Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CHICKEN IS THE THEME  (Read 15972 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:CHICKEN IS THE THEME
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2004, 07:52:01 PM »

Tonight I must sup with Harlan Ellison.   Tomorrow we get a new dog.  I don't think there is any discernable connection to those to sentences.
If Mr. Ellison is a dog person, you'll be able to share stories.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2004, 07:52:53 PM »

Page Five Dance:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Chow Chow Chow![/size][/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2004, 07:55:20 PM »

I didn't know from Chevalier aside his appearance in Gigi.  But I can certainly understand his appeal after watching him in Love Me Tonight.

Well, you MUST get a copy of the cast album of WHOOP=UP to hear Maurice's indescribable rendition of one of that show's hit songs "Nobody Throw Those Bull." No, he wasn't in the original cast. This was offered as a bonus track. Maurice did it as a cover to the song from the smash hit show.

:D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2004, 07:56:15 PM »

Vibes for Jed!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2004, 08:01:57 PM »

If Edie and Mimi pass on it why don't you and DB Jay work it up and take it for a spin?

Maybe BK would produce/direct it for you!

:D

That's an awfully sweet thought, Dear Reader RLP.  But, my dear, if you ever heard me sing you would understand why this could not possibly happen.  Besides which, The Dear Brother has far shaplier legs than I and I would not want to be embarrassed in front of theaters full of people.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2004, 08:05:43 PM »

Jennifer:  It should not matter who the lady is or thinks she is.  Customer service is an "institution"...and the customer is always right.
Uh...wrong.

The customer is not always right.  The customer can be very wrong, in demanding things that he/she doesn't deserve, or demanding that a product be handled in such a way as to make it inferior.

I've had to deal with customers who wanted discounts that were not in effect, such as handing two coupons to the cashier at once when each clearly stated "not valid with any other discount."  

And there is a well-known story about chef Mark Peel at Campanile in Los Angeles, who had to deal with a customer who a) demanded that a chicken breast sandwich be served without it's standard dressing, and then b) complained that the sandwich, without the dressing, was "too dry."

In both of these cases, the turning point was when the customers became quite loud and, sadly, used obscene and abusive language.  The customer is always right?  Not at that point, ever.

Fortunately, DR Jennifer is not the sort who would treat the staff in that manner.  Nor was she asking for anything out of the ordinary.  This particular customer was certainly right.

What I would suggest, DR Jennifer, is writing a letter to the management, detailing to them what you have told us.  I would further couch the letter in terms that make it clear that, since you are a frequent customer your own continued patronage is not in question, but you would not want to be a first-time customer and receive such treatment.  Make it clear to the management that you are, in fact, on the store's side, and want to help them make sure their image is spotless.

Christmas, and holiday shopping, is just around the corner, after all.

Jay

« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »

I can't help but wonder what a two hundred thousand dollar necklace would look like.

Regardless of what it looked like (though I picture rubies surrounded by diamonds--and I don't mean rhinestones), I am more than certain that the person who sold it to you would have offered you a red box for it without question.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 08:20:58 PM by Jay »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2004, 08:09:11 PM »

Back from seeing video footage, which looks better than I could have imagined.  It's being cut together by some editor guy (who works on The Simpsons) and I'll see what he's done next week.  
If Susan or Tammy ends up with Marge's hair, I'd protest.

Jay

« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2004, 08:19:42 PM »

Dyed in the wool Democrat and Kerry supporter that I am, I looked at the debate tonight as objectively as I could and saw, essentially, Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee going at it.  It was a case of his word against his.  I can't imagine any undecided voter being swayed by this debate, which is ironic, because the members of the studio audience, supposedly, were all screened by the Gallup Organization and determined to be bona fide undecided voters.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2004, 08:22:51 PM »

I have a god reclining on my bed.

Zeus has joined us in our household, at least for now.  As predicted, it was sad for the family he had to leave.  But staying with us, even for a while, is much better than having to stay at the pound (and that would be guaranteed to be a short stay  :P).

He's a very nice dog, of totally uncertain lineage.  From what his previous family said, they found him as a stray near where they live a few years ago.  He was already housebroken, and they found him towards the end of summer, which suggests that he might have been owned by a summer family (people staying as resorters for the summer), who then discarded him as they left for home.  He was also a pup at the time, maybe nine months old according to their vet, which further suggests the first owner theory.

He has a lovely disposition, very quiet and friendly.  He loves to be petted, and handles being on a leash very well, almost showing off.

