Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TIVO AND DISH  (Read 21972 times)

MBarnum

Re:TIVO AND DISH
« Reply #180 on: January 04, 2004, 10:02:07 PM »

LOL Tom!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 10:03:29 PM by MBarnum »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: January 04, 2004, 10:14:49 PM »

Yes, best vibes and xylophones to Swishy's mum.

Just watched Curb Your Enthusiasm - what a strange show.

There is no "edit" or "modify" button on the interviews - it would be a lot easier if there were.

Jed

« Reply #182 on: January 04, 2004, 10:20:44 PM »

Never seen "Curb Your Enthusiasm," but when it comes to odd-but-damn-funny television, I've become a fan of "Arrested Development."  Anyone else here watch it?  It is incredibly quirky, but I certainly like it.

As some of you may recall, I mentioned the other day that a high school classmate of mine was missing, having gone skiing in the Cascades on New Year's Eve.  I am very pleasantly surprised to be able to report that he was found this afternoon, was airlifted to a Seattle hospital, and looks to be recovering very nicely.  After 4-1/2 days, they had pretty much given up hope of finding him alive, and the search was only a couple hours from being called off.  In fact, this morning his family was planning a memorial service.  Such a nice change of pace to have a happy story lead off the evening newscast.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: January 04, 2004, 10:23:28 PM »

And you know what I REALLY like about this site?  Well, I'll tell you what I really like about this site because why shouldn't I?  What I really like about this site is that during times of stress and turmoil this is a place of support and warmth, that's what I really like about this site.  And that, dear readers, is a compliment to the likes of you from the likes of me.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #184 on: January 04, 2004, 10:23:50 PM »

Good news indeed, DR Jed! It's so nice to have some good news!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Laura II

« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2004, 10:23:58 PM »

Hooray for that story, Jed! I'm so glad they found him! Thank God! :)
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #186 on: January 04, 2004, 10:24:04 PM »

Just had to check back. What is "melmac"? It sure doesn't sound like vegemite.
Old Times tells us:

"Melmac became the generic term for such dishes, but it's actually a trade name for melamine, a tough hard plastic created by American Cyanamid Corp. in the 1940s. There is dinnerware in other forms of plastic, too, but Melmac is the main concern for Zimmer.

Like many technological breakthroughs of modern times - radar, atomic power, Spam - melamine has its roots in World War II, when the armed forces were looking for sturdy, light, durable materials for the mess hall. Zimmer has a few early examples of stacking tumblers from that time, and though the use of plastic opened up an infinite range of color possibilities, the Army, of course, opted for brown or olive green."

BK likes the subtle colors which is why he uses it for his Cheese Slices and Ham Chunks (and Lemon Squares) for his book signings:

I suspect he also uses it for formal dinner parties to display his platters of Whacky Noodles.

It's also great for breakfast:

Russel Wright also designed this Schmoo-like covered cereal bowl for his "Residential" line.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jed

« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2004, 10:29:12 PM »

Ha!  DerBrucer, that covered cereal bowl is one weird-looking piece of dishware.  And I greatly enjoy the description of "Schmoo-like." :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 10:31:09 PM by Jed »

Tomovoz

« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2004, 10:29:33 PM »

Thank God that not everything makes it to OZ! Thanks "DerBrucer". (maybe it was just not our kitchen).
DR Jed. Thanks for the good news story.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2004, 10:54:26 PM »

Well, you shamed me into it! I read that wonderful interview wherein you grilled the poor girl with your relentless badgering to "hold nothing back" - no doubt conducted with a bright gestapo light and sodium pentathol at the ready.

Even worse, BK uses sondheim pentathol.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jed

« Reply #190 on: January 04, 2004, 10:59:58 PM »

Even worse, BK uses sondheim pentathol.

