Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHAKING OF THE BOOTY  (Read 20386 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:THE SHAKING OF THE BOOTY
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2004, 02:16:52 PM »

Well, Jennifer, all I can say is that I will be having Chinese food tomorrow afternoon. There is a wonderful Chinese buffet a couple of miles from the house, and I eat there for lunch almost every Saturday afternoon.

I am going out for Chinese food for lunch tomorrow, also.  I am hoping to have Almond Chicken.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Laura II

« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2004, 02:17:54 PM »

Haha, thank you, Jen!

Matt H, eat an extra slice of that cake for me tonight, please!!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2004, 02:18:15 PM »

Why don't we all have Chinese Fried Chicken done in a meatloaf pan with chocolate cake for dessert?

Welcome back, Francois!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2004, 02:22:07 PM »

What is an adult happy meal?

Click HERE to go to the site for McDonald's Happy Meals for Adults.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jason

« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2004, 02:24:06 PM »

For fried chicken recipes, you can go to: http://www.americastestkitchen.com/search.asp or http://southernfood.about.com/library/rec98/bl80517h.htm. I love America's Test Kitchen and their food seems to turn out incredibly well, so I'd go with their recipes, which also includes an oven-fried chicken.

Matt: Thanks for the cake talk! Now I'm going to have to bake when I get to Louisville. My mom has a recipe for an INCREDIBLE orange Bundt cake that uses orange juice and pudding in the batter. Then, when the cake is still in the pan and warm, you pour an orange juice-based sauce on and let it soak in. It is the most dense, moist cake I've ever eaten and I love it, love it, love it. My family also enjoys strawberry cakes made with the Duncan Hines cake mix and covered in strawberry icing. Geez...now I wanna go have some cake!

Panni

« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2004, 02:25:35 PM »

I went out to do a few quick things and have just returned  - THREE HOURS LATER! That's why I must never go out and should just tie myself to the desk and write. Once I escape, the outside world just swallows me up.

Panni

« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2004, 02:27:11 PM »

My new favourite quote:
For all those would-be screenwriters who feverishly clutch their Syd Field or worship at the shrine of Robert McKee or some other guru who has never written a successful screenplay.  Who constantly ask stupid questions about character arcs  and how long should a script be and on what page Act One should end on...this one's for you...

"If you can't write a play without being taught - don't!"
--George Bernard Shaw--

Count me in on the favorite quote list!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2004, 02:38:56 PM »

Cold fried chicken.....sliced tomatoes.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2004, 02:40:15 PM »

DR Laura II, we must have posted at the same time, because when I wrote my post I just saw you were browsing. I hadn't actually seen your post!

Jennifer

« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2004, 02:44:18 PM »

Thanks for the links. I will check out the fried chicken ones later.

DR George: I knew McD's was giving out the stepometre thingies.  But I had never heard the term Adult Happy Meal before.

I think they should have the little toys in them.  Adults like toys too!  :)

Jennifer

« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2004, 02:46:40 PM »

Okay not that I was going to see it this weekend anyhow, but in today's paper it said that they could not release the movie The Terminal today in Quebec(the one with Tom Hanks).

Apparently the french translations got delayed. And they cannot release a movie unless that is done.

So no movie here in Montreal till next week I think.

The movie actually looks really good, although since there is no movie here, we got no reviews.

Jason

« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2004, 02:52:16 PM »

Huzzah! I just got some good news. Our regular payday is this coming Thursday, but I'm leaving for the airport then, so they've agreed to manually do a check for me so I don't have to wait two weeks to pick it up! Woohoo!

Jennifer: Check out the rest of the America's Test Kitchen site, as well...it's really interesting and they have some great recipes.

A couple of friends from work had passes for a screening of THE TERMINAL but for some reason their names weren't on the list, so they got passes to THE NOTEBOOK instead. They both said it was absolutely wonderful--a beautiful film. I guess we'll see...

Panni

« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2004, 02:59:59 PM »

they got passes to THE NOTEBOOK instead. They both said it was absolutely wonderful--a beautiful film. I guess we'll see...
Directed by Nick Cassavetes and his mom is in it. She's always good. But I'm not sure it's my cuppa. I might do it as a mother-daughter thing when Rachel comes back from San Diego. She's reading the book now and will probably want to see it.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2004, 03:03:18 PM »

Has anybody else noticed all of the chicken sites at the top of this page?  Do you think we could all pick a word and use it on the next page, and see how long it takes for the sites to change???  I can think of some fun words to use.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jed

« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2004, 03:14:22 PM »

For fried chicken recipes, you can go to: http://www.americastestkitchen.com/search.asp or http://southernfood.about.com/library/rec98/bl80517h.htm. I love America's Test Kitchen and their food seems to turn out incredibly well, so I'd go with their recipes, which also includes an oven-fried chicken.
Chicken in my house growing up was most always of this oven-fried variety.  Pretty decent, but just not quite the same as the real stuff. :D

My mom has a recipe for an INCREDIBLE orange Bundt cake that uses orange juice and pudding in the batter. Then, when the cake is still in the pan and warm, you pour an orange juice-based sauce on and let it soak in. It is the most dense, moist cake I've ever eaten and I love it, love it, love it.
My favorite cake is just like this, except lemon instead of orange.  Can you say "yummilicious?"  I knew you could.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2004, 03:25:16 PM »

My mom has a recipe for an INCREDIBLE orange Bundt cake that uses orange juice and pudding in the batter. Then, when the cake is still in the pan and warm, you pour an orange juice-based sauce on and let it soak in. It is the most dense, moist cake I've ever eaten and I love it, love it, love it.

