Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RUNNING GAGS  (Read 36104 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE RUNNING GAGS
« Reply #360 on: March 25, 2008, 03:34:48 PM »

Making lunch for DP who has been down in the dumps lately as his Nana has decided to "give up" so to speak.  So I went to the butcher and bought 2 "Cowboy" rib-eye steaks which i will put on the grill along with some baby gold potatoes and a salad.  

~~~Vibes of Comfort for DR Matthew's DP!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #361 on: March 25, 2008, 03:36:04 PM »

That's a pretty strong tie to a congregation.  Do you think, though, Laura, that your congregation would tolerate a pastor who preached intolerance to them -- who told them to hate others -- whose very words espoused civil strife for change to his way of thinking?

I don't think they would.  Some pastors ARE their churches...they draw folks to them with their messages.

We can fire a pastor, you know.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

George

« Reply #362 on: March 25, 2008, 03:37:45 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]PAGE 13 DANCE!![/size][/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #363 on: March 25, 2008, 03:38:24 PM »

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #364 on: March 25, 2008, 03:40:17 PM »

Please tell me that is an early April Fools Day joke.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #365 on: March 25, 2008, 03:42:57 PM »

We can fire a pastor, you know.

As can most churches.  

Which rather begs the question, I think, as to why Obama believes he can belong to a church that espouses racial hatred (vis a vis the pastor) but believes he can "distance" himself from the pastor who preaches to an apparently receptive congregation?   In other words, how is it possible to willingly be part of a congregation feeding on racial hatred and expect anyone to believe you do not agree with the meal?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 03:47:43 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #366 on: March 25, 2008, 03:45:14 PM »

No wonder I got my geography mixed up....I must give my response this way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #367 on: March 25, 2008, 03:46:24 PM »

Running gag I almost forgot:

Uranus.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #368 on: March 25, 2008, 03:47:21 PM »

All this talk about pastors does remind me of a headline:

Church Roof Collapses Woman Critical

You just can't please some people, you know.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #369 on: March 25, 2008, 03:51:12 PM »

DRJOSE - next time you see your friend Mario, ask him if he thinks U.S. Americans are good map readers!

George

« Reply #370 on: March 25, 2008, 03:53:25 PM »

Don't forget my WBBL.

And my, "Just had to share."

;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #371 on: March 25, 2008, 03:53:46 PM »

DRJOSE - next time you see your friend Mario, ask him if he thinks U.S. Americans are good map readers!

Well, we'll be under the same roof tomorrow - well, at least in the same rehearsal complex - so...  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #372 on: March 25, 2008, 03:53:47 PM »

"That's ... in Internet lingo."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #373 on: March 25, 2008, 03:54:43 PM »

Well, we'll be under the same roof tomorrow - well, at least in the same rehearsal complex - so...  ;D

Think of it as an ice breaker.

Not quite the same as under the same blanket.....but closer than I will be for sure.  ;D

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #374 on: March 25, 2008, 04:04:01 PM »

Let the HHW games begin!

I just hope the score isn't "Variations on a Theme By Me"

der Brucer

And they need someone like Cameron Mackintosh with a big stick to keep them under control
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

« Reply #375 on: March 25, 2008, 04:07:20 PM »

I'm a little sorry that the running gag about DR Karen and my fling in Paris has gone by the wayside.  I was counting on Cason's inevitable windfall from his eventual TV series (perhaps more than one) and inevitable film career to help support me in my old age and was hoping to use the internet postings as a guilt trip.

It's never too late!

;)

MBarnum

« Reply #376 on: March 25, 2008, 04:13:07 PM »

What if HHW were subtext-captioned?      :P

We would probably get shut down.

Cillaliz

« Reply #377 on: March 25, 2008, 04:27:09 PM »

Well, she is trying to change the subject:

Clinton: Rev. Wright ‘Would Not Have Been My Pastor’And a lot of American women would have left their marriage if their husbands had behaved like Bill.

der Brucer

And a lot of American women wouldn't have left.   He was the President of the United States for god's sake, you can get a lot out of maintaining that relationship.  She's now a Senator and if I had my druthers would be the next president.  Would leaving him have helped her there, I don't think so.  Then it would be who's side do you take for all the political capital one needs to get ahead in that world. Better to stay and use him and his connections to further your own interests.   So what if he fooled around

Cillaliz

« Reply #378 on: March 25, 2008, 04:28:13 PM »

I would never leave my congregation because of a pastor. I have known most of the folks for over twenty years. Pastors come and go.

