Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A FERVENT WISH  (Read 26243 times)

MBarnum

Re:A FERVENT WISH
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2004, 11:39:33 AM »

.......John Saxon replacing Cord in the lead.  He wasn't nearly as good, in my opinion,

Uh, oh! Them could be fightin' words to JRand53! LOL!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2004, 11:44:15 AM »

Actually, I just watched a fairly unknown low-budget sci-fi film from 1974, which I'll be talking about in tomorrow's notes - Saul Bass' Phase IV.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2004, 11:45:37 AM »

You're thinking of Genesis II, which was indeed a pilot for a series that never came to be.  It starred Alex Cord as the man from our present who was reawakened in the future.  Mariette Hartley played the villian/love interest, presumably to be a recurring role, and Ted Cassidy played one of the good guys.

The outdoor city scenes were filmed at the University of California, Riverside.  It was a very pretty campus, at the time.

Roddenberry's second attempt to tell the story was titled Planet Earth, with John Saxon replacing Cord in the lead.  He wasn't nearly as good, in my opinion, and neither was the second pilot.

Yep, I remember both movie/pilots now.  Genesis II was definately the better of the two.  It had the same feel as the original Star Trek series, cinematically and thematically.  Planet Earth, on the other hand, was a much duller affair that just rehashed some of the Genesis II concepts.

I just checked out the credits on imdb and I stumbled across something I didn't know before:  Gene Roddenberry wrote Pretty Maids All in a Row.  I would have never guessed that.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2004, 11:54:19 AM »

My problem with donuts is that I simply cannot stop at one.  I must have multiple donuts.

Anyone who can have just one donut is an alien masquerading as an earthling. When I was an actress working in Stratford there was a Tim Horton Donuts there which was the primary source of my diet. Donuts for dinner is to die for.

Jennifer

« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2004, 11:54:20 AM »

I've never really tried BarBQ myself.  Grilling, that I've tried, but BarBQ is a slow-cooking method that is as much (if not more) smoking the meat as it is heating it to edible temperature.  It's a time-consuming process, and I rarely have that much time to spare.

I think the BBQing you describe is something that does not exist here.  I know it's big in the south.  But we call grilling BBQing (if it's done on a BBQ then that is what we call it).

DR Jose, your recipes and tips sound great. I will have to read them again.

But I'm not sure I want to cook outside (gas BBQ) for 1 or 2 hours.  I have made ribs many times in the oven.  And I use a recipe that takes a couple of hours at a low temperature.

I guess I should look into recipes where you boil or cook them first and then just BBQ them at the end.

Okay someone will probably hit me, but I always put the BBQ on high (for fish, meat, veggie skewers).  Should I not be doing that?

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2004, 11:55:10 AM »

Has anyone BBQed fruit?  I would also like to try this.

I did try grilling some fruit (no comments from the peanut gallery...) last summer.  I did peaches, plums, and as I recall, pineapple.

Either I didn't do it right, the fruit was too ripe (watch it!), or the fire was either too hot or too cold (oooh! a Frank Loessor reference!).  In the end, it just didn't seem worth it.

I do a nice marinade for London Broil on the grill:  sesame oil, soy sauce, a thicker teriyaki sauce, OJ, honey, garlic, ginger, scallions.  When the cut of meat is just so, and my proportions are just so, and the meat is grilled just so, it can be too, too delish.

I also like grilled chicken.

And sometimes these days, instead of running garlic bread under the broiler inside, if we are grilling we do sort of an herbed grilled bread.  Swipe sliced french or italian bread with some olive oil, then sprinkle each slice with basil, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper.  Grill the unseasoned side briefly, and then filp 'em 'til you see grill marks on the seasoned side.  Again, when the stars align, and everything is just so, it has a lovely smoky, herb-y flavor.

And as long as the coals are a-burning, there's no topper to a nice BBQ than a round of S'mores, and some ice cold watermelon.....not everything at a BBQ needs to be cooked!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2004, 11:55:22 AM »

What, no vibes?  Skammen.  How can we get our rights without the potent HHW vibes and xylophones?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2004, 11:59:01 AM »

Some cool vibes from the master of vibes for BK's play prospects

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2004, 12:01:51 PM »

Since we are on the subject of grilling/BBQ-ing, here's a sub-topic:

Charcoal, or gas?

I for one would never think to have a grill other than a charcoal one.  With one of those starter chimneys, especially, they are a snap, and the food tastes so much better than on a gas grill, IMHO (in my humble opinion, in internet lingo).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2004, 12:01:57 PM »

Anyone who can have just one donut is an alien masquerading as an earthling. When I was an actress working in Stratford there was a Tim Horton Donuts there which was the primary source of my diet. Donuts for dinner is to die for.

Tim Horton?  Didn't he write The Trip to a Bountiful Waistline?
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2004, 12:03:32 PM »

When I was an actress working in Stratford there was a Tim Horton Donuts there which was the primary source of my diet.

There are now Tim Horton's in the Rochester area.  Though I have to say that the donuts did not impress me.  Could it be because they were purchased at about 1 AM, and had probably been in the racks for some time?

Panni

« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2004, 12:04:09 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]POTENT VIBES AND XYLOPHONES FOR THE SECOND BACKUP![/move]

Panni

« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2004, 12:59:45 PM »

Nobody has posted since my post an hour ago??? Double skammen!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2004, 01:00:33 PM »

Double ditto.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2004, 01:03:08 PM »

It just occurred to me that if we don't hear from any of these rights holders today, we won't hear until Monday at the earliest.  We just talked to the agent for the first backup, who didn't know anything about us wanting to do the show (which means that the Broadway Play Service idiot lied to me and didn't send my e-mail yesterday).  That agent is now trying to help us get an answer.  Don't know where we stand with the second backup.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2004, 01:11:37 PM »

I'll be spending all day Saturday at my sister's 4th of July Barbeque/Pool party.  I was thinking of going out and buying a croquet set to play with the kids.  Is croquet any fun?  Or should I go out and buy some lawn darts and water balloons instead?
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2004, 01:14:53 PM »

Yes...well....John Saxon can be in a boring program....but John Saxon is rarely boring himself.

