News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FRUIT  (Read 18766 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FRUIT
« on: October 16, 2004, 12:00:27 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have fruitified you, and now it is time to post until the fruity cows come home.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 11:59:33 PM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:FRUIT
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 12:09:00 AM »

I used to love wearing cherries as earrings when I was a child. You know -- two cherries on a stem hung over your ears. Very fetching.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 12:25:09 AM »

I love apple and lemon turnovers.

Wait, that came out strangely.  I love apple turnovers, and lemon turnovers.  That's better.

Der Brucer is more of a cherry man than I am, and he loves fresh peaches in season.

Duck is almost always served with some kind of fruit sauce, the tangier the better.

And Chinese sweet-and-sour sauce needs that pineapple component, or it doesn't taste right.  Goes great with chicken or pork or shrimp.

Applesauce is a natural pairing with pork, too.  

I came across an interesting applesauce variation recently, from chef Ming Tsai.  Cut a small red onion into 1/4 inch dice, saute over medium heat in a medium skillet with 2 T. vegetable oil.  After eight or ten minutes, when the onions have browned, add 1 1/2 t. five spice powder (a mixture of cinnamon, fennel, anise, ginger, and clove, generally found in the Oriental section of the market), 1 T. brown sugar, 2 Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, and again cut into 1/4 inch dice), and 1 cup apple juice.  Season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 12 minutes.  The apples should still be recognizable as diced apples.  Stir in 1 T. butter, and correct the seasonings.

(I'm thinking of serving this with ham.  Now all I need is to decide on a good starch, like garlic and chive mashed taters.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 12:27:39 AM »

Tomatoes are also a fruit, by the way, but sharing tomato ideas might be better for another day.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 12:29:52 AM »

I've never been particularly fruity either.  I can eat apples, oranges, grapes (green preferably), bananas, strawberries, pineapple, maybe or two other things, but it's rarely something I go after on my own.  If it's in front of me, I'll nibble.  And every once in a while in a ill-fated, short-lived nod to health, I might actually procure some.  Most of my fruit comes in the form of fruit juices.  I know I should eat more, but...

Charles Pogue

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 12:33:38 AM »

Woody, I love everything that comes from tomatoes, but tomatoes...tomato sauce, tomato juice, ketchup...but the tomato itself is hard for me to swallow, so to speak.

I've never been fond of any form of melon either.

We have two lemons trees in our backyard.  Most of them rot, before they're ever plucked.  I don't even like a slice of lemon with my diet coke.   and though I'll eat it, lemon pie is not something I'll go out of my way for.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 12:50:06 AM »

My grandfather had several lemon trees in his back yard, resulting in several bags of lemons in our garage each year.  These, in turn, resulted in many lemon merangue pies from my mother, which he loved.

She was also good at turning pomegranate juice into the most amazing jelly.  I got to juice the pomegranates every year, from the bushes in our yard.

Melons?  I grind fresh pepper on them, a taste I acquired from said grandfather.  They're also great with proscuitto.

What else to do with lemons...Well, there's veal picatta, or the picatta variations with chicken or pork (since veal is pricy and many people object to it on principle).  I use the juice for the sauce, as well as the freshly grated zest.

For that matter, a lemon and oil dressing on salads can be a lot more interesting than oil and vinegar.  And the zest works here, too.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 12:52:57 AM »

Lemons....lemonade, lemon slices, and lemon meringue pies are all favorites of mine.

Fried apples are also very good.

I also have had a grape pie, which was interesting.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 12:58:01 AM »

Frankly, I find the cherry garnish in a Manhattan totally unnecessary.

But der Brucer does insist on having two olives in his gin martini, when he has one.  Olives are a fruit, aren't they?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 01:00:34 AM »

Click here and scroll down for a Grape Pie recipe - and a recipe for a Grape Meringue Pie.  :o

http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m022703.htm#2
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2004, 04:46:16 AM »

Good morning, all!  So it's a fruit day?  I try to have a banana at least once a week because I was told they're full of potassium, which is good for preventing charley horses.  I go through crazes:  fresh granny smiths for a while, then fresh kiwi. fresh plums, and I never turn down a grape, green or purple.

Cooked, I prefer pastry:  apple pie being a favorite, but my mother's family had the recipe and I find nothing as good in New York, except the Little Pie Company comes closest.  Baked apples are wonderful, too.

