Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: IT'S SHOW TIME  (Read 10950 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: IT'S SHOW TIME
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2010, 08:39:09 AM »

Released in France.

That is the title of the movie version of my memoirs in South America.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2010, 08:41:52 AM »

Did anyone hear that Dumbo is going to be late?  

I hope she's not pregnant.
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2010, 09:07:20 AM »

Monday morning afternoon greetings!  There is great weariness in our household this morning - good thing the Easter bunny left us all LOTS of chocolate in our baskets when he visited last night.  Mary Linda is still here, but will leave to return to Michigan this afternoon.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2010, 09:10:23 AM »

From Jose:
DRs JMK and Jane - Have you ever spotted THIS road sign?

*Courtesy of Timothy Hutton via Twitter.

LOL-Yes, as has Keith.  I would be surprised if DR MBarnum as also seen it ;)

Why a town would be named Boring always boggles my mind.  Showing Keith the sign reminded him of the rather strange, sexually, named towns in Pennsylvania.  In all fairness to the PA towns, they may not have realized what they were doing. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2010, 09:15:34 AM »

Dumbo was postponed   

I know a few Dumbos running around Manhattan. Several were seen last week at the Library of Congress.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2010, 09:16:49 AM »

DR Ben I think it is great you overcame your fear of heights to help Anthony.  I also have a fear of heights & am often amazed at the things I have done in spite of it.  Because of that ability I've also gotten myself into a few tight jams thinking I would be fine when I wasn't.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2010, 09:18:15 AM »

DR Sam, WELCOME BACK & MAY YOU HAVE MANY HAPPY YEARS IN YOUR NEW HOME!!!

I'm so very happy you are out of that horrible building!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2010, 09:41:47 AM »

MBarnum has apparently taken a leave of absence - he'll probably miss out on LSOH. :)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2010, 09:54:56 AM »

It's hard to know why Dumbo was postponed here - it's now been released in France, the UK, Japan, and Spain.
Maybe with the talk of a Broadway musical based on the show, they wanted to release it closer to the opening?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2010, 09:57:29 AM »

I is here, just catching up.

Is LSOH the same sountrack as WASP WOMAN? I am trying to remember.

I love mashed pototoes and gravy.

I love baked potatoes with butter and sour cream

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2010, 09:58:25 AM »

It has some of the same music, from what I've read.

Jane

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2010, 09:58:45 AM »

I finished reading THE RED LEATHER DIARY.  While I enjoyed it, I don't seem to love it as others have.  At times I was a bit bored & tired of the writing style.  On the whole I'm not a fan of "Stream of Consciousness" writing & was very distracted by this.

I'll be curious what those of you who read the book think, or if you agree with me I labeled the style correctly.

John G.

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2010, 09:59:10 AM »

TOD: Lately, I like my potatoes sliced thin and cooked in a pancake with plenty of butter and shallots. The bottom layer gets all crackly, like homemade potato chips.

Here's a link to the recipe: http://www.savorsa.com/2010/03/shallots-boost-flavor-in-potato-pancake/
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2010, 10:03:20 AM »

DR John G, that recipe looks delicious, and fattening ;)

John G.

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2010, 10:12:21 AM »

DR John G, that recipe looks delicious, and fattening ;)
Yes, the potatoes will kill you.
― Voltaire

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2010, 10:19:33 AM »

TOD

I can't remember a time without potatoes and I can't imagine a world without them. 

I can't think of a potato I didn't like.  Perhaps that explains the fat jeans.

"Be sure to tune in for our next Hallmark Hall of Fame presentation, A TIME WITHOUT POTATOES, starring Phylicia Rashad and  Bonnie Franklin."
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2010, 10:34:20 AM »

I may have to just try that potato recipe - shallots and butter - actually, I probably don't need the potato - just the shallots and butter would be fine.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2010, 10:36:21 AM »

I finished reading THE RED LEATHER DIARY.  While I enjoyed it, I don't seem to love it as others have.  At times I was a bit bored & tired of the writing style.  On the whole I'm not a fan of "Stream of Consciousness" writing & was very distracted by this.