Umm, Jason?  You ARE going to get the recipe and post it...aren't you??

And now I'll leave until probably Sunday.  I'm going to walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and walk, etc., etc., etc. (a King and I reference) for The American Cancer Society's Relay For Life.  I have plenty of sunscreen and my hat and a jacket and a blanket and long pants for when it's cold and water and snacks and money.  I think I'm set.  And if not, I can always go to a store (which is less than a mile away) and get what I need.

Have a good weekend, all!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Robin

« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2004, 03:34:13 PM »

Okay...l'll make this short 'n' sweet:

This week's media check:

On deeveedee: Mickey Mouse in Living Color, Volume 2 and The Intruder starring Mr. William Shatner, directed by Roger Corman.  

In the CD player: Sherry! by Laurence Rosenthal and James Lipton, and The Music of Lee Holdridge (one of the early Varese Sarabande CDs).  

What I'm reading:  A Nomad of the Time Streams by Michael Moorcock.

And the reason I'm making this short 'n' sweet: Michael and I are going to the theater to see the uncut, undubbed, uncensored and un-Raymond Burred, original Japanese version of Godzilla!

I am so psyched!!!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2004, 03:49:12 PM »

Matt: Thanks for the cake talk! Now I'm going to have to bake when I get to Louisville. My mom has a recipe for an INCREDIBLE orange Bundt cake that uses orange juice and pudding in the batter. Then, when the cake is still in the pan and warm, you pour an orange juice-based sauce on and let it soak in. It is the most dense, moist cake I've ever eaten and I love it, love it, love it. My family also enjoys strawberry cakes made with the Duncan Hines cake mix and covered in strawberry icing. Geez...now I wanna go have some cake!

I like America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Illustrated, but sometimes they can just get too fussy... and too "deconstructionist".  My biggest beef with them is that they do not suggest using a wok for any type of cooking.  They claim it doesn't function ideally as a cooking device.  WHAT?!?!?  Can 50 Million (Billion-?) Chinese be wrong?!??! ;)

Now don't get me wrong, I do like - and even love - some of their recipes - and recipe "improvements".  It's just that sometimes they take all the fun out of the original recipe, and sometimes their "ideal" of a particular recipe goes against many, many years - and generations of home cooks around the world.

OK... Rant over... But I do subscribe to Cook's Illustrated.

And, DR Jason... If you want cake..  Have you been down to the Magnolia Bakery in The Village?  If not...  GO NOW!!!!  The cupcakes are addictive, and the slices of cake can serve as a meal or two on their own!  My favorites are their coconut cake, and their Devil's Food cake with caramel icing!

Hmm... I may need to hit Ukrop's now and get some baked goods for tonight... Hmm...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 03:52:06 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

François de Paris

« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2004, 03:53:59 PM »

Panni

« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2004, 04:19:18 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone? 6 posts in an one and a half hours? You'd think it was Friday night or something!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2004, 04:33:48 PM »

Good Early Evening!

I'm singin' in the rain...

What a pretty neat afternoon I had today.  I took care of my bills and Father's Day cards, then walked up to school to get some piano practice in.  It was hot today, but it didn't feel as "oppressive" as the TV guys and gals were saying it was.  However, the practice studios up at school are very well A/C'ed - almost chilly sometimes - and it felt great stepping into the lobby after the walk.

Just singin' in the rain...

Today's practicing consisted of the C major scale, the first part of a Bach prelude and read-thru of a Haydn sonata and some really cool - and hard!!! - Rodgers & Hammerstein transcriptions by Stephen Hough.  I think I spent about 45 minutes on the C scale alone!!  My fingers and arms are really out of shape as far as playing on a real piano is concerned.  But today's practice was very good, and I managed to get in just under 3 hours!  And the time went by relatively fast too!  Best of all, however, was the sense of joy I got - even from playing scales! - from just playing for myself.  No conductor to follow.  No patch advance pedal to worry about.  No programming.  No singer to follow.  It was just me and the piano.  It's been a long time!  I just remember hearing Mitsuko Uchida saying in an interview that practicing is simply listening to yourself play.  And it was nice hearing myself play again.  But, boy, does that Bach guy get pretty linear and tricky! ;)

What a glorious feeling...

