Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: LUXURIATING  (Read 24805 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
LUXURIATING
« on: May 26, 2006, 12:11:03 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you luxuriated in the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the luxuriating cows come home - they're off pondering Gladiator: The Musical.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 12:13:23 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:LUXURIATING
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 12:12:37 AM »

And the word of the day is: FLIPPANT!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 03:11:27 AM »

Thirteen weeks in Sacramento can indeed seem like five years.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 03:12:06 AM »

Tnappilf.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 03:13:38 AM »

My stitches were taken out yesterday.  While I'm still nowhere near drop-dead gawjuss, I don't look that much the worse for wear.

Cillaliz

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 03:14:41 AM »

Good morning DR Woody

Cillaliz

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 03:15:40 AM »

Glad to hear the stitches came out and things are well

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 03:30:23 AM »

MEDIA REPORT:

BOOKS!

No, really, books.  It's all I've got time for these days.

Anthony Bourdain's The Nasty Bits, and Michael Ruhlman's The Stretch of a Chef.

Yep, more food stuff.

Here's the fun part.  Bourdain and Ruhlman are real-life buds, even though Bourdain is this six-four booze-swilling hooligan from New Yawk with a leather jacket and tats, and Ruhlman is a six-four family man from Cleveland Heights with a button-down collar, total opposites.  

Nasty Bits is a compilation of articles that Bourdain has written for various others, plus some new stuff.  Dipping into it, I found him raving rapturously about a meal he had at Masa, a mucho expensive sushi restaurant at the Time Warner building in NYC.  One of his pals for the dinner happened to be Ruhlman.

Wait a sec.  Chapter index, in Reach of a Chef, yep, there it is, a chapter on Masa.  And what meal does Ruhlman just happen to be writing about?  The one he shared with Bourdain, of course.  (Bourdain, in his account, admits to cribbing from Ruhlman's notes as to exactly what they ate.)

Ruhlman is a journalist, cool, examining.  Bourdain is a sensualist, raging, a living exclamation point.  All the same, these two books, just released, are begging me to read them at the same time, flipping from one to the other.

I'm going to have fun!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 03:30:52 AM »

Good morning, Cillaliz!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 03:44:42 AM »

And now I must prepare for work.  I'll try to catch up when I get back.

Danise

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 04:16:07 AM »

Good morning all!

S. Woody White, I am so glad that everything turned out ok for you with your stitches.  Just be glad it wasn't a mean dog and do to you what that dog did to that lady who lost her face.

Jane, I'm also sorry for your friends health problems.  I'm glad that she doesn't have cancer.  Just the mention of the C word is enough to scare someone half to death.  Remember how frightened I was when it was mentioned a time or two.  

Matt, I still would have liked to have seen Meat Loaf.  If he has lost some of his voice, so be it.  I still like him.

Good morning, Elmore and DearReaderLaura!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 04:17:21 AM »

School has ended for the summer here in Florida so the roads shouldn't be as crowded as they used to be.  That might affect the amount of time I can be on the computer on the bus.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 04:18:03 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 04:19:17 AM »

I can't speak for anyone else but I am really looking forward to this 3 day weekend off.  I know I had the whole month of March off but it still feels like forever since I've had any time away.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ben

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 04:23:01 AM »

Good morning all.

I have no plans to view anything video or audio this weekend. I am listening to the BBC right now but soon I will be on a bus to DC where I shall laugh and relax and have a wonderful time with dear friends and on Sunday we shall see Mame at the Kennedy Center.

I, like Woody, do have a book right now. Something to read on the bus and also before I go to sleep each night. I'm reading Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections. I began it yesterday. I'm also re-reading Josh Logan's autobiography but I'm leaving that one home on the night table.

I will pop in and out before I leave but after that I won't be around until Monday afternoon.

Danise

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 04:24:07 AM »

Cillaliz, I am glad that you are taking it easy.  Sometimes we all need a break from work.  I think we should have the summer off like the kids do.  Either that or I propose changing the work week to 5 days off, 2 days work.  Of course we still would receive the same (or better!) pay.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 04:24:42 AM »

Just as I thought, we're getting off the interstate early.  Gotta go!
Laters all!

:)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 04:25:30 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ben

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 04:25:35 AM »

I had a wonderful, albeit short, time with Tom and Antonia at Dusk last night. I left early because I needed to pack for the DC trip but it was fun to raise a glass to Antonia's great accomplishment. Whether she works for the Jewish Board or some other organization, the people for whom she works will be getting a real gem. Congrats, again TPunk and good luck with the job search. Have fun this long weekend!