Right now, Zeus is asleep on my bed, with Bonnie close by and Marty on the floor.  Buster is under my bed, snoozing away.  

Now, we just need to find Zeus a good home.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2004, 08:23:40 PM »

Dyed in the wool Democrat and Kerry supporter that I am, I looked at the debate tonight as objectively as I could and saw, essentially, Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee going at it.  It was a case of his word against his.  I can't imagine any undecided voter being swayed by this debate, which is ironic, because the members of the studio audience, supposedly, were all screened by the Gallup Organization and determined to be bona fide undecided voters.

DRJay, this ardent democrat feels much the same, and I wanted to feel my boy won.  I was disappointed in Bush's answer to his three mistakes, because I don't believe he thinks he's made any, except for a few apointments, and I think he's made quite a few!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2004, 08:24:13 PM »

I just finished watching the video footage of the entire closing weekend Friday night performance, which was a really good show for the most part.  The editor had "roughed" together Act One and it looked excellent, and Act Two was all from one camera angle for now but when it's put together it too will look excellent.   I have asked that about four numbers come from the Saturday night performance, where they were stronger, so he'll add those by the next time I see it, which should be late next week.   But we have a really good video record of the show, for which I'm really grateful.

Jay

« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2004, 08:33:00 PM »

Let me add:  I consider Supreme Court appointments a highly critical aspect of this election, though it has not received much coverage in the press or emphasis in the campaign dialogue.  I thought the President's initially flippant response to the question about the matter quite telling, and Senator Kerry's stated requirement of Constitutional objectivity the answer I'd hoped to hear.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 08:59:31 PM by Jay »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2004, 08:44:09 PM »

Ann Coulter, that horror, is on Larry King right now.  She says Iraq has been a success, and I think the peroxide's given her varicose brains.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 08:46:57 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

François de Paris

« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2004, 08:47:18 PM »

Now, we just need to find Zeus a good home.

Yours! :)

François de Paris

« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2004, 08:53:42 PM »

She says Iraq has been a success,

Seen from another planet, yes!

Who people like that are trying to foul!????

Afghanistan is a success!
Tchetchenia is a success!
North Corea is a success!
Suddan is a success!
Of course, in "success" there's "suck!" :o

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2004, 08:55:50 PM »

Why is that all these Republican female pundits like Anne Coulter are always blonde, anorexic, pinched blondes with anger pouring out of every pore.

We may have talked about Ian Tyson before Elmore.  He's really gotten into cowboy music.  I love a song of his called Barrel-Racing Angel.

We ended up not having dinner with Harlan tonight,postponed till monday.  He is a dog guy...You must read the piece he wrote about his dog, Abu, sometime.  

He did put The Lovely Wife in tears today.  He sent us over a book.  A new edition of STRANGE WINE.  The Dedication reads: "This one, with love, for my friends, JULIEANNE and CHARLES EDWARD POGUE.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2004, 08:57:22 PM »

Good job vibes to Jed.

Perhaps an unpopular view, but I think life is too short and too filled with hardship and tragedy to get so upset about jewelry boxes. I also don't believe in getting people fired over such a relatively silly matter. Do we know what was going on in the life of that clerk that made her so testy (other than the confrontation itself)? Do we know if she has a family to support? Is it REALLY that important to make sure that she loses her job?

Panni

« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2004, 08:59:39 PM »

Back in ye olde days in Canada, I loved watching and listening to Ian and Sylvia. What a talented and gorgeous couple they were!

Panni

« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2004, 09:00:33 PM »

Anne Coulter makes me sick. Blechhhh!

François de Paris

« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2004, 09:06:18 PM »

Good job vibes to Jed.

Perhaps an unpopular view, but I think life is too short and too filled with hardship and tragedy to get so upset about jewelry boxes. I also don't believe in getting people fired over such a relatively silly matter. Do we know what was going on in the life of that clerk that made her so testy (other than the confrontation itself)? Do we know if she has a family to support? Is it REALLY that important to make sure that she loses her job?

I've said it before and i'm saying it again; you're a sweet person Panni -- in case you had to be told!! ;)

I support your view on this!

This person is "more to be pitied than censured"! :D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2004, 09:10:05 PM »

Good job vibes to Jed.

Yes! Sack her butt!  