I agree, what would people complain about if it wasn't something stupid the pastor said or did.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #379 on: March 25, 2008, 04:29:05 PM »

Are you suggesting a good Christian Republican would dilly-dally?

der Brucer

All the time.  

DERBRUCER

« Reply #380 on: March 25, 2008, 04:30:24 PM »

WIRED SCIENCE

Stop the Presses: Men and Women Like Different Foods!

Led by epidemiologist Beletshachew Shiferaw of Oregon's Department of Human Services, researchers pored over dietary data generated by more than 14,000 adult American respondents to a Foodborne Disease Active Surveillance Network survey. The results:

Men eat much more meat, especially veal and ham.

Women eat more fruits and vegetables. Men are more likely to eat frozen rather than fresh hamburgers.

Women eat more alfalfa sprouts. Men eat more runny eggs and raw oysters.

So glad to see Oregon's tax dollars at work!

No to frozen burgers - yes to runny eggs and raw oysters (just not on the same plate).

der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #381 on: March 25, 2008, 04:30:36 PM »

That's a pretty strong tie to a congregation.  Do you think, though, Laura, that your congregation would tolerate a pastor who preached intolerance to them -- who told them to hate others -- whose very words espoused civil strife for change to his way of thinking?

I don't think they would.  Some pastors ARE their churches...they draw folks to them with their messages.

Oh I think some of the churches from my home town would have a meeting call in the higher ups and do whatever they could to get rid of the minister and get another one.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #382 on: March 25, 2008, 04:31:56 PM »

2008 World Figure Skating

This year's competition was a mixed bag at the outset for the U.S.  First, only one of the ladies in competition earned a medal at nationals, and she was the bronze medalist.  Oddly, she cost the U.S. a "body" at next year's World's where we can only send two women because she finished well below expectations.  The ladies who finished 1st, 2nd and 4th at nationals were too young (one by 5 days) to compete under current rules.  They competed, though, at Junior World's, doing the exact same programs they would have done at senior World's (hypocrisy, what?).

Happily, nationals 2nd place finisher Rachel Flatt won the juniors gold; nationals 4th place finisher Caroline Zhang won the silver; and nationals gold medalist Mirai Nagasu won the bronze.

Our ladies at World's finished well off the pace with troubled Kimmy Meissner finishing 7th overall.  Beatrisa Liang was 10th or 11th. Ashley Wagner  (our national bronze medalist) was near the bottom of the final 20.  The gold medalist, Mao Asada of Japan, skated beautifully following an opening fall that sent her sliding into the side of the rink.  Carolina Kostner of Italy scored many many points for some reason or other and finished with the silver.  A Korean lady won the bronze.

We had no "real" pairs hopes (our national champs were ineligible due to "age"), but our team made a relatively decent showing.  The Canadians won the bronze.

In Ice Dancing, we had our greatest hope in Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto.  They were favored to win gold, but it was not to be.  They had a very, very rare fall in the first of three dances.  Sadly, the first dance is compulsories, and any mistake is seriously weighted against the team.  They finished fourth overall.  Canada, happily, took the silver.

The men's competition was our one true hope to take home a medal.  With Nationals title holder Evan Lysacek withdrawn from the competition, only Nationals Silver Medalist Johnny Weir was poised to help the U.S maintain three positions on next year's men's team.  Weir was phenomenal in his short program and finished second behind Canada's also phenomenal Jeffrey Buttle.  Reigning World Champion Brian Joubert of France was in 6th position, only four points behind Buttle and less than two points behind Weir.  Swiss skater Stephane Lambiel (5th place) and Japan's champ Daisuke Takahashi (3rd place) were also in that mix.

There was a Czech skater named Tomas Verner who was in good position to medal (4th place after the short) and the crowd loved him, but he fell apart -- badly -- during his free skate, popping virtually every jump.  Lambiel and Takahashi also faltered after scintillating short programs.

Johnny Weir did a very cautious, almost clean free skate.  He attempted the quad but the toe of his other boot touched the ice as he landed.  That's called a two-foot.  It turns out that the judges did not credit Weir for a quad (which is the norm when you complete the revolutions), but for a triple.  They then deducted points for the two-footed landing.  It was not the only controversial judging call, but it stood.  Weir wasn't in "competition mode" during the free skate.  He was more in a "don't mess it up and for-pity's-sake-save-the-men-three-spots mode".  He did not skate with his customary speed, but his marks were strong and he was in first place after his skate and stayed there through Lambiel and Takahashi.  (At that point Weir was guaranteed a medal and the U.S. earned three spots for the men next year.  It was Verner's collapse that truly assured those spots because he elevated another U.S. skater into 10th place).