Lemon is great with shrimp, broccoli, and chicken.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2004, 05:34:59 AM »

I LOVE fruit! Apples, pears, kiwi, bananas, grapes, cherries, BLUEBERRIES (a fave), oranges, grapefruit, melon, raisins, dried cranberries, peaches, nectarines. I could go on and on, but you get the picture. Nothing like a sweet peach in the summertime or a tart, crisp apple, fresh from the Greenmarket, on a cool fall day. Ummm, heaven. I don't cook much with fruit, prefering to eat it raw, though I do enjoy fruit-based desserts such as peach cobbler or apple pie or blueberry pie. A big bowl of mixed, chopped, fresh fruit with plain yogurt makes a great lunch for me.

I agree, Donald does a WONDERFUL job each week with his radio show. He deserves a Pat, a George, A Ronald, a David or a whatever on the back for all the work involved. I'm so glad my computers are able to pull in the show. The Radio Show is how I found this here site in the first place. I listened to all the old archived shows at the "other" site and then googled and found HHW and was able to pick up again, filling my insatiable need for internet radio while working. Thanks a million Donald for all your work and dedication to this site and your radio show!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2004, 06:56:25 AM »

I like to serve (and eat) a huge fruit salad - with whatever's in season (local berries, peaches, apricots; plus the occasional tropical fruit). As for concoctions, I like to use fruit (mango, papaya, pineapple) in a salsa, which I serve with fish.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2004, 07:55:31 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm more or less an equal opportunity when it comes to fruit.  (Am I gonna regret typing that statement?  Eh... I'll leave it.)

When Granny Smith apples are in season - at least the domestic ones - I will buy them by the bag and have at least one or two a day.

Berries are good too - strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.  However, with all the mass-farmed stuff out there, it's very hard to find some decent stuff in the supermarket, but farmer's markets and roadside stands are a good source.  *And I'm a big fan of the frozen "wild" Maine blueberries.

When I was growing up, my parents would always have melons during the summer.  They would cut them up into slices, make melon balls, and make a sort of "agua fresca" with the melon juice - that was my favorite way!  They would grate the melon on the large side of a box grater into a pitcher with some ice cubes in it.  So cold, so fresh, so refreshing.  Cantaloupe was my favorite.

In the past few years, I've started trying some more "adult" preparations.  Strawberries with freshly ground black pepper and/or balsamic vinegar.  Melon with freshly ground black pepper and prosciutto.  Watermelon with a dash of salt.

...And there's still something comforting about taking a strawberry or other piece of fruit and using it to scoop out a big dollop of Cool Whip right from the tub... :)

DR SWW - I've tried that applesauce recipe from Ming Tsai - very good.  Pairs well with roast pork, pork chops, ham, etc.  As for a starch, how about some horseradish or wasbai mashed taters?

OK... I need to get ready for the first 10 out of 12.  -And I just realized that since we finish at Midnight tonight, and then I have orchestra rehearsal tomorrow morning at 9:00... Hmmm...  I guess I should go ahead and take advantage of the wake-up call service here.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2004, 08:14:03 AM »

Fruit - Ice Cold Watermelon is my favorite.  Then there is the banana with peanut butter on it.  I love apples if they are firm, oranges if they are seedless, and most tropical fruit.  The best way to eat an apple is in fritter form... nice and crunchy on the outside, moist on the inside.  

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2004, 08:20:18 AM »

Figs!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2004, 08:48:04 AM »

Elmore - Did you know you are mentioned in a footnote in Ethan Mordeen's new book THE HAPPIEST CORPSE I'VE EVER SEEN?  Strange book... half I agree with totally and half I think is a lot of bullcrap.  Also, he doesn't make it easy to read with all the unusual long words he uses.

I saw an ad for a revival of the 1966 flop A JOYFUL NOISE (recently issued on CD) starring Clay Akins.  I assume he is playing the John Raitt role since one of the problems with the original was that Raitt was too old.  But there were no other credits.  Is the Michael Bennett choreography being re-created or is there new choreography for this production?  And who else is in it, particularly who is playing the Karen Morrow role?  I know there are some Aiken fans on this here site, so maybe you know.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2004, 09:55:17 AM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  I slept a LOT - just got up a few minutes ago.  It's quite gray out here in the Angeles of Los - perhaps summer is over.  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2004, 10:06:09 AM »

I love fruit a lot, but I haven't been buying much lately.  When I look at it in the supermarket, I think it's over-priced and that I could do better over in Jersey at one of the roadside vendors.  Of, course, most of those are now closed for the season and those that are open are only selling apples and pumpkins anyway.

