Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WINDMILLS OF MY MIND  (Read 18870 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:THE WINDMILLS OF MY MIND
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2004, 08:37:22 PM »

Here is Anthony's thumb to give you an idea of the scale

DR Ben, Anthony's (and his cousin's) classroom is wonderful!  I've always been fascinated by minitures.  Some Christmas, I want to build Santa's workshop.  Trouble is, I only get inspired to do such a project around Christmas and then there's never enough time to actually do such a thing.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2004, 08:43:51 PM »

Page Six Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2004, 08:46:38 PM »

Oy!  Such a night.

! ! ! ! !  RECOVERY VIBES FOR DR ELMORE'S FRIEND  ! ! ! ! !
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2004, 08:51:07 PM »

Hairspray is about dancing, winning the heart of the dreamiest guy around, and bringing about integration in Philadelphia in 1962.  (That, in the real world, Philly is still having problems is another story.

Hairspray takes place in Baltimore.  Not being nitpickerish here.  Believe me, I would love for the opening song in the show to be "Good Morning, Philadelphia!"
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2004, 09:00:25 PM »

DRPANNI - haven't read much about SPAMALOT - but then haven't been looking for info either.  Hmmmmmmmmm....

Such lovely photos from MB and BEN!

Late late late....time for bed, I guess.  yes, it is.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2004, 09:05:18 PM »

Dare you suggest that Simon's recent work, such as Proposals, 45 Seconds From Broadway, and The Dinner Party isn't as good as his hits from the 60's, Barefoot in the Park, The Odd Couple and Plaza Suite?  Have you actually seen these plays, or merely taken the time to play through several of their more famous songs?  Why, I have it on good authority that Proposals is done by regional and communtiy theatres all the time.  The fact that it failed on Broadway means nothing, I tell you, nothing!
Proposals and The Dinner Party both played in Los Angeles before moving to Broadway, and der Brucer and I saw them both, Proposals on his birthday as it happens.  Proposals debuted at the Ahmanson (where Caroline, or Change is currently playing), The Dinner Party at the Mark Taper Forum (where such Pulitzer winners as Angels in America and The Shadow Box were first staged).  And Ron Rifkin, who starred in Proposals in Los Angeles but knew better than to go further with it, later that year sat behind us on one of our flights to NYC, and we got to tell him how we enjoyed his work in the play, even though it was far from Simon's best.  (At the time, Rifkin was prepping instead for the Roundabout revival of Cabaret.)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 09:11:49 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2004, 09:09:32 PM »

Which other scores have disappointed you?

I answered, being careful to point out that my assessment of Children of Eden's score was based on playing through many of its songs, not seeing it.  It's not yet been produced in New York.

You countered that there's a real surprise in the way that God learns from his children, which, I'm guessing, is an aspect of Children of Eden's book as I've not encountered a Stephen Schwartz song featuring such a surprise.

It well may be that some shows are good enough for New York, but not good enough for regional and community theatre.  I don't know much about regional and community, as I've seen very little of it.  Most people seem to believe that some shows (Proposals seems to be an example) are good enough for regional and community, but not New York.  You want to believe differently, that's fine.

It's also fine to prefer recent Schwartz (Wicked, Children of Eden, Gepetto, The Prince of Egypt) to the old Schwartz (Pippin, Working, Godspell, The Baker's Wife, The Magic Show).  I'm rather fond of the five from the 1970s, three of which were among the longest running shows of that decade.  It may be a question of semantics, but I tend not to refer to individual pop songs as "scores" - I do admire Crowded Island and Life Goes On.

And if I ever heard "In Whatever Time We Have" at a wedding, I'd naturally assume either the bride or the groom is terminally ill.   :P
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2004, 09:09:58 PM »

Hairspray takes place in Baltimore.  Not being nitpickerish here.  Believe me, I would love for the opening song in the show to be "Good Morning, Philadelphia!"
I stand corrected.  Maybe if it had taken place in Philadelphia, they wouldn't have some of the tensions they do now.   :-\  (Dick Clark can't solve everything, I guess.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2004, 09:31:11 PM »

Quote from: Noel link=board=4;threadid=498;start=msg81630#msg81630 date=1102914572
[quote
It well may be that some shows are good enough for New York, but not good enough for regional and community theatre.  I don't know much about regional and community, as I've seen very little of it.  Most people seem to believe that some shows (Proposals seems to be an example) are good enough for regional and community, but not New York.  You want to believe differently, that's fine.
Huh?  Somehow, you've twisted around what I wrote.  I was stating how some shows, Children of Eden in particular, play well in regional and community theater, without having a NYC run, not that they aren't good enough for NYC.

There are a number of shows that have played very well elsewhere that fail in their NYC runs.  Two examples: Kat and the Kings won the Olivier in London, and was a hit there, but in spite of every effort couldn't get a successful run on Broadway.  Likewise, Accomplice by Rupert Holmes was a solid hit at the Pasadena Playhouse, extending it's run.  Broadway turned up it's nose.  (Both were shows that der B and I enjoyed.)

It's really too bad that you aren't familiar with regional American theater.  Who knows, some of your own shows might get an audience "out there."  They don't seem to be getting much play where you are now.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 09:33:35 PM by S. Woody White »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2004, 10:00:08 PM »

Good Evening!

...From Richmond...

The show went well tonight, but you could just feel everyone's spirits pick up as soon as the final notes were played... Day off!  ;)

The drive back to Richmond seemed long tonight, even though I hit no traffic, and I made very good time back down 95.  Just tired.  My mind was also racing with various thoughts and scenarios.  I did call two of my brothers just to check, again, what their plans were for tomorrow, and they both seemed "surprised" that I was thinking of staying up in Fairfax tomorrow, so...  At least I'm having "good guilts".

;)

Once I got back to the apartment, I was pleasantly surprised - but not truly unexpected - to find that the sink was clear, and the shelves in the bathroom had finally been cleaned!  My roomie also left a "message" on my dry-erase board: "Body Count - Mice: 1; Us: 0"  -I guess that means he found a mouse.

And, thankfully, the burned potato/toaster oven smell was no longer lingering in the apartment.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2004, 10:03:15 PM »

There were a few things I wanted to respond to after reading all the posts, but my mind is starting to shut down, so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2004, 10:04:21 PM »

OH!!!

DR IrisBeyer - Gerry McIntyre says, "Aw, shucks.."

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2004, 10:21:53 PM »

I'm back from dinner with our very own set designer Melissa Ficociello - who needed some sage career advice.  Instead I gave her some parsley, rosemary and thyme advice.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #163 on: December 12, 2004, 10:57:46 PM »

some of your own shows might get an audience "out there."  They don't seem to be getting much play where you are now.

Nope.  Only ten different shows produced in New York since 1981.

I'll be e & t until the second week in January.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: December 12, 2004, 11:02:20 PM »

You'll be errant and truant until the second week of January?  How come?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: December 12, 2004, 11:03:34 PM »

We mustn't have errant and truant people at Christmas time, it is Unseemly.  I'm sure you can find a computer, Noel, can't you?  After all, we must have Noel in the time of Noel, don't you think?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: December 12, 2004, 11:59:26 PM »

I do wish that after all this time, the snippiness with some posts here would abate.  I find it completely unnecessary - a difference of opinion is fine, but when that difference gets snippy, I find it puts us in a league with other sites - it's not what we're about here and once again I'm asking everyone to be careful of that sort of thing.  There is simply no reason for it at a site such as this.  Thank you.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up