When Joubert hit the ice, you knew he was either gonna suck bigtime or he was gonna absolutely rock.

Joubert absolutely rocked.  He did a perfect quad with extraordinary height.  After a rather disastrous performance at European championships a month earlier, Joubert could do no wrong.  His spins were beautiful, his footwork was difficult, dizzying and dazzling.  When he came off the ice, he knew he had done something amazing.  His score went up and he was well ahead of Weir...by just under 10 points.

Only Buttle remained, and he had been four points ahead of Joubert.  Paul Wylie announced that Buttle had no quad.  He did, instead,  a triple-double-double combination.  Later , he did a triple-triple.  And there were five other triples besides.  His footwork was effortless...and complex.  His choreography was intricate and superb.  And his skate was perfection.  He had a variety of spins/spinning positions that were breathtaking.  

When it was over, announcer Terry Gannon said, "Buttle has done all he could possibly do...but will it be enough." (I sat wondering why it wouldn't be enough).  Dick Button said that since Joubert's component scores had been so high, he did not believe Buttle's component scores could carry him into first place, meaning Buttle would have had to score too many more points.  (Hmmm, I was doubting my reaction to the skate). Button said he felt there was no way Buttle could outscore Joubert, even given the four-point advantage.  Wylie agreed with Button.

I was a bit stunned, to tell the truth, because as good as Joubert was, I thought Buttle was AMAZING.  I don't recall ever seeing a better male skate than this one.  Buttle had not one wasted movement but performed a program that was as fine as any ever choreographed or skated.  It was as awesome, to me, as was Michelle Kwan's nationals skate to "Lyrica Angelica" in 1998 (the best overall performance I've ever seen).

The scores went up.  Buttle outscored Joubert -- INCREDIBLY -- in technical points...MANY MORE points than you'd ever imagine (just over 10 points more -- for all the intricate footwork and magnificent spins that he did).  And oddly enough, Joubert had beaten Buttle by one point in components.  The U.S. trio of Wylie, Gannon and Button were nearly dumbstruck.  

With his score from the short program, Buttle beat Joubert by 14 points.

Oh, Canada!  Good for you!

« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 05:08:18 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #383 on: March 25, 2008, 04:34:01 PM »

Dakota-Good luck on the paper.  Thanks for stopping in & letting us know.

Cillaliz

« Reply #384 on: March 25, 2008, 04:34:03 PM »

Besides, I think Bill and Hillary really do love each other.  I think whatever they have worked out between the two of them should be just that, between the two of them.  

Jane

« Reply #385 on: March 25, 2008, 04:36:02 PM »

AND WHERE IS MARK BAKALOR AND CASON AND JASON AND CRAIG BROCKMAN?

I hope you know where Craig Brockman is, even if he isn't posting. ;)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #386 on: March 25, 2008, 04:36:06 PM »

He was the President of the United States for god's sake, you can get a lot out of maintaining that relationship.  ...Better to stay and use him and his connections to further your own interests.   So what if he fooled around

Goodness, such Machiavellian instincts - have you been reading Rove?

der Brucer

Jane

« Reply #387 on: March 25, 2008, 04:36:53 PM »

I still blame Jose.  (but he was not there at the time).
Laters!

I was waiting for these to be mentioned :)

Jane

« Reply #388 on: March 25, 2008, 04:39:53 PM »

Yes, I have returned!  I survived the photo shoot, and believe me, they got a lot of close-ups.

Actually, for anyone who knows me well, this whole shoot would make them laugh.  Fortunately for me, they needed an old coot for this ad, so the casting was perfect.  

So, at 6:01 in the morning, I arrived on the shores of Lake Washington in Seattle.  The Wardrobe Woman had asked me to dress appropriately as an older retired gentleman (coot) going fishing on a lake.  I wore the type of clothes she had mentioned, but she immediately picked out clothes from her wardrobe van that she preferred.  Okay, so I preferred her choices, too.

So after getting re-dressed, meeting all of the crew and the photograher; at 6:35 a.m, I climbed into a rowboat and began rowing around Lake Washington. Oh. did I mention that before I climbed in to the rowboat, they were nice enough to scrape and wash the ice out of the boat?  Yes, it was a chilly 32 degrees this morning.  

Now the idea of me fishing is amusing.  I prefer to eat them than catch them.  But the idea of me in a rowboat rowing around the lake in the pre-dawn morning is something that I am sure my sister would pay big bucks to see.

;D :D

Jane

« Reply #389 on: March 25, 2008, 04:41:01 PM »

The Swedish Chef Hat and its Adventures

My all time favorite. :)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18   Go Up