But on occaision I do make it over to the Reading Terminal here in Philly, where the fruit is cheap and exotic (sort of like--ah, never mind...)  I love a good crunchy, snappy red deliscious apple, though I've come to like romes and galas, too.  Peaches, plums  and necturines are great, too, but their season is pretty much done here.  I've tried the new (new to me, anyway) b;ack and red seedless grapes, but I find them a little too sweet and prefer the basic green ones (love them frozen.)  Pineapples and Chinese apples are worth the effort it takes to eat them, too.

And I hate grapefruit.

I love to eat bananas with ice cream and with my Cheerios in the morning.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2004, 10:14:49 AM »

Given my feelings about fruit it does seem odd that I wrote a paean to fruit in my musical, Feast (a musical about food), entitled I Love Fruit.  It was sung by Miss Diana Canova in what was a really incarnation of the character she would play in Nudie Musical.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2004, 10:27:15 AM »

At noon I'm seeing the fully edited Act One of What If - I've already been warned that I might not like it (by they guy who actually shot it) - we shall see.

Right now I am running to Tower Records in West Hollywood.  Well, that would be quite a run (about 10 miles) so maybe I'll drive over there instead.

Emily

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2004, 10:40:57 AM »

Jay I'll second your "fig" exclmation :)

I also like grapes when they're stored in the fridge and get all cold (ice wine? lol), clementine oranges from Morocco, pomegranates and peaches.

Someone should write a song called "Pomegranates and Peaches" - their names sound right together...
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2004, 10:41:30 AM »

I am a big fruit person. Love all of it but especially red, crisp apples, oranges, tangerines, and grapes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2004, 10:43:32 AM »

I am getting ready now to sit down and enjoy the first THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT. I have never been much of a fan of Part II - too much Kelly and Astaire at the expense of other talented performers. I think Part III is superb and because they had already used up most of the best clips for the first two parts, the producer/directors dug up interesting clips to mix things up a bit. I think it succeeds brilliantly for someone really interested in musical films. A casual fan might find it dull.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2004, 11:06:16 AM »

BK, why do you go to Tower Records in West Hollywood?  Given your location isn't Tower Records in Glendale closer and more easily accessible?  And right up the street is our favourite bookstore, BOOKFELLOWS...one-stop shopping.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2004, 12:40:49 PM »

With all this talk about fruit I decided to eat a banana, but they were too soft.  I only eat them just as they turn from green to yellow.  

I like just about any fruit that isn’t tart.  Recently I decided I don’t really care for figs unless they have been dried.  

I love red apples and use to eat one every day until they began giving me a stomach ache.  Now I rarely have one or Keith saves the core of his apples for me.  In the summer we had watermelon almost every day.  Little sweet tomatoes are grown locally in the summer and taste like candy.  I eat as many of those as I can find.

We have a pear tree and I usually make juice with the pears, adding Fugi apples.  I didn’t take the time this year and am sitting here wishing I had.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2004, 12:49:39 PM »

A couple of the fruits I like that haven't been mentioned are eggplant and okra.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 12:50:15 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2004, 01:00:08 PM »

I didn't buy anything at the moving sale -- but they had an incredible collection of things orange -- including an orange TV set from the 60's. I fell in love with a group of various orange vases and various containers and almost bought them -- I still might go back and do it. But WHY???

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2004, 01:03:38 PM »

I don't think there is any fruit that I don't like! I am particularly fond of fruit pies! I do try to have a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, but oddly enough, with diabetes there are some fruits (most) and vegies that I am suppose to stay away from...or at least keep to a minimum....which is sad  >:(

Panni

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2004, 01:05:27 PM »

I also went back to the new home environment today. Walked around the neighborhood and went into the house. I love it more each time I see it! And I found out that at Christmas time one of the wealthier denizens of the hood pays for a neighborhood parade which goes up and down the streets. One man I talked to (he was having a yard sale) said that last year he opened his home and had his model trains running for kids to come in and look at. Sounds like Capra should be living there!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up