Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FRUIT  (Read 18769 times)

Danise

Re:FRUIT
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2004, 07:43:59 PM »

Howdy all.  

Well, the week that lasted a month (that’s the way it felt) is finely OVER!  Thank goodness! I was so tired last night that I went to bed shortly after crawling in the door.  I hope next week is much, much better.  

Not that today was an easy one.  I took the memory foam pad I bought for my Mom back to the store since she refused to even try it.  Why?  Don’t ask me.  I couldn’t get her to go out with me today to try to get the flu shot either.   I won’t be able to get one but at her age and with her health history, I know she should have it.  

Anyway, the van overheated but I was near Target store so I just pulled in under a tree and let it cool down.  I bought water to put in it when a guy came up to me and asked if I needed help.  I told him, no, I had a pretty good handle on it.  I know better to try to open the radiator cap while it is hot and I also know to run the engine when it cools down enough to put the water in so you don’t crack the engine block by putting cold water in.  You also don’t pour the whole gallon in at one time for the same reason.  A little water at a time does the trick.

He said he had some shopping to do but would check back when he came out but I was long gone by then.  It was nice of him to offer to help.  I remember another time when I had a flat tire and had to change it by myself.  I didn’t have AAA at the time.  I think it was shortly after that I joined.

It’s like, I understand the principals of changing a tire but having the strength to crack the lug nuts is something else.  I’ve even tried the old jumping on the tire iron trick but that doesn’t always work.  Especially when they use one of those air guns to put them on.

According to the Weather Bug in the lower corner of my computer it is 63 degrees here in sunny Florida!  Do any of you have a Weather Bug in the lower corner of your computer?  It’s a nice little free program to have.

We had a zero moon phase the other night, according to the Weather Bug.  It made me think.  If werewolf’s come out on the night of a full moon, what would someone turn into on the night of no moon?  What would be the opposite of a werewolf?   Something totally hairless?  Like one of those hairless dogs?  An interesting thought, don’t you agree?

Now I miss my pair of red slipper/socks I lost in NYC.  I shall have to check at the local Walmart for another pair.  I’m just not into wearing shoes.  

Panni, I saw the pictures of your soon to be new home.  I have to say that the windows look like the windows in our house.  Do they open out?  Most of ours do.

I’m glad to read that Boggie may have found the right vet.  Good vibes to both Boggie (sp?) and Echo.  

TOTD:  Fruit.  I love it!  There is very little fruit that I don’t like.  Green melons and shredded coconut are about the only things I can think of that I can’t eat.  The green melon makes my throat scratchy and I always choke on shredded coconut no matter how much I chew it before I swallow.  

I would LOVE to taste the pomegranate jelly, SWW!  I would also LOVE to have a pomegranate tree/bush/what ever in my yard.  I never can wait for fall so the stores will start to sell them.  Of course, because of the seeds (and no, I’m not going to spit every seed out) I really shouldn’t eat them anymore but I consider them worth the pain.  

In fact, I bought one today!

My parents always called them “Indian Apples”.  I don’t know why.  A Pittsburgh/Northern thing?   When I was younger, I could never understand why no one understood what I was talking about when I would ask for an Indian Apple.  And to think they are the “cause” of summer and winter.  A Greek myth reference.  

One bit of good news from last week—I won the T-shirt design contest again.  It was the design I thought they would go for, considering we are a government agency and the walk is in the same month as the Presidential elections.  

I guess I’ll have to start thinking about what to do for next year.  

Opps, caught up again on the posts.  I’m sure it was all a misunderstanding, Panni, the problem with boards is it is impossible to hear the emotion in the other persons voice or see the expression on their face to know for 100% sure if they are joking or not.  These guys can only help so much.  :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2004, 07:46:01 PM »

I didn't throw us into wide screen mode, did I?  It looks tall on my computer but it does fit.   I don't understand.  I saved it as 480 X 360 like I do all of my photos.  

Hummmm.  Maybe because it's not a photo?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2004, 07:56:48 PM »

Danise, I miss you so much when you take time off from posting. I'm glad all is well.

Re "What If?"  Thanks, BK. I'll take you up on your offer if I don't get to see it live.

Re fruit: This is what I learned from having a kid in a botony class last year: The fruit is the ovary of the plant, so it is the part that contains the seeds. Hence, green beans, okra, tomatoes, are all technically fruit. A vegetable is the stem, flower, leaf, or root of the plant. If I'm wrong, DR Sandra can correct me.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2004, 07:57:48 PM »

Your picture looks fine from where I sit, Danise.

Panni, please don't be gone too long.  Much love to you.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #124 on: October 16, 2004, 07:59:32 PM »

DR Laura, this means that any ripe squash is also a fruit.