Actually,I agree with DRSWW, in his comments earlier; I find the customer is usually wrong, and then it all depends on how you handle their frustration.  When I first started at the Upper West Side Barnes & Noble in 1998, the cashiers brought me a hostile woman who'd thrown a fit with the cashiers because a book she was told would be held for her wasn't at the register.  We didn't have copies of the book, and she became quite vituperative, even moreso when I asked if she might have called another store in error, so I got her name and called the nearest B&N.  It turned out her book was being held at the Lincoln Center Barnes & Noble, which she'd called instead of the Upper West Side store.  Was she grateful?  Not a bit.  She let us know what fools we were for making her look like the dumb ass she obviously was.  We have one customer whose entire goal is to come into the store daily and let the clerks know what uneducated fools they are, and last winter she made a scene because the stupid clerk in the film/theatre section couldn't find an autobiography of Marni Nixon, which is currently being written.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 09:13:10 PM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2004, 09:11:16 PM »

Anne Coulter makes me sick. Blechhhh!

She's truly a loathesome horror who's narrow mind and frightening outlook remind me of the more winning traits of Eva Braun.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2004, 09:12:04 PM »

I've said it before and i'm saying it again; you're a sweet person Panni -- in case you had to be told!! ;)

I support your view on this!

This person is "more to be pitied than censured"! :D

Only a bird in a gilded cage!

Jay

« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2004, 09:13:26 PM »

Dear Readers S. Woody White and Elmore3003 have correctly pointed out that the customer is NOT necessarily always right.  The customer, however, IS always the customer.  Jennifer's request was a simple one and one that had been fulfilled in the past.  The clerk's offer to take back the merchandise in lieu of meeting her request was not only uncalled for, it was rude.  I can assure you that The Bay's management would be appalled to learn of the clerk's suggestion.  People who are rude to customers have no business being in customer service oriented businesses.  As you can probably tell, this is a soapbox issue for me, someone who cut his career teeth in the retail business.  When merchants expect to take my good money in exchange for merchandise, I expect to be treated with respect.  I am not suggesting that this clerk be fired, but she needs to understand that without satisfied customers, there would be no The Bay and, in turn, there would be no job for her there.  If she's intent on insulting customers, then she should work for the government.

(Okay, that last sentence was a joke.)

And, Dear Reader Panni, I do not recall you being so concerned with the bank's employees' life issues at home when you dealt with your deposit going astray the other day.  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 09:20:19 PM by Jay »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2004, 09:19:29 PM »

We may have talked about Ian Tyson before Elmore.  He's really gotten into cowboy music.  I love a song of his called Barrel-Racing Angel.

DRCharlesPogue, I just looked up his CDs on B&N.com, and I really had no idea he was still recording.  I shouldn't be surprised:  Eric Andersen, whose "Thirsty Boots" is another favorite song, is still recording.  Which of his albums has the song you mentioned?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: October 08, 2004, 09:24:07 PM »

I, too, believe that the customer is not always right.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: October 08, 2004, 09:29:45 PM »

Countdown to 70,000 posts: A mere 750 to go.

I'm about to get in the Jacuzzi to soothe my aching muscles (aching because of all the coughing I was doing up until yesterday).  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #148 on: October 08, 2004, 09:41:12 PM »

Good Evening!

Tonight was my last audit night for The Producers.  I'm on for tomorrow's matinee.  Thankfully, I was "pre-warned" that the other Leo understudy will be going on, and that he sings two of his songs in different keys, so I was able to practice those charts in advance.  I'm feeling OK about the whole situation.  I'm just trying not to get overwhelmed with all the stuff I have to get done before leaving for Houston on Monday - well, leaving for DC on Sunday night.  I really don't have to do that much "stuff", but it's just matter of finding the time to do it.  -At least I did some tidying up in the kitchen as soon as I got back from the show tonight.

I've also been fighting some bug/cold thingy the past few days.  It may just be my fall allergies, but something just doesn't feel "right".  We'll see.  At least the "tiredness" helps to keep my adrenaline in check - which will come in handy during tomorrow's matinee.  And, boy, I can already tell I'll be breathing a huge sigh of relief as soon as the Exit Music finishes.  And then Steve and I are supposed to have dinner tomorrow night.  I am definitely taking tomorrow night "off" - I just need the break.  And I just want to spend an evening with Steve too.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2004, 09:42:11 PM »

Elmore, the song I mentioned was put on a CD of eclectic cowboy songs that a friend burned for me.  I don't know what album it's on.

I, as well, do not believe the customer is always right...which is why I rarely ever worked retail and never worked food service.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up