

Of those three - Miss McBain.

We are not adding Miss Leslie Parrish to the list for obvious reasons.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #212 on: February 18, 2009, 02:24:02 PM »

DR JMK - Yes, I did catch today's "Non Sequitor". ;)

*Which even though it "starts" with a Twitter reference, it's called "Bloggers Anonymous" - which could apply to people who happen to use and visit Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, RSS feeds, or even online forums and discussion boards. ;)

**Besides, there's a sort of error in that cartoon: Most Twitterholics use their cellphones (which is how Twitter started), PDAs or iPhones to "tweet".

To "tweet"?  If it's "Twitter," why don't they "twit"??

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #213 on: February 18, 2009, 02:24:17 PM »

DR TCB:  walking pneumonia sounds pretty serious to me.   Or ANY kind of pneumonia.

I usually get it every December or January.  I guess I am a late-bloomer this year.  I suppose it comes from my 25 years of smoking.

It can also come from growing up in a smoking household.  My sister and I don't just get colds, we get upper respiratory infections/bronchitis/pneumonia.

Anyway - feel better vibes to DR TCB!!!

Both of my parents were chain smokers and we always took long driving vacations every summer where my mother would have the AC blasting in the front seat conveniently inundating us kids with her cigarette smoke and my dad's cigar smoke.  It's a wonder I'm not dead already.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #214 on: February 18, 2009, 02:25:15 PM »

NOW we're on page eight.  Someone had premature pageaculation.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #215 on: February 18, 2009, 02:25:29 PM »

I'm eating a sandwich and trying to have a voice.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #216 on: February 18, 2009, 02:25:44 PM »

Not necessarily in that order.

JMK

« Reply #217 on: February 18, 2009, 02:25:48 PM »

NOW we're on page eight.  Someone had premature pageaculation.

I'm pretty sure they have a cream for that now.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #218 on: February 18, 2009, 02:25:52 PM »

Listening to Johnny Mandel.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #219 on: February 18, 2009, 02:29:44 PM »

Good Afternoon, once again!

Yes, I really liked "The Searchers" - even with the guy next to me texting every now and then throughout. However, at least he finally placed his Blackberry under his jacket... After I "whispered" to him that it was too bright. And there was also the woman who came in ten minutes late, then proceeded to eat some sort of curry-infused food item that was wrapped in a crinkly wrapper. :-\ In any case...

I'm not sure if MoMA showed a new print since the color was sort of faded and brown'd, and there specks and such, but all those "artifacts" in no way affected my overall impession of the movie. It has been years since I've seen a "Western", and I think because everything in and of the movie was so new to me, I truly felt like I had "escaped from the real world" for 119 minutes. Even the "technology" of the movie fascinated me - no CGI'd anything. I even accepted those moments where it went from a painted backdrop to the Great Outdoors. Stunning and beautiful. *And since I'm a member of MoMA, the ticket price was $0.00.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #220 on: February 18, 2009, 02:30:30 PM »

DR JMK - Yes, I did catch today's "Non Sequitor". ;)

*Which even though it "starts" with a Twitter reference, it's called "Bloggers Anonymous" - which could apply to people who happen to use and visit Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, RSS feeds, or even online forums and discussion boards. ;)

**Besides, there's a sort of error in that cartoon: Most Twitterholics use their cellphones (which is how Twitter started), PDAs or iPhones to "tweet".

To "tweet"?  If it's "Twitter," why don't they "twit"??

;)

Because "twit" is an act of "being" rather than "doing" (i.e.  a person can be a twit who twitters, but not a twit who twits).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 02:35:38 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #221 on: February 18, 2009, 02:32:59 PM »

Speaking of retirement, I am going this afternoon to be fitted for my new bifocals.  It is only a short step further to social security and retirement!   :)

I felt exactly the same way when I got bifocals for the first time. Never felt so old in my life.

I was a mess with bifocals for the first week I had them: I dropped things and fell upstairs a couple of times.