THE CREEPING TERROR has some of the weirdest narration I have ever heard.  Although the carpet that eats people is the wackiest!  Some of the victims crawl right in!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2004, 01:17:07 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Good vibes for RIGHTS....yes RIGHTS for the play!!!!   8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2004, 01:20:44 PM »

I'll be spending all day Saturday at my sister's 4th of July Barbeque/Pool party.  I was thinking of going out and buying a croquet set to play with the kids.  Is croquet any fun?  Or should I go out and buy some lawn darts and water balloons instead?

Slip N' Slide!!!!!!

-I always loved "rotating" the stripe of over-watered, half-dead grass on my parents' lawn when we lived in Seattle - there was a nice hill in the backyard.  Perfect for slipping and sliding!
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2004, 01:30:29 PM »

Dan the Man, we had a lot of fun playing croquet with the kids at my mom's birthday party, so by all means get the croquet set...and the water ballons, so that the losers can lambaste the winner! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2004, 01:32:03 PM »

And especially seriously good "rights" vibes for BK and those involved!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  :P  >:(  >:(  >:( >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  :o  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  :D  [/move]

MBarnum

« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2004, 01:37:41 PM »

Wow, tomorrow morning TCM is playing a movie I have waited years and years to see! The 1930 version of OUTWARD BOUND! I have seen the remake(s) but never that early version! Can't wait!!

I believe the DRACULA's Helen Chandler stars in it. An unusual actress, but I adore her.

Jennifer

« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2004, 01:42:50 PM »

Does anyone here know how to do potatoes on the BBQ?  I would like them to turn out crispy, the way they are after being cut and baked on 375 for 45 minutes to an hour.

I've tried microwaving them and then putting them on skewers.

And I've tried putting them in aluminum foil.  I'm guessing maybe they would just take a really long time?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2004, 01:49:58 PM »

THE KILLER TONGUE (ORIGINAL TITLE:  LA LENGUA ASESINA).
Summary:
 After eating a chunk of meteorite of mysterious origin, Candy and her pack of poodles are transformed, she into a latex fetish queen with a great wig and a five foot long tongue that kills people and harangues her in the voice of Harvey Fierstein, the poodles into a set of color-coordinated drag queens. Meanwhile, Robert Englund runs around acting creepy, Candy's sweaty ex-con boyfriend and the nun who loves him cavort in the desert, and what's left of the meteorite either kills people, heals them, or makes them horny, depending on the circumstances.

I'd pay good money to see that one!

Are we to suspect your wrote the screen play under another name? (Cavorting Nuns sounds Hungarian).
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2004, 01:51:11 PM »

DR Stuart, I have a gas BBQ, and most people I know have gas BBQs.  That seems to be what they sell here.

BK, good vibes to you ~~~~~~~~~~~~.

Re: the people lying to you.  Maybe at least you can get the agents or someone to have a word with those people.  I just don't get how they can get away with lying to you.  If the rights are unavailable then they are unavailable.  But they are a business and you are their customer.  I cannot believe that those running the business would be happy with their employees lying.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2004, 01:57:50 PM »

Does anyone here know how to do potatoes on the BBQ?  I would like them to turn out crispy, the way they are after being cut and baked on 375 for 45 minutes to an hour.

I've tried microwaving them and then putting them on skewers.

And I've tried putting them in aluminum foil.  I'm guessing maybe they would just take a really long time?

So, are you looking for a baked potato with a crispy skin?  or more like "oven-baked" fries, but done on the grill.

Getting potatoes to crisp on the grill is not really something that's easily accomplished.  They get crisp in the oven since they're being cooked in dry heat.  A grill is dry, but... I think they'd just get too smokey. ??? You'd basically have to treat your grill as an oven, place the potato slices - which have been oiled - on a high rack - and see what happens.

Now there's always baking the potatoes on the grill - or wrapping them in foil and burying them in the coals.  -Slice them up a little bit, add some oil and spices, wrap in foil, place in fire.. wait... Very much a camp-fire staple.
Make Your Own Luck.

Robin

« Reply #116 on: July 01, 2004, 01:58:24 PM »

Oh the movie within a movie in MATINEE called "Mant" is also a great example of the obscure sci fi flick.

The laserdisc of Matinee contains a Mant! featurette.  I'm keeping the laserdisc, since the deeveedee didn't have it.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2004, 01:59:08 PM »

Just seeing the name MANT! made me burst out in laughter. MATINEE wasn't a perfect movie, but it certainly got that right and was a loving valentine to an era many of us fondly remember.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2004, 02:01:12 PM »

I've spent this afternoon with my replacement copy of KISS ME KATE which came in the mail this morning. I wish I had my original DVD for comparison because I could swear the first half of my first DVD of it was sharper than this one. The sharpness improved about halfway through. (I guess I could be imagining this, but I could have sworn it was sharper. Of course, it's razor sharp throughout compared to the laserdisc.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2004, 02:01:52 PM »

My fervent prayer for you, Dear BK:

May the gods of theatrical licensing smile upon Dear BK and his colleagues, and may Dear BK and his upstanding colleagues be granted the rights to produce that work for the stage that is their first choice.  

And furthermore, when it premieres, may their production be so outstanding, so well-reviewed and so well-sold that the individuals associated with the properties over which they are giving Dear BK and his colleagues such tsuris right now will have no choice but to eat their hearts out.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 02:12:30 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up