Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WINDMILLS OF MY MIND  (Read 19256 times)

Tomovoz

Re:THE WINDMILLS OF MY MIND
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2004, 06:46:09 PM »

DR Sandra:  Dear Reader Laura has mail!! (here)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2004, 06:46:46 PM »

Jose-- definitely time for you to move.  Your situation is beginning to sound like a Neil Simon play (only without the laughs).
Something from his most recent work?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2004, 06:56:07 PM »

DR Laura.  I am hoping that you are using it in your computer!! It is not music.

My mom is hitting herself on the forehead.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2004, 07:01:25 PM »

DRLaura and Sandra- ;D

Tomovoz, I shall return as close to 2:00PM as possible, tomorrow when your birthday officially beginas for you. :D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2004, 07:02:46 PM »

I'm getting very confused. Not  difficult at my age.  The birthday wishes are indeed welcome but my birthday is December 14th.  It is not December 14 anywhere on the planet yet. Not even in middle earth for another 10 hours.
We are going to celebrate another year for you every day until the actual birthday arrives!

Consider yourself doomed!

:o

::) ;)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 07:12:14 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2004, 07:10:55 PM »

Boy, do I feel stupid. Someone is way behind in the technology age!!

I have the lovliest photos of a great vacation in France.  ;D

Thank you, DR TomovOz!!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 07:11:51 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2004, 07:11:45 PM »

The pork loin chops were fine, the mashed taters nicely mashed, and the carrots quite tasty (I finally decided to add some cayenne to the cooking liquid, along with some brown sugar and butter, which seasoned the roots nicely).

As for the gravy, the jury is fairly positive, but there's some deliberating going on.  I sauteed a little onion and several sliced mushrooms in butter, then added the chestnuts, some of which I had minced and some simply quartered.  A little flour to make a roux, and then some chicken broth for the base liquid.  Some salt and pepper, and the mixture was on a slow simmer until everything else was finished.

But something was missing, an herbal note of some kind.  Der Brucer thinks sage or thyme, or perhaps allspice (which wouldn't be herbal, but who's keeping score).  I'm not sure.  The chestnuts themselves have a sweet flavor to them which needs to be balanced with everything else.  Sour?  Bitter?  I'm very unsure.

But that's the fun of cooking, the discovery of what works and what doesn't.

Tomovoz

« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2004, 07:24:15 PM »

We are going to celebrate another year for you every day until the actual birthday arrives!

Consider yourself doomed

::) ;)
Entering my 60th year is so exciting!! Not.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #128 on: December 12, 2004, 07:27:17 PM »

Oh, my, it's 10:25pm in NYC and I'm just posting (I think) today. It was going to be a day of some rest but that was not to be. We had guests yesterday and I went to bed soon after they left. Anthony was up and out to return to the Isle of Long for a clown show so I did some shopping for said clown. That is all finished but I had other things to do and now I'm here.

I was going to catch up on the days I missed but that won't happen, at least today. What I will do is post a few pictures from Anthony's recent exploits in building a miniature classroom and there is one picture of me working at Broadway Cares (that one first). I look exceedingly tired in this picture. We are on the 2nd floor of the Equity office (the audition space) and I have just emptied a box after filling bags with gift goodies.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: December 12, 2004, 07:28:45 PM »

Oy! Such a night I've had!  I met Russell Warner, raconteur and wonderful orchestrator, at 6:30 at the Mexican restaurant, and our friend from the Library of Congress never showed up!  Around 7:15 I called her hotel and her phone rang a while.  I said to Russell that I hoped she  hadn't had an accident on the way from 74th Street & Broadway to 85th & Broadway.  So, we ordered margaritas and food.  Around 8:15, an elderly man and his wife showed up, asking for me.  It turns out my friend fell on Amsterdam and 83rd Street, knocked herself out, bloodied her nose, and showed signs of trauma when they took her into the Raccoon bar.  It was so kind of the couple to walk up to the restaurant to find me, and while Russell paid the bill, I walked down to the Raccoon Bar to check on my friend.  Russell said he'd meet us there.

One of the bar's owners was taking care of my friend with towels and refreshment, but my friend kept breaking into huge sobs.  It tiurned out the bar had called an ambulance, and even though my friend didn't want to go to an ER, both Russell and I thought it was best for her.  The ambulance crew was wonderful, took her to St Lukes at 59th Street and 10th Avenue.  I just got in after dropping her off at her hotel.  Oy!  Such a night.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2004, 07:29:47 PM »

DRBen, great photo!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2004, 07:31:28 PM »

Here is a picture of the classroom built by Anthony

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2004, 07:32:53 PM »

That's a horrible story, DR Elmore. Your poor friend! Poor you! How is she feeling now? What did they say at the ER?