LOL!  Thanks for the slapstick imagery!  :)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #222 on: February 18, 2009, 02:34:18 PM »

~~~Continued Vibes for DR TCB!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #223 on: February 18, 2009, 02:34:31 PM »

DR TCB:  walking pneumonia sounds pretty serious to me.   Or ANY kind of pneumonia.

I usually get it every December or January.  I guess I am a late-bloomer this year.  I suppose it comes from my 25 years of smoking.

It can also come from growing up in a smoking household.  My sister and I don't just get colds, we get upper respiratory infections/bronchitis/pneumonia.

Yes, our DR TCB seems to be sick quite a bit in between shows.  I know he loves doing theater, but he might reconsider it while he's not at full strength.

Michael

« Reply #224 on: February 18, 2009, 02:34:34 PM »

Every time DR Elmoore mentions he if off to TOYLAND I now think about the TOYLAND that is nominated for and Academy Award for Live Action Short Film. His TOYLAND and the TOYLAND in the film have absolutely nothing in common. The film is in German and whos title is Spielzeugland

But if I was voting for the Academy Awards I would vote for these films over the other 4 nominees.

Excellent story telling in 13 minutes and it landed an emotional wallop. I was crying during the film and when I tried to tell a friend about the film two days later I cried again.

Elmoore's Toyland

The other Toyland

Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #225 on: February 18, 2009, 02:34:44 PM »

I concur with DR Jose in regards to THE SEARCHERS; it's such a great film and has a cast that can't be beat!  Lana AND Natalie Wood, Vera Miles, Jeffrey Hunter and John Wayne.  Great storytelling, too.  Wayne's Ethan is probably my favorite of his film characterizations - and I think it's a very brave performance - that Wayne at the top of his game would play such a not-altogether sympathetic man still astounds me.

Ditto! ;)

I was actually pleasantly surprised that I got choked up and a little teary-eyed at the end of the movie. And I could hear other people sniffling too during the closing minutes of the movie.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #226 on: February 18, 2009, 02:41:09 PM »

DR Michael S - MoMA in conjunction with the DGA screened all the nominated Shorts last weekend. Alas, I was in Memphis. However, there is supposed to be some sort of "Winners Program" coming up in March.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #227 on: February 18, 2009, 02:55:37 PM »

Hello all.  Our computer crashed Friday night and it took Vixdad until late last night to get it up and running again.  He says it's stillnot 100% and he may have to tear it down and do it over so if I disappear again that's probably why.

Good to know!   You could call someone when it happens again, ya know!  We worry!

Except I cannot talk, so I can't use the phone.  I suppose I should have had the Vixter call someone - sorry!!

I told Keith when you don't post I normally figure you are busy or having computer problems.  I said I would call if you could speak.

Are you sleeping better & gagging less?

Jane

« Reply #228 on: February 18, 2009, 02:56:23 PM »

Back from a wonderful walk around part of Lake Merritt.  It was my first walk of the new year...and the first time I either wasn't too sick to walk, on jury duty or couldn't walk and not get soaked in the rain.

I plan on doing a lot more walking as long as the weather is good.

Glad you are finally feeling back to normal. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #229 on: February 18, 2009, 03:06:11 PM »

OK, time for me to stop taking up space in this Starbucks. Time to head over to the Edison Hotel where I shall meet up with DR elmore for dinner before we head to The Booth for the final preview of The Story of My Life. -And I just got an email from the stage manager, so I'll be seeing her after the show too! :)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #230 on: February 18, 2009, 03:07:33 PM »

In local news -- this is scary:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/2009/02/18/20090218escapefolo0218-ON.html

Do I get this right, we was to be deported once he served his life sentence?

Jane

« Reply #231 on: February 18, 2009, 03:10:52 PM »

Oh DR TCB.  How do you get that every year when you have a pneumonia shot?

DT DAW, you are lucky to have such excellent eye insurance.

DR Jeanne I'm glad you finally have the vision problem sorted out.

JMK

« Reply #232 on: February 18, 2009, 03:21:10 PM »

Well, this may turn out to be a very expensive year (on top of Gabe's Bar Mitzvah, which is not going to be cheap, people):  ;)