Wow... just have to keep telling myself "There is no groaning at HHW.com... There is no groaning at HHW.com..." :D

Tomovoz

« Reply #191 on: January 04, 2004, 11:00:32 PM »

It puts more "bounce" into your step though TCB.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: January 04, 2004, 11:06:25 PM »

What a lovely number of Sunday posts we are having.  One hour left until new notes, which have several piquant observations, oh, yes, they have several piquant observations in them.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2004, 11:06:46 PM »

Bruce, the lovely wife and I listened to the Unsung Berlin whilst soaking in the jacuzzi tonight, sipping champagne as a fitting end to the holiday season.  Great gift, thanks so much!

Jed

« Reply #194 on: January 04, 2004, 11:10:47 PM »

I prefer picante observations, but I suppose piquant observations will suffice.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #195 on: January 04, 2004, 11:10:59 PM »

I'm watching the local news talk about how freakin' cold it is in Washington State.  To let you know how cold it is, about an hour ago, I got a call from my supervisor telling me that I don't have to come to work in the morning.  They're going to close the building...actually, they're not going to open the building at all.  Yea!  An improptu three-day weekend!

The news just reported that it's one degree in Olympia!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #196 on: January 04, 2004, 11:12:17 PM »

Do you need a special board to play piquant?
James Thurber 1957

Kerry

« Reply #197 on: January 04, 2004, 11:14:41 PM »

WELCOME HOME BEN AND ANTHONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I like boat races.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #198 on: January 04, 2004, 11:24:06 PM »

Never seen "Curb Your Enthusiasm," but when it comes to odd-but-damn-funny television, I've become a fan of "Arrested Development."  Anyone else here watch it?  It is incredibly quirky, but I certainly like it.

As some of you may recall, I mentioned the other day that a high school classmate of mine was missing, having gone skiing in the Cascades on New Year's Eve.  I am very pleasantly surprised to be able to report that he was found this afternoon, was airlifted to a Seattle hospital, and looks to be recovering very nicely.  After 4-1/2 days, they had pretty much given up hope of finding him alive, and the search was only a couple hours from being called off.  In fact, this morning his family was planning a memorial service.  Such a nice change of pace to have a happy story lead off the evening newscast.

Yes, Jed, I also enjoy ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT.  It is bizzarre and quirky and often just-plain funny.  I am also happy to see Liza getting a little bit back by laughing at herself in this show.

I was happy to hear on the news about your classmate, Jed.

A low of three degrees for Tacoma tonight with a foot of snow due by Tuesday (you'll notice I avoided saying that 12 inches was due by Tuesday).
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #199 on: January 04, 2004, 11:25:26 PM »

I seem to be in a much warmer pocket of Washington State. The chance of it snowing here tomorrow is about the same as me playing "Dolly" on broadway.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #200 on: January 04, 2004, 11:26:35 PM »

I assume you did not want a rush of tourists over the border TCB? Sometimes it is nice to share.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #201 on: January 04, 2004, 11:36:44 PM »

Good evening/Good morning!

-Now let's see if I get all of this in before the new notes go up...

Topic #1 - Closing night of CAMELOT

What a wonderful night.  Lots of happy vibes all around.  Some teariness, but mainly smiles and long hugs.  And LOTS of picture taking(!!) - myself included.

The conductor and I went out to dinner between shows - he paid this time.  -We take turns paying, regardless of whether we end up at some place pricey or cheap - it all evens out in the long run.  Well, we went to a place on Capitol Hill called "Thai Roma".  Very interesting place.  Very, very interesting.

As the name implies, it's part Thai and part Italian (Roma) - well, at least it used to be.  Now it's mainly Thai with a few Italian "accents" here and there.  And the decor is kind of like an English/Irish/New England pub/racing club/boathouse something or other.  Just lots of stuff all over the place.  However...

The food was very good, and the servings were very generous.  It's right by where I'm rehearsing my new show, and I'll definitely add it to my list of possible lunch and dinner spots.  -And the waitress was very emphatic about my first choice for a soup, "No!" - she just started waving her finger and pointing out the first two choices.  I learned a long time, trust the waitress!  Especially one who looks like she's been around for a while.

