Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A COCKEYED OPTIMIST  (Read 14288 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: A COCKEYED OPTIMIST
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2010, 11:29:13 AM »

DR Ginny I just browsed your website & am very excited to see the book you are reading for you March book discussion.  Please don't forget to give me your general impression.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2010, 11:43:42 AM »

I just saw my super, who is Romanian, and he informed me that the plum-ber had come and gone and that all should be fine in the bathrom now. In a couple of weeks, if the leak has indeed been solved, I will have a new ceiling.

I learned a bit at the NYPL and, following a stop at the market, I am making chicken soup and puttering about the apartment.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2010, 11:58:47 AM »

At 5:30 p.m. today on TCM - Richard Brooks' production of THE BROTHER KARAMAZOV.....I have only seen a part of this movie and look forward to seeing it ALL!

One of the first VHS tapes I bought at the dawn of the home video age.  It came in a huge, purple plastic clamshell IIRC.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »

ALL videos should come a huge purple clamshell....I think my copies of 4 HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE and ANTHONY ADVERSE came in similar packaging.

They felt VERY IMPORTANT!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2010, 12:03:17 PM »

Did you get your KEY, DR JMK?

Will Frances have her own room at le chez nouveau?

JMK

« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2010, 12:18:59 PM »

Yes, we've had keys since Friday.  Starting the long repair/upkeep process, which will take a few weeks.  However, I think maybe we'll move in toward the end of March so that we might have Passover in the new house.

Frances will inhabit part of my office, as she always has, plus probably several of the many closets in the basement.  ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2010, 12:20:41 PM »

At 5:30 p.m. today on TCM - Richard Brooks' production of THE BROTHER KARAMAZOV.....I have only seen a part of this movie and look forward to seeing it ALL!

One of the first VHS tapes I bought at the dawn of the home video age.  It came in a huge, purple plastic clamshell IIRC.

I did not set this movie to record, should I?

Jane

« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2010, 12:22:05 PM »

JMK, Passover in the new house sounds nice. :)  With just the two of us we haven't done anything for Passover in years.  I wanted to go to L.A. this year to spend it with family & friends.  Of course that isn't happening now.

JMK

« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2010, 12:22:31 PM »

It's been years (and years) since I've seen it.  A bit overblown, way oversimplified in terms of the source novel, but good in that late 50's Hollywood epic sort of way.  Fun to see William Shatner in one of his first roles.

Jane

« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2010, 12:23:25 PM »

I just saw my super, who is Romanian, and he informed me that the plum-ber had come and gone and that all should be fine in the bathrom now. In a couple of weeks, if the leak has indeed been solved, I will have a new ceiling.

I learned a bit at the NYPL and, following a stop at the market, I am making chicken soup and puttering about the apartment.

I forgot you super is Romanian.  Is he married?  If so, wish his wife Happy Women's Day on March 8th.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2010, 12:24:58 PM »

It's been years (and years) since I've seen it.  A bit overblown, way oversimplified in terms of the source novel, but good in that late 50's Hollywood epic sort of way.  Fun to see William Shatner in one of his first roles.

Thanks.  It would be fun to see Shatner.  Keith didn't read the book, not sure if this sounds like the best introduction to it.

Jane

« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2010, 12:28:41 PM »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2010, 12:32:15 PM »

I forgot you super is Romanian.  Is he married?  If so, wish his wife Happy Women's Day on March 8th.

He's a grandfather and a very wonderful man. I'm very fond of both him and his wife. Remember his grandson, Dragan, and his help with the bookcases last August when I was on crutches? I've been thinking about him today since I sent him a message telling him his grandfather was my hero.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »

I remembered his grandson, not if he was married. :)  Women's Day is a big deal in Romania.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2010, 12:42:43 PM »

DR JANE - as DR JMK said - it's fun in the important 1950's film way.....and Yul Brynner and Maria Schell are both very nice to look at, even if their dueling accents can be a challenge to listen to....and of course William Shatner.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2010, 12:43:03 PM »

DR JMK - I am sure Frances will enjoy her new surroundings.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »

Tonight they are going to announce the new celebs for this season's DANCING WITH THE STARS. I thought all the names would have been leaked. But i've only seen a few (kate gosselin and perhaps pamela anderson). I am still really annoyed with the show for dumping so many of their popular professional. Apparently Kym asked for more money so they canned her too (in addition to karina, lacey and jonathan). And Dimitri won't be on this season most likely either. :(

I read Greg Louganis is probably going to be one of the contestants.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2010, 01:21:36 PM »

Before I left for lunch, I had time to watch last night's BROTHERS & SISTERS. Too much silly comic situation for my taste and again the drama mostly comes about from people not talking about what's bothering them and keeping secrets until they just burst forth when they can't hold them in any more. Very tedious.