1.  We may opt to get a new roof after all, even though we probably have 3-4 years on this one.  With most repair bids coming in close to 1,000, I just can't see plopping down that much and then spending another 5K in a few years.  There's also dry rot repair to take care of which will be additional.
 1(a).  Our chimney needs tuck pointing at least, perhaps a partial/total rebuild.

2.  I have a plumber coming on Monday to take care of a bunch of niggling little stuff that I just don't have time to get to.  That's probably $200 easy.

3.  A carpenter is coming to give us a quote on Wednesday for some repair work before the family masses descend on us in late summer for the Bar Mitzvah fest.  I'm estimating $1500 minimum.

Did I mention we just bought a new car?

I do accept personal checks and money orders.  Thanks for your consideration.  ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #233 on: February 18, 2009, 03:21:38 PM »

In local news -- this is scary:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/2009/02/18/20090218escapefolo0218-ON.html

Do I get this right, we was to be deported once he served his life sentence?

Yep.  That last sentence of the story clinched it.  Of course, when you deport someone after they've served "life", I'm guessing what they're really doing is saving themselves the expense of a burial.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #234 on: February 18, 2009, 03:24:50 PM »

Well, this may turn out to be a very expensive year (on top of Gabe's Bar Mitzvah, which is not going to be cheap, people):  ;)

1.  We may opt to get a new roof after all, even though we probably have 3-4 years on this one.  With most repair bids coming in close to 1,000, I just can't see plopping down that much and then spending another 5K in a few years.  There's also dry rot repair to take care of which will be additional.
 1(a).  Our chimney needs tuck pointing at least, perhaps a partial/total rebuild.

2.  I have a plumber coming on Monday to take care of a bunch of niggling little stuff that I just don't have time to get to.  That's probably $200 easy.

3.  A carpenter is coming to give us a quote on Wednesday for some repair work before the family masses descend on us in late summer for the Bar Mitzvah fest.  I'm estimating $1500 minimum.

Did I mention we just bought a new car?

I do accept personal checks and money orders.  Thanks for your consideration.  ;)

I'm sure Gabe realizes we're in a recession and that things are going to be very, very different from now on -- financially.

A nice pair of pants, a new pair of shoes...a nice meal and some cake...and tradition is served.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #235 on: February 18, 2009, 03:30:15 PM »

Speaking of retirement, I am going this afternoon to be fitted for my new bifocals.  It is only a short step further to social security and retirement!   :)

I felt exactly the same way when I got bifocals for the first time. Never felt so old in my life.

I was a mess with bifocals for the first week I had them: I dropped things and fell upstairs a couple of times.

Too many damn margaritas!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #236 on: February 18, 2009, 03:37:35 PM »

DR TCB:  walking pneumonia sounds pretty serious to me.   Or ANY kind of pneumonia.

Yes, our DR TCB seems to be sick quite a bit in between shows.  I know he loves doing theater, but he might reconsider it while he's not at full strength.

Well, you can rest easy DR Ron Pulliam.  I won't be doing any more theater.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Laura

« Reply #237 on: February 18, 2009, 04:07:07 PM »

I like the part about how the video shows him leaving the building, so they lock down the building.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Cillaliz

« Reply #238 on: February 18, 2009, 04:07:41 PM »

For some reason my family members have been setting up facebook pages for their pets.   This is from DR AJameson and DR Sundee's cat's page

Hazel Penelope Roo Forsyth has decided for now, to tolerate her captors and continue to grace them with her presence.

LOL. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #239 on: February 18, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from MoMA!

Is Monkey with you?

der Brucer

Of course he is. Although I'm sensing Monkey is feeling a bit camera-shy today. However, I may be meeting up with one of Development Directors this afternoon, and I'm guessing Monkey will at least extend a paw to her.

Maybe Monkey should have his own Facebook page
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up