Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE A WINGED BIRD  (Read 20983 times)

Michael

Re:LIKE A WINGED BIRD
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2003, 03:34:10 PM »

I'm showing my age and my french tv upbringing but

WHO?

You must have heard of or seen the following:

« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 03:36:19 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2003, 03:34:56 PM »

DR Andrea: I suspect that TCB can Gavotte as well. I hope that reference has some meaning to the young.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2003, 03:35:37 PM »

Interesting column....the man is certainly nothing if not verbose!  ;D

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jed

« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2003, 03:37:51 PM »

Quote from: TCB on Today at 02:46:18pm
I love you, Andrea, will you marry (mary, merry) me?
Mais oui!
I've always had a thing for ascots

Now there's some competition for the Girls of HHW I didn't see coming! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Michael

« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2003, 03:38:05 PM »

Finally got a break from a big note session.  Have another two hours of that, then I'll be free to be you and me.  Meanwhile, I must say the following:

I sit back when they "flatter" us and do Broadway radio shows.  I sit back when they "flatter" us and do journals.  But I do NOT sit back when they "flatter" us and start using "Dear reader".  That is just the straw that broke the Kimmel's back.  Please take a moment to read Mr. Paul Wontorek's latest column and then feel free to drop him a line and tell him he might want to rethink this particular "homage".  I mean, honestly, what will they "flatter" us next by?  

Who is Paul Wontorek?
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2003, 03:41:25 PM »

Big advertisement in our Saturday paper today advertising a concert in April by Mr Bublé. He is appearing LIVE.  Does he usually appear at his concerts in some other state?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2003, 03:44:24 PM »

I have to admit, DR Michael, I didn't know either, and I've been reading Mandelbaum's Broadway.com column since he started there. I've never read Paul's stuff before. Maybe I'll go back to the website and look at the links to his other pieces and maybe read some of them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2003, 03:49:56 PM »

When I see unusual (to me anyway) surnames (Wonterek) and place names, my anagram cells go into overdrive. does anyone else have that sort of problem. There are a few anagram WWW sites where you can type in names and are provided with a range of possibilities.
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #158 on: December 05, 2003, 03:52:31 PM »

I hope the dear readers who are having cold weather will forgive me for this, but today is one of the glorious days when I'm glad I live in Arizona.  I'm sure DRs Kerry and MusicGuy will agree!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2003, 03:56:21 PM »

It's raining here in Olympia and I was out and about with my niece.  She rented some movie and I rented Ellen DeGeneres' new stand-up concert:  "Here and Now" on DVD...so that's what's in my DVD player.

In my VCR:  I checked out (from my local library) "The Swan Princess" only because I have the CD (I got it used quite a few years ago) and it has the singing (speaking?) voices of the fabulous Liz Callaway and the hunkalicious Howard McGillin!  I'd heard that the movie itself is not supposed to be very good, but I think that I should watch it at least once, especially since I got it for free from the library.  

In my CD player:  "Sousa For Orchestra."  For his Thanksgiving radio show, Donald and Michael Betts (did I remember/spell his name correctly?) played a couple of tracks (or was it just one track?) from the musical "Teddy and Alice" that are on this CD (it's the only time that they've been recorded).  I really liked what I heard.  I checked eBay and found a copy and was the only bidder.  The CD arrived today after only 2 days!  Ron Raines also sings on one of the tracks!  It's really good...short, but good.  Only six tracks are from the musical--the other six tracks on the CD are Sousa instrumentals.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2003, 03:58:48 PM »

LOL I lost KARMA as well DR JENNIFER....LOL.  

And we certainly don't need Michael Shayne on the case.  

Small people will always be small people, no matter how important they seem to be, or think they are.   Nor are they the only ones with computer skills to be able to know what goes on.  Sad sad sad.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2003, 03:58:56 PM »

Oh, and as to the topic of the day:
In the car: We've been listening to the radio lately -- all Christmas music until Christmas Day. A new one I heard today I hadn't already heard about 100 times since Thanksgiving was by Ray Stevens entitled "Xeroxed Christmas Letter" or something like that. It's a hoot.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 03:59:59 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jed

« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2003, 04:05:36 PM »

When I see unusual (to me anyway) surnames (Wonterek) and place names, my anagram cells go into overdrive. does anyone else have that sort of problem. There are a few anagram WWW sites where you can type in names and are provided with a range of possibilities.

Hadn't checked these out before, but here is one of those anagram sites of which Tom speaks.

It seems to have me confused with a brassiere...

Jed Slaughter = Haltered jugs :D

Tomovoz

« Reply #163 on: December 05, 2003, 04:06:01 PM »

Maybe it's my interpretation or an ambiguity George but I can't be the only person who has a Cd of "Teddy & Alice" (Len Cariou). Or were the other tracks additional to the recorded score?
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #164 on: December 05, 2003, 04:08:12 PM »

Should we call you "jugs" from now on Jed?
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #165 on: December 05, 2003, 04:11:43 PM »

Should we call you "jugs" from now on Jed?