This makes zucchini bread the kissing cousin to fruitcake.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2004, 08:01:28 PM »

Aww, thank you, DearReaderLaura.  I missed you guys too.  I read the posts.  I just get in these moods when I feel like I don't have anything anyone wants to hear so I stay away.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #126 on: October 16, 2004, 08:02:01 PM »

Danise the only one of my mother-in-law's elderly friends who got a flu shot waited four hours to do so.  The chances your mother could have gotten one are slim.  Keith's mother is high risk and can't get one.

Thanks for the good vibes.

Night all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: October 16, 2004, 08:06:05 PM »

I'm thinkin' about food now that it is the shank of the evening.  Wait - it was just the shank of the afternoon.  What is a shank anyway?  I know what a skank is but not a shank.  For example, the skank of the evening might be a person out on the town who was quite dirty and nasty-smelling.  But can one have a shank of both the afternoon and the evening?  

Danise

« Reply #128 on: October 16, 2004, 08:13:04 PM »

I've never heard of a shank but I understand the word "food" well enough--what did you have in mind?  

Jane, I know.  The lines for the flu shots are just horrible. I did hear they should have more shots available next month.  That gives me time to "work" on her.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: October 16, 2004, 08:20:35 PM »

Getting back to fruit, there was another discussion a while back between der Brucer and DR Jose about apple butter, particularly when paired with scrapple.

So, without any further delay, here's APPLE BUTTER!

Start by sterilizing four half-pint canning jars, along with their lids and bands.  Yes, this is important.  Keep them in hot (but not boiling) water after sterilizing so that they'll be ready to use.

Peel, core, and coarsely chop seven pounds tart apples, such as Granny Smith or Macoun.  Yes, you read that right, seven pounds.  You can mix and match apple varieties, if you like.  Combine the apples and 1 cup apple cider vinegar in a large, nonreactive pot, cover, and cook for about 30 minutes, until the apples fall apart.  Run the apples through a food mill (coarse disc) or push through a strainer, and return the mush to the pot.

Add to the apples the following: 2 packed cups dark brown sugar, 2 T lemon juice, 1 1/2 t grated lemon zest, 4 t ground cinnamon, 1 1/4 t ground clove, 1 1/4 t ground ginger, 1/2 t ground allspice, and 1/2 t salt.  Cook at a very low simmer for about 90 minutes, watching carefully to make sure the butter doesn't scorch.  When the butter is very thick, test it by putting a spoonful on a plate: if it doesn't leak a liquid ring, it's ready.

Ladle the apple butter into each jar, tapping the jars on the counter to get rid of any air bubbles, and leaving a half inch headspace in each jar.  Wipe the jar rims with a clean damp towel, seal with the lids and bands, and return the jars to the hot water, putting the jars in the water upside down.  Return the water to a boil, and cook for ten minutes.  Remove the pot from the heat, and let the jars cool slightly before removing them from the pot.  As they cool, the vacuum will be created, sealing the jars.  Let the jars cool completely, still upside down, on kitchen towels.

Store the sealed jars in a cool, dark place for 2 weeks or more before serving.  If any jars did not seal for any reason, use those jars first.  Refridgerate the jars after opening.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2004, 08:23:19 PM »

Shank, according to my dictionary, means the tail end of a time period.  It can also mean the early part of a time period.  Or the middle of the time period.

Oh, what the heck, it's five o'shank somewhere.  Cheers!

Danise

« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2004, 08:26:16 PM »

Scrapple.  Not in this lifetime.  Not if my life depended on it.   :P  :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2004, 08:34:56 PM »

It's the wrong season for them, but how about some

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Strawberries Romanoff!!![/move]

Wash, stem, and quarter a pint of strawberries, reserving four small strawberries for garnish later.  Mix the quartered strawberries with 1/4 c sugar, 2 T freshly squeezed orange juice, 2 T triple sec,and a teaspoon freshly grated orange zest.  Cover, and let sit in the refrigerator for a few hours.

(Amazing how many of these recipes call for grated zest, isn't it!)

When ready to serve, whip 1/2 c whipping cream to soft peaks, and gently fold into 1/2 pint softened vanilla ice cream, then gently fold the strawberries into the ice cream mixture.  Serve in martini glasses, or wine glasses, or jelly glasses if that's all you have.  Garnish with the reserved strawberries.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2004, 08:35:30 PM »

Me, I could pig out on scrapple.

;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2004, 08:38:08 PM »

Avocados are a kind of fruit.

Guacamole is therefor a fruit dip!

Danise

« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2004, 08:40:59 PM »

You and my Mom are more than welcome to my share.    :D

I bet you like Braunschweiger (sp?) as well!  Ugh!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2004, 08:43:35 PM »

I'd post a recipe for Crepes Suzette, but it's way long and I don't really feel like going on forever.  It does include naval oranges and lemons, however.

