Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A FERVENT WISH  (Read 26190 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:A FERVENT WISH
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2004, 02:01:55 PM »

THE MUSIC MAN is a perfect movie for the holiday weekend. The probelm is, they're running the wrong one.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2004, 02:07:26 PM »

Hope to get to THE MARX BROTHERS documentary later this afternoon or early evening.

Yes, I have that MATINEE laserdisc with the MANT! featurette, too. I never bought the DVD, but I'm disappointed they didn't repeat this on the DVD issue. Drat!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2004, 02:09:40 PM »

Not looking good for rights resolution today, as it's already after five in NY.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2004, 02:17:45 PM »

I think the BBQing you describe is something that does not exist here.

Oh, but it do, girl, it do!

The History of Grill Dome Canada
The passion for Barbeque started in 1991 with our first open pit whole hog experience. After three years of this primitive method of preparing a whole hog, our first homemade smoke cooker was built and we haven't stopped expanding and experimenting with barbeque.
Having purchased, made and used other smoke cookers, our quest for a smoke cooker for our varying climate continued. With the frustration of metal cookers that lose most of their heat in the winter and were difficult to control in the hot summer months, the search began for an alternative.

During a barbeque competition in 2001 we competed against a team that brought something new, a ceramic cooker. While the cooker itself looked odd to us, the concept it held was intriguing.

A Canadian magazine was running an ad for Grill Dome USA and it caught our attention. After several e-mail communications and a trip down to Atlanta, Georgia the first pair of domes arrived in Canada. It only took a couple of cooks to realize that we found an incredible new tool in barbeque cooking.

With 10 Barbeque competitions under our belt and having experienced 2 of the most well known competitions in the United States, we start on our latest venture, Grill Dome Canada.

Canadians are only now starting to enjoy the experience of true barbeque. Before the introduction of smokers, we thought (and some still do) that the gas grill was the only barbeque option. Until you've tried what a smoke barbeque can produce, you don't know what you're missing. The best part is, smokers aren't just for meat. We've enjoyed baked goods, appetizers, vegetables and even desserts. Some of our experimenting has come over what has been the harshest Canadian winter in years. With temperatures dipping down to -17oC during the day, we were enjoying a delicious smoked cooked pork shoulder.

And you can get a model in basic black for Panni.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Robin

« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2004, 02:18:31 PM »

A few of my favorite horror/sci-fi obscurities:

I Bury the Living! creeped me out, big time.  So did Horrors of the Black Museum, Fiend Without a Face (which has one of the best payoff reels in sci-fi history), and It Conquered the World (which works for me as well as it's mid-budget cousin Invasion of the Body Snatchers).  Oh, and Kronos pretty much rules!

Some others I love, but for altogether different reasons:
Teenagers from Outer Space
The Brain from Planet Arous
The Astounding She Monster
Robot Monster

and, last but certainly not least:
The Beginning of the End
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2004, 02:27:19 PM »

Yep, I remember both movie/pilots now.  Genesis II was definately the better of the two.  It had the same feel as the original Star Trek series, cinematically and thematically.  Planet Earth, on the other hand, was a much duller affair that just rehashed some of the Genesis II concepts.

Planet Earth also had the added benefit of being unintentionally hilarious.  When the Amazons of the Future drug their men into being a bootlicking lackeys, they're called "Dinks"...and of course, one of the women has to make out with John Saxon to get the emasculation drugs out of his system.  Man, I thought I'd die laughing...!

As big a Star Trek geek as I am, I've never bought the notion that Gene Roddenberry was a great writer.  He did an incredible job creating Star Trek, but all of the series' best-loved episodes were written by other people.  

Oh, well...just my two cents.  

Now, I'm off to watch Ken Jennings kick some intellectual ass on today's episode of Jeapordy!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 02:28:04 PM by Robin »

Robin

« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2004, 02:33:10 PM »

Jeapordy! has been pre-empted by Wimbelton Tennis.  Tennis exists only to remind me there's a sport more boring than golf.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2004, 02:33:26 PM »

Yes, I agree with your choices DRROBIN....I didn't list BEGINNNG OF THE END, because it's not obscure in these parts....LOL....

IT CONQUERED THE WORLD....wooooohooooooo.  I also liked THE LAST WOMAN ON EARTH with Betsy Jones-Moreland.