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2010, 01:22:52 PM »

Lunch ran very late. We ran into a mutual friend at lunch when we had almost finished eating. He asked if he could join us, and so we talked while he ate his lunch. That made it very late when I got back home to start work.

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2010, 01:28:15 PM »

Because it was so late, I made a last minute change and decided to begin on MATT HOUSTON today. The first episode was the 90+ minute Movie-of-the-Week pilot episode, so I only got that and one regular length episode watched.

The movie had Jill St. John and Dale Robertson as the primary guest stars. It certainly set up the premise well: millionaire playboy who enjoys playing private eye while underlings deal with all of his other business interests. Almost all of his assistants are luscious females whom he constantly flirts with. Interesting that he has a "super" computer at his home/office he goes to for information - an Apple III.

It's an Aaron Spelling production so everything is slick, brightly colorful, and as deep as a teaspoon.

Lee Horsley, of course, is VERY easy on the eyes.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2010, 01:29:32 PM »

The second episode had Bradford Dillman, Stuart Whitman, Murray Hamilton, and Heather Locklear as the primary guest stars.There are a set of regulars who are kind of go-fer/stooges for Matt, but they really don't seem to be taking much part in the actual case work.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2010, 01:32:42 PM »

Had a nice work session.  I'm starving but can't really get in anywhere until after two.  And Hugo's is closed all week for repairs.

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2010, 02:00:49 PM »

I guess I'll write for a little bit and then head back down to continue with MATT HOUSTON.

WBBL.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2010, 02:30:38 PM »

Great photo, John G.! Thanks for posting. Is that a cheetah?
It is a cheetah. After dinner, rubbing his back. I'll have some more spotted spottings for you in a day or two. Glad you liked him.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2010, 02:37:11 PM »

I just pre-ordered Andrew Lloyd Webber's latest, Love Never Dies from Dresscircle.co.uk.  Is anyone else planning on getting it? 

DR George, thirty years ago I was exactly like you: every new cast recording had to be in my possession. Then I realized one day that many of them, especially the revival cast recordings with new arrangements and reduced orchestras, weren't worth the time or waste of money. I'd only be interested in the new A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC if it had Tunick's orchestrations and it does not.  As to ALW's newest, I would only want to hear it for Larry Blank's orchestrations - I do believe and he did them all, no matter what the credit says - but I'll find it down the pike in a used CD store for a lot less than its current selling price.

Does this explain, DR Elmore, why I have eight different recordings of "Annie Get Your Gun," even though it's not one of my more favorite scores? I mean there's one with someone named Susie Quattro, and I haven't a clue as to who she is. But it must have been $4 or $5 in a used CD bin someplace, so it ended in the collection, along with the two Ethels, the Mary, the Bernadette, the Delores, the Betty and the John McGlinn. 
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2010, 02:48:25 PM »

Thanks, John G.

"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2010, 03:09:45 PM »

DR JANE - as DR JMK said - it's fun in the important 1950's film way.....and Yul Brynner and Maria Schell are both very nice to look at, even if their dueling accents can be a challenge to listen to....and of course William Shatner.

Thanks.  Keith said he isn't interested & I already have too many movies saved to watch without him.

Jane

« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2010, 03:11:59 PM »

I just pre-ordered Andrew Lloyd Webber's latest, Love Never Dies from Dresscircle.co.uk.  Is anyone else planning on getting it? 

DR George, thirty years ago I was exactly like you: every new cast recording had to be in my possession. Then I realized one day that many of them, especially the revival cast recordings with new arrangements and reduced orchestras, weren't worth the time or waste of money. I'd only be interested in the new A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC if it had Tunick's orchestrations and it does not.  As to ALW's newest, I would only want to hear it for Larry Blank's orchestrations - I do believe and he did them all, no matter what the credit says - but I'll find it down the pike in a used CD store for a lot less than its current selling price.

Does this explain, DR Elmore, why I have eight different recordings of "Annie Get Your Gun," even though it's not one of my more favorite scores? I mean there's one with someone named Susie Quattro, and I haven't a clue as to who she is. But it must have been $4 or $5 in a used CD bin someplace, so it ended in the collection, along with the two Ethels, the Mary, the Bernadette, the Delores, the Betty and the John McGlinn. 

Susie Quatro was on "Happy Days"

JMK

« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2010, 03:20:53 PM »

JMK

« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2010, 03:21:14 PM »

I could have sworn she made a film with Michael J. Fox, but that must some other one hit wonder from the 80's, LOL.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up