But back to closing night...

It was a good show.  Some interesting "things" on stage, but even I was a little "scattered" in the pit.  But a very good show, and during the curtain calls, a lot of the cast was trying to hold back the tears - as was I as I conducted the curtain calls for the final time.  -And, boy, was that last sequence of Good-byes between Arthur, Lancelot and Guenevere very emotionally charged!

At the pizza party afterwards, we all took more pictures... And then came the great unveiling!  All the men in the cast - well, almost all of them - came in with brand new, clean shaven faces!  After three months of being moustachioed and bearded.... Some of the "transformations" were amazing!  Simply amazing!  I took "before" pics before tonight's show, and made sure to take the "after" pics during the party.  Once I get them all montaged, and down to a friendlier bandwidth size, I'll do my best to post some of them on here!

I made sure to get an individual pic of everyone, and I got some nice good-byes in myself.

Yes, a show closing is a sad time.  But this was a good sad.  We had a good run.  And now we all move onto other projects and adventures.  And, most importantly, we get to home - even if it just for a few days.

The most touching "goodbye" of the evening was when I was heading out to my car.  The dance captain's very cute and smart five-year old son was crying - he didn't want to leave the party, he didn't want to leave all his friends.  We all reassured him that we'll see him again.  And soon.  And we will.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 11:40:56 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: January 04, 2004, 11:38:09 PM »

DR Jed - WOW!  I'm now an adjective!  How many more times does "it" have to be used in order for me to petitition to be included in the next edition of the OED? ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 11:38:35 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #203 on: January 04, 2004, 11:39:12 PM »

I suddenly got very hungry and ate an apple followed by a bowl of cereal with blueberries... then another bowl of cereal w. blueberries. Now I'm stuffed. "What fabulously interesting news," I bet you're all saying to yourselves.
Now I'm going to watch my tape of tonight's SEX AND THE CITY. I'm hoping to get some sleep ce soir, after two nights in a row of barely sleeping at all. Tomorrow, when this town finally comes back to life after the holiday season, I hope to get Network notes (or at least an idea of when the meeting will be for Network notes) so I can finally move on to the next draft of the script I'm working on.

Good news about the lost skier.

All the best to Swishy's mom.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: January 04, 2004, 11:39:52 PM »

DR Tomovov - and Colin and Magnus and Fosca - Many happy refrains! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #205 on: January 04, 2004, 11:40:10 PM »

Thanks for sharing your "good sad" Jose.
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #206 on: January 04, 2004, 11:43:25 PM »

DR JoseSPiano - Lovely description of your closing night.

Tomovoz

« Reply #207 on: January 04, 2004, 11:44:03 PM »

The post office sorters think I am weird enough anyway. Parcels addressed to Colin, Tom , Magus & Fosca" were bound to be delivered to the right address.  We had a card for Christmas addressed to Jack and Tom,Upper Beaconsfield. Not a problem. (Colin's family call him Jack). Thanks again Jose. We hope to see you back here this year.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: January 04, 2004, 11:48:40 PM »

OHHH!!!! And when I got home tonight, I was all set to get all my stuff set for rehearsal in the morning, but, guess what?  I don't have rehearsal in the morning!!!!  I just got the e-mail from the stage manager - I'm only called in from 5:00-8:00 tomorrow afternoon/evening.  YEAH!!!!

[move=left,scroll,10,transparent,100%]Happy Dance![/move]

I can actually sleep in, and still be able to get some work done before heading in.  Sooooo cool.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 11:49:45 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #209 on: January 04, 2004, 11:50:46 PM »

Isn't dear reader Panni (who is BUSY) forgetting one little item of food?  Isn't she just?

It is REALLY cold (at least for LA) here, too.  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up