Ben

« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2004, 07:34:03 PM »

And another

Ben

« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2004, 07:34:56 PM »

Here is Anthony's thumb to give you an idea of the scale

Ben

« Reply #135 on: December 12, 2004, 07:35:59 PM »

And finally, a picture of his cousin, Sue. She is the student who asked for his help in building the model

Panni

« Reply #136 on: December 12, 2004, 07:36:01 PM »

Very cute, DR  Ben! How big is the room? Doll house size? Bigger?

Ben

« Reply #137 on: December 12, 2004, 07:36:47 PM »

Look up at the last picture and you'll see the entire room with a human for scale.

Panni

« Reply #138 on: December 12, 2004, 07:37:27 PM »

Ooops! (Spoo) ...Answered above. Did Anthony make everything from scratch?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #139 on: December 12, 2004, 07:39:47 PM »

Tomovoz how many time zones does Australia have?

Larry, I'm glad you could get to your friend.  Rest well tonight.

Anthony is so talented.

Goodnight.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2004, 07:39:52 PM »

That's a horrible story, DR Elmore. Your poor friend! Poor you! How is she feeling now? What did they say at the ER?

Well, my friend, who's a wonderful musician and librarian, was quite difficult in the ER; she didn't want to go in the first place, but once the ambulance was called, she, Russell, and I were caught up oinn beaurocratic red-tape.  As soon as the doctor checked her out, she was out of there, but it was a good two hours of dealing with the ambulance, insurance, her resistance, mine and Russell's insistence, and her dismissal from St Lukes.  

I'm glad she's all right, but I missed DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES!  I also told her she'd never hear the end of this from me.

Panni

« Reply #141 on: December 12, 2004, 07:40:50 PM »

I asked earlier, but nobody answered, so I'll try again... Read an article about SPAMALOT today and am curious as to what the word is out there... Has anyone heard anything about the show?

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #142 on: December 12, 2004, 07:42:30 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Kerry on Today at 08:13:36pm
Jose-- definitely time for you to move.  Your situation is beginning to sound like a Neil Simon play (only without the laughs).
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something from his most recent work?

Dare you suggest that Simon's recent work, such as Proposals, 45 Seconds From Broadway, and The Dinner Party isn't as good as his hits from the 60's, Barefoot in the Park, The Odd Couple and Plaza Suite?  Have you actually seen these plays, or merely taken the time to play through several of their more famous songs?  Why, I have it on good authority that Proposals is done by regional and communtiy theatres all the time.  The fact that it failed on Broadway means nothing, I tell you, nothing!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Tomovoz

« Reply #143 on: December 12, 2004, 07:43:10 PM »

Tomovoz how many time zones does Australia have?

Goodnight.
Officially 3. Some of us think Queensland is at least a decade behind.

At present I think all States except Queensland are on Daylight Savings time so in reality there are 4 time zones! If that makes sense!!
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2004, 07:49:43 PM »

DR Panni, Anthony made much of the room from scratch. He did use some pieces he had sitting in his box of miniature loot, some of the chairs, I think and other pieces. Some of the furniture was purchased by Sue so they could save time but the books and all the wall coverings and the plants were all made from various and sundried pieces of flora and fauna.

Mr. Larry (btw, I've given a title to your CD, it's "A Very Larry Christmas"), so sorry to hear about your friend. I was going to try and pop uptown to B&N to see your friendly face but it didn't work out that way. Don't know if I'll be able to this week. Maybe next Sunday, if you're at B&N. I was at two other B&Ns today, the one on 21st & 6th Avenue and the Union Square facility. Neither had exactly what I wanted but I found it somewhere else so I'm happy.

MBarnum

« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2004, 07:49:50 PM »

DR Ben, Anthony's miniature classroom is fantastic! I mean really fantastic! That is so cool and so well done!

td

• td
« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2004, 08:12:18 PM »

I, too, love Anthony's school room.  That is an awesome sight!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2004, 08:19:51 PM »

That school room model was awesomely impressive! I am always so wowed by folks who can use their hands to build things. I can't cut a straight line with a pair of scissors with a ruled line already drawn on the paper.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2004, 08:20:25 PM »

The only thing I know about SPAMALOT is that Doug Sills left the cast and was replaced by Chris Sieber.

Matt H.

« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2004, 08:21:22 PM »

When a local community theater did PROPOSALS here two years ago, it got RAVE reviews and did sellout business.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up