There hasn't been much (just MB and me) comment on THIS IS NOT A TEST....about a group of people who try to survive a coming nuclear attack in a large semi truck and trailer.  I N T E N S E!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2004, 02:34:10 PM »

Well, I mentioned this before here but TARGET EARTH (the 1950s sci-fi flick, not the CHristopher Meloni miniseries) really creeped me out as a very, very young kid. I had nightmares about the robots in this film for weeks after I saw the movie. The film so traumatized me that I blotted out the name of it for many decades. Then, when discussing sci-fi with critic Bill Warren, I mentioned this film with robots and he knew instantly which movie I was talking about. I found a copy of it in a half price bin several years ago and watched it. It's laughable now, of course, but it sure scared me 45 years ago!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2004, 02:34:30 PM »

Oh and TEENAGE MONSTER!!!  And THE DAY MARS INVADED EARTH!!!

More after rehearsal!  I can't find the other CD that BK did the notes for....whew!  A search for his output brings up pages and pages and pages.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2004, 02:34:45 PM »

...and pages...and pages of work!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2004, 02:36:36 PM »

MATTH - producer Herman (I am the Captain of this Ship) Cohen does a great commentary on the TARGET EARTH DVD!!!

Oh....and I took out the part of my post about Cloris and Robert....but I had been quoted....LOL.  

Don't ever make a mistake here, DR'S.....you will be haunted the whole live long day by your ignorance!   ;D

Time to make the donuts..... :-X

Michael

« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2004, 02:44:10 PM »

First happy Dominion Day aka Canada Day to all my friends and family up in Canada
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2004, 02:45:07 PM »

Favorite BBQ would have to be baby back ribs. I eat them way too often and too much of them at one time.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2004, 02:51:07 PM »

My favorite film that had a BBQ in it has to be Fried Green Tomatoes. Although I don't think I would have liked to eat ther BBQ surprise that they fed the Sherrif.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2004, 02:52:10 PM »

I think the classiest Sci Fi film and favorite one has to be the Andromena Strain because at the time I thought it really did happen.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2004, 03:06:34 PM »

I've told this story before and I almost put it in the first Kritzer book but couldn't find a place for it.

I saw Target Earth at a sneak preview at the Baldwin Theater.  When the robot made its first appearance I went running up the aisle and right out of the theater, losing one of my thongs (the shoe, not the underwear) in the ivy in front of the theater.  We never found it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2004, 03:10:50 PM »

Late-breaking news: Tammy just talked to the author's agent for our second backup play and she said we definitely have the rights, she just doesn't know who's going to draw up the contract (apparently it's with one of the play services now, but not one we've dealt with) or what the per-show fee is.  So, we've got to have a casting session on Saturday and lock in a cast by Monday or Tuesday.  Of the three plays, I just about like this one the best, for several reasons.  It's not as controversial as our first backup play, The Shape of Things by Neil LaBute.  But Tammy's role in the second backup is more likeable and friendly and I think that's important.  The audience will not like the character in The Shape of Things.  In any case, unless something goes terribly awry (hopefully it can't, given that it was the author's AGENT who said we definitely have the rights), we'll be doing Rebecca Gilman's Blue Surge.  The show was originally done in Chicago at The Goodman and then at The Public in NY, both productions directed by the great Robert Falls.  It was done last year at the Magic Theater in SF, but this will be its LA premiere.

Tomovoz

« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2004, 03:18:22 PM »

Did anyone else ever think that the guy from The Buckinghams who sang lead on "Kind of a Drag"  was actually singing "Canada Dry"?
:) And we don't have "Canada Dry" here.
Come to think of it , "Kind Of a Drag" was not a hit here either. But I still think it's funny.
My next door neighbour's kids used to sing along with John Denver - "Amost Heaven west of Ginger".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2004, 03:21:32 PM »

I'm too late for the vibes but I have been playing Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman music this week - maybe it helped.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2004, 03:23:30 PM »

So, are you looking for a baked potato with a crispy skin?  or more like "oven-baked" fries, but done on the grill.

Getting potatoes to crisp on the grill is not really something that's easily accomplished.  They get crisp in the oven since they're being cooked in dry heat.  A grill is dry, but... I think they'd just get too smokey. ??? You'd basically have to treat your grill as an oven, place the potato slices - which have been oiled - on a high rack - and see what happens.