The recipe I'm looking at for Canard a l'Orange goes on and on and on, too.  No, that was three.  Sorry.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2004, 08:45:16 PM »

Braunschweiger?  Not sure if I've had it, but der Brucer is of German heritage, so it wouldn't be looked down upon in our house.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2004, 08:45:50 PM »

Thanks for all the nice posts. There's enough drama in the world without my contributing to it, so let's call the whole thing off. But just to be clear -- I wasn't chastising anyone or anything. I wasn't lecturing. I was merely commenting, giving my opinion. And I was responding not to one post, but generally to the whole E&T thing. The post was simply the catalyst. However - it's no big deal. As I said to a DR who kindly wrote me about all this and quoted some of the posts which followed my "departure" -- Iraq is a big deal, being homeless is a big deal, illness is a big deal. A misunderstanding on a website, even the best website on the internet, is NOT a big deal. End of story. Let's move on.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 08:51:09 PM by Panni »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2004, 08:46:26 PM »

I'll try to be back later; time to take a break.

François de Paris

« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2004, 08:53:21 PM »

Did you hear????

Panni's back!

No panni-cking then!!

Hoo and Ray... for Hollywood!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 09:10:10 PM by François de Paris »

François de Paris

« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2004, 08:57:53 PM »

Thanks for all the nice posts. There's enough drama in the world without my contributing to it, so let's call the whole thing off. But just to be clear -- I wasn't chastising anyone or anything. I wasn't lecturing. I was merely commenting, giving my opinion. And I was responding not to one post, but generally to the whole E&T thing. The post was simply the catalyst. However - it's no big deal. As I said to a DR who kindly wrote me about all this and quoted some of the posts which followed my "departure" -- Iraq is a big deal, being homeless is a big deal, illness is a big deal. A misunderstanding on a website, even the best website on the internet, is NOT a big deal. End of story. Let's move on.

That's exactly the way I took your post!

BK read more than what was in it and did not realize his joking could hurt your feelings! :-\

Let's kiss and make up! :-*

Don't you all think Christopher Reeve's wife is quite a special lady?

People like that -- Reeve and his wife -- are too rare, I think!
That man! What an inspiration!

Danise

« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2004, 08:58:50 PM »

Hi Panni, so glad to see you back!  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2004, 09:00:17 PM »

This pussy, when lectured, has claws OUT, baby.  RLP, did you see that thread about The Jungle Book CD on FSM?  Most amusing.

I saw it earlier, but just went back and took in the rest of it.

Hell's bells.

Who is Manderley?  Do you know?

I also revisited the "Peyton Place DVD" thread and learned I'd not read the entire thread.  LOTS of flinging in THAT thread!  It was loads of fun, too.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 09:00:57 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2004, 09:00:24 PM »

Watched SEVEN BRDIES tonight - the Cinemascope version. Looked simply wonderful, as good as the slightly ruddy Ansco color system could ever look. Sound was fine, too. Didn't look at any extras. I did go back and listen to Stanley Donen's commentary, what little there was of it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Danise

« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2004, 09:01:22 PM »

What time is it in Paris, François de Paris?  I just looked at the clock and saw it is 12:02 AM!  I am going to turn into a pumpkin!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2004, 09:04:19 PM »

Finished the "That's Entertainment" set.  The first film, for me, is the best.  The third one is great, too, but I don't much like "TE2".

I wasn't at all thrilled with the sound situation on the DVDs....everything would be moving along, and suddenly the sound goes from mono to processed (shades of electronically created stereo) sound.   I was watching in the 5.1 mode and had to switch over and simply watch in a basic mono/stereo mix.  One of the numbers from "Good News" sounded great, and then processed sound took over and we were in a vast arena with arena sound blasting away.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 09:49:54 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2004, 09:09:44 PM »

Is it the shank of the evening yet?  I had Buffalo Wings from Koo Koo Roo.  Quite good.  I've moved on to the extras disc on TE, but am not enjoying it too much.  I think I'll go right to the cut numbers side, because I don't like the puff pieces.  The amusing one is for TEIII, with all these new "video" guys hogging the screen and being all self-congratulatory.  I don't like the second OR third film much.  

François de Paris

« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2004, 09:13:11 PM »

What time is it in Paris, François de Paris?  I just looked at the clock and saw it is 12:02 AM!  I am going to turn into a pumpkin!

You'll turn into a pumpkin but... I'll find your shoe! :D

It's exactly 6:15 am right now!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2004, 09:13:29 PM »

RLP: Yes, we know who Manderley is.  

Let's keep the errant and truant thing in perspective, shall we?  When I (or anyone) speaks of it, just assume we're having fun.  I understand now that I'm being told that Panni's post was humorous, but so was the post she was responding to, and I just saw no reason for being what seemed to me all serious about it.  Errant and truant = funny.  It someone doesn't find it funny, move along and ignore it.  Certainly I'm not going to drop one of our longest running gags - EVER.  I am all about the running gags.  ALWAYS.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up