I'll be curious what those of you who read the book think, or if you agree with me I labeled the style correctly.

I'm not sure that I would label it as stream of consciousness, DR Jane.  I thought it very much in a reportive style.  I appreciated how Koppel filled out Florence's life story by sticking to facts and not making any assumptions.

As to why I enjoyed the book, I've said that I have a great love for that time period, particularly dealing with New York City.  And Florence, to me, was a marvel of a girl--the things she had accomplished and her progressive philosophy of life--I fell in love with her!  I just found it a very inspirations book.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2010, 10:42:55 AM »

I've been wondering if they still make diaries that are in the style that Florence Wolfson used in THE RED LEATHER DIARY--a five year journal in which one would write an entry for the same day on the same page throughout the years (that is, the entries for April 5th 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 would all be on the same page.)  I think that would be interesting to use...

(Florence Wolfson's Red Leather Diary)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:44:37 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2010, 10:54:53 AM »

DtM I was very aware at times a reporter was writing the story, too aware. 

Florence's story was certainly different from what I would have expected during that time period.;D  Yes, I did like Koppel filled in the story without making assumptions.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2010, 10:56:09 AM »

I kept thinking if I had a diary like that I would have filled it in, instead of one with blank pages.  Though imagine if Florence had had one with blank pages ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2010, 10:58:43 AM »

TOD

I can't remember a time without potatoes and I can't imagine a world without them. 

"Be sure to tune in for our next Hallmark Hall of Fame presentation, A TIME WITHOUT POTATOES, starring Phylicia Rashad and  Bonnie Franklin."

Does it take place in Ireland around 1850?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2010, 11:01:17 AM »

I kept thinking if I had a diary like that I would have filled it in, instead of one with blank pages.  Though imagine if Florence had had one with blank pages ;)

I wonder--would she have filled it up in a month's time?  That's what I like about the multi-day-to-a-page diary--you would have to distill your thoughts into a few sentences at most (instead of trying to describe every single thing that happened that day, which was my problem with keeping journals--it eventually becomes a chore to me.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:02:52 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2010, 11:04:35 AM »

TOD

Does it take place in Ireland around 1850?

Either then or in North Carolina, 1941--depends on how much money Hallmark coughs up for the budget...
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2010, 11:19:33 AM »

I wonder--would she have filled it up in a month's time?  That's what I like about the multi-day-to-a-page diary--you would have to distill your thoughts into a few sentences at most (instead of trying to describe every single thing that happened that day, which was my problem with keeping journals--it eventually becomes a chore to me.)

LOL-I think she should have with her love of writing.  Personally I would have found the multi-day-to-day less daunting.

Ginny

« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2010, 11:50:34 AM »

DR Jane - I read RLD at about the same time I started using Twitter.  I kept thinking about how, years from now, someone will be able to write a book using a prolific Twitterer's tweets as the skeleton.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2010, 12:18:22 PM »

;D

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2010, 12:40:58 PM »

Exactly - go through the director.  I asked for that to happen, was promised it would, and then, of course, I found out what was going on, was promised again - and again - and it happened again last night.  I wrote what I thought was a strong but nice e-mail - have had no response yet and if I continue to have no response then today could get very hairy - unfortunately for the perp, the cast is totally on my side, as are the composer and lyricist.

Are we then to gather it is the book writer who is giving the unauthorized notes to actors?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2010, 01:06:11 PM »

Should we have posted a NO SPOILER alert that Dumbo has been postponed?

I think maybe the time has passed for that.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »

TOD:

I love potatoes no matter how they're prepared. My favorite way is the way fried potatoes are prepared at Western Sizzlin' steakhouses. Unquestionably the best I have ever had (and I haven't had them in 15 years or more since they don't have them around here any more.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up