Let's not. :D

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #166 on: December 05, 2003, 04:13:29 PM »

Great pictures DR Michael Shayne! Pic. #1 - MR. DRESSUP (only in Canada could a name like that be taken in total innocence) - was a particular favorite of my daughter's. Some years ago I received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Canadian Academy or ACTRA or one of those... It was flattering, but a little strange, as I was far too young to get a lifetime anything, plus I'd left Canada years before. But I figured out that they'd never given it to a woman before, nor anyone under sixty or seventy. In fact,  until I got it I called it "The Old Farts' Award".... Someone must have pointed out this rather old boys oriented world-view to the august members of the judging committee and they probably began searching frantically for a suitable woman to receive the award... when someone brought up my name. And the rest is history. When they called me to inform me of my win, my first thought was that I had some horrible disease that everyone but I knew about. Anyway, to get back to my point, I was flown to Toronto and received the award - very nice. BUT the high point of the evening was meeting Mr. Dressup - who also received some kind of award. ...Aren't you glad I'm back, kids? Where else would you hear such fascinating tales?

Tomovoz

« Reply #167 on: December 05, 2003, 04:19:20 PM »

So where is "Conform Afar Sinner" today? Or should that be "Scorn Minor Fanfare"?
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #168 on: December 05, 2003, 04:21:27 PM »

LOL...I became A Slack Jeer and A Jack Reels

Tomovoz

« Reply #169 on: December 05, 2003, 04:28:00 PM »

I am not surprised Jack. I knew it would happen someday.
James Thurber 1957

Andrea

« Reply #170 on: December 05, 2003, 04:30:14 PM »

You must have heard of or seen the following:

Sigh... now there was my childhood in pictures-- I refused to watch seseme street even

Tomovoz

« Reply #171 on: December 05, 2003, 04:30:35 PM »

Thanks for posting the link Jed. I still have no idea how do such things. I shall now continue with my Saturday shopping chores. I shall look forward to full report on opening night in 7 or 8 hours time.
James Thurber 1957

Andrea

« Reply #172 on: December 05, 2003, 04:32:23 PM »

Well, when the boys of HHW don't give the girls of HHW enough attention we must stray.

Mr. Mark Bakalor

• Administrator
  • SAG / AFTRA
    • mark, my words
« Reply #173 on: December 05, 2003, 04:34:27 PM »

Small people will always be small people, no matter how important they seem to be, or think they are.   Nor are they the only ones with computer skills to be able to know what goes on.  Sad sad sad.

I assume you're insinuating me. For whatever it's worth I haven't boo'ed a single Dear Reader since the feature was implemented.

I have no delusions of grandeur. I'm here to help and I try to do so as much as possible. If you'd like to take over I'd be happy to take the responsibility off my hands.

Jed

« Reply #174 on: December 05, 2003, 04:37:26 PM »

Well, when the boys of HHW don't give the girls of HHW enough attention we must stray.

Well, I've certainly been put in my place! :D  I'll try to reform my neglectful ways.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #175 on: December 05, 2003, 04:39:04 PM »

Thanks anyway, but I don't think I would enjoy it as much as you do.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #176 on: December 05, 2003, 05:07:22 PM »

If anyone else starts using "What is it, fish?", I think there's a problem.

I had thought that Dorothy Parker was known for her "Dear Readers" usage in her columns of the 1920s in "The New Yorker." However, it was her reference to herself as "Constant Reader" that I was recalling.

And never was it more amusing than when Dorothy Parker, under her pen name, Constant Reader, reviewed A. A. Milne's The House at Pooh Corner in The New Yorker, with predictable, now-famous, results:

". . . And it is that word 'hummy,' my darlings, that marks the first place in The House at Pooh Corner at which Tonstant Weader fwowed up."

« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 05:29:56 PM by Ron Pulliam »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #177 on: December 05, 2003, 05:12:22 PM »

My favorite children's television host was none other than Marni Nixon.  She had a Sunday morning kids show with a bunch of puppets called BOOMERANG based out of Seattle in the early 80s.  
But I have to say, I've never seen much Marni Nixon in TCB. :)

I appreciate that, Jed.  No comment Matt and Ron!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #178 on: December 05, 2003, 05:24:53 PM »

Maybe it's my interpretation or an ambiguity George but I can't be the only person who has a Cd of "Teddy & Alice" (Len Cariou). Or were the other tracks additional to the recorded score?

Tom, do you have an actual recording of Teddy and Alice WITH Len Cariou?
(Is it a legal copy?)  

The CD, "Sousa for Orchestra," is actually a recording of music written by John Philip Sousa.  It includes six songs that were used in the musical Teddy & Alice, and are sung by Gordon Stanley (who was in the original cast, but not as Teddy), Meg Bussert and Ron Raines.  This CD has one song by the character of Nick.  Ron (who sings it) played Nick in the original cast.  So that one song would constitute an original cast performance!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #179 on: December 05, 2003, 05:29:26 PM »

I never quite got the appeal of Captain Kangaroo as a kid...he always made me think of a wrestler.  

Now, I am being compared to a wrestler!  Maya, I am sure you meant The Rock.  Now I can see the resemblance between the two of us.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up