Now there's always baking the potatoes on the grill - or wrapping them in foil and burying them in the coals.  -Slice them up a little bit, add some oil and spices, wrap in foil, place in fire.. wait... Very much a camp-fire staple.

Ha, I see I explained it well. :(

No, not baked pototoes.  I meant sliced wedges (when you oil and season them and put them in the oven for an hour).

I'm wondering if I put them in aluminum on the grill if they would get crispy.

MBarnum

« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2004, 03:26:33 PM »

Right now on LuxuriaMusic.com they are playing LUAU CHA-CHA-CHA by: ANNETTE FUNICELLO (or is it JRand53 in disguise?)

At first I thought it was Margerita Sierra!

Tomovoz

« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2004, 03:30:04 PM »

I have a memory of BK having some connection to either "New York New York" or "Lucky Lady". The memory goes way back to "The Real A" days so I may be way way way way off. Can't find any liner notes to either.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2004, 03:33:09 PM »

Ha, I see I explained it well. :(

No, not baked pototoes.  I meant sliced wedges (when you oil and season them and put them in the oven for an hour).

I'm wondering if I put them in aluminum on the grill if they would get crispy.

Not necessary.  You can get them to "caramelize" either in the oven or in a pan on your stovetop...just make sure you have oil in the potatoes at the end of the cooking process.

Anything cooked on a grill will get crunchy at some point...but that's not always a good thing.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2004, 03:33:16 PM »

DR Der Brucer, not sure where in Canada they do true BBQing.  But I've never heard of anyone doing it here.  To everyone here BBQing is what you call GRILLING. :)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2004, 03:34:33 PM »

I don't claim to know anything about cooking, but I don't see how one can barbecue over gas.  Isn't the idea is that the smoke from the fire adds to the flavor?  I've done charcoal, mesquite, etc.  But please tell me: If it's gas, is it still BarBQ?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2004, 03:42:42 PM »

So, I'm happy to announce (barring anything crazy happening) that the play we'll be doing is Rebecca Gilman's Blue Surge.  I really like it, and it will be fun to work on.  Terrific role for Tammy, and the other four characters are all interesting and good parts.  Totally different than our other two choices.  Blue Surge was originally directed by Robert Falls in Chicago and then at the Public in NY.  If anyone saw it there, I have some questions about the set.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2004, 03:51:48 PM »

GREAT NEWS, BK!!!

-There was actually some sort of "hold" on Rebecca Gilman plays here in DC until this past year.  Apparently, some "larger" theatre in area wanted to produce one of her plays, but just ended up "holding" the rights to it - well, more like "holding up" the rights - to the play they wanted to do and any other Gilman play.  It really was kind of strange having no Rebecca Gilman play produced in this area for the past couple of seasons - considering every other "theatre town" across America had.  SPINNING INTO BUTTER finally got produced by a small company a few months ago due to some creative workings and very persistent phone calling.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2004, 03:55:06 PM »

Re: the pototoes

I know I can cook them in the oven.  But sometimes in the summer I'd rather not turn the oven on, and I was just asking if there was an easy way to make them crispy on the BBQ.

BK re: The Shape of Things

I just saw that play in the last month or two, and while the female part is not well liked, it is a good part.

Also, I did not see the show in NY, so I have no idea how it was staged there.  But the director here did something extremely cool.

There were two levels to the set. The top level had a garden on one side and a bedroom on the other.  The bed was against the wall (from the floor to the ceiling).  It was standing up.  And it made for the neatest bedroom scenes. I loved it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2004, 03:56:53 PM »

I don't claim to know anything about cooking, but I don't see how one can barbecue over gas.  Isn't the idea is that the smoke from the fire adds to the flavor?  I've done charcoal, mesquite, etc.  But please tell me: If it's gas, is it still BarBQ?

Well... You could start some very heated (pardon the pun) discussions regarding the nature of true BBQ...

Most of my friends with gas grills got them mainly because they're easier to "operate".  And from a health standpoint, there's less carcinogenic material involved.  However, most gas grills do allow you to use wood chips now, so that if you want that woodsy-smoky flavor you can have it if you so wish.

I've seen some of those major rigs that BBQ competitors use, and they're usually a combination of wood and gas.  The gas is used to help maintain a constant flame and heat, and the wood is used to help the flavor.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 03:58:31 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up