Ben

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 04:29:11 AM »

Back in the day my office used to have what they called "Summer Hours". What a treat. You chose to take either Monday or Friday off and to do that you worked extra hours the other four days. Once you chose your day you couldn't change it but that was never a problem. Ah, those long 3-day weekends in the mid-80s. It allowed for a lot of extra travelling. I was in DC so much it was like a second home. We don't have that luxury anymore. As much fun as it was, I don't miss it. I don't know if I could get all my work done even with the extra time four days a week. I would rather be able to take off all of December (which I do anyway).

Ben

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 04:29:46 AM »

Larry was here but he seems to have popped out. I'm about to pop out also.

So long for now.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 04:38:44 AM »

My stitches were taken out yesterday.  While I'm still nowhere near drop-dead gawjuss, I don't look that much the worse for wear.

DR SWW, I know you will be your handsome self in no time at all!

Good morning, all!  I'm shortly on my way to Toyland and Dylan on his way to Barnes & Noble.  Last night Dylan and I watched THE HOUSE OF WAX on HBO; celebutramp Paris Hilton is as pathetic in a role as she was as herself on THE REAL LIFE.  We also watched Mario Cantone's LAUGH WHORE, which made me laugh a lot.  All else is quiet on this western front.

TOD:
   DVD:  KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS, THE LADY KILLERS (original)
   CD:  Jule Styne in Hollywood, Mr Guy Haines, Defying Gravity
   VCR:  locked up until Septemberr
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 04:40:04 AM »

Wait a sec.  Chapter index, in Reach of a Chef, yep, there it is, a chapter on Masa.  

And here I thought Masa was in the cold, cold ground!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 04:48:48 AM »

I have no plans to view anything video or audio this weekend. I am listening to the BBC right now but soon I will be on a bus to DC where I shall laugh and relax and have a wonderful time with dear friends and on Sunday we shall see Mame at the Kennedy Center.

I, like Woody, do have a book right now. Something to read on the bus and also before I go to sleep each night. I'm reading Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections. I began it yesterday. I'm also re-reading Josh Logan's autobiography but I'm leaving that one home on the night table.

Good morning, DR Danise and DR Ben!  

I'm reading the new British publication BRITTEN'S CHILDREN, about composer Benjamin Britten and his friendships with children, especially those who performed in his works or studied with him.  The book began as a BBC tv documentary, based on interviews with the late actor David Hemmings, pianist Ronan Magill, and other children with whom he formed friendships throughout his life.  It's a nice alternative to Britten's last biographer's broad hints of pedophilia.  I'm also beginning Luke Yankee's bio of his mother Eileen Heckart, oneof my favorite actresses,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 04:49:50 AM »

DR Ben, have a great weekend!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 04:59:16 AM »

Bio of Eileen Heckart....hmmmm.....what does it have to say about THE BAD SEED play and movie?

BUS STOP.....hmmmm....she certainly had an interesting career.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 05:00:34 AM »

TOD:

DVD - Prime Time.  A movie from the late 70's that has some funny things in it, some talented people....but isn't much to see.

VCR - THE BEST OF EVERYTHING

CD:  Mario Frangoulis The Tampa Concert!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 05:05:21 AM »

Yes MR BK - the pilot for YOUNG LOVE is indeed included in the Season Three Box Set of The DORIS DAY Show!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 05:06:06 AM »

I am working today as well, DR SWW.  

Cat vibes and friend vibes to ALL!

Tomovoz

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2006, 05:12:05 AM »

TOTD:

DVD:  DP and I have been enjoying Series One of "Arrrested Development".

CDs:  Some surprises in preparation for DR MBarnum!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2006, 05:25:56 AM »

I'm listening to the Highlights CD of Unsung Irving Berlin. I took it to the office since I've just transferred the complete series from tape to CD.

BK I'm just enjoying this CD so much again! I haven't listened to it for quite a while. Now that I have the whole thing on two CDs I'll be listening often. I love your take on You're a Sucker for a Dame and I love the last number. If You Haven't Got An Ear for Music which was Donald's old opening and closing song for the other radio show at  :-X  :-X  :-X  :-X    ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 05:55:07 AM by Ben »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2006, 05:29:44 AM »

My Media Check

iPod:  Huey Lewis and the News Greatest Hits

Tivo:  nothing of particular interest

DVD:  Jim Henson's THE STORYTELLER.  I don't know if this has been out for a while or not, but I spotted it on the New Release rack at Target this week and picked it up.  I loved this shot series when it first appeared on NBC years ago--a wonderful blend of storytelling and visuals.  This is a 2-disc set, which also contains THE STORYTELLER:  GREEK LEGENDS, a series I've never laid eyes on.

It would be nice if they released Shelley Duvall's Fairy Tale Theatre on disc.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up