After practicing, I started the walk back home... and I noticed that the skies were no longer clear and blue like they were when I walked to school.  Well, I saw a few patches of blue... "I can make it back before the rain starts!"  So, I made a small detour and picked up a bubble tea - well, actually, I got an almond slush today with boba (tapioca pearls).  I'm walking... I'm walking... So, I'm sipping away on my slush, and watching the clouds in the distance start to gather and turn grayer and darker.  And the thunder and lightning had started too.  I'm walking faster... I'm walking a lot faster... Well, the wind picks up... And the rain begins... Well, it pours!!  And, of course, I'm still about a good six blocks away from home.  I take cover under a porch, but the wind is blowing so hard, it's blowing the rain under the roof of the porch.  By this time, I have to take my glasses off in order to see anything - which is a strange concept - and my shirt is pretty much soaked, and my backpack is also getting wet too.  Thankfully, I had a plastic bag in my backpack, and I used that to protect my cell phone and wallet.  Once the major downpour ended - along with the quite major lightning - I just said to myself, "It's just water!"  And then I started walking home.  Sometimes leisurely, sometimes a little rushed.  I even skipped too!  I didn't do any major puddle splashing, but I was soaked by the time I got home.  And I liked it!

I'm happy again!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2004, 04:34:02 PM »

DR ROBIN your new avatar is very unique!

I tank I go to rehearsal now.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2004, 04:42:28 PM »

Has anybody else noticed all of the chicken sites at the top of this page?  Do you think we could all pick a word and use it on the next page, and see how long it takes for the sites to change???  I can think of some fun words to use.

You see it on this page?  I only see the Tony Central thing.

The only ads I ever see are on the hhw.com/community main page.

Panni

« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2004, 04:42:32 PM »

Jose - Just wanted to tell you that I always enjoy reading your posts. Your "Singing in the Rain" post was exceptionally good!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2004, 04:52:38 PM »

Now back to the food...

Meatloaf - I like all kinds!  DR Marnum's spinach variation sounds very tasty, and I think I may have had something similar, but the spinach was in a layer.  I also remember eating - and making - the meatloaves where your put the hardboiled eggs in the middle, so when you sliced the loaf, you got this bulls-eye effect.

As for gravy vs. ketchup - My mom and dad would usually have both on the table.  I prefer gravy over ketchup.  I've also come across a recipe where the gravy had ketchup and mustard in it.  -And it was quite tasty too!  -I also like gravy on my french fries - "wet fries".  But I also like putting a layer of ketchup on top of the loaf before it goes into the oven.  -And then you get that "cool" orange-colored grease. ;)

Fried Chicken - Sometimes simple is better - just a coating of seasoned flour before the chicken goes into the hot oil.  But sometimes, all those "crunchies" are good from the batter-dipped variety.  And I also like the southern variation of dipping the fresh, hot, fried chicken in a honey concoction before serving.  YUMMY!  -Especially if there are toasted pecans in the honey mixture.  -A lot of "chicken and waffle" places serve it this way.

As for hot vs. cold - I prefer it hot.  Cold just gets too difficult to eat sometimes - everything seems just to "compact", and the skin isn't as crunchy as it was - or no longer crunchy at all.  But, sometimes cold is good too.

There was a recipe in Gourmet for Maryland Style Fried Chicken a month ago.  Very interesting.  After frying it, you put some water in the pan and kind of steam the chicken.  -It helps keep the chicken moist.  But it does ease the crunch of the coating.  Hmmm...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 05:00:28 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2004, 04:59:27 PM »

Jose - Just wanted to tell you that I always enjoy reading your posts. Your "Singing in the Rain" post was exceptionally good!

Aww.. Thank you very much for the compliment!

:-*

Hmm... Maybe I could forward my manuscript to you... Hmm... Well, not really... But...

???

On a related note - On my walk back home - just before the rain started - I walked past the European Market - that's what it's called, that's what it is.  And prominently featured in one corner of the window was a mix for spaetzle.  And the brand name was... Panni!

Hmm... Now I want some goulash and spaetzle and red cabbage... Hmm...  Oh, and some extra sour cream on the side!  Hmm...

Well, it is dinner time...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2004, 05:22:09 PM »

Well, here she is!...

I mean, here it is!...

I mean here she/it is!...

Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2004, 05:25:18 PM »

Back after a very long day.

This must be fried chicken day here at haineshisway.com.  This must also be siesta day.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2004, 06:01:25 PM »

Happy Birthday, DR Laura!!!

DVDs new to moi:

Newly mastered, 20th Anniversary, 2-CD (DTS, 5.1 surround sound) DVD of "Field of Dreams" with tons of extras including deleted scenes.

Criterion's "Smiles of A Summer Night"

"Chronos" -- in DTS sound.

"The Birds" -- Hitchcock, collector's edition

New CD"

"Finian's Rainbow" on Rhino -- absolutely glorious!  Best-sounding CD out of them ever, to my ears.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2004, 06:17:42 PM »

Funny you should bring up the Panni Spaetzle, Jose... The other day, I Googled Panni (well, why not?) and saw the Panni food products as well as a Panni's Singles Service from Hungary which listed every variation possible (in Hungarian) of coupling.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up